Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mid June Update!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Mid June Update! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mid June Update! - 6/16/2006 2:57:18 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hello all:

It's been a while since I've posted and I hate that since I am posting all the time on our beta forum with testers BUT I just don't have enough time guys! I need to invest my time with the testers and bring this game to market then I'll stalk these forums like crazy!

I wanted to take a few moments to remind you of a few things.
We're coming to a great point in EiANW and that is that we're VERY close to a release announcement.
In anticipation of this release, I want to set the record straight on a few items of discussion that we've been going over in the beta testing...

1. This is not an exact port of EiA. This is EiANW. There was never an intention of porting EiA but giving EiA-like attributes with a few extensions. This is obvious in the use EiH-like diplomacy, EiH maps, different counters, different unit types, piracy, etc. Is there a possiblity of an "EiA classic" scenario? Absolutely, depending on game adoption.

2. There are certain compromises we have made to allow PBEM/IP (IP will not be in first release) play to be more smooth. Some examples of this would be retreats are automatically done by the PC which helps minimize file exchanges in combat. Retreat locations are pretty specific anyway and those rules are used i.e. Toward the closest depot or toward the nations capital.

Development continues in this game since we have much to add. We are working on IP play which should be in the first major update and many more scenarios to follow...

We appreciate your patience and ask that you hold that patience a little longer...

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 1
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/16/2006 7:14:15 PM   
Soult

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

1. This is not an exact port of EiA. This is EiANW. There was never an intention of porting EiA but giving EiA-like attributes with a few extensions.

Never an intention of porting EiA ?

quote:

9/21/2002 8:38:11 PM

Marshall Ellis
Empires In Arms Developer

We have been promising everyone a surprise for sometime, well here it is. Matrix Games and Australian Design Group have been working in silence for some time and have now signed an agreement that gives Matrix Games the license to publish the computer version of Empires In Arms. This will be made official some time early next week but I was given the ok to let me bring you guys the news.

Napoleonic Wars will be known as "Empires In Arms, the Napoleonic Wars 1805 - 1815". We are very excited about being able to design one of the all time best strategic level Napoleonic games ever made. The design features we have already completed will all still be in the game. Each feature will have ability to turn off or on at the players choice. There will be many new options and features such as enhanced combat, privateers and enhanced naval rules to name a few. EIA old diehard fans do not worry because since all of these features can be turned on or off this will allow you to play the Classic EIA as well.

So we have "NEVER an intention of porting EiA" vs. "EIA old diehard fans do not worry because since all of these features can be turned on or off this will allow you to play the Classic EIA as well".

Marshall, you are my hero.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/16/2006 11:43:36 PM   
hlj

I am sorry Soult,  all I see is you selecting to quote words taken out of context in order for you to prove your own point of view.

I too can play that game

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Marshall Ellis
...Is there a possiblity of an "EiA classic" scenario? Absolutely....

So we have "..EiA classic scenario? Absolutely" vs. "EIA old diehard fans do not worry because since all of these features can be turned on or off this will allow you to play the Classic EIA as well".

What was the difference again?

< Message edited by hlj -- 6/16/2006 11:45:27 PM >

(in reply to Soult)
Post #: 3
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/17/2006 2:12:41 AM   
Soult

words taken out of context ? get real please.

"EiA classic scenraio" does not mean that someone is allowed by the game "to play the Classic EIA as well". There may only be a similar setup, thats all.
He just spoke about a "possibilty, depending on game adoption". If you want to ignore this it is up to you.

In 2002 Marshall said that Matrix games got "the license to publish the computer Version of Empires in Arms".
In 2004: "We're making great progress in developing EIA for the PC."
In 2006 he says "there was NEVER an INTENTION of porting EiA".

How to you call such a contradiction ?

< Message edited by Soult -- 6/17/2006 3:12:09 AM >

(in reply to hlj)
Post #: 4
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/17/2006 4:55:39 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Soult:

You would make a great lawyer or are you already?

I'm just telling you that Dave Heath and myself never intended for it to be an exact copy of EiA. Dave and I have spoken about this very subject for years.
Any EiA player should be able to tell this is not an exact porting to the PC by just looking at the counters and map which are totally different than EiA.

Can't we all just get along?
Do you need this game for your survival? If so then I'll port it exact because I'd rather save a life than argue about this!

LOL LOL LOL!!!

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Soult)
Post #: 5
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/17/2006 5:06:50 PM   
YohanTM2

Thanks Marshall,

I just want a great game, my fingers are crossed!

Post #: 6
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/17/2006 6:25:21 PM   
JavaJoe

I have played EiA for 10 years now and one thing I've seen is at least 100 different interpetations of rules.

The basic concept of EiA is great, the minutia of the rules and how you deal with corps as garrisons when they are in the area as opposed to them being in the city when they wish to fire the guns of a port and such can drag the game down. The rules lawyers paradise that is EiA will have an impartial arbitrator...a set of rules the computer controls. You may agree with them or disagree with them but they will be the same for everyone. That in itself is worth the price of admission.

Will EiANW be the exact game EiA was? Probably not, and that's OK. That game has many flaws, it even spawned a second editition EiH that from what I understand is incorporated into EiANW.

Marshal keep up the good work.

David Heath, come to a JAG meeting we would love to see you if you're close.

Vice President Jersey Association Of Gamers
JerseyGamers.com

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 7
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/19/2006 3:20:32 AM   
kylenapoleon

I am looking forward to its release. I am sure it will be an excellent game with very few bugs.

Does it matter to me that the game is not going to EiA for the PC? Not really. As I have posted before, I came to enjoy La Grande Armee much more. I began to play 1809 and the series of Fleet games by Victory games. I found these games to be more challenging. EiA became to simplistic and always ended up with a couple of players teaming up and eliminating Prussia or Austria at the start.

I look forward to a PC version that is more challenging and realistic.

Post #: 8
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/19/2006 9:59:38 AM   
Ursa MAior

Since I was only dreaming of a game of EiA, for me it does not make any big difference. What I am waiting for is a GRAND strategy game set in the age of Napoleon, and not a fantasy land that is the game-that-shall-not be-named-which-was-released-and-is-very-similar-yet-failed-to-please-the-grognards. (:waves to people: hello HardSarge, hello 1LTRambo).

BTW what does EiANW stand for (I understand the first three letters )?

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to kylenapoleon)
Post #: 9
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/19/2006 10:11:29 AM   
Gresbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

I suppose it stands for Napoleonic Wars.

BTW what does
quote:

a fantasy land that is the game-that-shall-not be-named-which-was-released-and-is-very-similar-yet-failed-to-please-the-grognards
for?

I suppose it stands for CoG. In this case, probably you're too severe.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 10
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/19/2006 10:29:51 AM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gresbeck

quote:

I suppose it stands for Napoleonic Wars.

Well could be.

quote:

BTW what does
quote:

a fantasy land that is the game-that-shall-not be-named-which-was-released-and-is-very-similar-yet-failed-to-please-the-grognards
for?

I suppose it stands for CoG. In this case, probably you're too severe.

Yes I am.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Gresbeck)
Post #: 11
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/20/2006 2:38:23 AM   
Windfire

Marshall - Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the game.

Post #: 12
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/20/2006 4:08:11 AM   
rhondabrwn

And the Matrix assault on my purse continues

Seriously, looking forward to this impending release.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Windfire)
Post #: 13
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/20/2006 6:48:07 AM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

And the Matrix assault on my purse continues

Seriously, looking forward to this impending release.

N+1 to that. Will scrap together the dough somehow for sure. Hell I've been waiting for this since ages.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 14
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/22/2006 2:04:41 AM   
Murat

You will be happy to know that as of today I have redeemed a customer. Well, not me, but Ralegh and the screenshots have, I just got them to come here and look around again.  They stated it looked and sounded MUCH better than a few years ago and are now willing to purchase it at release  Part of it, I am sure, is that they are anglophiles so Ralegh's success undoubtedly demonstrated a perceived good result and thus a good game.  We will see how he feels once his armies are freezing outside the gates of Stockholm and the Crown is unusally silent about orders and supplies due to civil unrest

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 15
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/22/2006 4:31:20 AM   
denisonh

Thanks for the "bones" Marshall.

Always good to get the skinny on the latest updates.

Still stand by the motto should be "no coasters". I have so little time for gaming and want it done right, not redone over and over and over........
quote:

Hello all:

It's been a while since I've posted and I hate that since I am posting all the time on our beta forum with testers BUT I just don't have enough time guys! I need to invest my time with the testers and bring this game to market then I'll stalk these forums like crazy!

I wanted to take a few moments to remind you of a few things.
We're coming to a great point in EiANW and that is that we're VERY close to a release announcement.
In anticipation of this release, I want to set the record straight on a few items of discussion that we've been going over in the beta testing...

1. This is not an exact port of EiA. This is EiANW. There was never an intention of porting EiA but giving EiA-like attributes with a few extensions. This is obvious in the use EiH-like diplomacy, EiH maps, different counters, different unit types, piracy, etc. Is there a possiblity of an "EiA classic" scenario? Absolutely, depending on game adoption.

2. There are certain compromises we have made to allow PBEM/IP (IP will not be in first release) play to be more smooth. Some examples of this would be retreats are automatically done by the PC which helps minimize file exchanges in combat. Retreat locations are pretty specific anyway and those rules are used i.e. Toward the closest depot or toward the nations capital.

Development continues in this game since we have much to add. We are working on IP play which should be in the first major update and many more scenarios to follow...

We appreciate your patience and ask that you hold that patience a little longer...

Thank you

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

Post #: 16
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/22/2006 10:28:20 AM   
Soult

quote:

Soult:

You would make a great lawyer or are you already?

I'm just telling you that Dave Heath and myself never intended for it to be an exact copy of EiA. Dave and I have spoken about this very subject for years.
Any EiA player should be able to tell this is not an exact porting to the PC by just looking at the counters and map which are totally different than EiA.

Can't we all just get along?
Do you need this game for your survival? If so then I'll port it exact because I'd rather save a life than argue about this!

LOL LOL LOL!!!

Thank you

As you said it is obvious that the look of EiA for PC won´t be the original one. Everbody can see it. It is just an aesthetic question. But what is your point ? You don´t want to say that only the look of EiA will change, do you ?
"Because you can see that there are optical changes you have to expect changes for the game itself" - is that what you want to say ?

You spoke that long about the computer version of EiA and now your just amused if someone asks for it. That´s poor.
As far as I know by now you added several mistakes to the game map, included romantic pirates but crippled the whole naval warfare, etc.
Perhapse the game will work in the end, I wish good luck for you and every buyer including myself in that point. And then you may react somewhat relaxed to comments.

< Message edited by Soult -- 6/22/2006 10:36:07 AM >

Post #: 17
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/22/2006 12:37:01 PM   
Ursa MAior

I am well known to react harshly on offensive, arrogant and plain stupid posts. Well yours is just the combination of all of the above.

You can rest now.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Soult)
Post #: 18
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/22/2006 1:24:56 PM   
Soult

quote:

I am well known to react harshly on offensive, arrogant and plain stupid posts. Well yours is just the combination of all of the above.

You can rest now.

There is no single argument in your post...
Your are "well known to react harshly" means your allowed to be offensive ? What kind of excuse is this ? You simply show the same behaviour you pretend to disapprove.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 19
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/22/2006 2:50:18 PM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soult
There is no single argument in your post...

There is no need to ARGUE. Especially with you. It's useless. See below why.

quote:

Your are "well known to react harshly" means your allowed to be offensive?

No. It only means that I was behaving in the last post.

quote:

You simply show the same behaviour you pretend to disapprove.

There is big difference between being aggressive towards the host (ie the owner of the place where you are), and toward some geek who just popped in to spread words of his 'wisdom'. I disapprove reckless, thoughtless rumbling, weeping adn attacking. As simple as that. I'm done with you.

< Message edited by Ursa MAior -- 6/22/2006 2:51:25 PM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Soult)
Post #: 20
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/22/2006 3:46:25 PM   
Soult

my bad, sorry. Didn´t know that you consider yourself to be some kind of "host-guard".
Too bad that your judgement about my postings makes it impossible for you to give just a single argument why I am wrong when I say that there is a contradiction between "EIA old diehard fans do not worry because since all of these features can be turned on or off this will allow you to play the Classic EIA as well" and what the game will be like now.

But well, if that´s your role and there is no chance to get any substantial contribution from you, it won´t kill me that your done with me.

And if you really care about the host, how about respecting the Forum Agreement you once agreed to...

< Message edited by Soult -- 6/22/2006 6:55:36 PM >

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 21
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/23/2006 4:55:07 PM   
freeboy

Looks like a very interesting project.. if I could give my "outsider" advice as in ouside this particular board game and someone with a good deal of gaming and testing experience... keep it playable and huge at the same time.. looks like you cover the world with a hex map so the huge should be covered... the witp crown..  should all be excited about this game

btw will road and rail developement over time, and fortified positions be included? How about how to direct an economy, ships planes or tanks type issues? just curious and totally ignorant of thge board game.... good luck

(in reply to Soult)
Post #: 22
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/29/2006 5:41:08 AM   
Murat

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Looks like a very interesting project.. if I could give my "outsider" advice as in ouside this particular board game and someone with a good deal of gaming and testing experience... keep it playable and huge at the same time.. looks like you cover the world with a hex map so the huge should be covered... the witp crown..  should all be excited about this game

btw will road and rail developement over time, and fortified positions be included? How about how to direct an economy, ships planes or tanks type issues? just curious and totally ignorant of thge board game.... good luck

Were you replying to the World In Flames forum?

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 23
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/29/2006 7:42:01 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

I was kind of guessing GoA, but it's hard to tell with people who have no interest in a game unless you can control the universe from your staff car/vinyl couch.

We were being quietly polite and letting this one die away...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 24
RE: Mid June Update! - 6/30/2006 8:08:11 PM   
kc_chiefs

Thanks for the update. However you decide to model the game, the documentation is important. Gamers want to know how the game plays. Rules will obviously change thus a good set of Help files is absolutely imperative.

Bill Peters

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 25
RE: Mid June Update! - 7/1/2006 7:11:02 AM   
YohanTM2

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

I was kind of guessing GoA, but it's hard to tell with people who have no interest in a game unless you can control the universe from your staff car/vinyl couch.

We were being quietly polite and letting this one die away...

WiF

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 26
RE: Mid June Update! - 7/2/2006 1:14:57 PM   
timewalker03

Just 2 questions. What was so bad about the original game that made you want to create a different one? I know the rules were left to some interpretation in some areas, but the game was fundamentally sound. If it wasn't then most of us wouldn't have been here for 4 years waiting for release. If the game is to far off of the original board game then please don't call it EiANW. Call it " A game that loosely resembles EiA, Set in the Napoleonic Era". If its not close then I'll save my money for something else.

One other question. Are you gonna have a down loadable demo available or one that we can try the game before we buy it? Please do so if I don't like it I won't waste $60 on it. Thanks again!

< Message edited by timewalker03 -- 7/2/2006 1:15:24 PM >

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 27
RE: Mid June Update! - 7/2/2006 3:06:29 PM   
argaur

you will not waste 60$ if you liked EiA, is the same game but better, haven´t you played empires in harm, or other house rules?That is what they are doing, improving the game

"... tell the Emperor that I am facing Russians.
If they had been Prussians, I'd have taken the
position long ago."
- Marshal Ney, 1813

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 28
RE: Mid June Update! - 7/2/2006 4:30:14 PM   
Montbrun

quote:

ORIGINAL: timewalker03

Just 2 questions. What was so bad about the original game that made you want to create a different one? I know the rules were left to some interpretation in some areas, but the game was fundamentally sound. If it wasn't then most of us wouldn't have been here for 4 years waiting for release. If the game is to far off of the original board game then please don't call it EiANW. Call it " A game that loosely resembles EiA, Set in the Napoleonic Era". If its not close then I'll save my money for something else.

One other question. Are you gonna have a down loadable demo available or one that we can try the game before we buy it? Please do so if I don't like it I won't waste $60 on it. Thanks again!

Because some of the rules and mechanics of a game the size of EiA don't translate well into a computer product, or are just plain "un-programable" the way they are implemented in the game. There are always changes in a wargame "port" that includes an AI....

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Mid June Update! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI