Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about number of weapons per unit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Question about number of weapons per unit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/20/2005 2:02:08 AM   
Alby

Ok looking at some of the Fort class units...

for instance the Obs Post in Germany

It has 4 men crew
weapons=AT Rifle, MG, and Riflex5
which is 7 weapons for 4 men
or does the "riflex5" not count as the total number of weapons...
does the program actually see it as just one weapon?
If you get what I am saying...

I know that for instance, infrantry units that have say 3 men can't have 4 weapons..
Thanks
Alby

< Message edited by Alby -- 6/20/2005 2:08:37 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/20/2005 3:13:13 AM   
KG Erwin

Damn, Alby, that's a heck of an observation post, isn't it? The weapons loadout is obviously wrong. You got 4 guys, so change the RifleX5 to weapon 157, the Karabiner 98k. I think these were overlooked because no one would buy them anyway, would they?

The X number DOES mean the number of weapons. This is why the 1944 USMC F squads have BARx3--they had three BARs, one for each 4-man fire team.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/20/2005 3:18:03 AM >

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/20/2005 4:17:51 AM   
omegaall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

Ok looking at some of the Fort class units...

for instance the Obs Post in Germany

It has 4 men crew
weapons=AT Rifle, MG, and Riflex5
which is 7 weapons for 4 men
or does the "riflex5" not count as the total number of weapons...
does the program actually see it as just one weapon?
If you get what I am saying...

I know that for instance, infrantry units that have say 3 men can't have 4 weapons..
Thanks
Alby

Why can't they have 4 weapons?

quote:

KG Erwin:
Damn, Alby, that's a heck of an observation post, isn't it? The weapons loadout is obviously wrong. You got 4 guys, so change the RifleX5 to weapon 157, the Karabiner 98k. I think these were overlooked because no one would buy them anyway, would they?

Acytually these Rifles x 5 are classed as secondary weapons. The number is wrong for the number of troops so it would be more correct to use Weapon #184 - Kar 98 Rifle x3, not the single version 157.
Simple case of when all else fails, no primary weapon ammo, grab a rifle!

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/20/2005 5:10:42 AM   
Alby

heres an answer I got from someone who I know has good knowledge of the game...
Makes good sense to me.....

"One weapon is one weapon...regardless of how it's named.
Those "weaponx5" and such are single weapons (usually used in slots 2, 3, or 4) meant to represent multiple actual weapons. Their HE Kill numbers are higher than the single version of the weapon, making them more deadly. But they count as one weapon, not 5.

Remember: the game treats the weapon in the first slot, if it's a Primary Infantry weapon, as belonging to each member of the unit's Crew. So, a squad of 10 men armed with the M1 Garand in Slot 1, when it fires, the game determines how many of the 10 men fire, and the HE Kill for the Garand is multiplied by that number. Which is why the casualty rate for infantry fire can be so great; a weapon with an HE Kill of 1 doesn't do much, but if 10 men fire, then the weapon acts with an HE Kill of 10. However, if the weapon in slot 1 is NOT a Primary Infantry type, then it is only fired once. So, in order to represent the rest of the crew firing their personal weapons, some of these "multiple rifle/SMG" weapons were created.

In your example, there are 3 weapons: AT Rifle, MG, and Riflex5. Although the last one should in effect be Riflex4, there is no such weapon in the German OOB. This weapon is usually used in fortifications with crews of 15+ men, representing the other men not assigned to the crews of the main weapons, like AT guns and MGs. For this particular unit, I would suggest changing the third weapon to the single rifle weapon, since at least two men would be working the MG (the gunner and the assistant), and only the Post Leader would have a free hand."

(in reply to omegaall)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/20/2005 8:59:42 AM   
Wild Bill

My question would be why does an OP have so much firepower? I thought OPs were just that, to observe and report more than to stand and fight.

Most OPs pulled out (if they could!) when the enemy got that close. I've read of a few heroic stands, even in the first Gulf War (Khafji), but that is by far the exception rather than the rule.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/21/2005 12:38:05 AM   
Alby

Good Point...WB
In fact the OBs Post Icon looks more like a concrete bunker!!
LOL

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/21/2005 3:02:45 AM   
Svennemir

I may be mixing things up from SPMBT and other versions of SP, but I believe that for a squad with M men, exactly those weapons with slot numbers less than or equal to M may fire. There may well be exceptions to this rule depending on the type of squad (MGs, Inf-ATs, and obviously vehicles).

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/21/2005 7:11:09 PM   
Wild Bill

WHat does "M" men mean?

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/21/2005 7:26:57 PM   
Svennemir

quote:

WHat does "M" men mean?

Mathematically: for ANY number, let's call it M so we don't have to write them all :)

For example, if you have 3 men in a squad, then only weapon slots 1..3 will fire even though all four slots may contain weapons.

The reason why I wrote it that way was that it would be logical for the programmers to implement it this way (I know I would), and it is easier to remember something which is logical.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/22/2005 7:43:02 AM   
Wild Bill

Makes perfect sense. Thanks. That is the logical way to present that fact. Men can't use a weapon if they are not there to use it. Thus a single man unit can use only one weapon, eh? So arming him to the teeth is a wasted exercise. Makes sense. If he used up all his ammo for one weapon could he then use another in his repertoire?

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 10
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/23/2005 9:29:22 PM   
Svennemir

If my statement is correct, then since the other weapon would be number two or greater, and there is only one man, he cannot use that weapon even if he ran out or jammed the first weapon.

Another interesting consequence of the statement is that if you create a squad with one man and exactly one weapon located in slot two (or greater), then that unit would not be able to fire. Maybe someone will test this hypothesis :)

In relation to the previous discussions, if someone armed him with "BAR x 3" in slot 1 then he would be a very scary fellow indeed.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/23/2005 10:01:28 PM   
Wild Bill

Interesting hypothesis. I'm going to try it out. Yes, a man with BARx3 would be well armed to say the least. I like that. I guess we'll have a place for John Wayne after all.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 12
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/23/2005 10:10:31 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

I guess we'll have a place for John Wayne after all.

WB

Yes at The Alamo!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/23/2005 10:18:27 PM   
Wild Bill

No PIlgrim! Billy Bob replaced him...on second thought, nobody replaces the Duke. I retract that statement!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 14
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/23/2005 10:35:38 PM   
Terminus

With all due respect, Colonel... You'd better!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/23/2005 11:17:59 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

No PIlgrim! Billy Bob replaced him...on second thought, nobody replaces the Duke. I retract that statement!

WB

Billy Bobs Crockett was more true to the real man, than was Waynes portrayal.
But it is hard to replace The Duke

< Message edited by Alby -- 6/23/2005 11:18:56 PM >

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/23/2005 11:18:36 PM   
Alby

oops double post

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 17
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/24/2005 5:28:22 AM   
steelpanther

ahh, maybe that is why my 1 crew member after bailing out of a tank will not fire. His weapon is in the second slot. Makes sense kinda but what if a 3 man inf unit is right next to a tank and the anti-tank weapon is in the 4th slot (or even grenades) why wouldnt they use that instead of shooting at it? Reality sucks.

Do not die for your country, let the other suckers die for thiers!

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 18
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/28/2005 6:10:57 PM   
RockinHarry

Not to forget the experience and leader check for firing slot1 primary infantry weapon. I think only in very rare (unrealistic) circumstances a 10 men squad would all fire their 10 rifles at the same time! If that would happen then actually one shot should be subtracted from slot2 LMG (who should operate that when all 10 men are firing their rifles?) automatically, but with regard to the "abstraction" level in SPWAW (varying time slices of a whole 2-5 minute game turn) I guess it is not assumed that this works this way and shooting is not all at the same time, rather subsequently.

Re the fort class german Observation post. Don´t have an idea what this is meant to be modelled from. Fortifications are all the same anyway, but the Obs Post unit #211 definitely looks overarmed to me. It has no benefit for "observation" since there´s no formation having it as subunit in conjunction with the recon=1 special formation code.

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to steelpanther)
Post #: 19
RE: Question about number of weapons per unit - 6/28/2005 6:31:52 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

Not to forget the experience and leader check for firing slot1 primary infantry weapon. I think only in very rare (unrealistic) circumstances a 10 men squad would all fire their 10 rifles at the same time! If that would happen then actually one shot should be subtracted from slot2 LMG (who should operate that when all 10 men are firing their rifles?) automatically, but with regard to the "abstraction" level in SPWAW (varying time slices of a whole 2-5 minute game turn) I guess it is not assumed that this works this way and shooting is not all at the same time, rather subsequently.

Re the fort class german Observation post. Don´t have an idea what this is meant to be modelled from. Fortifications are all the same anyway, but the Obs Post unit #211 definitely looks overarmed to me. It has no benefit for "observation" since there´s no formation having it as subunit in conjunction with the recon=1 special formation code.

It does not have FO attributes either!
I changed the name of mine to Redoubt (also changed icon)

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Question about number of weapons per unit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI