Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/9/2001 8:06:00 PM   
nexus

why doesn´t anyone mention: platoon ?????? this should be one of the best vietnam movies..or not??? apocalypse now very cool,too as i don´t know the english titles i post the german namens of some more films,i like (but i can´t remember all of course) - die brücke von remagen (great film,great actors...the scene at the end where the german major is executed by the SS makes u very angry about the facists system,it´s a great scene he looks up in the skies where allied bombers fly and then the SS man fire at him...i can´t remember the name of the actor. very good) - die brücke von arnheim (one of the best films ever made) - gettysburgh (strongly underraterd!!) - der längste tag (invasion ´44) - das boot (in german tv there was a series from that film,much longer than the cinema version i think) overrated films in my opinion: - stalingrad (good film,but no classic IMHO)
- saving private ryan (ok film but not comparable to above)

Greetings Frank

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 91
- 9/9/2001 11:36:00 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

Here are my 'top ten' favorites: 1. 'The Battle of Britain'
2. 'The Dirty Dozen'
3. 'The Big Red One'
4. 'All Quiet on the Western Front' (Lew Ayers version.)
5. 'A Bridge Too Far'
6. 'Force Ten from Navarone'
7. 'Das Boot'
8. 'The Longest Day'
9. 'Cruel Sea'
10. 'Sink the Bismarck' Eric Maietta

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 92
- 9/9/2001 11:45:00 PM   
JECrossNav

I just wanted to add my belated two cents worth. The best is: In Harms Way. Followed in my own order
Casablanca (ok, not exactly a war movie)
Patriot
Patton
The Beast (I think, It was a movie about a Soviet tank crew in Afganastan and thier lone run away from the Maeujaden, I thought it was an EXCELLENT war movie and a great character study, I highly recommend it; and if someone knows the name let me know
Twelve O'clock High
Das Boot only the uncut version; all other lack much, and since I spent 10 years in Subs, I really can point to the reality of this one.
A Walk in the Sun
The Mancherian Canidate Perhaps not exactly a war movie, like my other choice above, but a classic, and its one of the few good ones about dealing with Korea
Soldat! or perhaps it was COMRADES; anyway it was a German flick, that I saw when I was overseas; reminded me of the book about the Frenchmen that joined the 44th HuD Anyway those are my favorites. Not all are exactly "war movies" but they are close. However I do prefer reading the stories to seeing them.

Fair Winds and Following Seas

John E Cross

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andy "By-golly" Jackson

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 93
- 9/9/2001 11:50:00 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

One more: 'The Siege of Firebase Gloria' with R. Lee Ermy.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 94
- 9/9/2001 11:55:00 PM   
valdor17

quote:

Originally posted by philippe hubert:
hi all i remember when i was young to have seen a movie with Robert wagner who was a F-86 sabre pilot, and his aircraft was going down in the korean lines. this movie made animpression on my little kid brain but, now i couldn t remember the title oh this movie. is anyone can help me to find the title ? i would like to see it again and without title no way to do it

The movie was The Hunters (1958) and stared Robert Mitchum.

A66
1st MRB

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 95
- 9/10/2001 12:17:00 AM   
jew_dragov

1. "Die Brücke von Arnheim", the bridge of Arnhem
2. "Stalingrad"
3. "Das Boot"
4. FMJ, "Full Metal Jojo"
5. the soviet films about partisans and cossacks!
[..] Does somebody know the title of this old movie
(from 1950?) where Roberto Blanko plays a (black) soldier of german Africa Corps ?? kmd_dragov -------------------
American propaganda, hahaha

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 96
- 9/10/2001 1:06:00 AM   
bradmbrown

How I Won The War - review The character played By John Lennon is gut shot and dies in the film. Coincidence?? Prophecy? Synchronicity? [ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: General Amnesty ]

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 97
- 9/10/2001 4:26:00 AM   
AC

quote:

- die brücke von remagen (great film,great actors...the scene at the end where the german major is executed by the SS makes u very angry about the facists system,it´s a great scene he looks up in the skies where allied bombers fly and then the SS man fire at him...i can´t remember the name of the actor. very good)
NEXUS, the actor was Curd Juergens. I felt just like you for this scene. Another good german war movie is a film called 08/15, taken from the ononimous novel by Hans Helmut Kirst (1955). It's in black and white. AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 98
- 9/10/2001 4:49:00 AM   
m10bob

1)Patton..2)Saving pvt Ryan...3)Northwest Passage.....4)Twelve o'clock High....5)Winged Victory($100 to anybody who can find me acopy!!!)....6)Gettysburg.....7)Das Boot......8)The Bridge at Remagen....8)Blue Max......9)Platoon((all too accurate).....10)PT109.......

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 99
- 9/10/2001 11:45:00 AM   
Huffy

VALDOR...I think....the movie you are refering to is..."The Bridges at Toko-Ri"...or close to that...not sure.
Huffy

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 100
- 9/10/2001 12:48:00 PM   
Grenadier

quote:

Originally posted by AC:
NEXUS, the actor was Curd Juergens. I felt just like you for this scene. AC

The actor was Robert Vaughan, fresh from "The Man From UNCLE"
I mentioned "The Bridge" way back in July 2000 No one is mentioning "Enemy at the Gates" or "Pearl Harbor"? EATG was very accurate, if a bit contrived. The German equipment, normally always a weak point, was very accurately modelled, especially the Ju-88's and the Pz III's

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 101
- 9/10/2001 1:42:00 PM   
AC

Brent, you're right (I checked). Nexus, sorry for the wrong information. AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 102
- 9/10/2001 1:46:00 PM   
philbo

Hi everyone, In no particular order: Waterloo
Zulu
Saving Private Ryan
everything else every one mentioned and I'll throw in one that I can't believe no one mentioned. 300 Spartans, an awesome movie, IMO!
Phil

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 103
- 9/10/2001 5:23:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by philbo:
Hi everyone, In no particular order: Waterloo
Zulu
Saving Private Ryan
everything else every one mentioned and I'll throw in one that I can't believe no one mentioned. 300 Spartans, an awesome movie, IMO!
Phil

Zulu is my all time favorite, but no one has mentioned the other Spartans. Go Tell the Spartans, it must be the least seen and most underrated Vietnam film. It occupies the middle ground between the Green Berets and movies like Platoon and Apocalyse Now.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 104
- 9/10/2001 6:00:00 PM   
Halgary

quote:

Originally posted by Brent:
No one is mentioning "Enemy at the Gates" or "Pearl Harbor"? EATG was very accurate, if a bit contrived. The German equipment, normally always a weak point, was very accurately modelled, especially the Ju-88's and the Pz III's
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw a T-34/85 in the background in the beginning of EATG? I saw this movie only once, so I could be wrong... Anyway, that would be way before it appeared in the war. Bad mistake Pearl Harbor was the only movie I went to the movie theatre to see and did not bother to watch to the end. An hour of Barbies and Kens kissing and the next hour just things exploding... boring! And the plot was over-predictable. "A Bridge Too Far" is my favourite, followed by finnish "Unknown Soldier" (old version), and "Winter War". "Full Metal Jacket" was my favourite when I was in the army... Every time I saw it, I always felt better thinking: "Well, it could be worse". And when I started grinning like a maniac, my trainers usually left me alone. They'd seen it too

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 105
- 9/10/2001 6:41:00 PM   
Anonymous Sender

In no kind of order at all... Europa Europa
Stalingrad (the original)
Winter War
A Bridge Too Far
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Glory And a few esoteric choice snippets... the first 30 min of Saving private Ryan
the Imperial assault on Hoth sequence in Empire Strikes Back
the end-of-movie battle between Mordred and Authur in Excalibur
both the first and last encounters between the Aliens and the Colonial Marines in Aliens heh...ok, I'll stop now...

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 106
- 9/10/2001 9:35:00 PM   
Panzer Capta

Winter War (dont miss this one!!!!!!!!) Saving Private Ryan Stalingrad Platoon Enemy at the Gates Thin Red Line A Bridge Too Far Longest Day

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 107
- 9/10/2001 9:47:00 PM   
melcer

Hard question since I've seen a few.. Since I prefer it intense and as realistic I can imagine (I've never been in combat myself of course) I think my rating would be like: Winter War (and other finnish war movies)
First 30 min of SPR
Stalingrad I haven't seen Enemy at the Gates yet so I can't rate it. Pearl Harbour I don't even want to mention. At last I must say that Aliens is one of my favourite movie, all categories, but I don't realy categorize it as a war movie. Melcer

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 108
- 9/10/2001 9:55:00 PM   
Rick Borovec

Have seen most of all the before mentioned, but here's two that no one has either seen or they have been forgotten:
The Young Warriors - with James Durey(from the Virginian)
663 Squadron - about a bomber squadron

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 109
- 9/11/2001 12:06:00 AM   
Zevious Zoquis

I thought the last 30 minutes of SPR were pretty damn good too. And the middle part was certainly not "bad" by any means. But the first 30 minutes definitely blew me away. I've probably watched that scene a hundred times now (I just got a dvd last week and SPR was the first movie I purchased for it) and it is truly amazing. I found Enemy at the Gates to be hopelessly silly. The love story element was so clumsy. Thank God Spielburg didn't have Tom Hanks falling in love with a beautiful French peasantwoman played by Julia Roberts in SPR.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 110
- 9/11/2001 12:30:00 AM   
JTGEN

In no particular order -Das Boot (long version or the TV series in fast pace and not in weeks interwalls)
-Winter War
-Apocalypse Now
-Platoon
-Kelly's Heroes
-'Unknown Soldier', both versions
-FMJ
-Thin Red Line
-Japanese series about samurais at war(name?)
-Tora Tora Tora Also good is the one with german boys waiting for the yanks and the one with snowfight before buldge. I think the recent ones like SPR, Gladiator, Enemy at the gates, Patriot, Braveheart and many other have great scenes, but also have some serious plunders that drop them from being at the top. Soviets made also in the 1950's some interesting war movies(often war as a backround and the main thing being of something else). Can not remember the names and probably hard to get in US. What I'am waiting now is the Check/UK movie about air war in WW2.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 111
- 9/11/2001 1:29:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Two films I forgot to mention, I'm absent-minded after all, are: 1. Fail Safe with Henry Fonda as the President and Larry Hagman as his Russian language interpreter. 2. Doctor Strangelove; Peter Sellers does what few British actors have done well, a Mid-Western accent. The scene with Slim Pickens riding the nuke down to the Soviet missile complex is a hoot! Eric Maietta

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 112
- 9/11/2001 5:03:00 AM   
valdor17

quote:

Originally posted by Huffy:
VALDOR...I think....the movie you are refering to is..."The Bridges at Toko-Ri"...or close to that...not sure.
Huffy

Nope The movie Philippe Hubert was refering to (from which he remembers Robert Wagner) was The Hunters (1958). Robert Mitchum plays USAF Major Cleve Saville, a WWII fighter ace flying F86s in Korea. Robert Wagner plays USAF Lt. Ed Pell, a hot shot new pilot in Mitchum's squadron. They both ditch behind enemy lines to save a third pilot, Lt. Carl Abbott (played by Lee Phillips.) Internet Movie Database: The Hunters The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954) stars William Holden as Lieutenant Harry Brubaker, a Navy carrier pilot. Robert Wagner is not in the movie. Internet Movie Database: The Bridges at Toko-Ri

A66
1st MRB

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 113
- 9/11/2001 5:53:00 AM   
parusski

I must agree with those who mentioned:
1. The Bridge-Great Movie I did not see it listed, but a must see is:
2. A Bridge Too Far Dasvadonya, dodya

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 114
- 9/11/2001 10:42:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Apart from the usual favorites, I'll mention "El Cid" and "Alexander Nevsky". If anyone's interested, I wrote a brief review on "Nevsky" (Danny Nugteren wrote the last part on the DVD release) in Wargamer's War on Video section. Unfortunately, the still shots are now gone. Check it out and let me know what you think. Glenn. [ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: KG Erwin ]

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 115
- 9/11/2001 2:28:00 PM   
bradmbrown

I am not sure if one would put this forward as a "war movie." "Ran" a film by Akira Kurosawa. A mature and EXCELLENT Japanese adaptation of Shakespeare's "King Lear." It is among the best films I have EVER SEEN.
You gotta SEE the battle - scenes!! Holy SMOKES! ANYTHING by Kurosawa Sama is worth seeing. I believe he is (was? is he passed away?) one of the world's best film directors. Spielberg can only hope to hold this guy's coat tails and clean his shoes...
sorry...

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 116
- 9/11/2001 7:47:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yo Brent Gee with a 3 digit member number you must have been here a long while. How could you possibly though condone proffering the Pearl Harbour film for anything but a put down. Not only was the film an affront to anyone that was there, not only was it a lousy excuse of a love story, not only was it a pathetic hollywood spectacle complete with special effects that were both not special or even worth watching (because they were grotesquely inaccurate), they put things in the movie that never happened to entertain people that didnt have a clue what really did happen (and will never know thanks to Hollywood). And the Dolittle raid was sneaked in just for the feel good effect of the attack not ending like it actually did (Pearl was attacked, men died, ships were sunk and the Japanese got away unscratched). This film was an unmitigated betrayal of the american public. You americans were let down insulted and used. Any american viewing this atrocity should feel soiled in some way. Yeah all this is strong talk, but each time a war movie uses war as just another reason for an action flick it does that to me. I aint even american even.
But I remember watching some recent documentaries on Canada's activities in the war. It wasnt pretty, a lot of vets were irate at what was said too. But I watched the films and they held no punches. It told the truth (in all its ugliness). We allies didnt fight the war entirely by the rules either. But we won. Winning kinda does that. I have seen a lot of other films that might have been more. But they were often made in an informational vacumn or with technology that was lacking. In todays world that is no longer an excuse. Pearl Habour the film, was just hollywood making money off of your war dead callously. I spit on the producer.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 117
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI