Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Games keeps crashing...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Games keeps crashing... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Games keeps crashing... - 5/12/2001 1:27:00 PM   
pops

...to desktop....seems to happen when German arty is hitting me....this happened a few time yesterday so I reloaded a previous save and had no problems for a while also downloaded the complete 5.1 and installed that in case it would help...but the crash is back....I am in the third scenario of the British gold campaign....any ideas here gang? thanks ..it's odd that I never had the CTD syndrome with SPWAW before...hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Post #: 1
- 5/12/2001 10:56:00 PM   
achappelle

I had the same problem, the game CTD'd when the German AI wa about to arty me. I upgraded from 4.5 to 5.1, and imported 4.5 saved games, so I thought that was the problem.... maybe a PEP is forthcoming(Performance Enhancing Package, patch sounds as if there was something wrong) Love the new scenarios, OOBs and PICs.

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 2
- 5/13/2001 7:23:00 AM   
Supervisor

You could try old reliable, and delete the steel.prf file. Restart the game and let the game build a fresh one. It's always cleared alot of errors and crashes in the past. One last thing check your DirectX ver. Game requiremnets went up a hair and now require DirectX 6.1 as a minimum. [ May 12, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 3
- 5/13/2001 7:23:00 AM   
kao16

When I upgraded to V4.5 I suddenly started getting a number of crashes to desktop (usually after saving), the following fix seems to have cured the problem. Try deleting steel.prf in the save folder (this file is recreated next time you start a game - just remember to reset your preferences). It seems that there are a lot of system failures that can be cured by deleting this file - so try this first.

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 4
- 5/13/2001 7:26:00 AM   
pops

thanks for the tips...I usually just reload an earlier game....or just restarting from the same save works sometimes....it's just worth noting because I have never had crashes at all with earlier version of SPWAW...

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 5
- 5/14/2001 8:33:00 AM   
achappelle

Thanks guys for the tip, I tried it and it seems to have worked. Didn't want to lose my campaign, I've finished 115 of 200 battles in the Eastern front and the tide is finally turning! Spaceba

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 6
- 5/16/2001 7:25:00 AM   
magic

Check your direct x versions on your system. With certain Processor and video card combinations ie AMD K62 and K63 processors in particular Direct X 7 even with MS patches locks up and causes games to run either extremely slowly or not at all. upgrade to direct X 8 with latest patches and this seemed to fix problems

(in reply to pops)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Games keeps crashing... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI