Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works - 12/2/2005 2:11:38 AM   
KG Erwin

Alby and I got the first beta of a revised OOB Editor which would allow the automatic batch conversion of an OOB file to a standard pricing formula. This formula would apply to ALL OOBs, which is something the players have been wanting for years. It is still being worked on, and it needs a few tweaks. We'll keep you posted.

Post #: 1
RE: A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works - 12/2/2005 2:48:41 AM   
Alby

yes hopefully no more of....

"Why is the British Sherman cheaper than the US Sherman" and so on and so forth..

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works - 12/2/2005 2:58:19 PM   
omegaall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

"Why is the British Sherman cheaper than the US Sherman" and so on and so forth..

Well that will depends on how the pricing is done AND both units ARE THE SAME in the OOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Else we will still be chasing the WHY question..

If it all works as expected then Mike's work on this aspect will be like a new era of SPWAW.

Simply

Thanks Mike for this extra work.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 3
RE: A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works - 12/2/2005 4:23:44 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

This is something that should have been addressed a long long time ago. I assume whatever work you do will be tied into whatever the Depot ends up doing with their OOB project so we end up with one most excellent set of OOBs rather than competing sets?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
RE: A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works - 12/2/2005 7:45:06 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: IBTyrone

quote:

This is something that should have been addressed a long long time ago. I assume whatever work you do will be tied into whatever the Depot ends up doing with their OOB project so we end up with one most excellent set of OOBs rather than competing sets?

Yes. The latest editor version seems to be a winner, so now it is a useful design tool and can be used to pinpoint bugs in the database. The only bad thing is that my so-called "final" USMC OOB will have to be revisited yet again.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 5
RE: A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works - 12/3/2005 2:49:09 AM   
maniacalmonkey

Oh dear!

First of all, let me say I believe this will be a wonderful feature to the OOB editor.

But don't let the math fool you. There's a lot more involved in points cost than a simple combat effectiveness matrix. Or, actually, there's not, really... It's just that the matrix is a lot more complicated than it might seem at first glance.

How effective is a unit in the context of the other units it works with? Considering national armies for sake of clarity.

Also, what are you going for - game balance or historical accuracy? Who had better access to Weapon X in Year/Month X, and should that be reflected in points cost or rarity?

I'm not in very deep with SP:WAW, let alone OOB editing, but I do think it is wise to warn against too simple solutions for complicated problems. As you guys are a smart lot and not afraid to dish out or take criticism, I'm sure it will work out - but the idea of this feature creating a single set of ultimate OOB's might be... Optimistic

That aside though, I'll add my big thanks to Mike for continuing to work on this awesome (and FREE!) product. You, sir, are a shining example to games developers across the world. There's only so much you can do in editing those parts open to the general public - some things require a code monkey who knows the program by heart and is willing to put in the hours. If it weren't for you, SP:WAW would be a wonderful relic of a gaming age gone by - now, however, it is a living, evolving game, a sheer godsent to those of us who prefer a mental challenge and tactical depth over 3D eye candy.

When cities burn and armies turn,
and flee in disarray,
Cowards will cry 'tis best to fly
and fight another day,
But warriors know it in their marrow when they
die and fall,
It is better to have fought and lost than not have
fought at all.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works - 12/3/2005 3:09:47 AM   
KG Erwin

maniacmonkey -- hmm, that's an apt description of some the OOB teams of the past LOL. I was asked to get involved a few years ago, and like a new convert, I threw myself into the Crusade to make everything right.

Well, obviously, it didn't turn out that way. I proceeded with blind faith and ran into the wall of reality -- in SPWaW terms, trying to fit our visions into the way the game actually works.

Now, there may be salvation, in that the main programmer is back, and he is trying to get all of us on the same path. The guidelines are being more clearly defined, so there's hope on the horizon. The faithful only have to decide which apostle to follow. Michael is the man still working on "the message", so I will give myself over the SPWaW Apostle Michael. Forgive me for being irreverent, but many folks take all this stuff VERY seriously.

(in reply to maniacalmonkey)
Post #: 7
RE: A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works - 12/3/2005 6:46:05 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
Now, there may be salvation, in that the main programmer is back, and he is trying to get all of us on the same path. The guidelines are being more clearly defined, so there's hope on the horizon. The faithful only have to decide which apostle to follow. Michael is the man still working on "the message", so I will give myself over the SPWaW Apostle Michael. Forgive me for being irreverent, but many folks take all this stuff VERY seriously.

Huh?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works - 12/4/2005 4:12:37 PM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

Although I have tested the new routines to my version 0.0 set of OOB files (the ones I made up, when we wrote the game, before beta testing started), I am writing the routines for use on version 8.30 (as well as Alby's excellent version 8.31). The player should expect infantry to run about 20 to 55 points (plus 2 to 10 more, if they have fire control). The OOB author can cheapen the price by reduction of ammunition. Each bazooka round, 10 rounds of light machine gun, 20 rounds of rifle ammunition or 5 hand grenades, for instance, cuts the price by about a point. Vehicles run about 20 to 255 points. Would like to have had a greater spread (by making the cost variable an integer), but legacy scenarios forbad it. I think most folk will really like the new cost recalculation routine.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: omegaall

quote:

Well that will depends on how the pricing is done AND both units ARE THE SAME in the OOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Else we will still be chasing the WHY question..

If it all works as expected then Mike's work on this aspect will be like a new era of SPWAW.

Simply

Thanks Mike for this extra work.

< Message edited by Mike Wood -- 12/4/2005 4:32:07 PM >

(in reply to omegaall)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Standard Pricing Formula in the Works Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI