Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just to get things going.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Just to get things going..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just to get things going..... - 10/7/2005 1:22:37 AM   
Richrd

I want to be able to put 5 Panthers in a platoon. I want to load a 5 step Inf Platoon on a 4 step truck by ordereing 'All you guys get on those trucks'. I want to be able to load a rubber boat on a truck. I can get East Front on ebay for a buck. Make the game something I just have to buy from you.

Richrd
Post #: 1
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/7/2005 7:44:28 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

I want the same ability the AI has regarding airstrikes....

(AI airstrikes don't require a spotter)

Also, when soft transports like horses, bikes, trucks, motorcycles, etc. get wiped out by one round of arty, THE UNITS THEY'RE TRANSPORTING SHOULD NOT BE COMPLETELY DESTROYED ALSO!!!!!!!!!!

Some sorta auto-dismount routine as seen in Steel Panthers would be nice! (of course, some random SP loss and Disrupted/morale loss if this routine is triggered)

I'm sure I'll think of more later.....

P.S. Excellent job Matrix picking up these titles!
Gave me a bad feeling knowing these great games were slowly rotting away in some Take-2 vault....

Thanks!

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 2
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/7/2005 4:13:45 PM   
BAL

I'm glad to see Matrix re-doing the Campaign Series of games. I liked them, but I had so many troubles - bugs, crashes, play oddities - that I finally gave up & sold them. Plus, it pissed me off to no end that Talonsoft gave such mediocre support to their games. I know Matrix will do much better.

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 3
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/7/2005 11:56:31 PM   
lancerunolfsson

My votes for CS new Features

Lets see those Helicopters fly in DG!!!!!!!

Move Fire Move Lock out.
As an optional rule make it so a unit can Move Fire, or Fire Move, But never Move Fire Move. It really blows when a bunch of Stewarts come out of the bushes drive down a road to their PB range, get effective shots in, then drive back to the bushes without taking any retaliation.

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 4
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/8/2005 5:50:25 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAL

I'm glad to see Matrix re-doing the Campaign Series of games. I liked them, but I had so many troubles - bugs, crashes, play oddities - that I finally gave up & sold them. Plus, it pissed me off to no end that Talonsoft gave such mediocre support to their games. I know Matrix will do much better.

I dispute that....Talonsoft had one of the best groups of beta-testers ever assembled....

Did you ever post to their message boards?

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 5
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/8/2005 11:29:57 PM   
Richrd

I don't dispute it. I bought east front the day it went retail. You couldn't play the game at all. It crashed every few minutes. I had to buy the re-release a few months later because I didn't know anything about patches or the internet. I quit playing the games later in the series because I couldn't get the games to install. Thats some beta testing. Maybe great guys, but a flawed product.

Richrd

Post #: 6
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/9/2005 12:55:03 AM   
Hard Sarge

You sure it was your game and not your system ?

I never had East Front crash on me, and I owned it the first day it came out too(I had Friends who worked at EB, and they would call when anything new came in)

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 7
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/9/2005 1:10:49 AM   
Richrd

No, I don't think so. It's been a long time but I remember there was quite an uproar and the second version was offered for sale very shortly thereafter. The OOB editor worked fine however, and I was pleased to play with that.

Richrd

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/9/2005 2:32:45 AM   
Hard Sarge

Hmmm
strange, I can remember haveing to sit on the floor in my kids room to play some of the games when they came out from Talonsoft

ended up there was a conflick with the CD drivers from Gateway and Talonsoft install program

(greeesh, I even remember some of the fix, delete everything in the temp folder, place game disk in drive, start the install, then undelete everything back into the temp folder while the game was still installing, odd part is it worked!!!!!)

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 9
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/9/2005 2:32:56 AM   
Der Oberst

Campaign Series was on my HD for a long time. Maybe it's time to dust it off and get it back on.

I think it will be interesting to see what Matrix does with the game. They have done a smashing job with Steel Panthers conversion to SPWAW. There should be a thread started simply to post a "wish list" of changes.

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 10
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/9/2005 3:29:43 AM   
Tankerace

East Front, the original, was quite buggy from what I hae heard. But WF, EFII, RS, and Hell even DG I have not had 1 single bug or problem (sans 1 SP bug occasionally). Been playing WF since 1999, and not 1 single crash on 5 different machines.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Der Oberst)
Post #: 11
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/9/2005 5:30:00 AM   
KenHR

The original game had lots of quirks, though I never had a crash. It was more just an overall "rush job" that didn't live up to the hype TS had been giving the game. Large strides were made toward fixing the engine with the scenario disk. EF2 was a major improvement, though most were none too happy about having to re-purchase the game.

There were bugs in the series that were never squashed. The biggest bug I can remember had to do with the Dynamic Campaign Games (a major selling point of the series originally; I think they were aiming to give people the same experience that many had with the magical Long Campaign from Steel Panthers); they did not work correctly, and there were major problems that cropped up as one advanced.

Stability, however, was never a major issue in any of the games for me. I don't recall ever experiencing a crash, though I do remember something about a bug with the installer that required the user to manually shut down their computer at a certain point.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 12
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/10/2005 2:55:08 PM   
BAL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAL

I dispute that....Talonsoft had one of the best groups of beta-testers ever assembled....

Did you ever post to their message boards?

I'll withhold comment on the beta-testers because I don't know who they were. Regarding posting my concerns on message boards, I did that & never got a reponse. I also sent messages directly to Talonsoft; again with no response.

It's been a few years since all this occured but the problems I had were DCG crashes in EFII (nothing more frustrating than being 10-12 games into a DCG & then unable to go any further) and transport issues in Divided Ground.

Post #: 13
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/10/2005 4:23:18 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

I'll withhold comment on the beta-testers because I don't know who they were. Regarding posting my concerns on message boards, I did that & never got a reponse. I also sent messages directly to Talonsoft; again with no response.

It's been a few years since all this occured but the problems I had were DCG crashes in EFII (nothing more frustrating than being 10-12 games into a DCG & then unable to go any further) and transport issues in Divided Ground.

Ah, sounds like you were looking for help toward the tail-end of Talonsoft's existence....(DG was one of, if not the last Talonsoft game)

Before the Take-2 takeover and the sudden departure of it's founding fathers, I can assure you the tech help at Talonsoft was top-notch....

But once it became obvious what Take-2 wanted to do with TS (lame RTS junk), most betas and regular posters left long before DG was released......as for e-mailing TS directly, I can only guess what the morale was at that place after the Big Guys left....I'd probably assume correctly that no one gave much of a crap any more...

Let's all hope Matrix Games is here for eternity!

(in reply to BAL)
Post #: 14
RE: Just to get things going..... - 10/10/2005 4:41:19 PM   
BAL

Juggalo, It was towards the tail end of Talonsoft's existence, but before they were taken over by Take2. IIRC, the Matrix board was started or was one of the first gathering places for disgruntled Talonsoft users.

In any event, that's all irrelevant. I am 100% confident that Matrix will do a much better job with game support.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Just to get things going..... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI