Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

France must be the host?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Limited Beta Feedback >> France must be the host? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
France must be the host? - 2/27/2006 7:49:47 AM   
Grand_Armee

Recently Garoco and I started a new TCP/IP game. This time I was playing France and he Britain(1792). He started out hosting until I realised 3 things:

a. My production changes had to be reset every turn...despite saving and restarting

b. Units I had placed in production were disappearing

c. about 1/2 of my movement orders were not carried out. These could even be as simple as removing a militia division from a container and placing it in a city within the same province.
Post #: 1
RE: France must be the host? - 3/16/2006 12:59:05 AM   
Husard

I had a similar effect during my tcp/ip fight. My Brother had Spain and i had France(acted also as Host). After the first turn the Spanish
1. didnt recieve an Report
2. his Economy,which took him 2 hours to adjust^^, was completely ruined.
3. the turns after that Spain still got no reports

(in reply to Grand_Armee)
Post #: 2
RE: France must be the host? - 3/16/2006 5:26:07 PM   
ericbabe

I'll try that particular configuration. We haven't seen this in our recent testing, but there are some things that are dependent upon player-order and host/client order.

(in reply to Husard)
Post #: 3
RE: France must be the host? - 3/16/2006 6:28:45 PM   
ericbabe

Thinking this over and poking through the code a bit more, I'm beginning to wonder if the problems you are experiencing aren't simply due to the Direct Play libraries dropping packets. We're using "confirmed UDP mode" -- which is not supposed to drop any packets -- but I have seen evidence in the debugger that this library can indeed drop packets and continue to run as if nothing wrong had happened. This would sufficiently explain why sometimes you get these problems, sometimes not, and why we are unable to duplicate them on our LAN and Internet testing.

We are looking into migrating from the Direct Play libraries to another set of TCP/IP libraries (Microsoft has deprecated the Direct Play libraries, another reason to migrate to new libraries.) I will give migration priority over other TCP/IP related issues and, if I can get a new TCP/IP library working, we can see if this solves problems like the ones you are describing.

Another thing we could do is that I could add my own packet-dropping detection routines to augment (or fix) the Microsoft library's UDP protocol. But I'd prefer to try migrating first.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Limited Beta Feedback >> France must be the host? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI