Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 1/28/2006 2:14:59 AM   
Afrika Korps

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

you can turn the meter off or on now
shift + *

What is this willy meter you speak of?

DAK

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 31
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 1/28/2006 2:40:15 AM   
Alby

yes hit shift plus *(willy meter symbol) and turns off or on willy meter.

(in reply to Afrika Korps)
Post #: 32
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 1/28/2006 3:22:19 AM   
robot

when this * shows up you have been spotted. Gives you the willys knowing some one can see you but you cant see them ergo willy meter.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 33
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 1/28/2006 3:55:59 AM   
Major_Mess

quote:

I understand that Alby, but correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that function is more for playing against the AI. Both players in a PBEM game would have to be on the honour system to switch it off each turn. What I shoulda said was "When involved in a PBEM game, it would be nice to have the "Willy Meter" toggled either On or Off when the game is being set-up."

I've only had the pleasure of a couple of H2H PBEM's so far, and I think I Like It!. In my mind at least (please don't look in there tooo closely - thar be Monsters!) the lack of the Willy Meter sorta kinda makes up for the force-field smoke screens that all decent PBEMer's live by.

It's not that I think it Feels Right, I just think that without the * it somewhat balances out the two strengths.

I'm almost drooling at the thought of using the 8.40?/Depot Multi Modded (with vehicles)/adjusted to Programers Conventions/Willy Meter toggled Off PBEM game.

Now we're talkin'

Anyhoo ................................ it was just a thought.

Major Mess

PS: Those other ideas concerning dismounting infantry sounds good too.

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 34
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 1/28/2006 4:59:42 PM   
Alby

Its a whole different game without that willy meter
you always thinking,, "I wonder if I am spotted"

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 35
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 1/28/2006 6:36:18 PM   
Afrika Korps

Heh, didn't know you could turn that off....I will keep it on, the "willy meter" saved my bacon in RL...

DAK

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 36
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/6/2006 8:06:17 PM   
patho

hi generals!
this is my second or third post here, but this doesnt mean i got nothing to say
im more a reader then a writer, not least cause im bad in english
i just wanna lead the discussion back to the topictitle for a few moments to say "my wishes" for SPWAW:
i totally agree with dragoon 45, FNG and others here, if they suggest to make bridgelayer-units and pioneers, which help repairing vehicles and guns. in some scenarios or campaigns i miss the possibility to use the "bridgehead"-tactics without using the barge-carriers. and what is as bad as a gunless tank? here would be nice to have the "maintenance-squad", which i sometimes saw in SPWAW-scenarios.I think this too would be some innovation of an extremly good strategy game! also the idea of an "all guns repeat"-button sounds good to me.
please, dont think i want to say the basic game isnt good, that wouldnt be true! im playing the game since it was in stores the first time and this should show how good this game is in our fastliving world, huh? imho i think im addicted
and at last i want to thank ALL of the guys behind this game and its wide range of mods/scenarios for their incredible work done here since years!!!!
a truly impressed patho

(in reply to Dragoon 45)
Post #: 37
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/7/2006 12:45:14 AM   
soldier

quote:

During amphibious unloading, the units get shot at, and they also do during a glider drop, when the glider unloads. I have brought this to Mike's attention to see what can be done about turning it back on for all unloading troops.

If you unload near shore in the D day scenarios (Gold beach etc) you certainly get pasted but in other scenarios nothing happens. In "Bravery at Betio" no one fires when you unload wether you travel at full speed or drop without moving, so i'm not sure how this works. Do DUKWs and Alligators work the same way as larger loading craft in regards to triggering opfire ? Also while gliders trigger opfire when unloading paradrops do not (should they ?). Dropping into range of enemy fire from aircraft was an extremely dangerous operation and nearly always incurred terrible casualties for the attacker.
There are quite a few inconsistencies in this area of the game that are in desperate need of clean up. I think its an important part of battlefield mechanics that could be better handled (particularly land loading).

quote:

The improvement I would like to see the most is the increase in impassable AFV terrain---or a real high chance for vehicle breakdown.
If you read any WWII accounts of armoured combat the tanks rarely left the roads or very open fields and if they did it was at walking speed and with guidance from a member of the tank crew or nearby infantry.

I also like this idea. If the breakdown feature is switched on then it should actually matter. I have it on all the time but tanks just barge through all kinds of bad terrain like gods. Tankers would not even go near swamp and very rarely travel through jungles, forrest and mud unless in desperate circumstances in WW2. Even shell craters stopped armour dead in its tracks at Cassino.

< Message edited by soldier -- 2/7/2006 1:06:18 AM >

(in reply to patho)
Post #: 38
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/7/2006 4:52:43 AM   
acrosome

Don't yell at me, but...

A Linux port.

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 39
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/8/2006 1:03:07 AM   
sabrejack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

quote:

I understand that Alby, but correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that function is more for playing against the AI. Both players in a PBEM game would have to be on the honour system to switch it off each turn. What I shoulda said was "When involved in a PBEM game, it would be nice to have the "Willy Meter" toggled either On or Off when the game is being set-up."

I've only had the pleasure of a couple of H2H PBEM's so far, and I think I Like It!. In my mind at least (please don't look in there tooo closely - thar be Monsters!) the lack of the Willy Meter sorta kinda makes up for the force-field smoke screens that all decent PBEMer's live by.

It's not that I think it Feels Right, I just think that without the * it somewhat balances out the two strengths.

I'm almost drooling at the thought of using the 8.40?/Depot Multi Modded (with vehicles)/adjusted to Programers Conventions/Willy Meter toggled Off PBEM game.

Now we're talkin'

Anyhoo ................................ it was just a thought.

Major Mess

PS: Those other ideas concerning dismounting infantry sounds good too.

Preach on brother! Amen to that! Word!

The Mess has spoken.

By the way - what I meant by the above sentences was that I agreed wholeheartedly with the good Major's comments regarding the willy meter option in the preferences screen, and the dismounting infantry using movement points etc.

Also - I'm currently playing a Normandy battle in H2H, and you can't tell me that there aren't enough breakdowns! Every time I move a vehicle across rough terrain at much more than walking pace I lose another one. Not complaining - I think it's very realistic, and helps me to play more cautiously (as if I needed that).

< Message edited by sabrejack -- 2/8/2006 3:13:26 PM >

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 40
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/8/2006 1:27:38 AM   
KG Erwin

OK, this much-ballyhooed PBEM game between Afrika Korps and me uses vanilla 8.3 OOBs with programmer conventions applied, and using the 8.403 mech.exe. As a test bed, it's working very well so far. We're getting ever closer to "being there".

(in reply to sabrejack)
Post #: 41
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/9/2006 5:56:18 AM   
soldier

quote:

Also - I'm currently playing a Normandy battle in H2H, and you can't tell me that there aren't enough breakdowns! Every time I move a vehicle across rough terrain at much more than walking pace I lose another one. Not complaining - I think it's very realistic, and helps me to play more cautiously (as if I needed that).

I only play H2H and think it generally handles everything better than the standard version 8 (except for rider casualties and sniper assault fixes). Usually the terrain in H2H scenarios is much tougher and some times their are little tricks like impassable forests and such (some designer terrain tricks). I think its more realistic too but I wouldn't say that about a standard version computer generated battle. Armour just goes where it pleases with little concern.

quote:

I've only had the pleasure of a couple of H2H PBEM's so far, and I think I Like It!. In my mind at least (please don't look in there tooo closely - thar be Monsters! ) the lack of the Willy Meter sorta kinda makes up for the force-field smoke screens that all decent PBEMer's live by.

I think smoke should be changed too. The brick wall smoke screen is not realistic, it acts like real cover in WAW and is abused as such (yes i do it too). Also Sp mortars can go to 0.0 in firing points for HE (or AP) ammo and still fire off 20 or 30 rounds of smoke in a single turn. I'd say thats a bug not a feature.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 42
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/9/2006 6:36:14 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

quote:

Correct sir

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 43
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/10/2006 1:28:25 AM   
Svennemir

A linux version. Or possibly the technical details regarding the availability of APCR rounds for this specific type of cannon which was only mounted on an experimental prototype abandoned in 1941, your choice :).

(disclaimer: the second line is not an insult against the development lately, but an acknowledgement of how close the OOBs have come to perfect)

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 44
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/10/2006 1:35:23 AM   
Goblin

More pictures (or just one even) of me in the game would be a vast improvement.

Goblin

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 45
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/10/2006 5:02:19 AM   
omegaall

Wel I found this nice picture of the Goblin , (finally)....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Goblin

Is this the sort of picture of the Goblin you would like in the game???

http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=71471#71471

http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/files/hopeful_155.jpg

< Message edited by omegaall -- 2/10/2006 5:03:27 AM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 46
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/11/2006 4:51:19 AM   
azraelck

How about a map editor that actually lets you make maps? I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to lay one fraggin' tile, but there's no option to do so. Even Devil Whiskey; which makes you learn an entire programming language in order to create your own dungeons; isn't this aggravating. Given the scale of the map I'm trying to make, I should have had the basic terrain laid down by now, and been placing units and overlays. I've got the manual set open, and it says nothing about actually doing anything. The editor only lets you open a thumbnail map, turn hexes on and off, and open or save maps. Not actually create a new one.

(in reply to Afrika Korps)
Post #: 47
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/11/2006 5:34:20 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: omegaall

Wel I found this nice picture of the Goblin , (finally)....

quote:

Goblin

Is this the sort of picture of the Goblin you would like in the game???

http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=71471#71471

http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/files/hopeful_155.jpg

I *do* like Kats, so I would be mollified if it were included.

Goblin

(in reply to omegaall)
Post #: 48
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/11/2006 5:37:58 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: azraelck

How about a map editor that actually lets you make maps? I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to lay one fraggin' tile, but there's no option to do so. Even Devil Whiskey; which makes you learn an entire programming language in order to create your own dungeons; isn't this aggravating. Given the scale of the map I'm trying to make, I should have had the basic terrain laid down by now, and been placing units and overlays. I've got the manual set open, and it says nothing about actually doing anything. The editor only lets you open a thumbnail map, turn hexes on and off, and open or save maps. Not actually create a new one.

The editor in the game is quite easy to use, and does let you design the map any way you wish. Feel free to start a thread with specific questions, and also see this Forum area at The Depot, all about Designing:

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=734680d8b8f505518e7293bb57a116bc

If you really need help, and are in the US, I would be happy to call or receive a call to answer any questions. PM me if you need help.

Goblin

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 49
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/11/2006 6:56:05 AM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: azraelck

I think you are using the wrong map editor (for now, at least). The Scenario Editor in the game itself has both a scenario and a map section; the map edit area is a full-blown map creating tool.

I beleive you may using Fred Chlanda's WAWMap program, which is an advanced editing program. Although possible to create a map using it, it is not as 'user-friendly' as the game-issued one. I usually use it to improve a basic map I created in the game Editor, since it allows you to directly change the hex data itself.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 50
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/11/2006 8:11:09 PM   
azraelck

Goblin: Thanks for the link. I have yet to find anything useful pertaining to the map editor, but otherwise have found a good bit of stuff there.

I've looked at the Map editor, game editor, and map thing. None of which do anything pertaining to making a map.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 51
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/11/2006 8:23:36 PM   
Goblin

Flash may be right. To make a map easily, go into the game, then select Solitaire play. Click 'Editor'. You will see some buttons relating to Maps, including the terrain type (winter, desert, summer, jungle, etc). You will also have the ability to load a blank map of different sizes by selecting Load, or just edit a map until it is blank and then start filling it in. Click Help while in the map editor for a list of common keys to use. You can save the map, or actually continue using the editor to make a scenario.

Goblin

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 52
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/12/2006 1:01:08 AM   
FlashfyreSP

And there is a whole section in the game manual (PDF in the main folder) on how to design maps and scenarios. It explains what all the buttons do in the Editor.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 53
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/12/2006 5:08:03 AM   
azraelck

As it turns out; my problem was that I was trying to use the programs that are packaged with the game; and never even noticed that there's an editor in-game.

Still having issues with it, but now at least I can lay down terrain (except cliffs for some reason). Thanks again y'all.

Post #: 54
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/12/2006 6:45:54 AM   
FlashfyreSP

Cliffs: Can only be placed on Slope hexes. To make a proper rugged mountain, stack the Height 10, 20 and 30 hexes side-by-side, to create a tiered look. Now you can place 'cliff' hexes along the slopes between the three levels.

Also, cliff hexes cannot be transited by any unit except Special Forces-classed infantry, and then only by using all their movement. To provide access to the upper levels through cliffs, you will need to leave one or more Slope hexes open, although they can be Rough or Rocks as well.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 55
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/12/2006 9:57:51 AM   
azraelck

Given that the scenario in mind is only going to be using US Army Rangers with no support; a solid cliff face is fine. It doesn't matter, because a lovely power outtage took care of the map in question for me. At least it wasn't over a year and a half's work like when the computer died and I had a Age of Wonders map lost. I haven't touched that game since.

Post #: 56
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/13/2006 2:45:32 AM   
sabrejack

quote:

If you really need help, and are in the US, I would be happy to call or receive a call to answer any questions. PM me if you need help.

Goblin

His number is 1900-pimp-meister... call him... call him NOW...

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 57
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/13/2006 2:46:02 AM   
Goblin

Who told?!?

Goblin

(in reply to sabrejack)
Post #: 58
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/13/2006 3:00:28 AM   
sabrejack

I saw the commercial on late night tv.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 59
RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? - 2/15/2006 11:11:22 AM   
Colonel von Blitz

Here's my wish list (not in the order of importance :D):

- Vehicles that have reverse gear!!

- Op fire when you unload troops near the enemy...enemy units should have the advantage, not the unloaded unit.

- ability to fire area fire even through the smoke!

- Motorcycles as infantry carriers, not as a super-fast 'infantry' unit. Also there should be heavier movement penalties if driven somewhere else than on the road.

- Forests/other difficult terrain that prevents tank/vehicle movement (for example check out that DENSE finnish wilderness, no way a KV or T-34 would be able to move there)!

- AT/AA guns/MGs/Howitzers/mortars that could be destroyed with a single (and accurate or just lucky) shot, like it was in original SP 1. Even one unlucky shot could nail your 88mm gun, now in SPWaW you just have to kill the gun by killing the crew one by one...BORING!!

- Wider maps, since 100 hexes is way too small. It could be cool to fight massive battles in an area of 200x240 hexes, for example :)

- Proper multiplayer/PBEM -campaigns...at least I have no knowledge that multiplayer campaigns can be played easily. It would be cool to play, let's say, 5 battle campaign with core forces to preserve and auxiliary forces (to be used as cannon fodder :D).

- Target selection for Strike Elements...just a single button, that tells the aircraft wheter to attack infantry (great for strafing landing beaches), or vehicles, or maybe strictly attack specific hex (like Stuka destroying a bridge). Also it would be nice if some of the 'super-recon' ability of aircraft was reduced...no way a pilot, with incoming flak and trying to acquire a target, would be able to register ALL enemy units in the area simultaneously!

- Maybe something to prevent tanks from firing at 'scouting' trucks/motorcycles/jeeps/light vehicles? Dunno if this can be done, but it's just so frustrating to see that your well prepared tank + atg + infantry ambush is given away by a scouting jeep, just because your MG/ATR does not fire but Tiger fires a shot (and of course misses, even though hit % was ~90%!!! ).

- No smoke when firing with on-board artillery/mortar. At the moment, I have agreed with my opponents not to exploit the eye-of-god feature and we agree not to hunt down each others arty by using the appeared smoke as guidance. Of course, if you have LOS to your opponent's arty, then you may call for barrage :)

- Official OOBs should have shelters/bunkers that can load/unload troops. At the moment I use my own, modified, set of OOBs that have some bunkers with carry capacity.

Ok, here are the most important things, that should be corrected IMHO.

-Colonel von Blitz-

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

(in reply to sabrejack)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Wish List, Where would you like to see SPWaW go? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI