Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US Army with Tactics???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> US Army with Tactics??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US Army with Tactics??? - 7/8/2000 3:49:00 PM   
ChrisMcDee

As I'm sure you all know, the Americans are known throughout history for their lack of tactics and feeling of self superiority. From the Foolish attack on Vietnam to Custer's Last stand, the Americans are not exactly famous for their tactical knowledge and the quality of their troops. So imagine my suprise when I found that the US Army had been given high troop quality and Leadership!!! I suppose all the Americans here will disagree with me, but I just thought I'd have my opinion said and done. ------------------ Verior Procella

Verior Procella
Post #: 1
- 7/8/2000 4:47:00 PM   
jsaurman

Douglas MacArthur, nuff said! Tactical Genius, probably the best tactical commander the world has ever seen. Both WW2 and Korea, the only bad choice I think he ever made was splitting up his force with a mountain in the middle when he got over-confident later on, but his Inchon landing was pure tactical brilliance. As for Custer, the battle plan he was a part of was good, three pronged attack from three different sides, would have worked great, but Custer was a cocky stuckup son of a bitch who though he could do it all himself and attacked with only his prong hours earlier than the plan called for. Needless to say he got his ass kicked, permanently! Robert E. Lee, another tactical Genius, if he had had the same resources as Grant he could have run rings around him, and Grant was not too shabby himself. Just my two cents... JIM

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 2
- 7/8/2000 5:07:00 PM   
bigjim

Hmmm well if we had not decided to leave Nam we would still be killing them 10 to 1, check the stats we lost 50,000 they lost 4 million, they only won when we "decided" to leave for political reasons at home. As for WWII several American Generals were outstanding tacticians, the fact the even a private in the US Army has to learn tactics is a good point in our favor, many German units in WWII were ineffective the minute they lost their NCO's or command structure. Did we have some boobs you bet all armies do and did but in the main the American Army and US forces in general can hold their own with any force in world, of course "opinions vary" I guess but then we haven't lost many and that ONE was really not a loss but withdrawal on our part since from a military stand point we won by any measure while the war was going on. BigJim

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 3
- 7/8/2000 5:51:00 PM   
ChrisMcDee

Somehow I fail to see how Custer's Tactics were good. Splitting an outnumbered force against an enemy is one of the most obvious errors. Haven't you ever read Sun Tzu's Art of War?

Verior Procella

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 4
- 7/8/2000 8:11:00 PM   
bigjim

Chris, No one said Custer's tactics were good??? what he said was the "orginal" plan was good which was NOT Custer's plan but rather someone else's, Custer in effect "disobeyed" his orders when he rushed into what he thought would be an easy battle to rout a few indians. BigJim

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 5
- 7/8/2000 8:26:00 PM   
Aktion T4

Ok, this topic really put a stick in my craw. You think that the US Army or any segment of the US military is lacking in tactics? Revolutionary War - US defeats an organized and well equipped British army with resolve, determination and guerilla tactics. WW2 - Why was Eisenhower given command of the entire allied operations during the invasion of "Fortress Europe"? Because everyone knew the son of a bitch knew what he was doing. Iraq War - Stormin' Norman's invasion of Iraq saved tens of thousands of American lives by pulling off his never to be forgotton logistical feat of slicing into Kuwait and Iraq with practically everything the US had over there and the Iraqi's were still caught off guard. Sure, we have had tactical blunders throughout history and so have 99% of the great armies of the world since the beginning of organized armies. One thing I will say that nobody can deny about the US military. No other army in the world is logistically adept at moving men and equipment anywhere in the world in the shortest time frame possible. What we lack in tactics we definately make up for with good old American ingenuity and logistics. Just my 2 cents Aktion T4

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 6
- 7/8/2000 8:34:00 PM   
Aktion T4

I should also mention the Battle of Midway as another example of good 'ol US tactics. Read this and weep: JAPANESE LOSES CU Akagi CU Kaga CU Hiryu CU Soryu CA Nikuma + 332 aircraft AMERICAN LOSES CU Yorktown DD Hamman + 147 aircraft All I have to say is, "Admiral Nimitz, Chester Fletcher, and Raymon Spruance" 'nuff said I thought I had to put a plug in for the US NAvy as well! 8)

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 7
- 7/8/2000 8:50:00 PM   
bill_k

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisMcDee: As I'm sure you all know, the Americans are known throughout history for their lack of tactics and feeling of self superiority. From the Foolish attack on Vietnam to Custer's Last stand, the Americans are not exactly famous for their tactical knowledge and the quality of their troops. So imagine my suprise when I found that the US Army had been given high troop quality and Leadership!!! I suppose all the Americans here will disagree with me, but I just thought I'd have my opinion said and done.
Sorry, I cannot agree with you in any form. Especially in Viet Nam. Had the military been allowed to call the shots instead of Johnson and his croonies, the outcome would have been much different. Case in point, over coffee and donuts, johnson and company would review proposed targets for the air war on a daily basis. Most times scratching what the military deemed necessary to further our efforts in the war and instead selecting targets of little importance, which many times resulted in the deaths or capture of many air crew members. This idiot even specified time over target and egress points, usually always the same time every day. I think you under estimated the U.S military and it's tactics. Just my thoughts, no offense intended. Bill Keys

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 8
- 7/8/2000 8:54:00 PM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisMcDee: As I'm sure you all know, the Americans are known throughout history for their lack of tactics and feeling of self superiority. From the Foolish attack on Vietnam to Custer's Last stand, the Americans are not exactly famous for their tactical knowledge and the quality of their troops. So imagine my suprise when I found that the US Army had been given high troop quality and Leadership!!! I suppose all the Americans here will disagree with me, but I just thought I'd have my opinion said and done.
And how about those limeys? From Gallipoli to the battle of Cowpens, and from the Zulu's to Yorktown the mighty English High Command has never performed any huge tactical blunders. I am not assinine enough to say that the US was tactically superior to the Germans, but we did have our strengths and weaknesses. The US went from having the old square division at the start of the war to triangular modular divisions by the end. I've always wanted to ask an Anglophile, "how did it feel to watch your "little colony" develop the largest navy in the world from standing still?" You know if Monty would have been in charge of the war we would still be fighting it today. You guys never seemed to grab an enemy by the balls and just rip them off. (that's why Patton detested your bloke and when did Monty ever advance at the Rate of the Third Army?) As for Vietnam... we have Vietnam England has Ireland, and our Revolution, and Singapore. Great nations get their nose bloodied from time to time when the civillians lack the stomach and willpower to do necessary things for victory. How did it feel to lose the mightiest empire the world had ever seen-all in the space of twenty years(give or take?) regards, sven (himself an Anglophile) ------------------ Give all you can all you can give.... [This message has been edited by sven (edited 07-08-2000).] [This message has been edited by sven (edited 07-08-2000).]

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 9
- 7/8/2000 9:15:00 PM   
sven

Oh and another thing "lad", tell me brilliant tactician decided that trench warfare would be all the rage in WW1? It seems to me that England had a nasty habit of getting in over her head and calling on US material production, manpower, and elan to extricate her posterior from the proverbial pyrotechnic resevoir. When is the last time England won an engagemnt bigger than the Falklands on her own anyway? regards, sven ------------------ Give all you can all you can give....

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 10
- 7/8/2000 9:39:00 PM   
Nikademus

hmmm, well this is either a poorly worded request for clarification, or a blatent slander meant to get a rise out of a certain North American culture. I'll opt for the first choice since it takes a better #2 than that to get a rise out of me ;-) what era in game and/or scenerio's are you reffering to for the US Army.? In mid 43 i would expect the majority of US Army divisions to have exp levels in the 50's and 60's which would represent (roughly) a fully trained unit but with little to no 'actual' combat experience. This is again 'in general' as all armies had their share of 'elite' units as well as poor units. Later in the war the #'s should be higher to reflect our experiences in combat. Hav'nt yet done an American campaign so i cant comment on the country training levels therein. For the canned scenerios though the exp ratings i've seen dont seem askew. I'm currently fighting the 'Bushmasters' scenerio, these units were, by the scen notes, more intensivly battle trained which concured with their historical record so the avg exp ratings were in the 70's making them very competant in facing the veteran Japanese units portrayed. I have noticed though that in Soviet scenerio's i've played so far that their exp levels are a bit higher on average than i would expect. It has been giving the Germans a much harder fight than other 1941(ish) scenerio's i've played in the past.

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 11
- 7/8/2000 10:36:00 PM   
Skuderian

Hi! In the seventies there was a big examination lead by famous officiers of the US-Army. They examinated the leadership qualities of the armies in the WW2. They ranked the major powers by following result. 1. Germany 2. Japan 3. US 4. USSR 5. Britain 6. Italy They also ranked the normal soldiers with this result. 1. Germany 2. Japan 3. USSR 4. Britain 5. US 6. Italy from "Der Freiwillige" a german magazine which printed some parts of the study (I never read the whole study) Possible Reasons: The Reichswehr was prohibeted to have more than 100 000 soldiers. They searched for a possibility to increase the army in short time. So everbody in commanding position learned to command troops two levels higher. So every Squad Leader was able to command a company. A normal 2nd Lt. was able to command a baon. This was a reason for the possibility to increase the men strengt in very short time after 1933 (election of Adolf Hitler for Reichskanzler). They also recognised that this system was very good, if one of the leader was killed. During the first 2 years of the war there were some lucky lessons for the german army, where they learned how to use the combined arms. For the rest of the war they had the best tactics of all armies. The russians learned the lesson fast in the last two years they where nearly as good as the germans. Under normal conditions the US Army was not able to win against the Germans. If you study all the big battles like D-Day, El Alamein, Battle of the Bulge or others the only chance to win was mass. If there was no artillery, figther-bombers, or odds with more than 4-1 the US-Forces never attacked. If somebody is interested in gathering more information post it in the forum. Skuderian

gez.

Skuderian

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 12
- 7/8/2000 10:40:00 PM   
Mark_Ezra

The Prussian General, Von Stubben was very frustrated that he had to explain the reason "why" to every drill order to the American Revolutionary army. He noted that he never had to do that that with European troops. They just did what they were told, no questions asked. That fact has never changed in the training or conduct of American arms. We are are a nation of immigrants who question why, value our independence above all else, and believe in ourselves. Tends to make us cocky, sure. It is important to note that the USA was 17th, behind Bulgaria, in Armed forces at the start of WW2. We had a lot of catching up to do. To train, equip and direct a large fighting force in the short time the US did is a remarkable feat that is recognized by literallly ALL the combatant powers of that era and beyond. To do that meant making hard choices. US infantry tactics were limited in scope to reduce training time. The Sherman was weak but easily manfuctured, shipped, and maintained. These and a miriad of other equally mundane subjects added up to as complete a Victory as was ever seen. The US soldier of late '44-45 can stand against any force as equal.

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 13
- 7/8/2000 11:28:00 PM   
thor

It is hard to judge tactics and leadership in a war. It is not a WARGAME! The odds are never balanced and factors that can not be simulated by a computer are not given enough consideration. People slag one army to the next but all nations and all sides fought bravely in WWII. To say one is overrated from the next is kinda bogus. The huge amounts of personel and equipment of the US Army makes them look good, while quality German equipment makes them look good. It usually is a matter of stratigic deployment that had the most bearing on the war, not the individual soldier or piece of equipment. There is exeptions to this. But if every German tank was outnumbered 7 to 1 then good luck for even the bravest and most tactically sound soldier on the battlefield.

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 14
- 7/9/2000 12:24:00 AM   
sjuncal

quote:

Originally posted by Mark_Ezra: We are are a nation of immigrants who question why, value our independence above all else, and believe in ourselves. Tends to make us cocky, sure. It is important to note that the USA was 17th, behind Bulgaria, in Armed forces at the start of WW2. We had a lot of catching up to do. To train, equip and direct a large fighting force in the short time the US did is a remarkable feat that is recognized by literallly ALL the combatant powers of that era and beyond. To do that meant making hard choices. US infantry tactics were limited in scope to reduce training time. The Sherman was weak but easily manfuctured, shipped, and maintained. These and a miriad of other equally mundane subjects added up to as complete a Victory as was ever seen. The US soldier of late '44-45 can stand against any force as equal.
Well said, it seems it has to be pointed out that the US started (relatively speaking) from scratch... This was a side effect of "isolationism" in regards to Europe and her seemingly infinite capacity for warfare. As well as a policy to not have much of a standing army in peace time. As for the Sherman, well lets just say that much maligned tank certainly managed to help the 3 major powers at wars end, to WIN the war... Whereas the venerated almost whorshiped Tiger didn't. One of the things that's constantly ignored by Grogs when it comes to Tanks is speed. rate of fire, Turret speed etc. Things aren't so black and white in real life. It's not just "my armor versus your main gun". Reputations and a certain mythology have been built up over 55 years from people reading jokes, "in extremes" examples, anecdotes with personal bias' and intentional "self deprecating" exaggerations of reality. I hate to site an unattributed anecdote, maybe one of you will remember it (I think it's in "The Longest Day") where a single Sherman takes out more than one Tiger by driving amongst them causing confusion and using it's maneuverability, and turret speed advantage, to great effect. It wasn't just "okay my Tiger's armor defeates your 76 round at 200 meters accourding to my Penatration table; and it's 88 defeats your armor". Simon

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 15
- 7/9/2000 12:29:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Chris, I won't get into an argument with you on the historical value of US troops versus other countries. You have a right to your opinion. All countries have their debacles militarily, Germany, Poland, Japan, etc. We can all point fingers. But I fail to see in the game this "high" quality in US troops. Where do you get that from? I know this came from A..hole to appetite. One of my biggest bitches is the poor quality attributed to the Allied forces, including the US in 1942-1944. Give me some proof of this claim, because I just don't see it in the game. I can give you proof to the contrary, however, simply by choosing some German and then some US soldiers and looking at their experience and morale. The Germans are almost 80% of the time superior. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 16
- 7/9/2000 12:32:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I don't know, Desert Storm, D-Day, Patton's sweep through central and southern France, etc. weren't so bad (G)...Oops, I said I would not do this. Sorry WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 17
- 7/9/2000 12:54:00 AM   
Nikademus

agreed on the Sherman. Tanks, (like battleships) tend have their most obvious characteristics glorified vs the more mundane but equally important (in both strategic as well as tactical sense) aspects. So tanks with either a huge gun and/or thick slabbed armor tend to shine whereas a tank which mediocre armor and/or guns, but with outstanding ruggedness, reliablility and speed would be less appreciated. The Sherman actually had very decent armor for a medium tank on the front quarter, on a par with the T-34 and better than the almost unsloped Mark III's and IV's of Germany. Side armor was deficient given the vertical sides. Outside of 'stats' The tank's worst feature (in early marks) was its distressing tendancy to catch fire when hit (even if the shot did'nt penetrate) hence its nickname as the 'Ronson' tank. Its high silowette was also a sore point with me. But in overall terms of protection, its vulnerabiliy was more testimony to the power of the later generation of German AT weapons rather than mediocrity on the Allied side. Heck, weapons like the German 88/56 and the Panther's 75/70 could easily deal with their own thick hides and we know how well protected those were. As for the 88/71, only the near post-war JS-III had a prayer in hoping to defeat that weapon. in terms of mobility and reliability though, factors often overlooked (not surprising given that wargames like SP:WAW deal strictly with immediate tactical situations) the M4 shined and was actually far better suited for the classic war of movement for which the tank was the prime component. Try to do a classic long range blitzkreig with a King Tiger, see how far you get! (and hope your supply train is well prepared)

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 18
- 7/9/2000 12:56:00 AM   
jsaurman

Thanks for backing me up on the Custer thing, Bigjim. For those who want to read about how Custer screwed up what was probably a good plan, see this link: http://www.history-magazine.com/bighorn.html

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 19
- 7/9/2000 1:35:00 AM   
troopie

One of the most overlooked qualities of the Sherman was its durability. The transmission, drive train and engine were as reliable as Detroit could make. They blew up, but they didn't break down. The Panther, Tiger and King Tiger had the annoying habit of breaking down during even light use, some vehicles spending as much time in the shop as on the road. They look so impressive, and ARE in a short fight, that we tend to overlook their long term deficiencies. Shermans were also easy to manufacture. Admitted, the US didn't have bombers hitting its factories. But when you can produce three tanks to your enemy's one, you can get an advantage. Certainly, one Tiger or Panther is more than a match for one Sherman. But one Panther or Tiger isn't going to face ONE Sherman, it's going to face three or more. The Shermans are faster, and going for side and rear shots. Remember Oom Joe Stalin's "Quantity has a quality all its own." And good operational art benefits you little if you're lead by imbeciles. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 20
- 7/9/2000 2:09:00 AM   
Jagdpanther

Hmmm....countries that use poor tactics? Come on...say it with me Englander...DIEPPE. And why dont I throw in Dunkirk just for good measure.

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 21
- 7/9/2000 3:09:00 AM   
Fabs

I disagree with Chris McDee about American tactics. The American Army picked things up very quickly once it became involved in North Africa, and even in Tunisia gave the Germans something to think about. Given the evident lack of grasp of the facts that he shows, perhaps he should have adopted a less abrasive approach. As far as Vietnam is concerned, I was one of few European young people that actually welcomed the American involvement there, and was sad and disappointed to see them lose. They got in to do a difficult job, and they did not see it through. However I have little sympathy for the argument that goes "our Military was brilliant, it was the politicians and the media that scewed up". The President is also the Supreme Commander. It would be invidious to second guess Johnson and later Nixon, they were handling a very complex situation, with implications that went beyond just what was happening in Vietnam. However, in the end, their conduct of the war did not lead to an American victory, and the manner of the American disengagement is one of the less proud episodes of American history. As far as the body count is concerned, there are many ways to interpret the figures, and some of them do not reflect well on the US. The North Vietnamese and the VC were willing to sacrifice 4m lives to gain control of the whole country. The US lost 56k men, and decided that the heat was too great. How many South Vietnamese died? This is just a different way to look at it. I don't support it, but it just shows that facts mean different things to different people depending on where they stand. In other postings American members have been quite hard when judging other nations and their poor performance at different times in the war. I guess perspectives change when failure is closer to home. Eisenhower was given the top job because America was by then making the major contribution to the war effort. As a diplomat, politician and organiser of one of the greatest human enterprises, he gets full marks from me. I am less convinced of his merits as a tactician. At the level he was, they were not the skills required. Patton was in my opinion the most brilliant of the Allied generals. He had panache, and real flair. He was also a ****ly SOB, and his feud with Montgomery (another difficult character)is well documented. The last time that England won an engagement bigger than the Falklands escapes me. British forces (English+Scottish), with Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans, whipped the Germans and the Italians on their own at El Alamein under Montgomery. That can not be taken away from them. As far as weight of responsibility for militarily defeating the Germans, it is the Red Army that played by far the most important role. I can not understand the bad feeling between the British and the Americans that was so evident throughout the campaigns of 1943-1945. So much petty squabbling cost time and lives so often. Neither side seems prepared to give proper weight to the other's contribution. It is still going on. I can't see the parallel between Vietnam and Northern Ireland. They seem to me to be totally different situations. There were no American citizens living in large numbers in Vietnam and Vietnam was not an American State. I am also not aware of the British having lost in Northern Ireland. As for giving up the Empire, I applaud the British for the way in which they managed their disengagement, made necessary because their position as an imperial power was no longer economically sustainable, in a comparatively bloodless and civilized way. Other empires have collapsed far more violently. America is now the dominating world power. History will judge whether it will perform the role better or worse than those who came before. ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-08-2000).] [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited 07-08-2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 22
- 7/9/2000 4:01:00 AM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by Jagdpanther: Hmmm....countries that use poor tactics? Come on...say it with me Englander...DIEPPE. And why dont I throw in Dunkirk just for good measure.
The Dieppe raid was staged to learn lessons concerning amphibious operations. Being the first ever operation of this nature, it is hardly surprising that it was a disaster. And what is this about Dunkirk? Most historians agree that the evacuation of the BEF was an extraordinary feat, and the British can not be held responsible for the collapse of the French Army. If you want to point out aspects of British generalship that are less than brilliant try Singapore, Greece and a number of episodes in the Western Desert between Rommel's arrival and El Alamein. They may want to draw your attention to Kasserine, the near collapse of the American beach-head at Salerno and Lucas's performance at Anzio. This way the only thing that we have proved is that both British and Americans had their difficult moments during the war. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 23
- 7/9/2000 4:28:00 AM   
sven

Fabs: Perhaps you missed my stating that Vietnam and N. Ireland are similar in and of the situation concerning Joe Six-pack and the will to win. Your analysis of the role of the commander in chief never having lived here is indeed interesting. The CinC's role is not very strictly defined by our Constitution. I love George Bush because he was intelligent enough to not attempt to micromanage the Gulf War. There is no way a President (Except Washington, Grant, and Eisenhower)will ever be able to understand military operations better than his senior leadership. That being the case a good CinC picks the opponent, the objective, and lets the soldiers win. I will not attempt to second guess the former Presidents either, but I will say that micromanagement helped put two of my kinsmans names on the wall. If a problem is serious enough to merit US involvement than it is serious enough to merit a US win unless the CinC wishes the shed blood be in vain. It never fails to amaze me how the rest of the world begs US involvemnt, and then decries our "Imperialism". regards, sven (who does not think American blood should be viewed as a renewable resource) ------------------ Give all you can all you can give.... [This message has been edited by sven (edited 07-08-2000).]

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 24
- 7/9/2000 4:56:00 AM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by sven: Fabs: Perhaps you missed my stating that Vietnam and N. Ireland are similar in and of the situation concerning Joe Six-pack and the will to win. Your analysis of the role of the commander in chief never having lived here is indeed interesting. The CinC's role is not very strictly defined by our Constitution. I love George Bush because he was intelligent enough to not attempt to micromanage the Gulf War. There is no way a President (Except Washington, Grant, and Eisenhower)will ever be able to understand military operations better than his senior leadership. That being the case a good CinC picks the opponent, the objective, and lets the soldiers win. I will not attempt to second guess the former Presidents either, but I will say that micromanagement helped put two of my kinsmans names on the wall. If a problem is serious enough to merit US involvement than it is serious enough to merit a US win unless the CinC wishes the shed blood be in vain. It never fails to amaze me how the rest of the world begs US involvemnt, and then decries our "Imperialism". regards, sven (who does not think American blood should be viewed as a renewable resource)
Sven, America was fighting in Vietnam in pursuit of its own national interest. I applauded its involvement because i am a staunch anti-communist. America is the new world power. Its reluctance to expose its soldiers to the risk of becoming a casualty must be a source of puzzlement to allies and enemies alike. It is well documented. I agree with you that if a problem is serious enough it should warrant the effort necessary to secure a victory. This normally means three things: 1) the possibility of embarassing setbacks on the way there. In such circumstances you need a Leader with determination, a united political system and supportive media and population, who understand the rerasons for the sacrifice. 2) casualties greater than anticipated. The needs are as above. 3) unexpected political complications leading to a widening of the conflict and thus the commitments. Even more need for the above. American politicians want to run wars as media events, with an eye to quick results and the avoidance of traumas. Their political opponents are quick to exploit their bad fortune, as are the media who influence the disposition of the population. In the Gulf they were lucky. In Yugoslavia too. The next mix-up may yet test American power much more severely. The people who ask America to get involved in international conflicts and the people who decry American imperialism are not normally the same. The two situations go with the territory of being a world power. A thick skin is helpful. Regards, ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 25
- 7/9/2000 5:21:00 AM   
sven

a [This message has been edited by sven (edited 07-08-2000).]

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 26
- 7/9/2000 6:59:00 AM   
troopie

Should like to point out that if, Churchill had not pulled most of the British army out of North Africa to help the Greeks, the British would have run the Italians out of Libya before Rommel got there, and he would never have made a reputation as the Desert Fox. As far as Vietnam is concerned, there were two wars there, the political war and the military war. The US won the military war, but that was not the important one. The US military and GVN defeated the Viet Cong in 1972. But the VC would not have stayed defeated. By my estimate, GVN (the government of South Vietnam) lost the political war in 1965. US military aid only delayed the inevitable. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 27
- 7/9/2000 11:54:00 AM   
Sabot Scott

So imagine my suprise when I found that the US Army had been given high troop quality and Leadership!!! I suppose all the Americans here will disagree with me, but I just thought I'd have my opinion said and done. You're mistaking tactics with operational art and strategy. Vietnam was a tactical victory (we won every battle) but a strategic loss (we lost support at home and bailed), unlike our War of Independence which enjoyed tactical and strategic victory. Go read von Clauswitz. The one area where in the US has historically been weak has been in the operational stage. I say has been because we licked that problem in Desert Storm!

Sabot

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 28
- 7/9/2000 5:15:00 PM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by troopie: Should like to point out that if, Churchill had not pulled most of the British army out of North Africa to help the Greeks, the British would have run the Italians out of Libya before Rommel got there, and he would never have made a reputation as the Desert Fox. As far as Vietnam is concerned, there were two wars there, the political war and the military war. The US won the military war, but that was not the important one. The US military and GVN defeated the Viet Cong in 1972. But the VC would not have stayed defeated. By my estimate, GVN (the government of South Vietnam) lost the political war in 1965. US military aid only delayed the inevitable. troopie
You are absolutely right about Churchill diverting troops from North Africa to Greece. It was a strategic blunder. Rommel did get his chance, and his superior generalship gave the 8th Army a very hard time. They did not help themselves by suffering from problems of poor combined arms co-ordination and eventually falling under Rommel's invincibility spell. El Alamein was the turning point. From then on, superior generalship had to give way to weight of material. Montgomery was also a better commander than his predecessors. Was he better than Rommel? Montgomery supporters will point out that he beat Rommel twice, at El Alamein and in Normandy. But then in Normandy Rommel was not calling all the shots. Patton, Rommel, Montgomery, Von Manstein, Guderian, Zhukov... maybe we should start a thread discussing which of these guys was "el supremo". That should make for an even more interesting and lively debate. I agree with your analysis of Vietnam being two wars, and the US losing the main one. The US needed to learn that overwhelming military power on its own is not a guarantee of ultimate success. That lesson should make it a better world power. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 29
- 7/9/2000 10:46:00 PM   
Hauptmann6

Arg, I need to stay out of the generals debate, but you need to add one name, Bradley. At low levels the US has always been quite good due to the initiative taken but the small unit commanders, where we were weak was in the operational level, battalion, regimental/ division. at the strategic level, we are about the best. I will shut up now before I go into rant mode hehe... Haupt

(in reply to ChrisMcDee)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> US Army with Tactics??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI