Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PC version?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: PC version? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PC version? - 5/6/2006 7:43:39 PM   
Punisher

Mark if your PC game is half as good as the Squad Battles games you will sell a $million games and be able to retire to Hawaii :)

(in reply to markhwalker)
Post #: 31
RE: PC version? - 5/6/2006 10:16:46 PM   
wodin

I have a strong feeling Marks will be even better.

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 32
RE: PC version? - 5/8/2006 1:33:08 PM   
markhwalker

quote:

$million games and be able to retire to Hawaii $million games and be able to retire to Hawaii

First off, I don't want to move to Hawaii. Virginia is just fine with me. You can't go to Lane Stadium if you move to Hawaii. Second off, even a tremendously sucessfull TB wargame will be lucky to sell 10,000 units. Third off, CLnL will be/is a great game, but I'd rather not talk in better than terms. There's room in the world for people to play both SB and CLnL. My game will have some what we hope are unique (most of which I can't discuss yet) features for a TB wargame. There are two campaigns (Soviet, German), each campaign branches, eqach tells a story, introduces characters and follows their lives through the battles. We have a unique (at least for wargaming) methos of telling the character's story, and as you move later into the campaign, wins, losses and troop conservation plays a big part. You'll be given core units for each mission, and then a number of points that may be used to purchase additional units.

The look is all LnL, but with a twist. For example, we've done away with turret counters for CLnL, there are actually rotating turrets on the tanks. Also we have seriously reduced the number of admin counters. For example, there are no Fire or Mover counters. After a unit fires it is marked with a Fire icon (looks like a miniature Fire marker right now).

Here's a shot from the early beta. A word... yep those are BoH Germans. This game will have new ones, but we are in beta. And yes, this is a game in progress, on my desktop, not a doctored screenie.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 33
RE: PC version? - 5/8/2006 5:35:05 PM   
Punisher

Wow Outstanding screen shot Mark! I can't wait to see more! Looks like the beta version is moving along very well. The rotating turrets sounds like a really nice visual feature. Since you have a characther story to follow will you be able to name your character and follow his story line or is it a fixed counter name?

Thank You for giving us a taste of what we can expect to see in coming months!

Post #: 34
RE: PC version? - 5/8/2006 7:59:32 PM   
markhwalker

I'm glad you liked the screen. I'll post more, including one from the Kalach River crossing, soon. The characters are named.

Johannes Wurtz: German Sergeant (at first)
Michael Brennand: German tank commander
Elena Petrova: Soviet partisan
Andropovich: Soviet Lieutenant

< Message edited by markhwalker -- 5/8/2006 8:01:55 PM >

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 35
RE: PC version? - 5/8/2006 8:04:02 PM   
benpark

YES! Soviets. Fantatstic news.

How will modding counters be handled? Are the in a format such as .bmp?

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

Post #: 36
RE: PC version? - 5/8/2006 9:21:17 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark
How will modding counters be handled? Are the in a format such as .bmp?

Don't worry, It is all pretty accessible

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 37
RE: PC version? - 5/8/2006 11:59:59 PM   
*Lava*

Wow!

That looks really nice!

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 38
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 12:18:26 AM   
ravinhood

So I can have a "Les the Sarge" leader counter???!! :))) I'm really hoping this is so mod friendly that I can import all my Squad Leader scenarios and counters into it. ;)))

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 39
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 12:35:39 AM   
lamadalton

As I have said in another post elswhere:
When LnL PC comes out I will buy it immediately, and forget about SPWAW

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 40
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 12:43:23 AM   
AlvinS

Can't wait to lay my hands on this one. Drool drool.....

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to lamadalton)
Post #: 41
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 9:34:49 AM   
Hentzau

Whoa, that looks awesome! One of few games that won't need modified counters. lol

Nicolas Eskubi is another artist in the Mark H. Walker league, maybe MatrixGames should check him out. Look at his Spanish Civil War counters http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38246 Unfortunately you have to register to look, but worth it.

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 42
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 11:05:18 AM   
markhwalker

quote:

Squad Leader scenarios and counters into it.

No, no. Squad Leader stuff would ruin this. :-)

Niko? Uh, Niko? His work on LnL ANZAC Attack is what originally got him noticied in the community. He drew the counters that you are looking at. But we also employ other artists. Marc did the map. Well, I drew the original, but Marc is the man that translates my rudimentary scribbling into the work of art you now see.

Best,

Mark

(in reply to Hentzau)
Post #: 43
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 11:14:39 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hentzau

Whoa, that looks awesome! One of few games that won't need modified counters. lol

Nicolas Eskubi is another artist in the Mark H. Walker league, maybe MatrixGames should check him out. Look at his Spanish Civil War counters http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38246 Unfortunately you have to register to look, but worth it.

Nicolas is allready mine . He worked on Lock'n Load Band of Heroes, he is working on the new title we develop together with Mark and he worked on "Panzer Command" too. Nico is very talented, whenever I have a job for him he surely gets a call ;)

(in reply to Hentzau)
Post #: 44
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 4:12:49 PM   
markhwalker

quote:

Nicolas is allready mine

Wow! I didn't know that. He's done art on seven of my published games, and is also working on two more that are yet to be published, and he's a Matrix employee? Gee, you guys ought to keep better track of your employees.

I'm sure this would also be news to MMP (where he's a salaried employee).

Post #: 45
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 4:37:57 PM   
junk2drive

I thought the SCW counters looked familiar.

You both are lucky to have him.

Post #: 46
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 4:54:42 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

quote:

Nicolas is allready mine

Wow! I didn't know that. He's done art on seven of my published games, and is also working on two more that are yet to be published, and he's a Matrix employee? Gee, you guys ought to keep better track of your employees.

Mine in the sense of "on my artists list". He is working freelance for Matrix, just like me and so many of our kind.

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 5/9/2006 4:55:01 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 6:50:08 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Are you saying we won't be able to mod the counters/maps at all?

Post #: 48
RE: PC version? - 5/9/2006 7:11:55 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

No

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 49
RE: PC version? - 5/10/2006 1:55:14 AM   
wodin

Wouldnt need to mod them anyway. No ones going to beat that.

Love the look. I cant wait for this.

Post #: 50
RE: PC version? - 5/10/2006 2:00:32 AM   
wodin

Campaign sounds good but will you be able yo make user mader scenarios?

Will there be scenarios aswell as a campaign.

Without these two my enthusiasm will wane coniderably.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 51
RE: PC version? - 5/10/2006 12:58:48 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

quote:

No

Lol, you are being very vague and I mean VERY vague on how moddable this pc version is going to be Marc. Now, cmon give us the spoof, what all are we going to be able to edit/mod/change once we get our grubby hands on it? ;)

Post #: 52
RE: PC version? - 5/10/2006 5:20:19 PM   
jeffthewookiee

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I think a few people would by a PC version of the Vietnam games.

I know I would. Sometimes you just need something a little different from Tigers, Panthers, and WW2. This would be just the thing.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 53
RE: PC version? - 5/11/2006 4:21:25 AM   
JimMerson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

quote:

No

Lol, you are being very vague and I mean VERY vague on how moddable this pc version is going to be Marc. Now, cmon give us the spoof, what all are we going to be able to edit/mod/change once we get our grubby hands on it? ;)

Well... Your Grandmothers picture for one. (grin) Think way back.

Jim Merson

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 54
RE: PC version? - 5/11/2006 5:01:57 AM   
David Heath

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hentzau

Nicolas Eskubi is another great artist and you find his work in our up coming Panzer Command game and a few others coming in the near future.

David

(in reply to Hentzau)
Post #: 55
RE: PC version? - 5/11/2006 5:04:04 AM   
David Heath

quote:

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

quote:

Nicolas is allready mine

We do that to keep you all off balance.

David

Post #: 56
RE: PC version? - 5/12/2006 9:19:52 PM   
Punisher

Yes, I agree the Individual Scenarios is what had attracted me to the Squad Battle Series. It's really nice when you can boot up a single game and play a battle for a half hour and finish a game in one sitting. I really hope that feature will be implemented into LNL PC game.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 57
RE: PC version? - 5/12/2006 9:49:39 PM   
jeffthewookiee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punisher

Yes, I agree the Individual Scenarios is what had attracted me to the Squad Battle Series. It's really nice when you can boot up a single game and play a battle for a half hour and finish a game in one sitting. I really hope that feature will be implemented into LNL PC game.

I completely agree regarding playing a complete scenario in roundabouts a half hour. That's one of the big things that really got me into Play By Email; breaking down a multi hour process into small, digestable 30 minute blocks. Sadly, adult life doesn't often offer you hours in a row available to sit and recreate an entire campaign in some wonderful wargame.

I also really enjoy Memoir '44 for these same playability characteristics. No, it's not Advanced Squad Leader-level realism, but it captures the essence of combat and you can finish a game in an hour... with someone who isn't even necessarily a wargamer!

(in reply to Punisher)
Post #: 58
RE: PC version? - 5/15/2006 12:51:43 PM   
markhwalker

I'm not trying to be vague about the modding or anything, I just haven't been around for the last couple of days. Here's the scoop on that stuff: There is a very good chance that you'll be able to mod the game. Right now the counters are BMP files and their statistics are held in an Excel file. So, for example, I can currently import one of my Mog '93 counters plug in the correct stats, and play. That said, there may be a reason we need to lock that function. I can't think of one right now, but...

You will be able to create scenarios. You can easily create scenarios using the maps that ship with the game (looks like that number willl be 12, but that isn't hard data), and it is possible to create/code your own maps, but that is a bit of a pain.

Yes, there will be a small number stand alone scenarios and you'll also be able to replay any scenario that you have previously beat in the campaign.

Best,

Mark

(in reply to jeffthewookiee)
Post #: 59
RE: PC version? - 5/15/2006 4:11:27 PM   
markhwalker

A word or two...

1. Note the beautiful map by Marc S. and the new Soviets from Niko. Marc is a huge help in advising us and making maps. He will also have a huge hand in the interface.

2. Look at the tank turrets. There are no turret counters in CLnL, but rather the turrets actually spin.

3. Look at the shadowed Soviets in the building. Enemy units that are within your LOS, but not spotted are shadowed. Units that are not within LOS are simply not placed on the map.

4. Tom has implemented the tank routines. They work just like the boardgame. You shoot, you hit, you do an opposed die roll for penetration. Computer tracks whether you have hit the hull or turret. Hull hits, when you are behind walls are misses. The computer also tracks the non-penetrating rounds, and these may cause a crew to shake or even abandon the vehicle.

5. agree that the hex highlights seem excessive for a computer game. We are working on reducing the opacity.

< Message edited by markhwalker -- 5/15/2006 4:13:10 PM >

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: PC version? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI