Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Charts/Facts wanted

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Charts/Facts wanted Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Charts/Facts wanted - 7/10/2005 6:33:18 PM   
zenmaster

I'm still trying to find the point of many of the better units, but if someobody could post details about the units.

1) Unit Size
2) Attack Strength. ( +1 vs Regular infantry is meaningless. On a 6sided die? or out of a 100? About a 17 fold differnce!)
3) Defense Strength.
4) Inf vs Cav vs Art
5) Maintenance Costs - What is the Maintenance cost of Inf vs Rifle Infantry vs Light Infantry? Other Units?
Post #: 1
RE: Charts/Facts wanted - 7/10/2005 7:06:33 PM   
Ralegh

zenmaster, some of your questions don't make sense in the contect of the game. Below is something to help you along.

1) Unit size - although the table below describes maximums possible in the game, in practice:
- all divisions have a max strength of 10,000 men EXCEPT:
- artillery start at 3000, and need upgrades to increase
- jager inf are limited to 5000
- all naval units have a max of 10

2 and 3) 'strengths' are relative - the unit description pages in the manual talk about range, abilities etc. (For example, Cossack Cavalary look pretty good and have a great charge, but a very difficult to reform afterwards... Sob. Guards have wonderful morale - which makes them great at changing formation too - and increase the morale of neighbouring units.)

4) In both the strategy guide in the manual and the Ralegh Tip Guide I give counsel on inf vs cav vs art.

5) Maintenance costs are covered in the table below. This is called 'upkeep' in the game. In addition, most divisions normally cost 1 money and 1 food to supply, although infantry are 1 money and 2 food.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ralegh -- 7/10/2005 7:07:00 PM >

HTH
Steve/Ralegh

(in reply to zenmaster)
Post #: 2
RE: Charts/Facts wanted - 7/10/2005 7:41:45 PM   
marc420

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralegh
2 and 3) 'strengths' are relative - the unit description pages in the manual talk about range, abilities etc. (For example, Cossack Cavalary look pretty good and have a great charge, but a very difficult to reform afterwards... Sob. Guards have wonderful morale - which makes them great at changing formation too - and increase the morale of neighbouring units.)

OK, but the question is, when the manual says "+1 to regular infantry", what does that mean?

If the original rating was a "2", and you get +1 to this, then that's 50% better. If the original rating was 100, and you get +1 to this, that's 1% better.

To me, one of the places this game is lacking is both in documentation telling you stuff like this, and also in feedback from the game. When you are in tactical combat, you just get to point and fire. What's lacking is any sort of information tool that says if you fire this unit at range 3 at that unit in that formation from the position (front, flank, etc), in this terrain, what the heck is going to happen?

And quick combat is even worse. All you get to do is press start, and then you get to do the bobbing-head doll bit trying to connect up the flashes on the screen with the quickly appearing and disappearing messages at the bottom.

These things all go into decisions as to what units to produce, and then how to use them. Right now in this game, its all pretty much of a fog. I think that's why he was asking this question.

BTW, thanks for the table. I'll have to add it to my stack of info about this game. But it raises another question. Are "upkeep" and "supply" two different things? Maybe I missed it, but this seems a new concept to me that I hadn't seen before in the game or documentation. Ie, do infantry really cost me 3 gold per turn? 2 for upkeep + 1 for supply.

All-in-all, these are all areas where this game can be improved. All of this sort of information should be very accessable to the player during the game. Right now the UI for this game does just the very basic level stuff, but there's a lot that's missing. I should be able to select any unit in the game and ask for more information and be able to see all of this stuff. Combat firepower, upkeep costs, everything.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to Ralegh)
Post #: 3
RE: Charts/Facts wanted - 7/10/2005 8:32:49 PM   
zenmaster

Thanks for the charts, they answer many of my questions.

Marc helped clarify my issue with many of the "+1" and "+2" statements in the manual.
Often this has no meaning without a basic concept of what is being added to.

Many of the enhancements say that there is a X% increase in firepower etc..
This is very useful and if perhaps incstead of saying +1 a comment about a percentage increase would be more valuable.

As Marc pointed out, I don't know if +1 means +50% or +1%.

(in reply to marc420)
Post #: 4
RE: Charts/Facts wanted - 7/10/2005 9:37:50 PM   
ericbabe

The +1 refers to the quick combat attack roll, which has the range 1-10.

(in reply to zenmaster)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Charts/Facts wanted Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI