Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Coastal Defense Guns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Coastal Defense Guns Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 3:06:50 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Also, earlier I said that I could not find one example of CDs bitch slapping ships as in the original posts since the onset of iron clad warships, and still can't. Why have you been using references to Nelson etc when clearly we have passed the period of heated shot and wooden ships?

Because I really sailed on metal ships that were operating under a doctrine of "do not contest shore batteries - it is too dangerous to do so."
We were not worried about heated cannon round shot - modern shells are MUCH more dangerous - they explode! We sometimes could and did engage shore batteries - but always with a plan - and always with the understanding it was a calculated risk. The doctrine was "if surprised by a hidden battery, get out of there - do not assume you can deal with it."
The only exception is one involving USS Newport News - which set the all time record for heavy shell fire - 252 rounds of 8 inch and 5 inch in three minutes - because she had what are best described as 8 inch machine guns - and because she was able to spot the enemy position (she had a target). You are not listening to testimony: CD guns and regular artillery in the CD role is STILL dangerous - it is not a wooden ships issue.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 181
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 3:18:50 AM   
el cid again

quote:

I don't need to study English El Cid. You post rhetoric you CLAIM are facts and never post your sources so people can determine for themselves whether they are in fact sources or just your beliefs.

I repeat, go study English. Avoid words like "always" and "never" like the plague. I often cite sources. But only one case makes your statement false. Go look up the several threads where I gave data on the heavy Japanese coast defense forts - from an English language reference. Or this thread - you will have trouble not running out of fingers if you just note book names. Why don't you criticize someone else for citing this or that without every time giving you chapter and verse? News flash: I am writing fast, of the top of my head, and I don't know exactly what page and paragraph to find it in. To document everything takes three times as much time to write. There is no point taking that time because you are assuming I would falsely report - when I never would. For me attitude is everything - the essense of professionalism - and the key to accurate analysis. I will not honor unwarranted disrespect. You don't have to believe me - and I bet that after a month of documentation - sufficient to win a court case - you would STILL not believe me - because you already "know" anyone who says something radically different than you expect must be wrong. I run into this in my main modern specialty - PLA. No one believes PLA can have anything good or right. I hope we don't repeat 1941 and find out that is wrong in combat.

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 182
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 3:29:17 AM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

quote:

I don't need to study English El Cid. You post rhetoric you CLAIM are facts and never post your sources so people can determine for themselves whether they are in fact sources or just your beliefs.

I repeat, go study English. Avoid words like "always" and "never" like the plague. I often cite sources. But only one case makes your statement false. Go look up the several threads where I gave data on the heavy Japanese coast defense forts - from an English language reference. Or this thread - you will have trouble not running out of fingers if you just note book names. Why don't you criticize someone else for citing this or that without every time giving you chapter and verse? News flash: I am writing fast, of the top of my head, and I don't know exactly what page and paragraph to find it in. To document everything takes three times as much time to write. There is no point taking that time because you are assuming I would falsely report - when I never would. For me attitude is everything - the essense of professionalism - and the key to accurate analysis. I will not honor unwarranted disrespect. You don't have to believe me - and I bet that after a month of documentation - sufficient to win a court case - you would STILL not believe me - because you already "know" anyone who says something radically different than you expect must be wrong. I run into this in my main modern specialty - PLA. No one believes PLA can have anything good or right. I hope we don't repeat 1941 and find out that is wrong in combat.

I'll use "always" and "never" when they apply and in your case they more often apply than not. I can't remember you ever quoting from a book including the book, page and passage to back up your statements.

And I'm not assuming you would falsely report something but I can't assume that what you report is TRUE if you won't support your assumptions with documentation. I posted many times with page numbers, the book and a passage and I have repeatedly been subjected to this "unwarranted disrespect" that some people seem to like to dish out on people who don't agree with certain biases pervasive in this forum.

I also note that you have twice told me to study English. Personal attacks instead of just starting to cite your source documentation in your posts.

I stand by what I said El Cid in that until you do start backing up what you say with your specific sources your posts will always be questionable. Instead of writting your usual dozen or so rhetorical posts, just prove me wrong by spending the time to put where you got the information and what you based your interpretation on. I'm not going to guarantee I'd agree with your intrepretation 100% of the time but I'd sure in hell have a lot more respect for your posts than I do currently.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 183
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 4:05:05 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

quote:

Theory is fine in the absence of fact, but the reality is there is lots of fact which illustrates that crediting non sepecialized CD guns with specialized capability is in error. Correcting this should be paramount before applying theory and conjecture.

These "facts" are false. Simply false. Talk to a regular artilleryman. My best friend and mentor (of 4 decades) served in US Army on 105s.
My present regiment is commanded by a group of ex-artillerymen - and they proudly maintain a battery of guns for us even though we are nominally light infantry. I don't know why you think ordinary artillery is not effective in a coast defense role, but give any competent artilleryman a realistic number of hours to set up observation posts, survey the firing sites, and fully establish an FDC - it is no longer safe to sail in range.

I'm a gunner. I don't have to talk to a regular arty guy, I'll do. That's why I'm saying that even if the entire area were sited and zeroed indirect fire does not and should not be classed as dedicated CD guns and are nowhere near as effective as high velocity, directed, naval rifles. Apples and oranges and allowing them the same accuracy is simply in error.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 184
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 4:45:48 AM   
Monter_Trismegistos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
You need to check your facts. There were 4 5"/51 Naval guns at Wake. Coast Defense guns of Medium Calibre were usually 6" (or 152mm) 6.1" (or 155mm) or 8" (203 mm). Obviously able to engage cruisers, but a bit small for threatening BB's. The only difference between a Field Gun and a Naval Gun is the Mounting and the Fire Control. Look at French Light Cruisers of the period..., they all mount 6.1" Guns,

Hey man what are you talking about?

The longest French field gun from 155's was 155mm long GPF with barrel lenght 30 calibres. French light cruisers were armed with 155mm mod. 1920 guns, with length of 50 calibres. You are comparing 2 weapons one with barrell almost two times as long as the other one, saying they are the same? PLEASE CHECK YOUR FACTS AGAIN, before you will point out my mistakes.

Its obvious that naval guns have much longer barrel to give range and punching power, while field guns were only to deliver some quantity of explosives. This is why when you see in game CD gun, you cant think about army field guns!

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 185
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 6:58:46 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

quote:

You need to check your facts. There were 4 5"/51 Naval guns at Wake. Coast Defense guns of Medium Calibre were usually 6" (or 152mm) 6.1" (or 155mm) or 8" (203 mm). Obviously able to engage cruisers, but a bit small for threatening BB's. The only difference between a Field Gun and a Naval Gun is the Mounting and the Fire Control. Look at French Light Cruisers of the period..., they all mount 6.1" Guns,

The longest French field gun from 155's was 155mm long GPF with barrel lenght 30 calibres. French light cruisers were armed with 155mm mod. 1920 guns, with length of 50 calibres. You are comparing 2 weapons one with barrell almost two times as long as the other one, saying they are the same? PLEASE CHECK YOUR FACTS AGAIN, before you will point out my mistakes.

Its obvious that naval guns have much longer barrel to give range and punching power, while field guns were only to deliver some quantity of explosives. This is why when you see in game CD gun, you cant think about army field guns!

Unfortunately, mere field guns seem to behave as equals to dedicated CD guns in the model and is the whole point trying to be made on what is now becoming another B17 thread.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 186
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 7:03:33 AM   
witpqs

I thought that there were different guns defined for the CD units and the land artillery units?

Post #: 187
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 7:35:28 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I thought that there were different guns defined for the CD units and the land artillery units?

They are different devices but I have not noticed much difference in function/performance during play.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 188
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 9:31:23 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Having just done a comprehensive review of devices, I can say the database is awfully inconsistent. There are many cases of double or triple listings for CD guns! There are many cases where the fields are not done properly - although we don't even know if they need to be!
For example, can a CD gun attack a "hard target" on land? If not, it may not matter if it has a "hard target" field value of 0. But IF it matters, this value should be set equal to penetration. Penetration should be close range penetration - which is 1.75 times caliber for a rifle (less for a howitzer, mortar or rocket). Many units have this right - but some do not. Stock sets soft target fields equal to effect - except when it is not set at all or when it is something completely different. I think this is a design flaw - IF artillery engages soft targets I think the effect is not the same as the soft value - because effect = weight in pounds. So I am experimenting with this value = square root of effect. Range is range to the nearest thousand yards. It probably is meaningless over a certain value - but we don't know what that value is? The routines also don't let you get really close except at night. But presumably the penetration value is reduced in higher range bands. There are many cases where the same weapon is shown as a naval gun and a CD gun, or a land gun and a CD gun. The naval guns must be in low slot numbers. CD guns can be in high slot numbers - or almost anywhere else.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 189
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 9:37:48 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Actually, the standard US 155 was French in origin, dating from WWI. And we used it extensively for coastal defense. Since it is the same gun, it clearly is identical, except for the mounting and fire control, as Mike said. Now there are different 155s it is quite true. And some exotic ones are achieving ranges on the order of 42 - 54 km today - look up Gerald Bull. [China's Norinco is offering Bull guns for sale in coast defense mountings]. And no matter the gun, you can load it differently. There are different shell weights, different shell shapes, and different propellant charges. All these things matter. Even the spin of the Earth matters at longer ranges! Nevertheless, the guns are indeed mostly the same as used in other applications.

Post #: 190
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 9:48:44 AM   
el cid again

quote:

I'm a gunner. I don't have to talk to a regular arty guy, I'll do. That's why I'm saying that even if the entire area were sited and zeroed indirect fire does not and should not be classed as dedicated CD guns and are nowhere near as effective as high velocity, directed, naval rifles. Apples and oranges and allowing them the same accuracy is simply in error.

On one point I am confused: why do you say "indirect fire"??? Land artillery can use either direct or indirect fire on a naval target. I am not understanding why you believe it must use indirect fire OR why indirect fire is somehow less effective than indirect fire from a naval gun is? On a ship we call direct fire "local control" in contrast to "director control." It is pretty rare for a ship to use local control except when the directors are out, but land coast defense guns, if undetected, may well prefer to allow the targets to close to point blank range before revealing their position.

Guns on land have inherant advantages over guns on ships. These ALWAYS include:

1) Guns on ships are moving with the ship's course and speed. Guns on land are at surveyed locations. This greatly reduces the fire control problem complexity, as you no doubt understand.

2) Guns on ships are moving with the sea itself. Not only do they pitch and yaw with waves and other motions of the ship in the sea, the sea water always has some (unknown) current - and this unknown generates an inherent error in the fire control solution. Modern ships attempt to compensate for rolling - but no ship can compensate for the current because its instantaneous value is not measurable.

3) Guns on land can be concealed. Guns on ships have no hills or trees to hide behind. There are no obstructions to observation unless the target is more distant than the visual horizon - in which case no gunnery is very accurate.

4) Guns on ships have more trouble measuring range than guns on shore do. Even the most primitive artillery unit can measure what we sailors call bearing from its OPs. The process of triangularization always yields an accurate range - more accurate than can be done by a ship - although it too can theoretically measure bearing from two different points - because the distance between those points is always less on a ship.

5) Guns on shore can use aiming stakes. It is primitive, but effective.
Actually, as you know, artillerymen often use prepositioned aiming stakes. It is just not common to put them in the water! But for a CD job, it is a good idea - and communist countries routinely train to do that. I can jam a radar. But I cannot jam an aiming stake! Properly used, it can yield range, bearing or both, depending on the situation. Ships never could use aiming stakes - since they are moving the relative position of the stakes constantly changes.

In addition to these advantages, guns on land may be proper high velocity rifles. Granted that sometimes mortars and howitzers are used - they are considered even MORE effective because of the angle they approach the target. They may not penetrate as much, but there is not as much to penetrate. But very often there is no inherant difference in a land gun and a naval gun. In our game, Japan should be credited with using 5.5 inch, 5 inch and 4.7 inch naval rifles (not to mention 6 inch, 8 inch and larger ones). These are actual naval guns - not land guns - even if mounted on land. Not much of a disadvantage vs guns mounted on ships in that. Only the advantages listed above.

Now, Mr. Gunner, please explain to me why your guns do not have an advantage over those guns on that ship over there?

< Message edited by el cid again -- 2/20/2006 9:56:37 AM >

Post #: 191
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 12:21:25 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

quote:

On one point I am confused: why do you say "indirect fire"??? Land artillery can use either direct or indirect fire on a naval target. I am not understanding why you believe it must use indirect fire OR why indirect fire is somehow less effective than indirect fire from a naval gun is? On a ship we call direct fire "local control" in contrast to "director control." It is pretty rare for a ship to use local control except when the directors are out, but land coast defense guns, if undetected, may well prefer to allow the targets to close to point blank range before revealing their position.

Guns on land have inherant advantages over guns on ships. These ALWAYS include:

1) Guns on ships are moving with the ship's course and speed. Guns on land are at surveyed locations. This greatly reduces the fire control problem complexity, as you no doubt understand.

2) Guns on ships are moving with the sea itself. Not only do they pitch and yaw with waves and other motions of the ship in the sea, the sea water always has some (unknown) current - and this unknown generates an inherent error in the fire control solution. Modern ships attempt to compensate for rolling - but no ship can compensate for the current because its instantaneous value is not measurable.

3) Guns on land can be concealed. Guns on ships have no hills or trees to hide behind. There are no obstructions to observation unless the target is more distant than the visual horizon - in which case no gunnery is very accurate.

4) Guns on ships have more trouble measuring range than guns on shore do. Even the most primitive artillery unit can measure what we sailors call bearing from its OPs. The process of triangularization always yields an accurate range - more accurate than can be done by a ship - although it too can theoretically measure bearing from two different points - because the distance between those points is always less on a ship.

5) Guns on shore can use aiming stakes. It is primitive, but effective.
Actually, as you know, artillerymen often use prepositioned aiming stakes. It is just not common to put them in the water! But for a CD job, it is a good idea - and communist countries routinely train to do that. I can jam a radar. But I cannot jam an aiming stake! Properly used, it can yield range, bearing or both, depending on the situation. Ships never could use aiming stakes - since they are moving the relative position of the stakes constantly changes.

In addition to these advantages, guns on land may be proper high velocity rifles. Granted that sometimes mortars and howitzers are used - they are considered even MORE effective because of the angle they approach the target. They may not penetrate as much, but there is not as much to penetrate. But very often there is no inherant difference in a land gun and a naval gun. In our game, Japan should be credited with using 5.5 inch, 5 inch and 4.7 inch naval rifles (not to mention 6 inch, 8 inch and larger ones). These are actual naval guns - not land guns - even if mounted on land. Not much of a disadvantage vs guns mounted on ships in that. Only the advantages listed above.

Now, Mr. Gunner, please explain to me why your guns do not have an advantage over those guns on that ship over there?

I say indirect fire because we are seeing direct fire results from indirect fire specialist weapons. A howitzer is a poor direct fire weapon...period.

I'm NOT saying that land weapons necessarily be easily hit or what have you. My only beef is with the apparent volume and accuracy of non specialist guns. As I've posted before, indirect weapons in direct fire mode are at a disadvantage as the are not designed for this yet the model has them performing as well as those which are designed specifically for engaging naval/moving targets. I don't give a hoot about the dedicated CD guns, I just don't want every tube to have the effectiveness of shore based naval rifles.

But anyway, I don't want to get into a volume of fire issue with you as you obviously can swamp anyone...1) unless in local control the naval guns are director controlled; 2) same as 1; 3)ships can move, something not taken into consideration I don't think, unless only to complicate the ship's job in your arguement; 4) news to me, ever hear of dead ground?; 5) movement works for the ship as well.

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 2/20/2006 12:26:36 PM >

Post #: 192
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 3:06:53 PM   
2ndACR

Okay, then Ron, I take it you have no beef at all with my combat result then? You did say that you do not give a hoot about dedicated CD guns. I had in Lunga the 8th Base Force (6 5.5 inch and 16 4.7 inch guns), the 4th CD with (8 5.5 inch and 40 4.7 inch) and the 8th CD with the same armament as the 4th. I may be off some on my counts by a few or types though. My memory is not the same as it was. But all the units were fully upgraded to the next weapon and prepped at 40 for Lunga with ample supplies on hand.

They had been at Lunga for 1 week prior to his attack. Very low disruption or fatigue. These are all naval guns and not artillery pieces that fired. Or if any non naval guns fired, it was not many because they have hardly none.

Post #: 193
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 3:30:48 PM   
frank1970

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/A1152244

There you have your invasion and your coast defense guns and the results: 3000 Canadian dead, bunches of ships/boats sunk.

Outcome: 3,367 Canadians either killed, wounded or captured; 275 British killed, one destroyer and 33 landing craft lost; 550 seamen dead, 106 aircraft downed.

Result: Don´t fool around with coast defence if you haven´t surpressed it.

It was admitted that an air bombardment prior to landing would in future be ordered. A need for improved amphibious capabilities was also recognised.

http://www.naval-history.net/WW2CampaignsAmphibious2.htm
25th - As cruiser "Glasgow" in company with US warships bombards Cherbourg, she receives several hits from shore batteries and is out of action for the rest of the war.
Obviously bombrding ships were hit.

At last some information about fortifications:
http://home.datacomm.ch/martin.egger/fortifications.htm

< Message edited by Frank -- 2/20/2006 3:35:22 PM >

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 194
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 6:10:09 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

quote:

I said it was the same size gun, not necessarily the same calibre. And the US M1A1 model used during the war is a 45 calibre weapon. But the point was that you said "You are generally treating field guns prepared to fire against landing forces as a coast defence guns. There is much difference between them. Coast defence guns of medium calliber had enough power to endanger even the biggest ships. " And I was pointing out that medium CD guns are generally 6" to 8" and NOT a major threat to "the biggest ships".

I am not claiming that Field Artillery guns (whether they have aiming stakes or not) are generally effective as CD weapons. But if you put a large one on a "panama" or "kelley" mount and tie it in to CD-type Fire Control, then it can be effective in the CD role. What I'm saying is that true CD systems are under-rated in the game, and other artillery is over-rated. I don't think we are very far apart except in semantics.

Post #: 195
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 7:56:25 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Okay, then Ron, I take it you have no beef at all with my combat result then? You did say that you do not give a hoot about dedicated CD guns. I had in Lunga the 8th Base Force (6 5.5 inch and 16 4.7 inch guns), the 4th CD with (8 5.5 inch and 40 4.7 inch) and the 8th CD with the same armament as the 4th. I may be off some on my counts by a few or types though. My memory is not the same as it was. But all the units were fully upgraded to the next weapon and prepped at 40 for Lunga with ample supplies on hand.

They had been at Lunga for 1 week prior to his attack. Very low disruption or fatigue. These are all naval guns and not artillery pieces that fired. Or if any non naval guns fired, it was not many because they have hardly none.

Man, regardless of which one of you guys I try to answer, you guys twist my meanings to suit your point. Yes I have a problem with your result but there are more issues at work here than just the broad paint stroke that seems to paint all guns like dedicated CDs. I have a problem also with the fact that the TF can't break off or maneuver to save its' ass, it just takes it. I also have a problem with the amount of fire any coastal gun seems to pump off. But a warship TF engaging unarmed APs breaks off early every time. If they could this would not have been the bloodbath you experienced, which was over the top any way you slice.

Either way, it is pretty clear to me at least (and to anyone who has read alot of naval history) that the result you had was extreme to say the least for whatever multitude of reasons , and if you guys like it great. If this is the norm around here I guess I give up. You win. My brain is sore pounding it against immovable objects. I'm going to go play in another sandbox.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 196
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 8:32:23 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

(snip)....
Yes I have a problem with your result but there are more issues at work here than just the broad paint stroke that seems to paint all guns like dedicated CDs. I have a problem also with the fact that the TF can't break off or maneuver to save its' ass, it just takes it. I also have a problem with the amount of fire any coastal gun seems to pump off. But a warship TF engaging unarmed APs breaks off early every time. If they could this would not have been the bloodbath you experienced, which was over the top any way you slice.

Either way, it is pretty clear to me at least (and to anyone who has read alot of naval history) that the result you had was extreme to say the least for whatever multitude of reasons , and if you guys like it great. If this is the norm around here I guess I give up. You win. My brain is sore pounding it against immovable objects. I'm going to go play in another sandbox.

I completely agree with you Ron, and another point to bring up:

- Ok ok I know there are no stacking limits - of any kind - anywhere - nodda.... fine, point taken.
However, I don't know of any historical example of multiple CD units in the same area (not just 60 miles - but at the same point to cover the same beach/channel) that ever allowed anyone in WWII to put 100 or more guns simultaneously on the same target (ship).

That entire deal seems totally unrealistic to me....

B

Post #: 197
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 9:06:48 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

I'm going to go play in another sandbox.

This does not mean I'm leaving the forum because of "negativity." Good grief.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 198
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 10:17:21 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

BTW I want an answer and I need it now :)

As I thought, the guns as designed in this game are NOT firing at ships passing by unless they are of Naval or CD guns, or it's invasion force landing troops. Am I wrong?

If I am correct - game is working as it should be. CD guns (as I thought before in real life CD guns were always of naval type - I mean long barelled and high-powered - and not of army field type. You told me about US 155mm field gun acted as CD gun, but really its first time I've heard that relatively short barelled field gun acted as CD) are coast defence guns, and their mission is to fight ships. Other (field guns) are beaches-protection anti-amphibious guns and their task is to fight with troops, transports and landing crafts. Well as I see (mostly in AARs - still to few time spent on playing, to many time spent on forum reading and modding :) ) only CD fire at ships, and field guns firing only at amphibious forces trying to land at the base. Seems quite correct to me.

So again, please answer me if I am correct about behaviour of guns IN GAME.

I agree that bombardment TF commander should retreat much earlier avoiding heavy losses, and in real life this would happen. But if it wouldn't, we would surely get the ships slaughtered as we saw in combat report in first post.

I think the main error is that "Escorts Bombard" should be mad by designers OFF by default. This would (possibly? bombardments more cautious and less bloody. Full scale bombardment, with risk for the ships, should be only AN OPTION.

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

Post #: 199
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 10:28:04 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

BTW I want an answer and I need it now :)

As I thought, the guns as designed in this game are NOT firing at ships passing by unless they are of Naval or CD guns, or it's invasion force landing troops. Am I wrong?

If I am correct - game is working as it should be. CD guns (as I thought before in real life CD guns were always of naval type - I mean long barelled and high-powered - and not of army field type. You told me about US 155mm field gun acted as CD gun, but really its first time I've heard that relatively short barelled field gun acted as CD) are coast defence guns, and their mission is to fight ships. Other (field guns) are beaches-protection anti-amphibious guns and their task is to fight with troops, transports and landing crafts. Well as I see (mostly in AARs - still to few time spent on playing, to many time spent on forum reading and modding :) ) only CD fire at ships, and field guns firing only at amphibious forces trying to land at the base. Seems quite correct to me.

So again, please answer me if I am correct about behaviour of guns IN GAME.

I agree that bombardment TF commander should retreat much earlier avoiding heavy losses, and in real life this would happen. But if it wouldn't, we would surely get the ships slaughtered as we saw in combat report in first post.

I think the main error is that "Escorts Bombard" should be mad by designers OFF by default. This would (possibly? bombardments more cautious and less bloody. Full scale bombardment, with risk for the ships, should be only AN OPTION.

The turning escorts off toggle was added because the unarmoured escorts were getting slaughtered without player ability to control. This is a sure sign that the designers felt the guns were overpowered and a toggle can fix it. Works to some degree with bombardment TFs but what about invasion TFs? Because they failed to differentiate between CD guns and regular field guns/howitzers/mortars and they failed to model landing craft from AKA/APAs, (by either giving these auxilliaries landing craft like CVs have airgroups or having a load/offload factor vulnerable to enemy fire during the unload/load phase) the ships themselves are being pasted (with the same degree of effectiveness as CD guns).

Post #: 200
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 11:21:48 PM   
Mynok

quote:

This is a sure sign that the designers felt the guns were overpowered and a toggle can fix it.

Well, it could also be a sign that they thought the bombardment mission routines weren't acting properly and felt it was easier to add this toggle than try to correct the bombardment routines.

Post #: 201
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 11:24:41 PM   
Mynok

quote:

with the same degree of effectiveness as CD guns

2ndACR keeps saying over and over that you were hit *by* CD guns, not artillery.

One hundred CD guns firing 388 shots in a 12 hour period is NOT by any stretch of the imagination an extraneous number of shots.

Now how many of those shots hit ships is another question and that is where the real problem is, IMO.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 202
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/20/2006 11:49:51 PM   
Demosthenes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

- Ok ok I know there are no stacking limits - of any kind - anywhere - nodda.... fine, point taken.
However, I don't know of any historical example of multiple CD units in the same area (not just 60 miles - but at the same point to cover the same beach/channel) that ever allowed anyone in WWII to put 100 or more guns simultaneously on the same target (ship).

That entire deal seems totally unrealistic to me....

B

Well, in the game that's certainly allowed - but 100 CD Guns able to site down on the same TF/same ship simultaneously seems unreal. I don't think anyone ever deployed arty that way in WWII.

The other question is how many shots were fired by the TF - back at the CD Guns, and most importantly - Ron seems right about them just sitting there taking it like dummies, when in a surface action they would break off much earlier..

D

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 203
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/21/2006 2:30:47 AM   
Iridium

I find this whole arguement stemming from the hex map and it's inherent faults. I guess one could argue for a percentage of CD guns to be effective on any given TF but there would always be some dissenters as to how many should really be effective.

On the other hand, you could just say that these gun regiments actually set up enough guns so that, no matter the location in the 60 mile hex, the same number of those guns will be able to target a TF. Of course it isn't true, but meh...it's how it works in game.

Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.

"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture

(in reply to Demosthenes)
Post #: 204
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/21/2006 3:05:21 AM   
Demosthenes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iridium

I find this whole arguement stemming from the hex map and it's inherent faults. I guess one could argue for a percentage of CD guns to be effective on any given TF but there would always be some dissenters as to how many should really be effective.

On the other hand, you could just say that these gun regiments actually set up enough guns so that, no matter the location in the 60 mile hex, the same number of those guns will be able to target a TF. Of course it isn't true, but meh...it's how it works in game.

True enough, it's the way the system works and we are stuck with it....almost -
Quick solution: get out your editor, gut CD Gun units by reducing the number available in the game, and reduce the number of guns to a single battery - problem solved.

Demosthenes

(in reply to Iridium)
Post #: 205
New Thread - 2/21/2006 3:54:24 PM   
el cid again

I have started a t hread on CD units on the game design board.
This is specifically in response to Ron's complaints.

On reflection, I realize that my device review has corrected any issue with howitzers or mortars (or rockets) having too much penetration. So regular Army units won't be as effective - even if they hit - against an armored ship.

But you have also convinced me that the real relative advantages of major CD units are missing. And already in play (vs AI) I noticed that major CD units don't stand up to battleships (or land attack) very well at all. So I am asking for ideas - and suggesting a couple - to address this issue.

Post #: 206
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/21/2006 4:02:11 PM   
el cid again

quote:

True enough, it's the way the system works and we are stuck with it....almost -
Quick solution: get out your editor, gut CD Gun units by reducing the number available in the game, and reduce the number of guns to a single battery - problem solved.

Boy are you out of sync with what we are doing in CHS and in RHS! We just went to a bit of effort to ADD MISSING guns to CD units! And it was also popular when proposed (about three or four months ago). Both sides got hurt in the OBs on this subject.

The theory (game theory) of CD units is not very far from real life: coasts are vast - but points that matter are relatively few and predictable.
You don't care if they are a long way from the harbor entrance - it is the river mouth or harbor entrance - and nearby beaches - you defend. The actual location of things inside a hex is semi-abstract - but if you take the "normal" statistical case for a coastal hex, half of it will be land. And the port or river mouth will be in the center. [This same theory applies to minefields by the way. They are not really laid in equal density over the entire 2,827 square miles of the hex! They defend the approaches or narrows you expect ships to be in.] Anyway, the fraction of the hex out of CD range which is possible to be in is not as great as you might think, and any force in that fraction is not really challenging the harbor defenses. I have no theory problem with "they closed and they got shot at" - because if you were NOT attacking the base you would also NOT be engaged by units there!

Post #: 207
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/21/2006 4:03:31 PM   
el cid again

quote:

Ok ok I know there are no stacking limits - of any kind - anywhere - nodda.... fine, point taken.

Actually, there is one tinsy winsy stacking limit - but it only applies to atols!

Post #: 208
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/21/2006 4:10:53 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

The turning escorts off toggle was added because the unarmoured escorts were getting slaughtered without player ability to control. This is a sure sign that the designers felt the guns were overpowered and a toggle can fix it.

Incorrect. Feature was added because historically heavier bombardment forces could stand off from shore at a safer distance and bombard vs. closing the shore where the escorts might get pummeled by the lighter/medium guns. Allows escorts to not particpate (and risk themselves) in the bomardment while still protecting their larger charges from threats at sea. (PT's, enemy warships etc)

Post #: 209
RE: Coastal Defense Guns - 2/21/2006 4:13:17 PM   
el cid again

quote:

I mean long barelled and high-powered - and not of army field type. You told me about US 155mm field gun acted as CD gun, but really its first time I've heard that relatively short barelled field gun acted as CD) are coast defence guns, and their mission is to fight ships.

Monter - you went too far the other way. While we have said that CD guns are often either ex-naval guns OR ex army field guns - that does NOT mean "short barroled." The French 155s are LONG guns - not howitzers. In general, an army field GUN is a long barroled thing, and a howitzer is not. [Technically a howitzer is anything that can super-elevate - and it CAN be long - but some armies use the term "gun-howitzer" to tell you when the long gun can elevate. Elevation above 45 degrees is used to fire over hills, usually. It gives you no more range - unless it is exotic and leaves the atmosphere- it just gives you plunging fire that is not easily blocked by vertical heights.] Anyway, when an army gun is used for CD, it usually is high performance. The US M1919 gun is HIGHER in performance than the US naval 16 inch gun of the same period - in fact it is so high in performance it is not really known what the range is? An experimental shot was LOST to observation - over the horizon from ALL observers - and basically useless for trying to hit anything! But after the Washington Treaty, the Army mostly mounted NAVAL guns on the M1919 mounting, and for all practical purposes they were the same. But technically the true army guns were higher performing - I know of 2 at Panama, 2 at Oahu, and 2 at San Francisco - there may have been others but not many and probably not in the Pacific.
The point is, when guns are EITHER designed OR adapted, they tend to be high performance guns, or intended for plunging fire (e.g. 12 inch mortars).

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Coastal Defense Guns Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI