Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are there are any plans to do a MODERN SP version?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Are there are any plans to do a MODERN SP version? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are there are any plans to do a MODERN SP version? - 6/19/2000 9:35:00 AM   
Calvin

I was wondering if there were any plans to upgrade SP2 the way SPWAW has revolutionized SP1? OK, that's asking a lot, but man would that be fun! Calvin

Post #: 1
- 6/19/2000 9:53:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

There's Steel Panthers:The Nam which covers a more modern time period and not just limited to the Vietnam conflict. I'm not sure when it's coming out but from what I've read it'll be sometime after the second SPWAW patch. As if we've not been spoilt enough, eh?

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 2
- 6/19/2000 11:01:00 AM   
David Heath

The truth is we are playing with the idea of droping the SPNAM only game and making a SP Modern Warfare game. It would cover 1950 - 2005. SPWAW was a big task and we still are not done so we don't want to jump into this. If we get enough gamers asking we will really think about doing it. Hey better yet if you would like to see a modern version based on SPWAW developed by Matrix Games Post a note here and lets see what type of response we get. [This message has been edited by David Heath (edited 06-19-2000).]

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 3
- 6/19/2000 11:38:00 AM   
nikb

Ripper, you can count one vote from me. Nik

Nik

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 4
- 6/19/2000 11:41:00 AM   
Adak

I am all for it! Adak

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 5
- 6/19/2000 11:51:00 AM   
victorhauser

The problems with doing a post-WW2 version of SP are immense. Not only is the timespan much larger (on the order of 50+ years compared to 10 with SPWAW), the complexities of more recent battlefield technologies are much more difficult to model as well. I don't think either SP2 or SP3 succeeded very well (this is not a flame of those games but rather a recognition of the magnitude of what they were attempting). We gave up trying to play "modern" SP3 and concentrated on WW2 instead since the game model worked much better with WW2. To name just one problem we had with "modern" SP3, the Apache attack helicopter proved so dominant in our games that play balance was totally ruined. The side with Apaches won and the side without them lost. Here's how. Take your Apaches and "absorb" them together into units of 6 Apaches each (and you can use the rating of the best Apache when absorbing the lesser Apaches into it and it will retain the ratings of that best unit). Now, with your 6-Apache "platoons" you simply fly into the direct rear of any AFV unit within range and blast away with your cannon at 1-hex range. Bye bye AFV unit. I'm glossing over details like AA missiles and stuff, but believe me it can be done and easier than you might think. I remember playing the SP3 Vietnam campaign and converting as many of my core troops to Hueys and Cobras as I could (once again using the "absorb" feature to create large, 6-copter platoons of each). Once airmobile, I won the remaining battles in the campaign (it was a short campaign) by ridiculous scores. In fact, I won 2 battles without suffering a single point of damage. Scores like 5993 to 8, 6012 to 0, stuff like that. And this is even after I'd jacked up the AI settings. Indeed, once we got our platoons of Apaches (not the 'Nam campaign, but several different generated "modern" campaigns), we had to set the computer to 250% tank toughness just to make the games even remotely interesting. But I digress... I've no doubt that if Matrix Games decides to tackle a post-WW2 version of SP, then they will do a wonderful job. But producing it won't be nearly as "easy" as SPWAW has been for them to produce. And we all know how "easy" it's been for them to produce SPWAW, right?

VAH

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 6
- 6/19/2000 12:20:00 PM   
Pack Rat

Very simply put,"you would get my money". That a game of this scale and complexity can be done and will be done is just a question of time and by whom. I'm not much for eye candy and real time, but throw in a control for the speed of the game and 3d modeling so the hits can be modeled right and you've got something. I'd even buy the units as installments, kind of like I did as a kid with my HO scale tanks and troops. Every so often as I saved my money I could afford that Tiger tank or the group of new German troops to go with my collection. Now I'm not asking you to take me back some 40 years, wouldn't want to, WAW is better ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 7
- 6/19/2000 12:57:00 PM   
fdlu

I would like very much a modern SP

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 8
- 6/19/2000 2:42:00 PM   
Six-pk

Would I like to play a 'modern version based on SPWAW developed by Matrix Games'?.... YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES HOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo......... Six

Six-pk

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 9
- 6/19/2000 3:07:00 PM   
O de B

Adding my vote for the modern scale of WaW ! Oh, BTW victorhauser, when i played SP2, i modified the OOB to include AA/Sams into the HQ formation of the enemy in campaigns. This way the AI always had some. Added them too into On-map Arty formations. I can tell you that with such mods, your helos will have better to stay way back from the frontline until the enemy is broken Then they can be of use to mop up. Unless you want to buy them back at each scen of course

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 10
- 6/19/2000 3:08:00 PM   
Plukh

Wow! I'm all for SP:Modern Warfare! Regards, Plukh.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 11
- 6/19/2000 4:37:00 PM   
Infanterie

Umm, modern version... might be interesting, but ONLY if the future development of SP WAW won't suffer from it. I've always been more of a WW2 freak, modern warfare is too quick and easy, weapons too accurate. --OP

"The bravery of being out of range..."

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 12
- 6/19/2000 5:28:00 PM   
Recon_slith

Up to 2005 from 1950? That's a looong period and also would include weapons still in development when it's hard enough to get the WW2 gear correct and complete. Better break it up into SP'NAM and another, later period SP title. I really think you would be biting off more than can be conveniently chewed. ------------------ Wait for Death. There's a choice? Recon

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 13
- 6/19/2000 5:36:00 PM   
krull

I'd love it.But it is rather a large under taking.Maybe you should break it up into time periods.Maybe allow campaign carry over from one to another time period would help? HAHAh I already have a place set aside on my Game shelf for any thing yall make.So bring it on guys I love yalls work. Semper Fi

Krull

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 14
- 6/19/2000 6:05:00 PM   
grockall

I would certainly like a new modern SP to cover more than just vietnam. On the other hand the Nam game does seem a more practical proposition than going all the way to 2005. I am currently looking at SP3:Moderna but don't really like playing with the larger units.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 15
- 6/19/2000 6:45:00 PM   
Fabio Prado

A SP WaW Modern Version? If I want it? Yessssssssssssssssssss!!!!! Fabio

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 16
- 6/19/2000 7:47:00 PM   
troopie

Have to say YES!. Would we still get the same things we'd get with SP-Nam? And could you use all 78 OOB slots in the SP3 engine? It would take lots of time, but I can wait. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 17
- 6/19/2000 7:49:00 PM   
Panther

You have my vote. Panther

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 18
- 6/19/2000 9:09:00 PM   
johnfmonahan

Yes, I will buy it, but I would prefer a rewrite of SP3 to the SPWAW standards. I prefer the SP3 scale.

When in doubt, go on line.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 19
- 6/19/2000 9:33:00 PM   
Blubbs!

A modern version would be cool. But could you do it in a way that you all could see something for all your hard work. Thanks a lot guys for everything.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 20
- 6/19/2000 9:34:00 PM   
Brian Rock

I'd be for it, modern warfare fanatic that I am. To fix the Apache dominance problem: a) make sure AAA and SAMs have the appropriate lethality. b) make sure the other DF weapons (and lucky Indirect Fire for that matter) have the appropriate lethality, and c) make helos worth about eight billion points.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 21
- 6/19/2000 9:42:00 PM   
talon

Well a modern version would be cool but I also think the period is to long for one game so mabye it would be better in at last two versions . And Nam was never modeled well so I would love to get your NAM focused version because this should be great

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 22
- 6/19/2000 10:33:00 PM   
PanzerMeyer

Yup, a SP Modern Version definitley gets my vote. the 249 units would have to be expanded though, ive done a fair few mobs w/sp2 and ran out of room, especially for the USA and USMC. Maybe SPNAM and a modern warfare version, say 1970s to 2010 or so. Could be really good. Also, for a SPModernWarfare to be half decent, yould really need more countries than the 42 given. Once you start to take in the Cubas, the Bosnias, Croatias, Ethiopias etc as well as the 'States and Russia, youve got a hell of a lot of countries. Great idea, but might tike a hell of a long time. ------------------ Meine Ehre HeiBt Treue 4SSPzRgt "Der Furher", 1939-45

Meine Ehre HeiBt Treue 4SSPzRgt "Der Furher", 1939-45

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 23
- 6/19/2000 10:40:00 PM   
WW2'er

I agree with Infanterie on this one. I'm fine with a modern version (I bought and enjoyed SP2), but I much prefer the WW2 time period. I think it's great that Matrix is doing SPWAW as a "labor of love" and "to gain a reputation with gamers". It's a great idea and God Bless'em, but in another way I see that as a problem. If you're not generating any revenue from a game, how much continuing resources can you afford to give it to make it better? You have to put your programmers and designers on the games you are selling. I guess I'm just afraid SPWAW will be abandoned after the third "Version" or second "Patch" comes out in order to work on other money producing games. Hey David, perhaps after your other games are enormously successful, you could afford to buy the rights to the SP series from whoever owns it that month? Then you could sell the improvements you make to the game! As others have said, I'd gladly pay. A concerned WW2'er

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 24
- 6/19/2000 11:08:00 PM   
Von Rom

An up-dated version of Sp2? ****** YES...YES...YES...YES ****** As far as the time period and equipment goes, you guys have clearly shown that you have the expertise and dedication to do anything you set out to accomplish. If anyone can make a modern, up-dated version of SP, you guys can You sure know how to make the kind of games I love By the way, how about getting the rights to SSI's "Great Naval Battle" series? or maybe up-dating Great Naval Battles III (war in the Pacific) and IV (war in the Atlantic)? I have been playing them recently, and they are a great deal of fun. They could use improvements in graphics, etc., but they still play extremely well Keep up the great work fellas. ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 25
- 6/19/2000 11:11:00 PM   
JimY

I would love a SPWAW for the modern period. I suggest the period from mid 1960's to now. If necessary, perhaps you could start with a game covering just the NATO v. WARSAW PACT from 1960 to hypothethical if USSR had not collapsed. I would definitely purchase this game or a modern version of SPWAW.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 26
- 6/20/2000 12:09:00 AM   
Supervisor

I would like a Modern version of SPWAW. But, I agree with others - maybe do the time period 1945 - 1980 (before REALLY hyper-accurate weapons came into effect) & then from 1981 on. Either way, count me in!

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 27
- 6/20/2000 12:52:00 AM   
Leibstandarte

You can definitly count me in. If "Donations" would be required for this game I would gladly toss some your way. Great work gentlemen, you put much, much larger wargame companies to shame. ------------------

Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 28
- 6/20/2000 1:06:00 AM   
Billy Yank

I vote yes. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 29
- 6/20/2000 1:31:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

You can add my voice to that throng...

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Calvin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Are there are any plans to do a MODERN SP version? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI