Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI hijacking submarines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> AI hijacking submarines Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 8:24:59 PM   
Oldsweat

Playing as the allies I've noticed a peculiar behavior on the part of the AI. I had a couple of submarines in Pearl for repairs and upgrades. I checked them periodically for status and then noticed that they weren't there. Looking around I discoverd that they had been assigned to AI TFs and were enroute to Japan (not necessarily a bad thing, but I had a particular methodology I wanted to try which I needed these boats for), additionally they had homeports assigned in China where I had no ports (this is in 1942, with one minor exception Japan has all the port cities).
Anyone encounter this and know how to avoid it?

< Message edited by Oldsweat -- 12/19/2005 8:27:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 8:32:01 PM   
IS2m

I have encountered this after upgrading to a new patch. Ensure that submarines are set to 'human control' after you upgrade.

(in reply to Oldsweat)
Post #: 2
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 8:34:23 PM   
KDonovan

i've encountered it also....haven't been able to remedy it though. The best i do is just i don't let the subs get fully repaired....cause thats when the AI highjacks them...therefore i usually send them out with 2 system damage

(in reply to Oldsweat)
Post #: 3
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 9:29:59 PM   
Mike Solli

If it's any consolation, I have it happen regularly as the Japanese.

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 4
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 9:43:15 PM   
MarcA

Are you paying with automatic sub ops on?

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 5
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 10:47:11 PM   
atomu

speaking of subs... just out of curiosity...

has anyone ever used the I-400 class subs that are supposed to be available at the end of the war, carrying 3 seirans each?

I mean, has anyone been there? any stories?

cheers

m

Tetsuwan "Need More Planes" Atomu

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 6
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 10:48:39 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: atomu

speaking of subs... just out of curiosity...

has anyone ever used the I-400 class subs that are supposed to be available at the end of the war, carrying 3 seirans each?

I mean, has anyone been there? any stories?

cheers

m

What's a seiran?

(in reply to atomu)
Post #: 7
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 11:16:27 PM   
atomu

Aichi M6A1 Seiran ("Clear Sky Storm") - a bomber/torpedo bomber that could be launched from a sub...

anyway, I noticed the ship production list includes three I-400 class biggies...

see

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/aichi_serian.htm

Tetsuwan "Need More Planes" Atomu

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 8
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 11:22:56 PM   
niceguy2005

I am forever amazed at the bugs that pop up in this game.

I can't say I have seen this particular one, but I have a new one that just popped up. I have a TB unit fragment consisting of one wildebeast plane and pilot at one base and I keep moving it to a new base; at the beginning of each turn I find that it has returned to the original base.

I was thinking of having the pilot shot for insubordination, but then it occured to me that it was probably just Wild Bill (John Beluschi's character from 1941) and I will probably find Wild Bill making strafing runs of at the Emperor's palace by the end of the game.

(in reply to Oldsweat)
Post #: 9
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 11:24:39 PM   
moses

Its trying to get back to its parent unit. I don't think its a bug. I believe that thats what it is supposed to do.

< Message edited by moses -- 12/19/2005 11:26:48 PM >

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 10
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/19/2005 11:44:20 PM   
RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oldsweat

Playing as the allies I've noticed a peculiar behavior on the part of the AI. I had a couple of submarines in Pearl for repairs and upgrades. I checked them periodically for status and then noticed that they weren't there. Looking around I discoverd that they had been assigned to AI TFs and were enroute to Japan (not necessarily a bad thing, but I had a particular methodology I wanted to try which I needed these boats for), additionally they had homeports assigned in China where I had no ports (this is in 1942, with one minor exception Japan has all the port cities).

Definitly auto sub ops. Make sure it is turned off or the AI will steal them out of port.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Oldsweat)
Post #: 11
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/20/2005 12:28:32 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

Its trying to get back to its parent unit. I don't think its a bug. I believe that thats what it is supposed to do.

I am forever confused by this because it does not work consistently. One moment fragment air units appear to try and recombine and the next, they won't.

I've had a fragment in townville before that sat for weeks without rejoining its' parent in Cairn

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 12
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/20/2005 4:21:42 AM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oldsweat

It's a pain at first until you get used to it but don't have submarines on computer control. You can easily use the "List All Active Ships" button and narrow the display to submarines to check damage, fuel of all your subs without having to check every single one on the map. In the long run probably much easier than letting the computer control your subs.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to Oldsweat)
Post #: 13
RE: AI hijacking submarines - 12/20/2005 5:01:50 AM   
SGT Swanson

Yes, it is far easier IMHO to turn Auto-Sub and both sub doctrins to OFF.

Also, does anyone know if they are working on a fix (again, I believe) for the Auto-Convoy bug? If you havfe not heard of this, then here it goes: If you have turned Auto-Convoy to ON (do this by going into the auto-convoy screen and start assigning bases and ships), and wish to take some of the ships off due to you needing them for other duties, the ships with disapear by the next turn and reappear back onto auto-convoy duty. I figured this out when I took 5 AKs off the duty to transport planes to SE Asia. After I had loaded the planes onto the ships and hit the next turn button. When the tun ended I found all 5 squadrons back at the airfield and ALL 5 AKs back on Auto-convoy duty. Now, since this happened to me while playing a CHS scenario, I naturally thought it was a bug in the scenario, or a bug with those particular squadrons. So, Andrew Brown took a look at it for me. Though he found a workaround for it, I decided to look at it closer.

I tried it in a standard stock scenario, as well as the current Nik Mod. Same thing happens every time. It looks to me like once the auto-convoy system is started then the game assumes that it must have a certain % of ships in port ready to go at all times. And that once you place ships onto the duty, you can't take them back off (at least this happens to AKs only).

The one thing I would like to see improved with the auto-convoy system is that the limit on how much supplies/fuel a base gets based on it's expendetures is eliminated. I think it would be better to have it where once a base is turned on, it should keep getting a steady stream of supplies/fuel until YOU turn it off. This way you the player can control it better by being able to keep sending supplies to those rear area bases that will become major supply hubs for you in the future. The only way you can do that now is to do it yourself.

SGT Swanson
U.S. Army, Infantry
B Co 4/502d Inf. Berlin BDE (87-90)
A Co 5/502d Inf. Berlin BDE (90-93)
B Co 2/502d Inf. 101st Airborne Div. (93-95)

"Because freedom is NEVER free!!"

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> AI hijacking submarines Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI