Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions, questions, questios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Questions, questions, questios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions, questions, questios - 5/13/2005 6:48:22 PM   
Le Tondu

I have always judged a Napoleon rule set by what I've read in various Napoleonic Memiors. If I was able to reproduce what happened in real life (back then), I felt that the designer was successful. Naturally, this only applies to tactical rule sets. (My very favorites.)

To those that know, how well in your opinion does BoN measure up? What can't be done that was done back then?

1.) Will cavalry be able to skirmish?

2.) Naturally we won't be able to break up a company and send them hither and thither, but what about breaking down a battalion into companies during the game (as opposed to inside the scenario generator?)

3.) How about breaking up an artillery battery into 2 gun sections during the game?

4.) How about engineers? Will they be able to build pontoon bridges? Destroy bridges to prevent pursuit?

5.) Will villages catch fire during combat?

6.) Will the different abilities of howitzers be apparent? (ie. shooting over objects like they commonly did.)

7.) How about ADCs? Napoleon commonly sent an Imperial ADC to take command of a Brigade or a Division in a battle. Can the ADC then substitute it's command abilities for that of the original commander?

8.) Will there be exploding caissons?

9.) Will there be prisoners? Will they be able to be freed during the battle?

10.) Will there be an endgame report telling us how many casualties (killed & wounded) were suffered with how many guns, prisoners, and standards were taken and lost?

11.) Will troops break and run before a melee or do they always stand and fight?

12.) In the scenario generator, how big will the biggest map be able to be? Can Wagram be simulated successfully? What about creating a map at the tactical level that can be used for a mini campaign? (That was the strength of the HPS Napoleonic Battles Series, IMHO.)

13.) Can a commander "cross-ttach" units into the organization of larger units during a battle? (ie. sending a Regiment/ Brigade/ Division from one Corps to be commanded by another Corps commander, Division commander, etc.....

14.) Will troops & batteries potentially run out of ammunition?

15.) Can artillery shell a pontoon bridge and destroy it --or at the very least prevent troops from crossing it?

The list can go on. My dreams would be fulfilled if we while playing this game were able to do exactly what "they" did back then.

Thanks.
Rick

< Message edited by Le Tondu -- 5/13/2005 6:49:48 PM >

Vive l'Empereur!
Post #: 1
RE: Questions, questions, questios - 5/13/2005 11:04:45 PM   
Tim Coakley

Great questions. I made soem notes below. Many are doable, some are not (but added to the list fo rthe future).

---Yes, they can be set to skirmish for a melee setting. They will suffer 1/2 losses and 1/2 combat ability...and will withdraw when meleed.

2.) Naturally we won't be able to break up a company and send them hither and thither, but what about breaking down a battalion into companies during the game (as opposed to inside the scenario generator?)
--- The scenario designer must set the number of sub elements. Then the player can create them.

3.) How about breaking up an artillery battery into 2 gun sections during the game?
---Same as above...the scenario designer would have to put 4 elements for a 8 gun battery with a 1/4 size for each element.

4.) How about engineers? Will they be able to build pontoon bridges? Destroy bridges to prevent pursuit?
----Yes...and some other terrain.

---On my wish list...smoke is in, but fire is not yet.

6.) Will the different abilities of howitzers be apparent? (ie. shooting over objects like they commonly did.)
---No indirect right now.

7.) How about ADCs? Napoleon commonly sent an Imperial ADC to take command of a Brigade or a Division in a battle. Can the ADC then substitute it's command abilities for that of the original commander?
---Nothing in right now as ADC. The player could make extra leaders and then transfer unit sto them.

---Ammo units can suffer loses, but no exploding caissons...units are represented by # of ammo points, not # of wagons.

---yes there are POWs but not represented on screen...just a function of casualties.

10.) Will there be an endgame report telling us how many casualties (killed & wounded) were suffered with how many guns, prisoners, and standards were taken and lost?
---Men, guns and POWs are tracked. Standards are not. There is a situation scren that gives this info.

11.) Will troops break and run before a melee or do they always stand and fight?
---No units test to stand. The attacker also tests to charge home.

12.) In the scenario generator, how big will the biggest map be able to be? Can Wagram be simulated successfully? What about creating a map at the tactical level that can be used for a mini campaign? (That was the strength of the HPS Napoleonic Battles Series, IMHO.)
---200x200 right now. I would like to go 300x300 later based on engine performance.

13.) Can a commander "cross-ttach" units into the organization of larger units during a battle? (ie. sending a Regiment/ Brigade/ Division from one Corps to be commanded by another Corps commander, Division commander, etc.....
---yes they can...with an AP cost and pealty for the next turn.

---yes they will.

15.) Can artillery shell a pontoon bridge and destroy it --or at the very least prevent troops from crossing it?
---yes to destroy, but not to deny crossing. Forts and defenses can be reduced as well.

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions, questions, questios - 5/13/2005 11:47:10 PM   
sabreman1966mcs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Double Shot Design

Great questions. I made soem notes below. Many are doable, some are not (but added to the list fo rthe future).

---Yes, they can be set to skirmish for a melee setting. They will suffer 1/2 losses and 1/2 combat ability...and will withdraw when meleed.

--- The scenario designer must set the number of sub elements. Then the player can create them.

---Same as above...the scenario designer would have to put 4 elements for a 8 gun battery with a 1/4 size for each element.

----Yes...and some other terrain.

---On my wish list...smoke is in, but fire is not yet.

---No indirect right now.

---Nothing in right now as ADC. The player could make extra leaders and then transfer unit sto them.

---Ammo units can suffer loses, but no exploding caissons...units are represented by # of ammo points, not # of wagons.

---yes there are POWs but not represented on screen...just a function of casualties.

---Men, guns and POWs are tracked. Standards are not. There is a situation scren that gives this info.

---No units test to stand. The attacker also tests to charge home.

---200x200 right now. I would like to go 300x300 later based on engine performance.

---yes they can...with an AP cost and pealty for the next turn.

---yes they will.

---yes to destroy, but not to deny crossing. Forts and defenses can be reduced as well.

Sounds fantastic so far. I'm currently reading Rifles by Mark Urban and am already thinking how to do a few scenarios based on the actions of Crauford and the Light Division
I know I have asked this before but any thoughts yet on what the minimum system requirements are going to be?

(in reply to Tim Coakley)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions, questions, questios - 5/14/2005 12:08:33 AM   
Le Tondu

Here is to wish lists being fulfilled.

Vive l'Empereur!

Post #: 4
RE: Questions, questions, questios - 5/16/2005 10:49:17 PM   
Tim Coakley

All of my profit will be poured backinto the engine. More sales = more features in the future.

I hope everyone remembers this!

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions, questions, questios - 5/17/2005 12:03:38 AM   
sabreman1966mcs

quote:

All of my profit will be poured backinto the engine. More sales = more features in the future.

I hope everyone remembers this!

I have a credit card ready with this games name on it

Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Post #: 6
RE: Questions, questions, questios - 5/17/2005 2:12:26 AM   
Le Tondu

It is imbedded into my psyche.

Say, when can we pre-order this game?

Vive l'Empereur!

Post #: 7
RE: Questions, questions, questios - 5/17/2005 11:37:53 PM   
DavidI

Tim,
Will engineer units be able to build fortifications (could be important in multi-day battles)?
DavidI

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 8
RE: Questions, questions, questios - 5/19/2005 10:12:35 PM   
Tim Coakley

Engineers can build fortifications. Don't have the whole list with me right now, but units can desytroy many terrain types (particullarly hexsides) and build some kinds (trenches, forts...)

Sabreman1966...that is the spirit!

Tim

(in reply to DavidI)
Post #: 9
RE: Questions, questions, questios - 5/19/2005 10:38:44 PM   
Le Tondu

quote:

Engineers can build fortifications. Don't have the whole list with me right now, but units can desytroy many terrain types (particullarly hexsides) and build some kinds (trenches, forts...)

Sabreman1966...that is the spirit!

Tim

VERY impressive.

Vive l'Empereur!

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Questions, questions, questios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI