Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Random Questions...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Random Questions... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random Questions... - 6/7/2006 11:25:43 PM   
Godzilla Blitz2

Haven't seen the answers here, wondering if someone can help...

1. Is there variation in players' abilities to hit pitching from the same side? Or do all hitters suffer the same disadvantage?

2. What's an easy way to print/view all the position players and all of the pitchers in your organization by ratings? The graphic view is nice, but the players are scattered by position and you can't sort them. I'm looking for one screen that has all of my position players on it that I can click to sort players by age, power, contact, salary, etc. And I'm trying to find the same type of screen for my pitchers as well.

3. Do player ratings change in season, or solely between seasons?
Post #: 1
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 12:07:15 AM   
KG Erwin

1. The lefty/righty thing isn't set in stone. As a matter of fact, you'll find a few batters that excel against same-handed pitchers, and vice-versa.

2. On your "modify rosters and lineups" team pages, you can sort players by any listed category.  

3. Ratings change between seasons.

(in reply to Godzilla Blitz2)
Post #: 2
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 1:09:53 AM   
Godzilla Blitz2

Thanks for the answers...

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

1. The lefty/righty thing isn't set in stone. As a matter of fact, you'll find a few batters that excel against same-handed pitchers, and vice-versa.

But is this a matter of simple statistical variation or of different abilities inherent in the players, in effect a hidden rating that the gamer can't see?

quote:

2. On your "modify rosters and lineups" team pages, you can sort players by any listed category.

Yes, that is helpful at the major league level, but you can't print it and it doesn't include your minor league players.

I'm trying to find one screen like that that includes all my position players (major and minor league) and is both sortable and printable. And one for pitchers as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL:
KG Erwin 3. Ratings change between seasons.

Thanks!

< Message edited by Godzilla Blitz2 -- 6/8/2006 1:12:50 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 1:26:13 AM   
KG Erwin

1. Shaun doesn't say much about the "hidden" ratings, but that's all well and proper.  Gotta maintain some element of mystery, right?

2. Printable rosters would be nice.

3. You're welcome. 

Note:  one of the things I love about this community is the support that everyone shares.  No condescending attitudes, all of us love baseball, and we can talk about anything and everything. 

Oh, and I forgot to say, welcome aboard, and see you at the ballpark.     

Post #: 4
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 1:35:23 AM   
Godzilla Blitz2

Thanks again for the help.

quote:

1. Shaun doesn't say much about the "hidden" ratings, but that's all well and proper. Gotta maintain some element of mystery, right?

I'm fine with not knowing how the ratings work for the lefty/righty abilities, but at this point I'm curious simply if they exist. In real baseball, some batters struggle mightily against pitchers from the same side, while others may hit better when facing pitchers from the same side. If such a hidden rating set exists in PureSim, that's great and I can mess around with discovering the variations in my players on my own. All good and well.

But if such ratings don't exist in PureSim, that's fine too. It's a simplification in comparison to real baseball, but it's not that big of a deal to me. I can run with it.

But it would be nice to know. To me this seems more along the lines of acknowledging that a game has a particular feature.

I suppose someone could run a statistical analysis of different players and come up with the answers, but, well, that isn't very much fun for the majority of us.

quote:

2. Printable rosters would be nice.

If you could filter, then print the "player" database by team, that would solve the problem. But when you select a team while in the player database viewer, it kicks you back to the team's main screen.

< Message edited by Godzilla Blitz2 -- 6/8/2006 1:36:53 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 3:38:02 AM   
lynchjm24

It's just variation you are seeing in the stats. I do not believe that there are any hidden ratings with respect to l/r splits.

Post #: 6
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 3:56:41 AM   
puresimmer

Actually each player is in fact rated individually for lefty and righty performance, in fact they are rated individually for all aspects (contact, power, eye etc...) Those splits are hidden but it becomes apparent as you look at player performance. Of course in general lefty/righty matchups are pretty much in line with baseball (lefty v. lefty best for picthers and so on)

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 7
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 3:57:04 AM   
XCom

That's actually kind of disappointing. I would like to see some sort of variation in how players hit LHP vs. RHP. Seems all it would take is one more rating (hidden or not) that is added at player generation that is then used at the start of an at bat to change the effective ratings for the batter. Same could be done with pitchers. Similar to BBPro's vL rating if anyone is familiar.

Post #: 8
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 4:25:28 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

Actually each player is in fact rated individually for lefty and righty performance, in fact they are rated individually for all aspects (contact, power, eye etc...) Those splits are hidden but it becomes apparent as you look at player performance. Of course in general lefty/righty matchups are pretty much in line with baseball (lefty v. lefty best for picthers and so on)

Now, THIS is great. In my teams, I sometimes platoon, but this isn't always the best way to go. Your gotta know your players, which IS realistic.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 9
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 4:30:52 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: XCom

That's actually kind of disappointing. I would like to see some sort of variation in how players hit LHP vs. RHP. Seems all it would take is one more rating (hidden or not) that is added at player generation that is then used at the start of an at bat to change the effective ratings for the batter. Same could be done with pitchers. Similar to BBPro's vL rating if anyone is familiar.

Maybe we cross-posted, but what I am saying is there *is* different ratings for lefty/righty. See my post above.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 10
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 4:33:03 AM   
XCom

Ah...disregard my comment up there then.   I posted that before I saw Shaun's response.  Hooray! 

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 4:34:39 AM   
XCom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: XCom

Maybe we cross-posted, but what I am saying is there *is* different ratings for lefty/righty. See my post above.

Yes, Shaun, we did. Sorry for the confusion...looks like I missed your post by 20 seconds. lol

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 12
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 4:52:28 AM   
Amaroq

quote:

I'll confirm that this is working - I have one guy on my team who *consistently* shows an almost .100 point split in BA vs lefty / righty - not just this season, but year in and year out - and another who consistently has them within about .020 of each other, with one higher one year, and the other higher the next (as I'd expect for an 'equal' player, who is showing variation by random chance).

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 13
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 5:34:34 AM   
lynchjm24

quote:

Wow, I never knew that. It's pretty cool that they are there, I always thought it was a generic split.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 14
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 5:40:42 AM   
Godzilla Blitz2

I agree. This most excellent. Thanks for filling us in, Shaun. Saves the gamer a lot of the frustrating guesswork and lets us concentrate on the fun guesswork.

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 15
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 5:42:34 AM   
lynchjm24

quote:

ORIGINAL: Godzilla Blitz2

I agree. This most excellent. Thanks for filling us in, Shaun. Saves the gamer a lot of the frustrating guesswork and lets us concentrate on the fun guesswork.

Somebody should have just asked so I could be the minister of misinformation earlier.

Post #: 16
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 7:06:28 AM   
verizon32

Does Player rating changes after spring training or after season ends?

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 17
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 2:56:49 PM   
lynchjm24

I'll take the chance of being wrong again, but I think it moved back to between seasons before free agency - and not after spring training.

(in reply to verizon32)
Post #: 18
RE: Random Questions... - 6/8/2006 6:44:51 PM   
Paul Vebber

I definately see an advantage platooning - both from the point fo view of varying lefty-righty - but looking for "mismatches" hitter to pitcher. Contact/stuff - power/velocity - and eye/control disparities are things i look for in setting my starting lineups of managed games, and in situational relief/pinch hitting.

May be my imagination, but where I can match a hitter with strength in one of the above against pitchers weakness, in addition tolefty-righty tendecy - its a benefit!

I swear I have seen changes in the off season before spring training, but big swings tend to be apparent after spring training.

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 6/8/2006 6:46:27 PM >

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Random Questions... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI