Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CSV file info

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: CSV file info Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 3:04:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Last in the series.  The artillery units for the Nationalists are a lighter shade of blue than those for the Communists.  If you compare the regular divisions between the two you will see the Communists have a pinkinterior while the Nationalists have a pale yellow.  The WIF FE counters used a different color scheme.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 601
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 5:13:23 AM   
stretch

has anyone ever actually built that Chinese BB into the game? 

Post #: 602
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 6:22:45 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I remember building some Chinese naval units once, but I am not sure which ones they were.

Steve

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 603
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 8:49:13 AM   
Froonp

For the communists artillery, a redish shade for the interior of the box would be preferable IMO.

Post #: 604
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 11:16:14 AM   
wosung

I like all the counters very much!!

2 of the posted ones could be named according to the new transcription icon the map: Communist Mil Units "Lanchow", "Sian".

These 2 Communist Mil Units do appear in cities which in WW2 weren't controlled by Communist Forces. Maybe one of them could be a Yennan Mil instead??

Regards

Post #: 605
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 11:38:35 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

2 of the posted ones could be named according to the new transcription icon the map: Communist Mil Units "Lanchow", "Sian".

These 2 Communist Mil Units do appear in cities which in WW2 weren't controlled by Communist Forces. Maybe one of them could be a Yennan Mil instead??

Regards

I agree for the names transcription, but for the Yennan MIL......
MWiF goal is to transform into a computer software the WiF FE game. No game feature should be changed. No unit added or removed, same rules, etc... (but read last paragraph before yelling )

I think you are asking to change a game feature that is really too big here. That is, removing the communist bond to Lanchow & Sian cities. This may be ahistorical, but as I already said in the China map thread, units are dependant on cities for supply in that (WiF FE) wargame. So Communist units have to be bound to cities.

I would obviously agree to have Yennan (if it is on the final China map) as a Communist city but Sian & Lanchow both also have to be Communist cities too anyway.

As to add a Yennan MIL Communist Chinese unit, people in the Game Balance in China proposed to add units to the game in China. Warlord were already selected as a solution, but why not add a couple of MIL for couple of new cities too ? Maybe 1 Communist and 1 Nationalist ?

(Seems the form to post messages changed to the old version, I like it better)

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 606
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 12:08:21 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

For the communists artillery, a redish shade for the interior of the box would be preferable IMO.

My opinion hasn't changed on this.

There are two tints of red for interior colors already for the Communist Chinese. Adding a third is too subtle a difference. The blue interior for artillery is consistent with all the other artillery divisions in the game. WIF FE used a mix of red and blue which doesn't scale well through all levels of zoom.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 607
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 12:09:56 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Regards

MWiF goal is to transform into a computer software the WiF FE game. No game feature should be changed. No unit added or removed, same rules, etc... (but read last paragraph before yelling )

I think you are asking to change a game feature that is really too big here. That is, removing the communist bond to Lanchow & Sian cities. This may be ahistorical, but as I already said in the China map thread, units are dependant on cities for supply in that (WiF FE) wargame. So Communist units have to be bound to cities.

I would obviously agree to have Yennan (if it is on the final China map) as a Communist city but Sian & Lanchow both also have to be Communist cities too anyway.

As to add a Yennan MIL Communist Chinese unit, people in the Game Balance in China proposed to add units to the game in China. Warlord were already selected as a solution, but why not add a couple of MIL for couple of new cities too ? Maybe 1 Communist and 1 Nationalist ?

Map first.

Play test second.

Then decide whether more changes are justified.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 608
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 12:20:48 PM   
zeal4u

As a longtime lurker i thought I would finally post and say how wonderful this all looks. I have been playing WiF on and off since 1st ed. came long ago. the counters and the new China map are looking really and I am interested to see how the larger may will effect game balance. In my past experiences, the war between Japan and China has been balanced in favor of the Japanese to much. With the new larger map, maybe a balance(I hope) of sorts will come out of this. I'm wondering how you guys think the larger Pacific map will play out in China?

Post #: 609
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 12:30:15 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

There are two tints of red for interior colors already for the Communist Chinese. Adding a third is too subtle a difference. The blue interior for artillery is consistent with all the other artillery divisions in the game. WIF FE used a mix of red and blue which doesn't scale well through all levels of zoom.

I have another try, because I feel that the fact that these 2 ART are Communist units doesn't show at all.
Either write "COMM" on them as you wrote "AUS" for Australian, or you an also have the box lines be red ?

Post #: 610
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 12:30:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: zeal4u

As a longtime lurker i thought I would finally post and say how wonderful this all looks. I have been playing WiF on and off since 1st ed. came long ago. the counters and the new China map are looking really and I am interested to see how the larger may will effect game balance. In my past experiences, the war between Japan and China has been balanced in favor of the Japanese to much. With the new larger map, maybe a balance(I hope) of sorts will come out of this. I'm wondering how you guys think the larger Pacific map will play out in China?

On this point we are unanimous: "We don't know!"

Some say this; some say that; points are made about such and such; and counter arguments are quickly presented; examples of similar situations are put forth, though they do not match exactly and only provide the odd insight; which leads to the conclusion: "It's got to be play tested!"

My goals here are for: (1) superior players to be able to win regardless of which side they play, (2) for comparable players to play China more or less to a draw, and (3) for the luck of the die roll to be less important than the decisions made by the players. But then that's the objective of every good game, isn't it?

Steve

(in reply to zeal4u)
Post #: 611
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 12:42:03 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Some say this; some say that; points are made about such and such; and counter arguments are quickly presented; examples of similar situations are put forth, though they do not match exactly and only provide the odd insight; which leads to the conclusion: "It's got to be play tested!"

As a comment to what you wrote here, I'd say that it would be really great if a War in China scenario could be created and agreed upon by some of the players.
It would allow to specifically target playtest games on China.
Because otherwise, the only scenario available for testing war in China is the full 39-45 game. If you have to play a full 39-45 game to playtest the war in China, there will obviously be less playtest done than if a specific scenario is agreed upon.

I think it would be easy to set up such a scenario.

The Set Up armed forces would be the same as in the 39-45 game, and the scenario would last up to N/D 41.

The Scenario would provide a restriction as to the BP Japan have something like 40% to 60% of its total BP (of the top of my head, but should be discussed).

Otherwise, as it would be a playtest scenario only, the players would also be under the moral constraint of preparing the Japanese army to the S/O or N/D 41 waves of invasions. A set of DIV / MAR / AMPH / TRS units should be required to be in given Sea Area ports ready to invade Philippines, Malaya, NEI, Rabaul, etc...

The map used would be all the world, but the game would not give to the players the other allied & axis major power to play, and the players would be under a moral contraint of not using areas outside China, Manchuria, Korea & Japan.

What do you think ?

Post #: 612
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 1:00:13 PM   
Neilster

quote:

quote:

As a comment to what you wrote here, I'd say that it would be really great if a War in China scenario could be created and agreed upon by some of the players.
Because otherwise, the only scenario available for testing war in China is the full 39-45 game. If you have to play a full 39-45 game to playtest the war in China, there will obviously be less playtest done than if a specific scenario is agreed upon.

The Set Up armed forces would be the same as in the 39-45 game, and the scenario would last up to N/D 41.

The Scenario would provide a restriction as to the BP Japan have something like 40% to 60% of its total BP (of the top of my head, but should be discussed).

Otherwise, as it would be a playtest scenario only, the players would also be under the moral constraint of preparing the Japanese army to the S/O or N/D 41 waves of invasions. A set of DIV / MAR / AMPH / TRS units should be required to be in given Sea Area ports ready to invade Philippines, Malaya, NEI, Rabaul, etc...

The map used would be all the world, but the game would not give to the players the other allied & axis major power to play, and the players would be under a moral contraint of not using areas outside China, Manchuria, Korea & Japan.

What do you think ?

This got me thinking. As an adjunct to the human testing Steve, do you think there is any value to testing via many, many AI vs AI Global War games, perhaps with human or random twiddling of the setups/options etc?

I intend to set up plenty of these out of interest anyway.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 613
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 1:02:03 PM   
Froonp

quote:

This got me thinking. As an adjunct to the human testing Steve, do you think there is any value to testing via many, many AI vs AI Global War games, perhaps with human or random twiddling of the setups/options etc?

I intend to set up plenty of these out of interest anyway.

Could be funny to hear about the results

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 614
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 1:04:16 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have another try, because I feel that the fact that these 2 ART are Communist units doesn't show at all.
Either write "COMM" on them as you wrote "AUS" for Australian, or you an also have the box lines be red ?

Here are the different units under discussion (with some Japanese thrown in). To my eye the difference between the Communist artillery and the Nationalist artillery is strong. The Communists get the darker shade. Indeed, that darker blue interior for the Communist Chinese appears only on their two artillery units. All the other artillery units in the game have the lighter shade of blue (which is also used for airborne units).

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 615
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 1:08:43 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Here are the different units under discussion (with some Japanese thrown in). To my eye the difference between the Communist artillery and the Nationalist artillery is strong. The Communists get the darker shade. Indeed, that darker blue interior for the Communist Chinese appears only on their two artillery units. All the other artillery units in the game have the lighter shade of blue (which is also used for airborne units).

Yes, you clearly see that there are some ART different from the others, but you don't know what they have special.
The distinctive feature of Communist units, is the Red Color, and there is no Red anywhere in them.

You will have the same problem with the Communist ships and Aircraft units. WiF FE has their name written in red IIRC and the ship & aircraft silhouette on the back red too.

Post #: 616
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 1:11:50 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

What do you think ?

No.

Setting up a scenario is a nightmare. It took me a couple of months to get the 6 new ones I did mostly installed. I am not looking forward to finishing the 2 I still have remaining to do. The rules of this game do not allow for turning off US Entry, aligning countries, and numerous other details.

Changing rules is out of the question.

Instead, I would expect the players to play test play balance on China using the Global War scenario but not move any units for any of the major powers except China and Japan, and for the latter, only move units vis-a-vis China. All the other countries would lie fallow.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 617
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 1:12:00 PM   
wosung

quote:

quote:

Regards

No yelling, just proposing

Why?
Ahh, let me guess:
Play balance!

Sounds interesting. Just test it out while playtesting!

I agree

Best thing of all: When MWIF is out, nobody can say, China/Asian map was just blown up without detailed thoughts about it.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 618
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 1:14:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Yes, you clearly see that there are some ART different from the others, but you don't know what they have special.
The distinctive feature of Communist units, is the Red Color, and there is no Red anywhere in them.

You will have the same problem with the Communist ships and Aircraft units. WiF FE has their name written in red IIRC and the ship & aircraft silhouette on the back red too.

I didn't know there were any Chinese Communist naval or air units.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 619
RE: CSV file info - 6/1/2006 3:09:21 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't know there were any Chinese Communist naval or air units.

In fact this is normal, as they are PatiF units now that I remeber.
I forgot that.

Post #: 620
RE: CSV file info - 6/2/2006 3:14:26 AM   
Rexor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just a newbie tangent, but I need to ask: After looking at the rules (admittedly not too closely), I still can't figure out why units in the same nation have different colors (except, of course, for the difference between the Nationalist and Communist Chinese). In this example, for instance, why the difference in color between the different Japanese Army-size infantry counters? (I'm referring the 20th and 27th Armies.)

Post #: 621
RE: CSV file info - 6/2/2006 4:59:36 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

With corps/army sized units there are two classes: elite and regular.  The elite units are shown with white combat and movement numbers and white interiors for their NATO symbols. The only difference between elite and non-elite is that the latter defend better when they are passive (disrupted) and out of supply.  The difference is that regular army units, when passive and out-of-supply, defend with a strength of 1, regardless of what is printed on the counter.  Elite units defend with a strength of 3 under the same circumstances.  One of the keys to winning is to disrupt regular army enemy units and then overrun them.  A ground strike to disrupt enemy units followed by maneuvering through the line to cut off their supply can transform a hex worth 11 (a 6-3 and a 5-3) into a hex worth 2 that can be overrun.  Net result: a big hole in the line, cheers on one side, and tears on the other.

Steve

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 622
RE: CSV file info - 6/2/2006 12:17:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I have most of the air and naval bitmaps installed now. Here is a screen shot taken from Barbaroosa - first turn.

The Germans have taken out the sacrificial lamb left in Brest-Litovsk and punched a hole in the river line in Lithuania. The current decision is whether to use von Leeb to reorganize the JU87B and a division - they have orange status indicators marking them as passive/disrupted.

To the right you can see the units in the hex under the cursor.

Only von Leeb and von Brock have the bright green status indicators because they are the only HQs eligible for reorganizing units. That is, there are units within their range that could be reorganized.

This screen shot is seriously cropped (to meet the 200k limit for posts). It was done at zoom level 5 (out of 8). I think this is a reasonable level at which to play the game and that the unit depictions you see in this screen shot are what you will see when playing. The full screen (at 1280 by 1024) shows 14.5 hexes across and 11 hexes high. I could have made that slightly larger but I left some margins for other stuff I was doing.

The two naval air units did a port attack on Riga, which is why they are passive/expended for the turn (orange status indicator).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 623
RE: CSV file info - 6/2/2006 1:41:36 PM   
YohanTM2

Hi Steve,

It looks like the 3-3 Art in the cursor hex is also passive? If so, it is not showing on the map in the background of the hex?

Rob

Post #: 624
RE: CSV file info - 6/2/2006 6:48:08 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

Hi Steve,

It looks like the 3-3 Art in the cursor hex is also passive? If so, it is not showing on the map in the background of the hex?

Rob

Yeah, it's passive because I used it for bombardment during the ground strike phase. There is a small piece of the orange visible, but you have to look closely (orange on red is very hard to see). I will most likely reduce the amount of shadowing so more of the status indicators for units underneath can be seen. Notice that the SS unit has a gray shadow rather than black.

The positioning of the units within the units' panel isn't correct. I have to allow for a larger margin around them to accommodate the status indicators.

I've seen several posts for improving the shadows and status indicators but I am holding off on trying new variations at the present. Once the graphics artist finishes the unit bitmaps, I'll ask him for advice on both.

Steve

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 625
RE: CSV file info - 6/2/2006 7:28:56 PM   
Froonp

It's nit picking, but you seemed to be attentive to that, but it seems that the "Stuka" name is too high and written on the wing of the bird.

The shadows are not really quite like I would llike them, they look too much like shadows. I would have prefered them to look like some thickness of the counter, you see what I mean.

Otherwise it's quite a splendid and gorgeous view.

Post #: 626
RE: CSV file info - 6/2/2006 8:25:45 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

It's nit picking, but you seemed to be attentive to that, but it seems that the "Stuka" name is too high and written on the wing of the bird.

The shadows are not really quite like I would llike them, they look too much like shadows. I would have prefered them to look like some thickness of the counter, you see what I mean.

Otherwise it's quite a splendid and gorgeous view.

The placement of the names has only been tailored for zoom level 8. I believe I now have them all correct, but I want to wait until I see the rest of the units from the last 4 counter sheets.

Once I am certain they are all as perfect as I can make them at zoom level 8, I'll scale them for the other zoom levels. This was a problem I had for all the land units when I was designing their high resolution unit depictions. There is a large internal data file I created that contains nothing but offset numbers for placing the component parts of the counters within the frame at different levels of zoom: X offset, Y offset, font size, variations for if circled numbers are present, and a long list of other modifiers.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 627
Ships Counters - 6/5/2006 5:55:52 PM   
Froonp

Steve, I'm finding that the names are too far away from the Graphics for the ships counters. You could make them closer without harming the counter.

Also, I find that the circles for Range & Speed are both too large for ships. I'm sure you could trim it down a bit.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 6/5/2006 6:02:37 PM >

Post #: 628
RE: Ships Counters - 6/5/2006 8:44:59 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Steve, I'm finding that the names are too far away from the Graphics for the ships counters. You could make them closer without harming the counter.

Also, I find that the circles for Range & Speed are both too large for ships. I'm sure you could trim it down a bit.

All the circles are the same in that they are based on the size of the font used inside the circle. When there are two digits, the circles are larger, otherwise they are precisely the same.

What you are probably noticing is that 3, 4, and 6 have more room from the digit to the perimeter of the circle. 2, 5, and 7 have less.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 629
RE: Modding unit bitmaps - 6/8/2006 12:33:07 PM   
Neilster

Steve, do you have an opinion on the question I asked about AI vs AI playtesting? I know that when you don't reply it oftens means that "Deep Thought" is analysing the position :)

Also, and I apologise if this has been covered before, will it be possible to create bitmaps to replace those used as unit counters? I have something specific in mind where I want to replace certain air units with some of my own creation. I know I'll be able to modify the units' values/year of entry etc via the CSV files but it would be good if I could create my own bitmaps to complete the swap. I understand that even if this is possible, several bitmaps will be required for each unit to handle zoom levels.

Cheer, Neilster

Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: CSV file info Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI