Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How too surrender?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How too surrender? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How too surrender? - 2/28/2006 1:49:46 AM   
chris23

How does one surrender if af battle is not going well?
Post #: 1
RE: How too surrender? - 2/28/2006 1:59:59 AM   
FlashfyreSP

F9 key is for surrendering.

(in reply to chris23)
Post #: 2
RE: How too surrender? - 2/28/2006 2:23:24 AM   
KG Erwin

You also must raise both hands and say "I geeve up" in a bad French accent. (Sorry --bad joke. Can't help it sometimes.)

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 3
RE: How too surrender? - 2/28/2006 4:23:18 AM   
chris23

Yep. thanx

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 4
RE: How too surrender? - 2/28/2006 5:32:27 AM   
azraelck

The French automatically surrender before battle actually starts (in the same 'turn' that pre-plotted arty falls).

(in reply to chris23)
Post #: 5
RE: How too surrender? - 2/28/2006 12:18:44 PM   
Puukkoo

You guys are begging troubles.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 6
RE: How too surrender? - 2/28/2006 11:46:35 PM   
chris23

Ha ha that always happens when I play as them, that just shows how realistic this game is:)

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 7
RE: How too surrender? - 3/1/2006 11:37:15 AM   
Puukkoo

I have not played French for a long time, but I will definitely not surrender! Perhaps I should continue my Dien Bien Phu campaign.

(in reply to chris23)
Post #: 8
RE: How too surrender? - 3/2/2006 1:32:34 AM   
chris23

Just a joke

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 9
RE: How too surrender? - 3/2/2006 2:22:54 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puukkoo

I have not played French for a long time, but I will definitely not surrender! Perhaps I should continue my Dien Bien Phu campaign.

C'mon, Puukkoo, the kind of humor you encounter at wargaming forums isn't politically correct, but it isn't mean-spirited either.

I have a lot of respect for the French military tradition, which inspired some great leadership and several valuable works of military science. Some of these works became required reading at West Point.

(Personal note: this is why forum posting is such a tricky thing. The lack of tone of voice and facial expressions make it a poor substitute for person-to-person conversation, and that's why so many written thoughts get taken the wrong way. That's especially true of a person like me, who relies heavily on body language and tone to get my points across. In the written form, the true intent is often lost.)

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 10
RE: How too surrender? - 3/2/2006 2:34:39 AM   
Alby

YOu guys are gonna like the New French OOB that is coming out in the SPWAW Mod.
Well, if you ever use the french that is...
Flashfyre has busted his butt on this baby!
I hope they dont surrender!

< Message edited by Alby -- 3/2/2006 2:35:11 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: How too surrender? - 3/2/2006 5:30:27 AM   
azraelck

In all seriousness, I was watching the Military channel; and In 1939 the French Army often retreated without ever seeing an enemy or firing a shot. They were beaten before they even fought a battle. I think that's the reason why the French have such a sterling reputation on the field amongst the general population.

Of course, they were beat before the Germans even made their intentions known of invading France. Neither France nor Britain wanted a second World War, and when it came; not only the French Army but the entire nation collapsed. It was also mentioned that they had a "1918 army" compared to the modern German one.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 12
RE: How too surrender? - 3/2/2006 5:38:24 AM   
junk2drive

azraelck, You need to go to the axishistory.com forums and read David Leamann's posts on the French and their battles.
There were no real battles in 1939 in France. In May June 1940 the French with the British were defeated by surprise and poor leadership, not the ability or courage of the soldiers.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 13
RE: How too surrender? - 3/2/2006 5:59:39 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

azraelck, You need to go to the axishistory.com forums and read David Leamann's posts on the French and their battles.
There were no real battles in 1939 in France. In May June 1940 the French with the British were defeated by surprise and poor leadership, not the ability or courage of the soldiers.

To see that it is good to read what happened in France after the Dunkerque and before France surrendered. Germans had real troubles to continue their advance because French defenders were more motivated then.

And some years later around the Monte Cassino...

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 14
RE: How too surrender? - 3/2/2006 6:48:13 AM   
azraelck

What I was referring to was prior to Dunkirk. And I'm more likely to believe the Military Channel than some forums poster. You were right that there was no real battles. The French broke before even hearing the German Panzers approach. The battles that were fought showed no lack of courage, but a decided lack of communications and cohesiveness. Add in a spread out force and they were simply overwhelmed by the more concentrated and better coordinated Germans. It wasn't even an issue of force size, and even the strength of their tanks, as the French had a larger force, and their tanks were superior. It also really wasn't an issue of courage, but morale. They did not want another war, and were not mentally prepared for a dedicated assault. Finally, they were taken by suprise by the Germans going through the Ardennes, rather than the routes that would be more favorable to a mechanized army.

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 15
RE: How too surrender? - 3/2/2006 8:35:48 AM   
jaffa

quote:

ORIGINAL: azraelck

Finally, they were taken by suprise by the Germans going through the Ardennes, rather than the routes that would be more favorable to a mechanized army.

I don´t believe that French Forces were too surprised, as Germany tried this way to Paris in WWI, althogh the "mechanical" argument mentioned is surely a point. But anyway, even that should have been part of French strrategic thoughts if their Leadingstaff wasn´t too out-of-this-world.

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 16
RE: How too surrender? - 3/2/2006 10:20:28 AM   
Puukkoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

C'mon, Puukkoo, the kind of humor you encounter at wargaming forums isn't politically correct, but it isn't mean-spirited either.

I have a lot of respect for the French military tradition, which inspired some great leadership and several valuable works of military science. Some of these works became required reading at West Point.

Nah, I was actually only interested in 'how to buy Westland Lysander from French OOB?'.

quote:

(Personal note: this is why forum posting is such a tricky thing. The lack of tone of voice and facial expressions make it a poor substitute for person-to-person conversation, and that's why so many written thoughts get taken the wrong way. That's especially true of a person like me, who relies heavily on body language and tone to get my points across. In the written form, the true intent is often lost.)

We do have the facial expression symbols here, they are called 'smileys' and they look exactly like Alby.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
RE: How too surrender? - 3/3/2006 10:32:18 PM   
264rifle

Azraelck. May I suggest that you read some of David Leamann's posts. and then decide. He has posted some great stuff on the depot.

In a book called "Dirty Little Secrets of World War II" by James Dunnigan and Albert Nofi which is full of various factoids about WWII. There is a comparison of the the 1940 campaign and the first six weeks ot the Russian campaign in 1941.

In France the Germans had 122 divisions and suffered 155,000 combat losses (dead, prisioners and missing) The allies had 140 divisions and suffered over 1/2 million combat losses. In Russia the Germans had 134 divisions and suffered 213,000 combat losses but inflicted almost 1 million losses on the Russians. By the end of the year the Russians had lost over 4million men. Russia had four times the population of France and was lot bigger with more room to retreat to.

Did the the Germans win in France? of course, but not because the French troops all ran away. You don't loose 155,000 men chasing a panicked, retreating enemy unless your men are incredible clumsy and your tanks and trucks run over your own men.

The French were totally out maneuvered due to WWI communications and a lack of air reconnaisance. The time to find the enemy tank division IS NOT when it has driven over your supply dump and and blocked the bridge over the river 15 km behind you.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 18
RE: How too surrender? - 3/3/2006 11:01:48 PM   
Alby

quote:

We do have the facial expression symbols here, they are called 'smileys' and they look exactly like Alby.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 19
RE: How too surrender? - 3/4/2006 2:13:16 AM   
PimpYourAFV

I am playing the regular WW2 campaign as the french and they are doing quite well despite a 7:1 advantage in numbers for the germans.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 20
RE: How too surrender? - 3/4/2006 2:34:54 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

quote:

No, Alby is a rock god. Check it out:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 21
RE: How too surrender? - 3/4/2006 4:34:22 AM   
Goblin

quote:

LMAO!!!!

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 22
RE: How too surrender? - 3/4/2006 8:40:00 AM   
Alby

oh good god!!
not the shirt!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 23
RE: How too surrender? - 3/5/2006 11:22:38 PM   
m10bob

Looks like an early Clapton, but playing a bass?..Is that the club across from the courthouse?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How too surrender? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI