Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 1:11:46 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

There were 3 new cities that received split votes (2 Yes, 2 No) and you kept them in. I suggest that that there be two variations on adding cities:

A - includes the 3 cities with split votes, and
B - excludes those 3 cities.

A gives the Chinese a stronger defensive position, while B is slightly weaker (though much stronger than in CWIF).

Well this is just a temporary map I believe.
I let the cities with splitted votes on the map just arbitrary, but hopefully there will be more than 4 votes later on, won't it ?

Anyway, I see what you are coming to. You would like 2 versions of the map. One with few cities added, one with more.

I belive we will be able to make those two maps. Ill just add a layer for the cities that are the lowest in the votes (but still more yes than no), and I'll hide / show that layer at will. But I will just wait to see if there are more opinions on the cities to add / not to add. The 4 of us is just too low.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 91
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 1:11:49 AM   
lomyrin

quote:

There were 3 new cities that received split votes (2 Yes, 2 No) and you kept them in. I suggest that that there be two variations on adding cities:

A - includes the 3 cities with split votes, and
B - excludes those 3 cities.

A gives the Chinese a stronger defensive position, while B is slightly weaker (though much stronger than in CWIF).

I would definitely prefer the 'B' alternative and can go along with that one even though it may cause difficulties with balance in the later game in the Pacific.

Hopefully there will be additional 'vote' entries as well.

Lars

Post #: 92
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 1:15:02 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Incy

According to the map froon posted on this thread, Nanning was historically taken directly from the sea, without a land bridge to Hong Hong.
To do this in MWif a HQ is needed. I think there should be a port south/southeast of Nanning, to allow Japan to trace supply to Nanning without an HQ.

Incy

There are several more of these situations. In WIF FE Kunming, Kweiyang, Chengchow, and Changsa also could be attacked by the Japanese using ports for supply instead of HQs. That is not possible in the CWIF/MWIF maps with their different scaling.

Actually, Nanning can be attacked without an HQ if Hanoi is used as a supply source.

I have no solution at hand for remedying this difference. I simply note that it comes up almost everywhere for the interior Chinese cities.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Incy)
Post #: 93
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 1:15:37 AM   
Froonp

quote:

The real test for inclusion of the proposed canal (whether it be shown as a canal or a river) is how much of an obstacle it was to land combat. On that topic I am also blissfully ignorant. I merely note that that crierion is probably best for making the decision.

I can find this Canal on one of the WWII maps I have, it is labelled the "Grand Canal", but not on all the others (See post #47 for an example).
I believe it should not be represented.

Post #: 94
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 1:27:36 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Incy

According to the map froon posted on this thread, Nanning was historically taken directly from the sea, without a land bridge to Hong Hong.
To do this in MWif a HQ is needed. I think there should be a port south/southeast of Nanning, to allow Japan to trace supply to Nanning without an HQ.

Incy

There's a port named Pakhoi down there (Wosung may have a better name for it), should I add it ?
I'm not bothered by the obbligation to have an HQ on the coast to open the supply to Nanning. Why would it be a problem ? This is a common feature with China in WiF FE.

quote:

There are several more of these situations. In WIF FE Kunming, Kweiyang, Chengchow, and Changsa also could be attacked by the Japanese using ports for supply instead of HQs. That is not possible in the CWIF/MWIF maps with their different scaling.

I believe you're wrong on most of these cities.
Units who would be able to attack Kweiyang, Changsha, Wuhan, or Chengchow would all be out of supply if only using ports.
I think that you forget that to trace supply through a port into the sea, you must count an extra hex, and then you're at 5 hexes, which exceeds the 4 you are allowed.

"Overseas supply paths
The sea portion of a supply path does not count against the maximum number of hexes permitted in the path. The port hex you trace the overseas supply path into does count against your 4 hex limit. However, it always counts as only 1 hex, regardless of what map it is on or what terrain it contains."

So, when you reach Canton for instance, you're at 4 hexes. Then you use the Oversea Supply Path to reach a home Primary supply source. The port in Japan you reach count as 1 hex (not 2). So you're not in supply.

quote:

Actually, Nanning can be attacked without an HQ if Hanoi is used as a supply source.

Only because Hanoi is a capital city, thus a secondary supply source.

quote:

I have no solution at hand for remedying this difference. I simply note that it comes up almost everywhere for the interior Chinese cities.

I think there need no solutions.

There are a couple of ports around Foochow, I can add them if you want.
Wenchow (to the north of Foochow), Amoy, Swatow (both to the south).I would agree with the former but not with both the laters, because they would change the supply status too much, east of Canton for the Japanese.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 5/27/2006 1:36:31 AM >

Post #: 95
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 3:44:40 AM   
wosung

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

On the other side: Without Yennan, it would be like Germany without Berlin

Was it that important ???
What did happen there ?
Why do you consider it to be the capital of Communist China ?

quote:

And to repeat the question: Who's city is Lanchow in WIF setup Communist or National Chinese? Historically it should be National Chinese.

Lanchow is Communist at the game start.
Lanchow and Sian are both Communist at game start of the 1939-1945 campaign.

When Nationalists enter a Communist city, it becomes Nationalist, and when Communists enter a Nationalist city, it becomes Communist.
It just cease to be a supply source until next turn, as a city must have been held from the turn's start to be a supply source.

About Yennan:
Because it's exactly what Yennan (Yan'an) was: The capital of the biggest, most important CCP Base Area in WW2, the Shaan/Gan/Ning area (Shaansi, Gansu, Ningsia area). Mao Tse-tung and party central commitee resided there in the war (Zhou En-lai was in Chungking as liason-chef). Ammunition manufatories were located in Lanchow. Cadre universities were located there. The progressive intelligezia from whole China went there. The 1942 rectification campaigns took place there.

Yennan was overall centre of CCP - because it also was a marginal place, were no enemey had a real motivation to go, when there were other things to do. This was the result of the Long March, not a glorious propaganda tour through China, but a plain flight, escape.

About Lanchow:
After playing around with CWIF I thought so, that Lanchow is Communist at set-up.
Problem is: It seems to be wrong, according to most sources, it should be national Chinese.

1. John Keegan (ed.), Times Atlas of Second World War, p. 34-35, 144-145 (depends on edition)

2. I.C.B. Dear, The Oxford Companion to the Second World War, p. 218, map

say so.

3. And in Barbara Tuchman's book about Stillwell, there are hints about him sent for inspection of Soviet Russian war materiel to Lanchow by Roosevelt (Register: Entry "Lanchow" for the pages, because I've a non-English edition).

Lanchow was the chief entry "port" for Soviet Russian war material since 1938. Even SU fighter sqadrons were stationed there (googel it out). Tuchman doesn't state, Lanchow was Nationalist or Communits Chinese. But the point is: SU mainly supported the military speeking seemingly stronger National Chinese to engage Japanese, not the CCP. (Realpolitik instead of ideoloy).

These are the 3 WW2 Sources Harry Rowland would take to an lonley island.

I today even read an George Marshall to Roosevelt quotation online, about Lanchow being the only (farthest) place in North Western China, with Nationalist Chinese Influence (sorry can't find web adress). Apart from that there was a regional warlord around Lanchow, and yes they had a shorttime CCP uprising there in 1936.

Lanchow had for a time some importance as Sovietrussian - National Chinese lend lease "port". There were no big resources around. It was a marginal place.

So I think (and to repeat: that's just an opinion, I don't want to offend anybody) the Yennan and the Lanchow question are interrelated.

Plus infastructure and resources were low level in both places. Hence I voted for ommit completed railroad from Sian to Lanchow. And even the resource near Lanchow makes more of the place it was IRL.

And according to Oxford Companion, even Sian remained Nationalist Chinese during the war, p. 230.

These are the historical facts, as far I can see them. Again: Don't want to offend anybody nor sabotage your favorite strategy game.

Please all of you check this, use your own sources. And perhaps these points were discussed in some WIF forums before.

Possible bottom line:

No Ressource, no infrastructure in these 2 places = no incensitive for the Japanese to attack in the North West.

Regards

P.S.: OK with me to ommit Grand Channel. Perhaps it wasn't much of a hindrance.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 96
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 8:02:22 AM   
Neilster

quote:

The real test for inclusion of the proposed canal (whether it be shown as a canal or a river) is how much of an obstacle it was to land combat. On that topic I am also blissfully ignorant. I merely note that that crierion is probably best for making the decision.

They're generally not very wide and with a few exceptions, IMHO, they weren't much of an obstacle to attackers.

With regard to the map changes, how will Chinese warlords affect all this? I've been reading a bit about them lately and they seem to have been extremely important.

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 97
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 8:12:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

They're generally not very wide and with a few exceptions, IMHO, they weren't much of an obstacle to attackers.

With regard to the map changes, how will Chinese warlords affect all this? I've been reading a bit about them lately and they seem to have been extremely important.

Cheers, Neilster

There is an optional rule for including Chinese Warlords - 22.4.15 in RAW - from Politics in Flames.

Steve

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 98
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 10:37:48 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

There is an optional rule for including Chinese Warlords - 22.4.15 in RAW - from Politics in Flames.

Yes, and I seem to remember that it was also decided in the "Play Balance in China" thread to have more of them.
For the moment, we have the following warlords :
- Chengtu
- Chungking
- Kunming (T'ang Chi-yao faction)
- Lanchow (Kuo-mingchoung faction, under Feng-Youhsiang)
- Peking (Fengtien faction, under Chang-Tso-lin)
- Shanghai (Chihli faction, under Ch'uan-fang)

Could be added :
- Nanning (Kouang-Si faction)
- Changsha or Wuhan (Chihli faction, under Wu P'ei-fu)
- a second Warlord to Peking as this one seems to have a lot of territory under his rule (in 1928)
- a second Warlord to Lanchow as this one seems to have a lot of territory under his rule (in 1928)
- a second Warlord to Shanghai as this one seems to have a lot of territory under his rule (in 1928)

The Warlords factions and names in brackets are from the John Keegan (ed.), Times Atlas of Second World War, p. 33 (French edition). Wosunk surely has english names for this as he has the same book in English.
The Warlord I suggested are from the 1928 map page 33, so I'm not sure it is still current in 1939-45.

Moreover, the Warlord rule impose them not to go farther than 2 hexes from their home city.
With the scale change, I thing this should be changed from 2 to up to 4-6 hexes.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 5/27/2006 10:38:56 AM >

Post #: 99
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 10:47:11 AM   
Froonp

quote:

About Yennan:
Because it's exactly what Yennan (Yan'an) was: The capital of the biggest, most important CCP Base Area in WW2, the Shaan/Gan/Ning area (Shaansi, Gansu, Ningsia area). Mao Tse-tung and party central commitee resided there in the war (Zhou En-lai was in Chungking as liason-chef). Ammunition manufatories were located in Lanchow. Cadre universities were located there. The progressive intelligezia from whole China went there. The 1942 rectification campaigns took place there.

Yennan was overall centre of CCP - because it also was a marginal place, were no enemey had a real motivation to go, when there were other things to do. This was the result of the Long March, not a glorious propaganda tour through China, but a plain flight, escape.

I'll add this to the map, anyway it is subjected to the forum members comments (and votes) and playtest.

quote:

About Lanchow:
After playing around with CWIF I thought so, that Lanchow is Communist at set-up.
Problem is: It seems to be wrong, according to most sources, it should be national Chinese.

Your sources are solid it seems.
But if we follow reality to closely here, we will find the Communist without cities.
As you said previously, this was not a problem for communist armies to be without cities, as they lived from the lands, but given the WiF FE rules, land units are tied by the supply rules to owning cities.
We could say : "okay, then the Communist units will behave like partisan units", that is, always be in supply. But this would be too much powerful !!! The communist armies could wander the japanese rear areas at will without any problem.
So we are stuck to the supply / city rule, and we need the communist to own cities. Lanchow & Sian (plus Tianshui & Yennan) are the less worse choices.
I remember in the past, the player could choose where the communist camp would be. So the Communist bases could be Kunming for instance. This was worse than now.

quote:

Possible bottom line:
No Ressource, no infrastructure in these 2 places = no incensitive for the Japanese to attack in the North West.

This is wise, but this would be a far departure from WiF FE.
Maybe the resource in Lanchow is here to simulate the USSR help ?
It this is true, we could make it more far away from Lanchow (say 2-3 hexes down the silk road), with only a road likning both.

I could also stop the rail at Tianshui and only have a road from there to Lan Chow.

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 100
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 10:59:55 AM   
Froonp

China map north portion, with the proposals of roads from Lanchow shown.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Froonp -- 5/27/2006 11:07:04 AM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 101
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 12:56:56 PM   
wosung

quote:

quote:

About Yennan:

I'll add this to the map, anyway it is subjected to the forum members comments (and votes) and playtest.

quote:

About Lanchow:

Your sources are solid it seems.
But if we follow reality to closely here, we will find the Communist without cities.
As you said previously, this was not a problem for communist armies to be without cities, as they lived from the lands, but given the WiF FE rules, land units are tied by the supply rules to owning cities.
We could say : "okay, then the Communist units will behave like partisan units", that is, always be in supply. But this would be too much powerful !!! The communist armies could wander the japanese rear areas at will without any problem.
So we are stuck to the supply / city rule, and we need the communist to own cities. Lanchow & Sian (plus Tianshui & Yennan) are the less worse choices.
I remember in the past, the player could choose where the communist camp would be. So the Communist bases could be Kunming for instance. This was worse than now.

This is why I think, the Yennan and the Lanchow/Sian questions are related: If the forum members would make their peace with Yennan, then the CCP would have a city base, and Sian and Lanchow could be National Chinese as IRL. The CCP regular Army in WW2 wasn't that important. Partisans were. .

quote:

Possible bottom line:

This is wise, but this would be a far departure from WiF FE.
Maybe the resource in Lanchow is here to simulate the USSR help ?
It this is true, we could make it more far away from Lanchow (say 2-3 hexes down the silk road), with only a road likning both.

I could also stop the rail at Tianshui and only have a road from there to Lan Chow.

But that's the point faithful adaption to WIF FE? Or some carefully dosed adaptions to PC. And if you blow up the map of China, then maybe this idea above could help to get in historical setting and play balance

Perhaps playing around with the details while playtesting.

Regards

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 102
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 2:04:34 PM   
wosung

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Yes, and I seem to remember that it was also decided in the "Play Balance in China" thread to have more of them.
For the moment, we have the following warlords :
- Chengtu
- Chungking
- Kunming (T'ang Chi-yao faction)
- Lanchow (Kuo-mingchoung faction, under Feng-Youhsiang)
- Peking (Fengtien faction, under Chang-Tso-lin)
- Shanghai (Chihli faction, under Ch'uan-fang)

Could be added :
- Nanning (Kouang-Si faction)
- Changsha or Wuhan (Chihli faction, under Wu P'ei-fu)
- a second Warlord to Peking as this one seems to have a lot of territory under his rule (in 1928)
- a second Warlord to Lanchow as this one seems to have a lot of territory under his rule (in 1928)
- a second Warlord to Shanghai as this one seems to have a lot of territory under his rule (in 1928)

The Warlords factions and names in brackets are from the John Keegan (ed.), Times Atlas of Second World War, p. 33 (French edition). Wosunk surely has english names for this as he has the same book in English.
The Warlord I suggested are from the 1928 map page 33, so I'm not sure it is still current in 1939-45.

Moreover, the Warlord rule impose them not to go farther than 2 hexes from their home city.
With the scale change, I thing this should be changed from 2 to up to 4-6 hexes.

Please let me check out the Warlors factions in WW2. Because there was a tremenduous change between Keegan 1928 and WW2:
During the 10 years in between (1927-37 = Nanking decade of Nationalist Rule) warlords were slowly but not unsucessfully incorporated or destroyed by Chiang Kaiseks then German trained and advised Central Army.

Chengtu (Sichuan Province) was quite sucessfully incorporated in the National Chinese Kuomintang (KMT =National Party) regime of Chiang Kaishek. 1937 at the beginning of the war KMT hordes came from coast and took over, made chief warlord Liu Hsiang there governor of 6th war zone. Died in 1938, sucessor became provincial governor before Chiang Kaisehk himself took over the post. bottom line: no Warlord in sichuan.

Kunming: Lung Yun in War was quite independant "King of Yunnan" province, which became hotbed of liberal intellectuals during war. Lung was tolerated by Chiang because of Lungs importance and the importance of Burma Road (chinese way of policing: if you can't destroy your enemeys: embrace them)

Kweiling, Nanning, Kweiyang (Kwangsi Province): Kwangsi warlords (Pai Ch'ung-hsi et al.) strong anti Chiang Kaishek tradition in 20s-30s, but supported war effort without equivocations. bottom line: Kwangsi warlords.

Taiyuan, Sian (Shansi province): Yen Hsi-shan veteran warlord ruled from 1911-49. Lost Taiyiuan to Japanese, lost part of his Army, which defected to Communist 8th Rout Army (they wer neighbours). Got an agreement with Japanese Aug 1941 (wepons against defection from Nationalist China) but nothing came out of it, Yen went neutral for the rest of the war. bottom line: independant warlord.

Japanese Puppet regimes:

North China:

Peiping: North China Provisional Government, established 1937, (more or less ex- Peiyang Warlords) most time Leader Wang K'o-ming, 1940 because of inauguration of Wang Ching-wei Nanking government the North China Provisional Government was degraded to Council of North China's political affairs. But else nothing changed. It remained relatively autonomuous

Central China:
Shanghai / Nanjing 1938-end 40 Reformed Governement of the Republic of China, Leader Liang Hung-chih. Regional Organization.
1940-45 "Central Government" or "National Government" (Wang Ching-wei until his assasination Nov 1944). It "controlled" the area from Sichuan border to South Kwangtung, Hainan, North Kiangsi etc. with a 600.000 men Army, mainly a barrier to CCP partisans, but no menance to National Chinese Army.

Altogether
In Japanese occupied China 1,8 Million Japanese and Puppet Troops guarding a population of 183 Mio people.

Sources:
T'ien-wei Wu Contending Political Forces during the war of resistance, inJames C. Hsiung and Steven I. Levine (ed.), China's bitter Victory: The War with Japan 1937-1945, Armonk 1992, p.51-78.
Lincoln Li, The Japanese Army in North China, 1937-1945, Tokio 1975.

Regards

P.S.: For the names of the Lakes you can omit the "Hu" (last Syslable) because it means "Lake"

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 103
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 7:36:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Wosung,

The optional rule from Politics in Flames provides 6 Warlord units:

Chungking (5-2)
Kunming (4-2)
Cheng-Tu (2-3)
Shanghai (4-3)
Lan-Chow (3-3)
Peking (3-2)

These units are affliated with which ever group controls the city (Nationalist, Communist, or Japanese).

While this rule is written into WIF FE/RAW, it would be less controversial to modify because that WIF add-on is relatively recent.

Comments? Suggestions?

Steve

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 104
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 7:59:47 PM   
wosung

About last NC-map variant:

Thanks for testing, I like it much better. NC-Map is definitely much more historical than before.

Perhaps you should wait a few days for (dis)agreement of the others and other opinions and then just playtesting it.

Alternative/aditional Options for implementing historical setting up there for testing, debating:

-make Sian instead of Tienshui the railway/road exchange point or omit it from Sian westwards altogether.

-transform more clear hexes in desert hexes up there.

-transfer blue factory from Lanchow to Yennan (CCP Production).

-(a quite illusory one): ommit factory and resource altogether (= offensive war for Japanese in NC much less attractive) and let the Communists have a regular Inf etc. unit in production cycle or on map for every correspondent Japanese unit they destroy (this would simulate captured weapons).

Regards

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 105
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 8:31:33 PM   
wosung

quote:

Wosung,

The optional rule from Politics in Flames provides 6 Warlord units:
These units are affiliated with which ever group controls the cities (Nationalist, Communist, or Japanese)

While this rule is written into WIF FE/RAW, it would be less controversial to modify because that WIF add-on is relatively recent.

Comments? Suggestions?

OK,
WIF FE Peking counter would be Council of North China's Political Affairs.

WIF FE Kunming counter would be Warlord Lung Yun.

WIF FE Chengtu, Chungking counters would be Sichuan province warlords. Afiliation rule simulates historical integration in National Chinese forces quite well.

WIF FE Lanchow counter could be Warlord Yen Hsi-shan, better should be located in Sian.

WIF FE Shanghai counter would be Reformed Government/National Government of Wang Ching-wei.

(Don't be confused by the 2 National Chinas: Chungking: Chiang Kai-shek; Nanking: Wang Ching-wei. The latter was a defector of the former-led party. Chinese politics).

I think, this Shanghai counter should be connected with Nanking, because it was capital of Wang Ching-wei government 1940-45.

And probably there should be 1-3 counters for it, probably with less combat value. One could be Shanghai-based.

Historical background: Wang Ching-wei government was by far the biggest political and military Chinese force after National China and Communist China. Theoretically Wang was even the boss of Peiping's Council of North China's Political Affairs. Wangs's Government was designed by the Japanese as whole China puppet government. That means, bigger than Sichuan warlords (2 counters). But they did not do more than anti-partisan guard.

Regards

Post #: 106
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 8:49:26 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung
WIF FE Shanghai counter would be Reformed Government/National Government of Wang Ching-wei.

(Don't be confused by the 2 National Chinas: Chungking: Chiang Kai-shek; Nanking: Wang Ching-wei. The latter was a defector of the former-led party. Chinese politics).

I think, this Shanghai counter should be connected with Nanking, because it was capital of Wang Ching-wei government 1940-45.

And probably there should be 1-3 counters for it, probably with less combat value. One could be Shanghai-based.

Historical background: Wang Ching-wei government was by far the biggest political and military Chinese force after National China and Communist China. Theoretically Wang was even the boss of Peiping's Council of North China's Political Affairs. Wangs's Government was designed by the Japanese as whole China puppet government. That means, bigger than Sichuan warlords (2 counters). But they did not do more than anti-partisan guard.

Regards

One warlord per city seems like a rule I want to keep.

How about a 3-3 in Shanghai and a 4-3 in Nanking? This gives them comparable strength to the Sichuan warlords (7). We could also go with a 5-2 and a 2-3 to match the Sichuan counters exactly.

Steve

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 107
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 8:58:17 PM   
Froonp

quote:

How about a 3-3 in Shanghai and a 4-3 in Nanking? This gives them comparable strength to the Sichuan warlords (7). We could also go with a 5-2 and a 2-3 to match the Sichuan counters exactly.

There's already one (4-3) in Shanghai.

So you could create a (3-3) in Nanking.
Why not a third (2-2) or (2-3) in Suchow, this is the same province I believe.

This would make 2 extra warlords, both for Japan.
No extra Warlord for the Chineses ?

Post #: 108
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 9:03:10 PM   
Froonp

quote:

About last NC-map variant:

Thanks for testing, I like it much better. NC-Map is definitely much more historical than before.

I believe I went too far with the resource that far away. I believe it would be better in the second mountain hex, on the trail. Or on its initial position, finaly.
Because the more far I put it, the more chances the Japs could cut it from Lanchow.

quote:

Perhaps you should wait a few days for (dis)agreement of the others and other opinions and then just playtesting it.

I will do.

quote:

Alternative/aditional Options for implementing historical setting up there for testing, debating:

-make Sian instead of Tienshui the railway/road exchange point or omit it from Sian westwards altogether.

I disagree. Sian has to be reachable by rail from the rear, as it is in WiF FE.

quote:

-transform more clear hexes in desert hexes up there.

I would like, but I hesitate to turn everything clear to desert. This may be too much.
Isn't it right as it is already ?

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 109
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 9:06:12 PM   
wosung

quote:

quote:

Regards

Both sounds good to me.

Alternativeley You could spread the 7 combat factors between the 3 cities Nanking, Shanghai, Hanchow.

That would underline their historical antipartisan use and low moral. Sichuan province (Chengtu and Chungking) warlords somtimes were used in bigger combat operations, hence only 2, albeit stronger units.

Regards

Post #: 110
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 9:13:08 PM   
Froonp

China Coast.
I wondered it I could come up with pretty coasts .
(Nothing else changed here)

By the way, no one commented on the extra mountain (circled in red).
Should it stay on the map or not ?

I for one think that a couple of mountain hexes around Anking are warranted.
On the other hand, north and nortwest of Nanyang I'm wondering if these mountain hexes are warranted .

Also, I noticed something thas sounded not good to me while drawing the coasts.
There is an all sea hexside between the hex NE of Shanghai and the hex NW of Shanghai. I think it should not be an all sea hexside.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Froonp -- 5/27/2006 9:14:59 PM >

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 111
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 9:31:03 PM   
wosung

Wow! Really a beautiful coast line.

I like the additional red circled mountains.

I, personally, think additional moutains around Anking are warranted.

You could make the all sea hex near Shanghai a clear hex. It would be warranted.

And your the China map Taipan.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 112
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 9:44:54 PM   
oldtimer

quote:

China map north portion, with the proposals of roads from Lanchow shown.

What ever is written in the Mountain squares in the upper right corner I cannot read at all. I can see "tart" then that is it. I assume it is a stat line but whatever color that is and the color of the mountain square completely blend together to me. (colorblind).

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 113
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 9:46:43 PM   
oldtimer

I didn't notice until I was really looking at the map but on the left side in the mountains I can tell something is written under the silk road but above the city Sining but I can make out ANY of the letters.

(in reply to oldtimer)
Post #: 114
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 10:14:10 PM   
Froonp

quote:

What ever is written in the Mountain squares in the upper right corner I cannot read at all. I can see "tart" then that is it. I assume it is a stat line but whatever color that is and the color of the mountain square completely blend together to me. (colorblind).

This is just a mockup map to show the modifications propositions, this is not the real map from the game.
This is from a screen shot at low zoom on the game map, and then editing using Paint Shop Pro.

This is written 1939 Start Line, but it blends in the mountains.

quote:

I didn't notice until I was really looking at the map but on the left side in the mountains I can tell something is written under the silk road but above the city Sining but I can make out ANY of the letters.

There is written : Lake Chinghai.

The real map will have it more readable, I admit that I didn't care to be able to read it clearly on this mockup map. Even I can't read it .

(in reply to oldtimer)
Post #: 115
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 10:16:54 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldtimer

This color is also used to describe rivers and lakes. Whatever the color is; it hurts to look at.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to oldtimer)
Post #: 116
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 10:18:39 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

No minor port at Hangchow? Anyone know if that's historical? Is it a play balance thing?

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 117
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/27/2006 10:40:02 PM   
Froonp

quote:

No minor port at Hangchow? Anyone know if that's historical? Is it a play balance thing?

No port here.
I wondered too, but there is none on the WiF FE map.

Here is the coast again, couldn't resist .
Finaly, I managed to make the coasts look like the coasts of the European maps.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 118
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map portion - 5/27/2006 11:12:08 PM   
oldtimer

quote:

quote:

This is just a mockup map to show the modifications propositions, this is not the real map from the game.
This is from a screen shot at low zoom on the game map, and then editing using Paint Shop Pro.

This is written 1939 Start Line, but it blends in the mountains.

quote:

There is written : Lake Chinghai.

The real map will have it more readable, I admit that I didn't care to be able to read it clearly on this mockup map. Even I can't read it .

Thanks for the explanation Froonp.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 119
RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion - 5/28/2006 2:20:27 AM   
Rexor

quote:

quote:

No port here.
I wondered too, but there is none on the WiF FE map.

Here is the coast again, couldn't resist .
Finaly, I managed to make the coasts look like the coasts of the European maps.

Sweet.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Modifications to MWiF China Map - Coastal Portion Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI