Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/18/2006 5:26:01 PM   
lwp1200

Hi All, Larry here. This is my first post. I currently live in Fresno and have been playing the older Steel Panthers: Modern Battles. Imagine my delight at finding the much better develloped version online! Thanks Matrix!

The game runs well on my machine except for one small glitch. Approx 5 minutes into the game or the first time a unit pops smoke the colors change, the roads will turn light blue and the smoke turns a mix of blues and greens....and a bunch of other color changes too. It helps if I clear the smoke but the roads stay the same color. I'd like to make this not happen anymore. Any suggestions? I am no computer supergenius.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 181
McHenry IL - 1/18/2006 9:09:28 PM   
pbirmingham

Hi, folks! I'm a long time gamer -- my first wargame was Avalon Hill's Submarine! back when I was around twelve. Played a lot through college, then kinda dropped out of the hobby, first for roleplaying games, then for other types of computer games (flight sims, first-person shooters.)

Anyway, now that I have two kids and a long train commute to work, I've really gotten into computer wargaming, because nothing makes a long train ride pass quickly like assaulting German 105s at Brecourt Manor. It's like coming home, really -- sometimes I swear I can see the little 8-3-8 counters for the Fallschirmjäger who are guarding the guns. (It was a great pleasure to see the Squad Leader scenarios that have been adapted to SP:WAW.)

< Message edited by pbirmingham -- 1/18/2006 9:30:42 PM >

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 182
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/20/2006 4:37:34 AM   
IBTyrone

Hi Larry!

Welcome to the forums!

quote:

ORIGINAL: lwp1200

Hi All, Larry here. This is my first post. I currently live in Fresno and have been playing the older Steel Panthers: Modern Battles. Imagine my delight at finding the much better develloped version online! Thanks Matrix!

SPWAW is a very nice game, guaranteed to hold your interest for many hours. I'm still waiting to get bored with it. Burned out from playing too much, yes, but burned out, no.

quote:

ORIGINAL: lwp1200
The game runs well on my machine except for one small glitch. Approx 5 minutes into the game or the first time a unit pops smoke the colors change, the roads will turn light blue and the smoke turns a mix of blues and greens....and a bunch of other color changes too. It helps if I clear the smoke but the roads stay the same color. I'd like to make this not happen anymore. Any suggestions? I am no computer supergenius.

I used to have this problem once in awhile, but I think the only way I could fix it was to reboot the machine. However, graphics card issues are a fairly common problem with this version of the game. Check the vendor for your graphics card and make sure you have the latest drivers installed on your machine. BTW, you might want to think about posting your problem to the general discussion area. You'll get a better response, most likely.

Hope you get it fixed.

(in reply to lwp1200)
Post #: 183
RE: McHenry IL - 1/20/2006 4:41:21 AM   
IBTyrone

Welcome to the forums, pbirmingham!

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbirmingham
Hi, folks! I'm a long time gamer -- my first wargame was Avalon Hill's Submarine! back when I was around twelve. Played a lot through college, then kinda dropped out of the hobby, first for roleplaying games, then for other types of computer games (flight sims, first-person shooters.)

It's kind of funny how real life changes your priorities, eh?

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbirmingham
Anyway, now that I have two kids and a long train commute to work, I've really gotten into computer wargaming, because nothing makes a long train ride pass quickly like assaulting German 105s at Brecourt Manor. It's like coming home, really -- sometimes I swear I can see the little 8-3-8 counters for the Fallschirmjäger who are guarding the guns. (It was a great pleasure to see the Squad Leader scenarios that have been adapted to SP:WAW.)

I find that it works with my family schedule pretty well. I can usually get a turn or two in before I go to bed and after the kids are in bed. Playing on a train would be great! I'm a jealous man.

(in reply to pbirmingham)
Post #: 184
New guy checking in! - 1/21/2006 6:27:15 PM   
Einar Fridgeirs

Hello, new member here. My name is Einar Árni Friđgeirsson and I´m from Iceland. I´m 27 and currently enrolled at a University(dropped out of school for several years).

I played some version or other of SP around 2000, and although I though the game was extremely cool I never really "got it" in the sense that I was able to plan and anticipate, only react.

I downloaded SPWaW on a whim and followed a link to here. I registered yesterday and already I´ve learned a TON of "a-ha" thing I hadn´t though about.

I want to learn to play the game "properly", that is with C&C on, so expect a TON of threads here in the training center from me!!!

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 185
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/21/2006 7:00:01 PM   
Korpraali V

Velkomin!

(in reply to Einar Fridgeirs)
Post #: 186
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/21/2006 8:00:21 PM   
Goblin

Welcome aboard, Einar!

Goblin

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 187
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/21/2006 9:18:19 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Einar Fridgeirs

Hello, new member here. My name is Einar Árni Friđgeirsson and I´m from Iceland. I´m 27 and currently enrolled at a University(dropped out of school for several years).

I played some version or other of SP around 2000, and although I though the game was extremely cool I never really "got it" in the sense that I was able to plan and anticipate, only react.

I downloaded SPWaW on a whim and followed a link to here. I registered yesterday and already I´ve learned a TON of "a-ha" thing I hadn´t though about.

I want to learn to play the game "properly", that is with C&C on, so expect a TON of threads here in the training center from me!!!

Hi Einar and welcome back to the game!

I think you'll find Matrix has done a fine job updating the code and providing a quality platform for gaming WW2 at the tactical level. Their addition of the MegaCampaigns might be something you'll want to look into. As far as learning the game "properly" in a positive environment, you might want to consider enrolling in The Academy over at the Depot (http://www.spwaw.com). They have a whole program with instructors set up for learning the ins and outs of the game.

Again--Welcome!

Post #: 188
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/23/2006 5:17:51 AM   
Einar Fridgeirs

quote:

Velkomin!

hey, talar ţú íslensku? Gaman ađ vera bođinn velkominn á sínu móđurmáli!

Post #: 189
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/23/2006 3:07:04 PM   
Puukkoo

Isländskan! Jag kunde försöka det med min dĺlig svensk.

I almost understand Icelandish!

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

Post #: 190
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/23/2006 5:45:19 PM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: Einar Fridgeirs

hey, talar ţú íslensku? Gaman ađ vera bođinn velkominn á sínu móđurmáli!

No, I don't, sorry . A friend of mine was an exchange student in Reykjavik one year ago and she fell in love with your country.

And of course reading six years Swedish at school helps .

And my wife is interested of Old Norse and Sagas (Heimskringla).

So I know something too, just have to know something

Post #: 191
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/23/2006 6:16:15 PM   
Einar Fridgeirs

Thanks, I´ll keep my barbaric speech to a minimum

Still good to be here.....Figuring Steel Panthers out on your own is not easy. Having access to veteran players is a godsend.

Post #: 192
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/23/2006 9:00:41 PM   
Puukkoo

The Barbarian in you will help you to solve the secrets of the game. At least it knows how to hack them into pieces.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

Post #: 193
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/24/2006 12:16:12 AM   
Gunter_Viezenz

I'am a Polish born Canadian. I live in southern Ontario about 15 minutes away from Detroit. I'm familiar to the game because I have played it before but now I have reinstalled it and decided to join this forums for help. I'm a fan of WWII based games such as Call of Duty, Day of Defeat, the Close Combat serieres etc. This is what brought me to this game through the suggestion of my brother. I have enjoyed the game except some of the sounds annoy me.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 194
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/24/2006 3:55:58 AM   
Einar Fridgeirs

Welcome Gunther, I hope we can learn this monster of a simulation(I am actually hesitannt to call it a game ) together.

(in reply to Gunter_Viezenz)
Post #: 195
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/24/2006 7:10:16 AM   
chief

Gunter: there are modified sounds for SPwaw available somewhere in this forum and at www.spwaw.com

"SPwaw Depot", check out the forums there also. You'll find lots of goodies at both sites. Gott Luck.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

Post #: 196
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/24/2006 10:19:08 PM   
Gunter_Viezenz

I beleive I forgot to mention Iam computer blind. Meaning I hav no clue how the computer works. This would explain why I have trouble searching the SPwaw Depot.

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 197
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/25/2006 12:30:33 AM   
Einar Fridgeirs

If you have little computer experience, good luck finding your way around SP......I´m fairly computer literate but this game is COMPLEX!!! And there are all kinds of little bits of switchable stuff tucked inside menus, and obscure keyboard commands that only the veterans know about.....

(in reply to Gunter_Viezenz)
Post #: 198
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/25/2006 1:00:06 AM   
Goblin

There's one that makes your computer print money, but we're not gonna tell...

Goblin

Post #: 199
RE: New guy checking in! - 1/25/2006 11:15:11 PM   
Gunter_Viezenz

I can actually make my way around SP since I have played 8.4 like a while back but I recently had the game reinstalled and I frankly dont like the bayge colour of the menu I miss the grey metalic. (Running 8.403 but I have V8.3 menu)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 200
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/29/2006 5:53:25 AM   
traderstan

hi all, my name's stan, a forex trader in singapore. served slightly over 2 years as a combat engineer in an armored battalion. played america's army, command and conquer series and warcraft. DnD for the plain old PencilnPaper RPG. still trying to figure how SPWAW works.

(in reply to lwp1200)
Post #: 201
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/29/2006 6:30:45 AM   
Korpraali V

As we all...

Welcome aboard!

(in reply to traderstan)
Post #: 202
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/29/2006 7:34:02 AM   
Goblin

Welcome aboard Stan!

Goblin

Post #: 203
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 1/29/2006 8:12:12 AM   
m10bob

quote:

There's one that makes your computer print money, but we're not gonna tell...

Goblin, you were not supposed to tell.......

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 204
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 2/1/2006 8:10:31 PM   
Cyanide

Hello, everyone. I'm new here (as you can see from my post count) and I'm just getting into wargaming. I'm eating everything I can up about it; hell, I'm even buying a copy of the original Squad Leader board game!

So yeah, as a newbie, I have a couple questions.

1. How do you install campaigns? I'm pretty psyched about the Das Reich campaign I've heard so much about, but I don't know where to unzip the files.

2. How long do PBEM games usually take? I'm one of those guys who likes to be done with a game (board or computer) in a couple days.

(in reply to lwp1200)
Post #: 205
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 2/1/2006 8:15:48 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cyanide

Hello, everyone. I'm new here (as you can see from my post count) and I'm just getting into wargaming. I'm eating everything I can up about it; hell, I'm even buying a copy of the original Squad Leader board game!

1. How do you install campaigns? I'm pretty psyched about the Das Reich campaign I've heard so much about, but I don't know where to unzip the files.

2. How long do PBEM games usually take? I'm one of those guys who likes to be done with a game (board or computer) in a couple days.

Sorry, but with a forum name like that, I'll have to decline the invitation for dinner at your place.

(in reply to Cyanide)
Post #: 206
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 2/1/2006 8:28:12 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

Hi Cyanide and welcome to the forums!

In my experience, Steel Panthers WAW is the pinnacle of wargaming, but I've always been known to be limited in my perspective. I *do* think you will like it.

To answer your questions--You unzip user created campaigns to the CAMPAIGN directory found in the SPWAW directory. There's already a bunch of campaigns in there that come with the game, but as long as the campaign number you are installing does not interfere with one of the current campaigns, you should be good to go when you go into the game and select the campaigns option after you install it.

To answer your second question--it depends. To clarify, it can depend on the size of the scenario, number of units, and the person you are playing with. Unless you and your opponent are willing to put a lot of time into it, I don't think you will finish in a couple days. You might want to consider trying the playing online option. There are some guys under the "Opponents wanted" section that play regularly. You can talk to them about getting a game set up.

The other thing you might want to consider since you are still learning the ropes to the game is enrolling in The Academy over at The Depot (http://www.spwaw.com). It is a good way to get a handle on the basics of the game with the help of the instructors and a great place to get your questions answered.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to Cyanide)
Post #: 207
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 2/1/2006 9:26:29 PM   
JEB Davis

quote:

<<<< snip >>>>>

... and I'm one of those guys that agonizes over each turn, I have no hope of finishing a scenario in 1-2 days (especially when you add in that pesky R/L factor).

I had some finagling to do to get SPWaW running on XP with an apparently strange video card, similar to what you saw.

Welcome, you'll like Das Reich when things are in order.

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Cyanide)
Post #: 208
Hello to all strategic gamers - 2/23/2006 9:12:28 AM   
jaffa

Gladly, in found out that the genius SteelPathers ist still alive!!!

I´m student, live in germany near Stuttgart and I´m 26. As I always do, I will not telll my real name in forums, hope u don´t mind....

My strategy-game career is quite long now.
The legendary PanzerGeneral was my introduction to round-based WWII games.
I infected my father too at the age of 15 (allthough he nowadays only plays diabloII), he was a crack, so i had to find a new game. I found StP in a SSI gamepack, which i bought because of Alliedgeneral, which wasnt played at all when i tried StP!!

games i also enjoyed were: Suddenstrike, Z (really fast but genius) and Tabletopstuff (Axis&allies first, then Civilisation, Diplomacy(!!!)and ohter AH-stuff i could get in Ger).
I gave my diplomacygame to a Punk and never got it back :(, Furthermore its not sold in Germany,the Netherland and/or Austria,Switzerland :(.
Dipl. is the best game i´ve ever played!!!

Jaffa is my inet-nick, although i use Mabik sometimes.

Last but not least, I enjoy playing StP w/ Seng, who will introduce himself soon, we just played our first 5 scen. to get back into the way of playing StP. We battled us for over 8h through the night ´til 7o´clock in the morning.(thx for the inet-option^^).

THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT STPWAW, we will enjoy it!!!!

< Message edited by jaffa -- 2/23/2006 9:23:46 AM >

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 209
RE: Hello to all strategic gamers - 2/23/2006 4:02:56 PM   
VikingNo2

Hi, welcome aboard, if you want to do some PBEM let me know. Love this game

(in reply to jaffa)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI