Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 7/21/2000 4:40:00 AM   
Von Rom

With regard to Stalingrad: I've seen it play on the History Channel a couple of times dubbed in English. Either catch it on TV or try the video store. ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 61
- 7/21/2000 6:01:00 AM   
Toey

What's this battlefield seriers? Is it the one produced by Speilburg?

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 62
- 7/10/2000 12:27:00 PM   
Von Rom

Toey: With regard to the Battlefield series: I have only seen it play on PBS. I don't know whether Spielburg had anything to do with it; I think it may be a British production. It is by far the best documentary series I have ever seen; they have documentaries on just about every theatre of war in WWII. Fortunately, I was able to tape several episodes of it - that was about a year ago. I have never seen it since. Perhaps a letter or email to PBS might get them to play that excellent series again. I wonder if you can order them either from PBS or from your local video store? And here's another movie I thought of: Tobruk - with Rock Hudson and George Peppard. There were some excellent combat scenes. ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 63
- 7/10/2000 2:04:00 PM   
Benji

hmmmm... nobody mentions the geratest napoleonic movie: "Waterloo" by Serghei Bondarciuk (half the red army was taking part in that one for the battle scenes)

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 64
- 7/10/2000 5:06:00 PM   
Infanterie

Hear me out: 1. Das Boot 2. The Cruel Sea 3. Stalingrad 4. The Beast 5. Lawrence of Arabia 6. Murphy's War (another Peter O'Toole classic) 7. A Bridge Too Far 8. Winter War 9. The Cross of Iron 10. Steel Panthers: World at War

"The bravery of being out of range..."

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 65
- 7/10/2000 10:34:00 PM   
Major_Johnson

Original message posted by Spunkgibbon: "Does anyone know the name of the film about the crew of a crashed US bomber in the middle of the desert who were all killed and they disappear when their bodies are found? At the end there's only one of them left and his body is under the wrecked plane with no chance of being found. I can't remember who's in it (I seem to remember Steve McQueen but I could be wrong about that) and I've only seen it once when I was a kid but I remember it being really good." Now you got my mind jossled! I remember that movie, but can;t think of the name right now. But the star was Richard Basehart who played the one crew member who jumped out at the right time and survived. I'm gonna pokea around and come up with a title. ------------------ Jeff You serve others best when at the same time you serve yourself.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 66
- 7/11/2000 1:04:00 AM   
Von Rom

With regard to the Battlefield series, here is a link to the latest episode called Battlefield: Vietnam http://www.pbs.org/battlefieldvietnam/ ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 67
- 7/11/2000 3:30:00 AM   
Major_Johnson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spunkgibbon: [B]Does anyone know the name of the film about the crew of a crashed US bomber in the middle of the desert who were all killed and they disappear when their bodies are found? At the end there's only one of them left and his body is under the wrecked plane with no chance of being found. I can't remember who's in it (I seem to remember Steve McQueen but I could be wrong about that) and I've only seen it once when I was a kid but I remember it being really good. Did some pokin' and found your mystery movie!

M.J.!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 68
- 7/11/2000 3:39:00 AM   
Major_Johnson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spunkgibbon: [B]Does anyone know the name of the film about the crew of a crashed US bomber in the middle of the desert who were all killed and they disappear when their bodies are found? At the end there's only one of them left and his body is under the wrecked plane with no chance of being found. I can't remember who's in it (I seem to remember Steve McQueen but I could be wrong about that) and I've only seen it once when I was a kid but I remember it being really good. Whoops! Hit the wrong button. Anyway Spunky, I did some pokin' and found your movie! Sole Survivor, and Richard Basehart was the star. 1969 I believe. It was about a B-24 that got lost over Libya returning from a bombing mission and Basehart was the only one who bailed out at the right time to be over water. And yes it was a good movie. ------------------ Jeff You serve others best when at the same time you serve yourself.

M.J.!

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 69
- 7/13/2000 11:23:00 PM   
asaura

quote:

Originally posted by sami heimola: ..."Talvisota" (Winter War)and "Rukajärven tie" (Road of Rukajärvi Lake) Sami
OK, now we have the list of Finnish WWII movies. Some thoughts: "Talvisota", or "Winter War" is the great Finnish war movie. See it. As the name implies, it covers the 'Winter War' of 1939-40, from an Ostrobothnian viewpoint From the favorite lists others have posted, I assume that it is widely available on video. "Tuntematon Sotilas", or "The Unknown Soldier" is The Finnish war movie, as opposed to the 'just¨' great "Talvisota". This one covers the Continuation War in 1941-44 and is based on the book by Väinö Linna which pretty much defined the war for the nation. The book came out some ten years after the war and had a huge impact. Anecdotes on the book's publication describe a veteran father getting the book as a Christmas present, sitting down to read it in a single session over the night, putting it down and saying "that's how it was" or something to the effect. I can't recommend the English translation, the parts I quickly skimmed through were pretty awful. Enough rambling, this one has been filmed twice: in 1955 and in the eighties. Both versions are very worth seeing, especially the old one featuring Åke Lindman as Cpl Lehto. "Rukajärven tie" (the road around/to Rukajärvi) is called "Ambush" for a reason I can't understand, probably misguided marketing. This covers a bicycle wilderness recon trip to a division's flank at the start of the Continuation War in 1941. This is a pretty small film, OK but not great. It is not and will not be one of the great war movies made.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 70
- 7/14/2000 1:24:00 PM   
Greg McCarty

I'm old enough to remember the newspaper story upon which this film was based. In 1958 a B25 was found more or less intact bellied in on the Lybian desert. When they went over the area they found bodies of crewmen at various distances from the aircraft. The thing that baffled the investigators was that the crewman had the remains of rubber life-rafts with them in the middle of the desert. The plane had been reported missing from a bombing mission over Italy. The plane had ran low on fuel or something and the crew evidently prepared to ditch over the Mediterranian. However; they were off course considerably, and had no idea they were already over the African coast. So those who had parachuted with life rafts came down in the middle of the desert some distance from the plane. They all perished there. Can't remember if they found anyone in the plane.
quote:

Originally posted by Major_Johnson: [QUOTE]Originally posted by Spunkgibbon: [B]Does anyone know the name of the film about the crew of a crashed US bomber in the middle of the desert who were all killed and they disappear when their bodies are found? At the end there's only one of them left and his body is under the wrecked plane with no chance of being found. I can't remember who's in it (I seem to remember Steve McQueen but I could be wrong about that) and I've only seen it once when I was a kid but I remember it being really good. Whoops! Hit the wrong button. Anyway Spunky, I did some pokin' and found your movie! Sole Survivor, and Richard Basehart was the star. 1969 I believe. It was about a B-24 that got lost over Libya returning from a bombing mission and Basehart was the only one who bailed out at the right time to be over water. And yes it was a good movie.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 71
- 7/14/2000 1:31:00 PM   
Greg McCarty

I have a question: The film Stalingrad, the more recent one, was based on an earlier film, same subject and title, also German, from 1958 according to the film catalog. Anyone seen that one and is it worth obtaining? It too, is available from some outfit in New Jersey.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 72
- 9/9/2001 6:06:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by cward:
Probably the first anti-war movie "Steel Helmet" quite interesting..
Oh yea of little knowledge, you totally ignore the granddaddy of them all: All quiet on the Western Front (1930 version) Perhaps the most depressing war movie ever made, it was banned in several countries to keep it from affecting recruitment.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 73
- 9/9/2001 6:15:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by FrankyVas:
The devil's brigade ,
Das Boot,
Memphis Belle ,
All quiet in the western front,
The Seven Samurai (Small war, but war none the less) ok, back to work. Frank V.

The reason I searched thru the back posts. TBS is showing The Devil's Brigade later this month if you are in North America and get cable. I just hope they plan to show Zulu (my favorite war movie) in Oct, during their movies for men who like movies series. It was after all, picked by Playboy magazine as the #1 men's movie. Seven Samurai has the distiction that it was remade 3 times, once as Japanese scifi as Message from Space, twice by Hollywood, as a western The Magnificent Seven, and lastly as scifi as Battle beyond the Stars.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 74
- 9/9/2001 7:07:00 AM   
SAMWolf

Kanal by Andrzej Wajda - About the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. The Bridge by Bernhard Wicki - About some Hitler Youth defending a Bridge at the end of the war. The Alamo - John Waynes Classic All the Fine Young Men - About 8th Air Force Crews, daylight bombing and the B-17. All real footage. Plus most of the other "top 10's" mentioned.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 75
- 9/9/2001 7:29:00 AM   
Tomanbeg

'A walk in the Sun'
And can someone help me with the name of the Bogart film about the crew of a Grant that has to defend the only well around for miles and miles. It is set in the Desert and is a first rate movie but the title escapes me.
"To hell and back". Had to be the most realistic, since the guys that fought there are the ones that made the movie.
T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 76
- 9/9/2001 7:37:00 AM   
Drex

Was it the movie where they dug it up out of the sand? I want to say "The Iron Lady" but that might be another film. I now think the name had "Sahara" in it.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 77
- 9/9/2001 7:40:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well I looked through the posts rather briefly. It appears all my favs made the list. I own dang near every war movie ever made (obsession with collecting them). I havent acquired many that have been made in the last 20 years though. To many recent films have been more action adventure and not enough substance, such that we would honour them with the term "war movie". I must comment though on two submissions that were made near the beginning of the thread.
I own the Why We Fight Series. Amazing footage.
The film just reeks though of propaganda (not surprising though considering why the films were made). I find myself to some extent unable to listen to them. They have to the most excessive pro allied dialogue in existence (no I am not even remotely into the other side). But amazing footage if you are looking for visuals.
The other film well I guess its just my opinion perhaps. The Thin Red Line is to the novel of thre same name, what the film Dune was to that novel of that name. Both were good books that got thoroughly raped on the screen. Its almost impossible for me to actually pick a favourite film I guess. I like my films credible. Not anally accurate, but they have to put out the effort to get the occalades from me. I say the Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far are number 1 and 2 for me. I was apalled by the first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, so it earned position 3. By apalled, I mean I was stunned, horrified and given a good glimpse of the hell it must have been. The only thing missing was the smell (glad Speilberg hasnt figured that out yet). Has anyone seen any material from "Band of Brothers" yet? I saw some material tonight on a movie television blurb. This could be the next major film success.
And after that abortion of a film called Pearl Harbour it will be a welcome breath of fresh air. Yes I feel Pearl Harbour was an outrageous piece of garbage and a betrayal of the memory. Heck I am not even american and the quality of the film made me angry. With "Band of Brothers" or what I glimpsed, I saw an incredible amount of outstanding vehicle work (considering it is after all 2001 and WWII tanks are hard to arrive at). The tiger looked like altered Leopard chassis again but was great looking all the same, the panther I saw was impressive too. Any complaints would be just idiotic level pickiness. The munitions appear free of the usual hollywood obligatory petroleum additives added for the benefit of joe public types that wouldnt recognise a real explosion if it happened to them. I have seen a lot of great war movies. But the truth is if you want something "accurate" to look at you need documentary footage. Of course the footage is just footage in a lot of cases. You have to know your material. I have watched Royal Tigers invading Poland in 39 before for instance. The footage doesnt always match the dialogue. But some series have such an enormous wealth of amazing material. I wont start listing series here. Suffice it to say, if you can name it odds are I own it. I have something like 200 tapes worth of the stuff. It actually exceeds in volume my war movies. Great stuff to play in the back ground during war games with my war gaming buddy.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 78
- 9/9/2001 8:08:00 AM   
Zevious Zoquis

OH wow. I can't believe how some of you guys seem to make a concerted effort to ignore Saving Private Ryan. SPR is without a shadow of a doubt the single finest representation of combat hell that has ever been put to film. Theres just no two ways about it. Granted, the story is a tad sappy (though not nearly as dreary and silly as Enemy at the Gates) but come on, why do you watch war films if not to gain some understanding of just what it's like to be in combat -- and no film I've seen has come anywhere close to filling me with the kind of sheer terror I felt the first time I saw the opening 25 minutes of SPR. OK, maybe (just maybe) it's not THE BEST war film ever but I just don't see how anyone could list ten war movies and not include it. But, theres no accounting for taste is there. Oh, and Tom Hanks is great in SPR. Can't figure out how anyone could say the movie is good "in spite" of him. He's the perfect "everyman" for the role. Just my $0.02. Oh, and I too am really looking forward to Band of Bro's. [ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: Zevious Zoquis ]

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 79
- 9/9/2001 8:36:00 AM   
smokstak2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Greg McCarty:
[QB]I'm old enough to remember the newspaper story upon which this film was based. In 1958 a B25 was found more or less intact bellied in on the Lybian desert. When they went over the area they found bodies of crewmen at various distances from the aircraft. The thing that baffled the investigators was that the crewman had the remains of rubber life-rafts with them in the middle of the desert. The plane had been reported missing from a bombing mission over Italy. The plane had ran low on fuel or
something and the crew evidently prepared to ditch over the Mediterranian. However; they were off course considerably, and had no idea they were already over the African coast. So those who had parachuted with life rafts came down in the middle of the desert some distance from the plane. They all perished there. Can't remember if they found anyone in the plane.
Would that be the "Lady Be Good"? If so, at the USAAF Museum, they have several artifacts from the aircraft on display there. -Tim

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 80
- 9/9/2001 9:02:00 AM   
tracer

Everybody missed one: When Trumpets Fade. Only film I know of covering the battle of Hurtgen Forest. I own SPR, Stalingrad, Das Boot, Cross of Iron, Bridge Too Far and Kellys Heros on DVD, but keep watching an old VHS I taped off HBO of When Trumpets Fade. If you haven't seen it I think you should...the images in it stick with me long after the movie's over.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 81
- 9/9/2001 10:00:00 AM   
MaxGross

I can't believe you all forgot about "Gung Ho" with Randolph Scott, especially all you Marines. I like all of them, but I'm Partial to the "The Big Red One" for personal reasons. Same action, different war. Maybe Wild Bill would remember because most of you are too young, but when I was but a lad I saw a war movie where a bunch of GI's got ambushed on a train. That's all I can remember. I believe it was Asian soldiers who did the ambush. Came out in the early 50's or late 40's I want to say. I've never saw it again. Ring any bells?

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 82
- 9/9/2001 10:55:00 AM   
parusski

I must say there are a lot of war movies I really like. But my all time favorites are:
1. Stalingrad
2. Cross of Iron
3. Winter War
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. Das Boot I think there are no movies that really compare to these for there brutal and honest portrayl of war. Beyond that, they are also just damned good movies. Dodya, dasvadanya

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 83
- 9/9/2001 10:57:00 AM   
Truckeye

i think youre right, i saw SPR again last week and had the same thoughts that some of the SPWAW sounds were from the movie! Sniper had its moments. Predator while a sci-fi movie had some fun combat stuff in it. but if we say sci-fi that opens a can of worms.
all my favorits are already on here so i was trying to bring up ones not mentioned. and yes, i liked Red Dawn

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 84
- 9/9/2001 11:51:00 AM   
Randy

For those of you who have HBO, the new Steven Speilberg movie Band of Brothers starts this Sunday night. It's about an American Paratroop Co. in 1942, and goes throughout WWII. Its based on a book by Steven Ambrose.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 85
- 9/9/2001 12:34:00 PM   
Major Destruction

The Tank This film cuts to the quick. A story of a Soviet tank crew in Afganistan.
The commander is a veteran of WW2 and loooks more like a SS Panzer commander than a Russian. He also acts like one. The crew is more like a US army Viet Nam conscript than a Russian and they do their duty in much the same way. Dirty business. Very emotional.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 86
- 9/9/2001 2:36:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

I don't think anyone has mentioned 'Die Brücke' (The Bridge) based on the book written by Manfred Gregor. A story about seven German schoolboys ordered to defend a small bridge against the onrushing US forces in the last days of the war. Quite a movie.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 87
- 9/9/2001 2:56:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

I don't know it ya'll are sticking to Ground Combat but Dr. Strangelove deserves mention for portraying the sense of mission orientation that went with the Cold War ... The Bedford Incident is another good one ...Also Crimson Tide did a good job dealing with some of the mental
aspects and whats at stake ....
In the Ground Combat category along with Bridge to Far and the Longest Day... Guadacanal Diary ...and Sahara are couple of my Favs ..The Rough Riders hasn't been mentioned . I think it deserves mention ... M.A.S.H ( the Movie) had a lot of truth in it I thought... The Battle of Britian is one of my favs ... Against The Wind is another good one ...and Yes I watched Saving Private Ryan..once ..I liked it but it will be a while before i watch it again ...

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 88
- 9/9/2001 7:48:00 PM   
nexus

quote:

Originally posted by Greg McCarty:
I have a question: The film Stalingrad, the more recent one, was based on an earlier film, same subject and title, also German, from 1958 according to the film catalog. Anyone seen that one and is it worth obtaining? It too, is available from some outfit in New Jersey.
hallo. yes,there was another (good,as i remember) film from east front war. i´m not shure if it´s esp. about stalingrad. the title in german is: "Hunde,wollt ihr ewig leben?" means: "Dogs, do you want to live forever?"

Greetings Frank

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 89
- 9/9/2001 7:53:00 PM   
philippe hubert

hi all i remember when i was young to have seen a movie with Robert wagner who was a F-86 sabre pilot, and his aircraft was going down in the korean lines. this movie made animpression on my little kid brain but, now i couldn t remember the title oh this movie. is anyone can help me to find the title ? i would like to see it again and without title no way to do it bye
best regards

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI