Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 7/7/2000 4:17:00 AM   
Bing

For heaven's sake, not one mention of the great war movie, "Sink The Bismarck!", with Kenneth More, Dana Winter (who cares about watching Germans?) and an all-star character actor cast. Based on the Forrester novel of the same name, there are marvelous action shots of the old "Stringbags" taking off RN carrier decks. Kenneth More turns in one of his truly fine performances in this 1949 movie. Sure, the anti-Nazi angle is beat to death - at first I thought the movie was actually made and released during the war - all the same it is entertaining, informative, historically accurate for the most part and blissfully economical of the viewer's time. Sink The Bismarck! No, no ... the SHIP, not the doughnut!! Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 31
- 7/7/2000 5:46:00 AM   
Beer N'Brats

Sink the Bismark! I forgot about that one! How about: Breaker Morant Go Tell the Spartans The Green Berets ------------------ Games are more fun with a belly full of Beer N'Brats!

Games are more fun with a belly full of Beer N'Brats!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 32
- 7/7/2000 6:11:00 AM   
Elvis

Since this is a "tank"-oriented game, I'm suprised that no one has come up with two of the best "tank"-oriented movies of all time: 1943's "Sahara" (Humphrey Bogart, Lloyd Bridges(!!), lots of desert, and an M3 Grant) and 1988's "The Beast" (Jason Patric, one of the Baldwins, lots of desert, and a T-55) Both are underrated, well acted, reasonably accurate, and give a good impression of what its like inside a tank during combat. ------------------ alea iacta est [email]sooperduk@hotmail.com[/email]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 33
- 7/7/2000 6:17:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

Does anyone know the name of the film about the crew of a crashed US bomber in the middle of the desert who were all killed and they disappear when their bodies are found? At the end there's only one of them left and his body is under the wrecked plane with no chance of being found. I can't remember who's in it (I seem to remember Steve McQueen but I could be wrong about that) and I've only seen it once when I was a kid but I remember it being really good. PS. Yeah, 'The Beast' is good. The only film about Afghanistan (except Rambo III and one of the Timothy Dalton nearly-Bond movies) I've seen. [This message has been edited by Spunkgibbon (edited 07-06-2000).]

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 34
- 7/7/2000 6:26:00 AM   
Hauptmann6

Gotta go with "Talvisota" (Winter War)(found a copy!!!) Gettysburg Hamburger Hill Full Metal Jacket(the first half) the Sharpe series Glory That is what I can think of off the top of my head... Haupt

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 35
- 7/7/2000 6:34:00 AM   
Elvis

The only movie that I can think of that has both US bombers and Steve McQueen in it is "The War Lover." Speaking of Steve McQueen, how about: The Sand Pebbles Hell is For Heroes ------------------ alea iacta est [email]sooperduk@hotmail.com[/email]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 36
- 7/7/2000 7:16:00 AM   
troopie

Pork Chop Hill, Days of Glory (Best english language movie made about Russian partisans. The Longest Day A Bridge too far. Air America (a comedy, but one of the few about CIA flyers in Laos) The Wild Geese (technical consultant Maj "Mad Mike" Hoare, British-South African mercenary.) Dressing Station It will horrify you. Never So Few The Battle of Algiers Cross of Iron All Quiet on the Western Front The Blue Max. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 37
- 7/7/2000 8:30:00 AM   
Von Rom

Don't you get the feeling that the video rental stores are going to be busy this weekend? You have all mentioned some terrific movies. There are several that I had forgotten about; and many more that I have not seen yet. More favourites: 1) Pork Chop Hill - Gregory Peck in Korea 2) Spartacus - a true classic 3) The Enemy Below - with Robert Mitchum as the Capt of a destroyer stalking Kurt Jergens as the U-boat commander. Very well done. 4) Gettysburg - great film 5) Letters Home From Vietnam ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge... [This message has been edited by Von Rom (edited 07-06-2000).]

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 38
- 7/7/2000 8:56:00 AM   
McGib

I'm so surprised that only one mention of "The Devils Brigade" True story of a "comando" unit made up of American and Canadian troops in the Italian theater. Also Galipoli.

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 39
- 7/7/2000 12:01:00 PM   
Supervisor

1. The Great Escape 2. The Bridge 3. Lawrence of Arabia 4. Cross of Iron 5. Battle of Britain 6. The Blue Max 7. Das Boot 8. Stalingrad 9. Night of the Generals 10. Midway-Long version ------------------ Grenadier SPWAW Beta Team

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 40
- 7/7/2000 12:03:00 PM   
Supervisor

Mike, You are suffering from post-apocalyptic stress syndrome Time to go to Disneyland
quote:

Originally posted by Mike Wood: Hello... I really like many of the war movies mentioned already, but I suppose my two favorites are: 1) On the Beach 2) The Day After Bye... Michael Wood
------------------ Grenadier SPWAW Beta Team

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 41
- 7/7/2000 12:31:00 PM   
Jab

quote:

Originally posted by Seth: Why hasn't anyone mentioned Red Dawn yet?
Your just joking right?That movie was about as real as Bugs Bunny.For it to be a GOOD war movie it has to have some molecule of realism.This movie did not have anything realistic.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 42
- 7/7/2000 4:11:00 PM   
bluesman

1.-Stalingrad 2.-Stalingrad 3.-None another one

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 43
- 7/7/2000 5:22:00 PM   
Kamel

Any better way to spend a sunday afternoon than watching old war movies and recorded episodes of "Battlefield" from Discovery? Dont think so... Stalingrad. I doubt anyone can do a better WW2 movie in a long time to come. Winter war. The atmosphere... Thin red line. Best American war movie produced. The longest day. "It takes an irishman to play the pipes" A bridge too far. Good actors. Good battles. Good movie. Cross of Iron. "Sgt Steiner, how do I reload?" Dr. Strangelove. Its brilliant! Also the shootout scenes at the airport are very realistic. Saving Private Ryan. Really intense movie. The carnage at the beach is just awful. Worthy of mentioning: Gettysburg Das Boot Hamburger Hill Guns of the Navarone And a lot more I cant remember right now. btw I saw a very good war/drama movie (cant remember the title) about a squad of Americans who are sent out to report on enemy activity just before the battle of bulge. They run into Germans who want to surrender. In one scene the Americans and germans get into a snowball fight. Anyone know what movie Im talking about?

Vae victis

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 44
- 7/7/2000 5:41:00 PM   
Fabs

No one (including me) has mentioned "Bridge over River Qwai". ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 45
- 7/7/2000 10:17:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Kamel, I think it is "A Midnight Clear." WB =========== ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 46
- 7/7/2000 10:46:00 PM   
Von Rom

Several people have mentioned the movie "The Blue Max" with George Peppard. What a great movie about a World War One German fighter pilot. Excellent action scenes. Also "The Battle of Britain" - the acting is a bit lame - but see this movie for the best action shots of WWII aerial combat - love those stukas! Kamel: I have taped several episodes of "Battlefield". One of the best series of documentaries on WWII that I have seen. More movies: 1) "The Dogs of War" - group of mercenaries go to Africa. 2) "Iwo Jima" - acting is a bit lame - but hey, it has John Wayne. 3) "The Lost Command" - with Anthony Quinn about the French fighting in Algeria and Vietnam. 4)"The Alamo" - A rollicking fun story that ends in a brilliant battle at the Alamo - another good film with John Wayne. ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 47
- 7/8/2000 3:14:00 AM   
JJU57

Von Ryan's Express with ol'e blue eyes himself. And of course his other movie, From Here To Eternity. 'Wolf Wolf' That's my other dog imitation.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 48
- 7/8/2000 3:37:00 AM   
xavier

1. Stalingrad 2. Cross of Iron 3. Das Boot 4. The Beast 5. Full Metal Jacket ------------------ xaal

xaal

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 49
- 7/8/2000 4:47:00 AM   
ncpanther

Gotta be : 1) To Hell and Back 2) A Bridge to Far 3) The longest Day 4) Hamburger Hill 5) Andersonville 6) Gettysberg 7) The Immortal Battlion ------------------ NC Airborne Sappers Lead the way!! SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!

NC Airborne Sappers Lead the way!! SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 50
- 7/8/2000 10:20:00 AM   
nikb

1. Gallipoli 2. Breaker Morant (spelling?) 3. Gettysburg 4. Zulu 5. A bridge to far 6. Saving Private Ryan (until the last 10 minutes) Stalingrad? Hm...never saw that one. How old is it? Might go and hunt it out. Nik

Nik

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 51
- 7/9/2000 1:12:00 AM   
sjuncal

1) SPR, no more effecting brutal protrayal of infantry combat exists. I cried during, leaving and driving away from the theater... No other movie has ever done that to me. 2) A Bridge Too Far, second only to SPR IMHO for stark honest treatment of WWII combat, also for non-black and white portrayals of British, and German officers (the US officers are a little stereotyped however) Gene Hackman as the Polish General does a fine job of treating the Poles with the respect they deserve. 3) Kelly's Heroes, the best outragious "misadventure" movie ever made. As a movie about a war it's a farce. Fortunately it doesn't pretend to have that asperation, but as a movie about crazy things that humans do when under crazy conditions it's splendid. 4) Hamburger Hill, without question in my mind the best movie about Vietnam, it's treatment of Combat rivals SPR and matches or exceeds ABTF. The Sergeant at the end walking back to his fellow Sergeant's position a dying human wreck, is so pitiful and effecting that I well up just thinking about it. The fact that his combat took place off camera, the knife in his hand, the matted blood on his neck, leaving it up to the imagination of the viewer as to what transpired, makes the scene all the more terrible and devistating. Also has probably the most horrible vision of "friendly fire" of any movie I've ever seen. Frankly the rest of my list pales (IMHO) in comparison to the above, and is pretty similar to the lists already offered. Simon

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 52
- 7/9/2000 4:50:00 AM   
Bart

btw I saw a very good war/drama movie (cant remember the title) about a squad of Americans who are sent out to report on enemy activity just before the battle of bulge. They run into Germans who want to surrender. In one scene the Americans and germans get into a snowball fight. Anyone know what movie Im talking about? damnit yes i liked that movie to, damnit can remember the titles, the germans want to surrender but something goes wrong and the germans are all shot because they fire back when they here one shot falling. VERY GOOD MOVIE. darn cant remember the name either

Realgamer magazine the best!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 53
- 7/9/2000 6:47:00 AM   
Dauphin

BTW: I just saw SPR (again) and noticed that some sounds in SPWAW seem to be taken directly out of this movie. I´m not sure about the M1 sound, but one of the 'tank destroyed' sounds, which reminds of a train loosing the track under the wheels is exactly the same as in the movie, when a Panther is blown up from behind by a bazooka (at Ramelle). And the new v2.0 sound of the halftracks and light tanks is the sound of a german vehicle Capt Millers group encounters just before Ramelle.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 54
- 7/9/2000 8:24:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

quote:

Originally posted by Bart: btw I saw a very good war/drama movie (cant remember the title) about a squad of Americans who are sent out to report on enemy activity just before the battle of bulge. They run into Germans who want to surrender. In one scene the Americans and germans get into a snowball fight. Anyone know what movie Im talking about? damnit yes i liked that movie to, damnit can remember the titles, the germans want to surrender but something goes wrong and the germans are all shot because they fire back when they here one shot falling. VERY GOOD MOVIE. darn cant remember the name either
Is it called A Clear Season?

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 55
- 7/9/2000 8:39:00 AM   
Kev

quote:

Originally posted by Beer N'Brats: Sink the Bismark! I forgot about that one! How about: Breaker Morant
Breaker Morant was a great film, and another reason I like it is I know a lot of the soldiers in it (My old Pl Sgt Shot the Breaker!, I always knew he was a bastard) - 3RAR troops were used for most of the scenes requiring soldiers, it was a lot quicker to teach Soldiers .303 drill movements than to try to teach actors what drill was.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 56
- 7/9/2000 8:58:00 AM   
Kev

In no particular order- A Bridge too far (well done semi documentary style - most realistic military parachuting exits I've seen on film). The Odd Angry Shot (a good solid SASR Vietnam film). Breaker Morant (IIRC the last time we let the Brits shoot our troops). Gallipoli (a great example of the utter futility of WW1 tactics). Saving Private Ryan (Realistic combat). The TV mini series ANZACS (it's scary what those guys did in real life). The Battle of Britain (a classic). The Dam Busters (another classic). Kellys Heroes (what's with the negative waves?) The one that got away (about Franz Von Werra, the only Luftwaffe pilot captured by the Brits to escape and return to duty). Das Boot (the only realistic portrayal of U-Boat warfare).

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 57
- 7/9/2000 3:37:00 PM   
deggo

Don't forget Catch 22, MASH and The Red Ball Express.

Scott

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 58
- 7/9/2000 11:35:00 PM   
Von Rom

And there are a couple more that I remembered: 1) Glory 2) The Cruel Sea 3) Demetrius and the Gladiators ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge... [This message has been edited by Von Rom (edited 07-20-2000).]

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 59
- 7/9/2000 11:55:00 PM   
ncpanther

quote:

Originally posted by Spunkgibbon: Is it called A Clear Season?
Its " A Midnight Clear" btw I found Stalingrad (never saw it) but every one I run across is german with english subtitles. Now my German aint that good and I Hate subtitles is there an english version?? ------------------ NC Airborne Sappers Lead the way!! SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!

NC Airborne Sappers Lead the way!! SAPPERS ATTACK!!!!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI