Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hello to all strategic gamers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: Hello to all strategic gamers Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hello to all strategic gamers - 2/23/2006 4:55:34 PM   
Goblin

Welcome jaffa (and Cyanide; missed you somehow...). Glad to have you playing and posting!

Goblin

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 211
RE: Hello to all strategic gamers - 2/24/2006 7:07:58 PM   
JVega

I don't think I've introduced myself yet, sooo...

H'lo! I'm the JVega. I am an 18 years old Icelandic gamergal-type and wannabe history buff. I'm a lifelong newbie when it comes to Steel Panthers, as I can remember playing that when I was too young to realize that what I was playing was a deep wargame; rather than a bunch of objects that moved around, made noises and exploded to my amusement. The only change over the years is that I've learnt is this:

Steel Panthers is not for the kiddies, because they tend to kick my ass in it.

And that's pretty much it. I've gotten better at not being killed by the enemy, at the cost of being much better at killing my own guys with my artillery or one of my "foolproof" plans. As they say, no plan survives first contact. Well, neither do my men.

My playing style: I prefer playing against human opponents with a bit of 'roleplay' involved, if you can call it that. Agreeing on special victory conditions, making small PBEM 'campaigns', agree on that the one that holds a certain place on the map at the end wins (no matter the score)... stuff like that.

I prefer playing small scale stuff. 1000-2000 points, heavy on infantry and elites, with artillery and AFV purely as support. In fact, the two best games I've ever played were firstly a 800 point battle between Norwegian rebels and the Norwegian army (around a small town and the hills around it) and a 1500(ish?) battle between the SS and the Rangers for the contol of a small town and the road leading to it.

Anything above 3000 points means I lose by default. :P

Anyway, that's all. 'lo!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 212
RE: Hello to all strategic gamers - 2/25/2006 12:15:09 AM   
IBTyrone

Hey Jvega!

Welcome to the forums. I'm with ya on the small battles. They get too large and I either can't manage the complexity effectively or have no sense of loss when my troops get wasted, like, for example, when one of MY artillery barrages fall short in the midst of my infantry squads (I feel your pain there).

Again, welcome!

(in reply to JVega)
Post #: 213
RE: Hello to all strategic gamers - 2/25/2006 3:44:36 AM   
JVega

Exactly! I start my turn, and by the end of it, I find myself forgetting what I did first. Assign a huge missile barrage at the beginning of the turn.. then at the end of it, forget about it, and charge the enemy. Two turns later, my assault force has mysteriously dissapeared. Not my fault! :P

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 214
RE: Hello to all strategic gamers - 2/25/2006 5:22:10 PM   
IBTyrone

Here's a tip--avoid those 1.1 response times like the plague (planes are the worst, BTW). So far as I know, there are three ways to avoid doing this and it is easier for on-board artillery than off-board. The first, and most consistent way for both onboard and offboard artillery is to use preassigned targets. If you place them right, you can usually use any of your artillery (provided they are in contact) with at worst a .5 response time. The second way is to use a Forward Observer for plotting all your strikes. Depending on their experience, they usually have inherent good response times for on-board artillery. The third way, and least effective, is to use the A0 or the commanders of each unit to plot each strike for their section or battery.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to JVega)
Post #: 215
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/2/2006 6:08:03 PM   
Zardoz

Fine....my introduction:

I am from Germany, situated in the Ruhr region an - I assume - quite old for this forum, i. e. > 40. I play SPWAW for some years but mor ore less only against the AI. The core of my interest is the war in Europe.

Hm...married, 3 children and one son (10 years old) is also interested in SPWAW. However, I noticed that it is really complex ime to introduce him since many things I have not to think about...e.g. open fire at which distance with a German 7,5 PaK against a Sherman.. must be explained. So...I play he looks over my shoulder and I tell him why I do certain things and others not.

However, I understand now better how realistic SPWAW is *s*

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 216
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/2/2006 6:57:34 PM   
robot

Believe me your not to old never too old for spwaw im thinking. I will turn 75 this year and still love the game keeps my mind working so it doesnt go stale on me.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Zardoz)
Post #: 217
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/2/2006 7:14:13 PM   
IBTyrone

Hi Zardoz and welcome to the forums!

As robot pointed out, 40 is hardly too old in this game. Over at the SPWAW Depot, they have ages listed as part of their information whenever you post. I think the average age for the avid enthusiast of SPWAW based on the Depot info is between 30-40 so you fit right in the sweet spot. However, all ages contribute, so age really doesn't matter!

Again, welcome and I hope to see you around.

(in reply to Zardoz)
Post #: 218
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/2/2006 7:19:49 PM   
Deputy

40!!!! Wish I was that YOUNG again!!!!

I am 56 and there are other guys even more senior than me. SPWAW definitely keeps the mind active.

Dep

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 219
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/2/2006 8:04:11 PM   
jaffa

Seems that I´m fresh meat....w/ my 24 ages...but i already played SP when i was 16....

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 220
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 3/3/2006 9:53:32 AM   
Zardoz

lol

your comments helped me much with my midlife crisis ;-)

"No other troops in the world but German paratroops could have stood up to such an ordeal and then gone on fighting with such ferocity" — Field Marshal Alexander.

(in reply to jaffa)
Post #: 221
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/2/2006 7:27:36 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Hello everyone. Been a wargamer since 78. Been wargaming witp since release and still playing it(big interest in pacific theater). Wanted a good wargame between witp turns. Think I found it. Was playing combat mission but it lacked something - not sure what.

Retire Army(regular)(inf) 23 years.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 222
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/7/2006 1:39:06 AM   
Baterja_6

Hello all, I just joined this evening. I played Steel Panthers many years ago, and I thought it would be dead and gone. I am quite glad to see this isn't the case.

Anyhow I'm 30, and just moved from Ontario Canada to Florida.

I also play IL2 Sturmovik, and create "skins" for custom aircraft paint schemes.

I am glad to see there is a community for this game.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 223
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/7/2006 3:47:32 PM   
IBTyrone

Welcome both Titanwarrior and Baterja!

If you guys have any questions, just post them to the forums.

SPWAW is a great game, well worth playing, but can be a black hole when it comes to time.

(in reply to Baterja_6)
Post #: 224
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/16/2006 3:54:48 PM   
Gunter_Viezenz

After a coupel of months off os SPWaW, I ahve decided to go back to the game and this forums, plus the mgecampaigns my brother got me are good too.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 225
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/17/2006 10:48:17 PM   
IBTyrone

I wondered where you wandered off to, Gunter!

Welcome back and let us know if you have any questions!

(in reply to Gunter_Viezenz)
Post #: 226
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/18/2006 1:48:51 AM   
Gunter_Viezenz

Ya in the megacampigns are all my tanks supposed to die? Cause the Brits have about 2 left and I ahve 2 that are bearl wroking and 5 immobilzed behidnt eh front lines. This is the 3rd battle int eh desert megacampaing. And their Matilda II is owning my weak forces.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 227
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/18/2006 3:12:03 AM   
IBTyrone

Sorry to hear about your tanks, Gunter. I've only played the Italians against the Brits in the desert in the long campaign, and the Brit Matildas own just about anything the Italians can muster. Too often my para libici squads have to use gas bombs to slow them matildas down.

Post #: 228
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/18/2006 8:06:34 AM   
Korpraali V

Welcome Baterja and Titanwarrior!

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 229
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/19/2006 1:03:42 AM   
Gunter_Viezenz

Well my Spec Ops toolk out their matilda and I made it out.

Luckily 1 tank had its gun repaired and we were able to take back the lost hexes.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 230
RE: Fossiili introducing himself and his problems ... - 4/19/2006 10:09:01 PM   
IBTyrone

I hate Matildas. Your Spec Ops boys should be commended. Sounds like you earned that win, Gunter!

Post #: 231
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 5/7/2006 8:49:04 PM   
longoodfriday

Hi all,

Having recently discovered this site I would like to take the opportunity to say hi to all SPWAW players and especially the design team.

I've been playing for years but have never tried PBE-mail or via internet againsy human foes! and am determined to put this right (tired of beating the A1!). However, am I right in thinking that most players play 'Limited ammo' on? I must admit I don't and would find this a challenge (any tips?). Also, I play with Command and Control off, again contrary to what most seem to? (does this affect game play/enjoyment generally?)
Lastly, having recently downloaded version 8 and tenatively having a go at it, I've noticed that there is a greater emphasis on smaller maps and Coy level batttles? I must admit I prefer larger maps and combined-arms battles!!

regards

Grey

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 232
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 5/8/2006 1:56:51 AM   
Gunter_Viezenz

Welcome longoodfriday.

Yes I assume most player have limited ammo on, will I do anyhow. I think you shoudl try palying with it on, if you run out of ammo (which rarely happens unless one of those 13+spgs and really long battles) you can just part an ammo truck next to the unit that runs out of ammo and it should be filled with ammo within 2 turns.
I also play with command control off I find it much harder with it on, but I am told that with it on the units give better support to each other.

(in reply to longoodfriday)
Post #: 233
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 5/8/2006 9:00:19 PM   
longoodfriday

Hi Gunter,

thanks for the reply. I am giving it a shot at 'limited ammo' and it's quite easy to live with.... except I really do miss the unrestricted salvoes of Wrfger 15cm rockets decimating the opposition's defences like nothing else can! I guess that's why I've been beating the A1 all these years! Recce, rocket & roll-over

regards

Grey

Post #: 234
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 5/12/2006 8:07:27 PM   
klaymen

Hi I'm new here. I'm 20 years old(young?) Slovak WW2 fanatic. I have played SP 2 and 3, but only for some weeks, because I had no living opponent (no one wanted to play something "ugly" and difficult like SP). So I have downloaded SPWAW and I hope I'll find some new friends/foes (SP only).

And I have a question: where I shall write my suggestions about SP? Because I have some ideas around nationalities/units

< Message edited by klaymen -- 5/12/2006 8:13:55 PM >

(in reply to longoodfriday)
Post #: 235
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 5/12/2006 10:13:48 PM   
Gunter_Viezenz

Welcome klayman, I hope you enjoy your stay here.

(in reply to klaymen)
Post #: 236
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 6/10/2006 10:26:55 AM   
Jags

Hello people. I'm from Greece and I'm 32 years old. I am an active wargamer for many years, tabletop and PC. After 7 months in World of Warcraft, I missed the old, good turn-based strategy games (Panzer General was my first one), so I just bought SPWaWGen (using my wife's credit card ). I really hope to enjoy my staying here.

< Message edited by Jags -- 6/10/2006 10:27:46 AM >

Post #: 237
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 6/10/2006 1:19:48 PM   
Korpraali V

Welcome Jags!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jags
(using my wife's credit card ).

I sure hope you'll live long enough to enjoy the game.

Also check out the Depot at www.spwaw.com

(in reply to Jags)
Post #: 238
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 6/10/2006 10:15:17 PM   
Ivan Zaitzev

Hello, Im new here.
I recognize some of you from the depot. How are you doing?

< Message edited by Ivan Zaitzev -- 6/10/2006 10:17:06 PM >

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 239
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 6/11/2006 8:37:49 AM   
Korpraali V

Welcome Ivan, klaymen and longoodfriday!

Ivan: Many of us are both here and at the Depot. Styles of the forums are little different, but the game is same. So what can you do...

Longoodfriday: Try the Opponents Wanted area to find an opponent. PBEM is definately a worth of trying. Also you may want to check the Depot at www.spwaw.com It has an Academy to improve your skills first against AI, then in PBEM.

Klaymen: Here you'll find many living opponents for you. Latest Matrix update to SPWAW is the 8.403 patch, which you may want to look at first. Not sure if there'll be any more official patches, since SP is now free.

But another, IMHO most preferred, version has just been released: SPWAW Enhanced. It's not official Matrix release, but IMHO the best version so far. You'll find it at www.spwaw.com It's a Mod so you'll need either 8.3, 8.4 or 8.403 version to use it. With them comes the ModSwapper program that is required to install the Enhanced Mod. It has probably the best OOBs ever.

Another one to look at is definately the SPWW2, which is also still developed by the players.

(in reply to Ivan Zaitzev)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: Hello to all strategic gamers Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI