Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Formations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Formations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Formations? - 5/4/2006 9:19:26 PM   
Capt Cliff

What kind of formations will there be? Obvious line and road march, I assume. But what about mixed order for infantry in woods and villages? What about skirmishers? Can we prolong artillery intead of limbering them up then unlimbering them? Cavalry also needs multiple formations. A mixed order for village fighting and to allow the Great Redoubt to be taken, from behind!

Capt. Cliff
Post #: 1
RE: Formations? - 5/28/2006 6:29:30 PM   
Tim Coakley

Sorry for delay...missed the question before...

Line (3 and 2 rank)
March and attack col.
square
defensize (for occupying forts, towns...)
open (resting/recovery/working)

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 2
RE: Formations? - 6/9/2006 10:39:45 PM   
amrcg

What about skirmish formations? =)

Cheers,
Antonio

(in reply to Tim Coakley)
Post #: 3
RE: Formations? - 6/11/2006 5:05:23 AM   
strebe

quote:

ORIGINAL: amrcg

What about skirmish formations? =)

Cheers,
Antonio

And formations that had skirmish troops deployed out while the main body stayed in formation as opposed to units that could totally go to skirmish formation (Rifle units etc.)?

Dave

(in reply to amrcg)
Post #: 4
RE: Formations? - 6/11/2006 6:29:11 PM   
amrcg

quote:

ORIGINAL: strebe
And formations that had skirmish troops deployed out while the main body stayed in formation as opposed to units that could totally go to skirmish formation (Rifle units etc.)?
Dave

This one is easy. Like in H&M, you can just abstract the skirmishers in the firepower of the unit. No need for special formations.

Cheers,
Antonio

(in reply to strebe)
Post #: 5
RE: Formations? - 6/11/2006 7:52:50 PM   
sol_invictus

I agree amrcg, Age of Rifles did that as well with Skirmishers. I really don't like the way HPS handles Skirmishers being detached from the parent unit. It allows the Skirmishers to much freedom to act independently with them zipping all over the battlefield.

(in reply to amrcg)
Post #: 6
RE: Formations? - 6/13/2006 10:02:41 PM   
amrcg

quote:

ORIGINAL: amrcg
This one is easy. Like in H&M, you can just abstract the skirmishers in the firepower of the unit. No need for special formations.

In fact, not only "firepower". It should also influence the range at which enemy units are detected. Units featuring a significant skirmisher component should be more difficult to be ambushed.

Cheers,
Antonio

(in reply to amrcg)
Post #: 7
RE: Formations? - 6/14/2006 12:59:46 AM   
Capitaine

I'm not sure about skirmishers adding anything to the firepower of a battalion. The light company would deploy in skirmish formation in front of the battalion, thereby screening it but also masking the firepower of the rest of the formation. As long as skirmishers are deployed in front, the rest of the battalion won't be firing. It's an either/or situation at best.

(in reply to amrcg)
Post #: 8
RE: Formations? - 6/15/2006 2:28:36 AM   
amrcg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

I'm not sure about skirmishers adding anything to the firepower of a battalion. The light company would deploy in skirmish formation in front of the battalion, thereby screening it but also masking the firepower of the rest of the formation. As long as skirmishers are deployed in front, the rest of the battalion won't be firing. It's an either/or situation at best.

Yes, I agree with that. Skirmishers somewhat increase the shooting range (albeit with minor power) and sighting capability of units.

Antonio

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 9
RE: Formations? - 6/15/2006 9:23:51 PM   
Capt Cliff

Skirmishers I believe had a tendency to mask the main unit from enemy fire. Even from horse back you couldn't see where the main battle Battalion was located, unless you were on a hill. But you could only direct fire onto units on the "plain" with units that were on the hill. Get me? Plus Skirmisher fire had a tendency to disrupt enemy units, the added fear factor of being shot at. This needs to be modelled into the game.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to amrcg)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Formations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI