Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/23/2006 8:25:03 PM   
joey

Great another Beck's lover! I put that right up there with Harps from Ireland!

(in reply to Curty)
Post #: 31
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/23/2006 8:28:59 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curty

Stella Artois in my opinion is the best Lager in the world...a Belgian 'beer', 5.2% Alc.

Isn't Stella a pilsner? I could be mistaken. At any rate, a first class beer. Wonderful for backyard BBQs or after a good match of ultimate (frisbee).

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Curty)
Post #: 32
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/23/2006 9:34:16 PM   
Mynok

There are much better Belgians than Stella....and Stella is excellent. Chimay and Duvel are readily available here in the States and are excellent beers.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 33
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/23/2006 10:28:29 PM   
Thilo

1) Now it gets clear why the Brits call these fluids ale, lager, bitter or whatever. They all seem to have incommon that they do not deserve the name beer. This is of course derived from the stuff you get at airports like Heathrow, Gatwick etc.
2) I though guiness was irish - not a single irishman to flame all here for calling it british?
3) Problem with german beer is that the best comes from some smaller breweries - Loewenbraeu may be famous but it's the worst beer from munich, and beer from munich is still inferior to that from the southern bavaian countryside - Tegernseer, Unertl ... - but you can hardly find them 100 km from their production site, let alone in foreign countries. Should that be the case elsewhere in the world as well (US microbreweries come to my mind, but I fear it will never become a clear picture; Belgium) we will not find a conclusion.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 34
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 1:43:43 AM   
MarcA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thilo

1) Now it gets clear why the Brits call these fluids ale, lager, bitter or whatever. They all seem to have incommon that they do not deserve the name beer. This is of course derived from the stuff you get at airports like Heathrow, Gatwick etc.
2) I though guiness was irish - not a single irishman to flame all here for calling it british?
3) Problem with german beer is that the best comes from some smaller breweries - Loewenbraeu may be famous but it's the worst beer from munich, and beer from munich is still inferior to that from the southern bavaian countryside - Tegernseer, Unertl ... - but you can hardly find them 100 km from their production site, let alone in foreign countries. Should that be the case elsewhere in the world as well (US microbreweries come to my mind, but I fear it will never become a clear picture; Belgium) we will not find a conclusion.

Thilo, German beers OK but as Sean Connery informed us, don't come to a gun party armed with a knife. We are talking about real beer here.

(in reply to Thilo)
Post #: 35
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 3:05:46 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

Guinness reminds me of the remains of that cold cup of coffee i left from last night...it tasted horrendous

Stella Artois in my opinion is the best Lager in the world...a Belgian 'beer', 5.2% Alc.

A close second would be German.. Beck's Bier from Bremen, has a kind of nutty taste with 5% Alc.

The strangest is 'Old Pickled Sporren' a local 'brew' from the Orkney Islands

Isn't Stella Artois regarded as 'Slapper" beer?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Curty)
Post #: 36
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 3:09:33 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

Problem with British beer is the massive quantities of sugar used in their production. They have no frigging grasp of the purity laws and standards evolved in Germany. Same can be said of North American breweries who use so much corn and rice in their beers that they become flavourless monstrosities.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Thilo)
Post #: 37
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 3:55:14 AM   
Big B

This has become a thread on beer tastes - which is fine,
But no one has checked out the advertising. That's what amazed me...look at this stuff! (go back and look at the link)

B

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 38
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 4:06:49 AM   
Ron Saueracker

That is what is missing in advertising in North America...humour and good writing. If I see another yeast infection ad during dinner time I'm going to effing kill someone.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 39
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 4:23:16 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

That is what is missing in advertising in North America...humour and good writing. If I see another yeast infection ad during dinner time I'm going to effing kill someone.

"That's what I'm on about - you saw it didn't ya?!"

Attachment (1)

Post #: 40
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 11:24:05 AM   
Bobthehatchit

quote:

quote:

Guinness reminds me of the remains of that cold cup of coffee i left from last night...it tasted horrendous

A close second would be German.. Beck's Bier from Bremen, has a kind of nutty taste with 5% Alc.

The strangest is 'Old Pickled Sporren' a local 'brew' from the Orkney Islands

Isn't Stella Artois regarded as 'Slapper" beer?

Yeah its the beer of choice for the yob generations, its also know as wife beater over here as well due to the amount of chemicals in it which are thought to bring on violent tendencies when plastered.

What you want is a nice cold pint of carlsburg export.

Gunnies is great expecially when served cold, no more the four pints though.

"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!

Post #: 41
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 12:46:42 PM   
Thilo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantill

quote:

Thilo, German beers OK but as Sean Connery informed us, don't come to a gun party armed with a knife. We are talking about real beer here.

Mantill, at least Sean Connery is scottish so he should know a bit about beverages.
British humor is great. You can't eat or drink it. So still every prejudice mentioned before seems to be valid.

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 42
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 8:29:04 PM   
Nikademus

Is it considered a sin in Britian/Ireland to drink Guiness cold? I'm not a fan of the "room temperature" thing. I love Guiness cold.....quenches that thirst!

(in reply to Bobthehatchit)
Post #: 43
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 8:34:47 PM   
Speedysteve

Hell no. Bring it on cold 

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 44
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 8:40:14 PM   
irishman

Guinness is now served cold but was originally only served in bottles at room temperature. It had less of a creamy head but was a lot stronger. It now comes in two draught versions, regular and extra cold.
The extra cold version is pure joy after a hot summer's day but it can start to have a strange effect on you after the first dozen pints!
Trivia: The country that consumes the most Guinness per person is actually Nigeria! There are now plans to produce an extra strength version over here to meet the demand from Nigerians living in Ireland as they reckon that the locally produced Guinness is too weak!

The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory - Cicero

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 45
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 8:46:38 PM   
Nikademus

too weak? Is that were the idea of the original bottled Guiness "extra stout" came from? That stuff takes a brave soul to consume....almost like Tar.....prefer the draught version but sometimes that extra stout can make the day er......more pleasant.......

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 46
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 9:06:28 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

too weak? Is that were the idea of the original bottled Guiness "extra stout" came from? That stuff takes a brave soul to consume....almost like Tar.....prefer the draught version but sometimes that extra stout can make the day er......more pleasant.......

I think the Extra Stout originates in Jamaica. Speaking of the Carib, I know a guy here at the Governor General's Cricket Club, an old islander artist named Cy, who designed and drew the logo for Bank's Beer.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 47
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 9:07:29 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: irishman

Guinness is now served cold but was originally only served in bottles at room temperature. It had less of a creamy head but was a lot stronger. It now comes in two draught versions, regular and extra cold.
The extra cold version is pure joy after a hot summer's day but it can start to have a strange effect on you after the first dozen pints!
Trivia: The country that consumes the most Guinness per person is actually Nigeria! There are now plans to produce an extra strength version over here to meet the demand from Nigerians living in Ireland as they reckon that the locally produced Guinness is too weak!

That Extra Cold is a joke...rarely functions properly.

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 48
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 9:07:53 PM   
irishman

quote:

Yep, the extra stout version is actually what Guinness was originally sold as. Pure dynamite. The Iron content makes your next visit to the toilet........interesting!

The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory - Cicero

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 49
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 9:34:32 PM   
lyceum

Guinness is all I drink. Down my local its always pretty much room temperature, especially by the time ive finished it! Tried the extra cold but the iron came through to much, was tasting it all night. Leffe is easily the best of the Belgain beers, but if I was going to have a lager I always go for a Becks or Carlsberg. John SMiths my favourite bitter. So many local ales in england, I like to try them all!

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 50
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/24/2006 10:14:05 PM   
Przemcio231

Well i stoped drinking beer becouse it make's you fat... im sticking with Vodka but from what i remeber the best beer's i drunk were... Warstainer ( German ) , Budwaiser (Czeh) , Warka Strong ( over 8% Alk and sweet taste)  , Zywiec  ( both Polish ) ...

Any way i stick to Vodka with some juice... i like some Whiskey and Gin to... but i hate Johnnie Walker

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to Curty)
Post #: 51
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/25/2006 1:24:14 AM   
Bobthehatchit

quote:

Is it considered a sin in Britian/Ireland to drink Guiness cold? I'm not a fan of the "room temperature" thing. I love Guiness cold.....quenches that thirst!

As speedy says hell no! Its getting hard to find a pub that doesn't sell it cold!

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 52
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/25/2006 1:26:05 AM   
Bobthehatchit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Przemcio231

Well i stoped drinking beer becouse it make's you fat... im sticking with Vodka but from what i remeber the best beer's i drunk were... Warstainer ( German ) , Budwaiser (Czeh) , Warka Strong ( over 8% Alk and sweet taste)  , Zywiec  ( both Polish ) ...

Any way i stick to Vodka with some juice... i like some Whiskey and Gin to... but i hate Johnnie Walker

Smurffy black with apple juice on ice!

Attachment (1)

Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 53
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/25/2006 4:12:49 AM   
RevRick

quote:

You're complaining. At least THAT is an improvment over the laxative commercials. "Doxidan. Gentle Doxidan. When nature needs a helping hand!"

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 54
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/25/2006 4:46:32 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

quote:

You're complaining. At least THAT is an improvment over the laxative commercials. "Doxidan. Gentle Doxidan. When nature needs a helping hand!"

Hey Rev!!!! If anything, wer ar on the same side here!!!

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 55
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/25/2006 1:41:25 PM   
Curty

TRY FILLING THIS WITH THIS....

5.6% Alc.

A dark, strong beer,
Old Peculier is justifiably
famous for its rich and
complete character, its
sheer strength – and
for being a beer with a
long history.

Old Peculier recently
took the Bronze medal in
CAMRA’s 9th National
Winter Ales Festival

Tasting notes:
The beer that made Masham
famous – rich, dark and smooth-
tasting, with a character all its
own. Brewed using the traditional
Fuggle hop, Old Peculier is our
best known beer and has a large
and enthusiastic following all over
Britain and around the world.

OG1057, 5.6% ABV

Strength Warning:
The power of Old Peculier should
never be underestimated.

With 5.6% ABV, it wouldn’t take
too many Old Peculiers for you
to start feeling the effects!
It’s a grown-up beer for grown-
up drinkers – and it demands just
a little respect. As with anything,
moderation is the name of the
game.

< Message edited by Curty -- 6/25/2006 2:09:09 PM >

Post #: 56
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/25/2006 3:42:13 PM   
Przemcio231

Heh few days ago a guy was hospitalized in the City of Bialystok having 10%. of Alcholol in his blood

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to Curty)
Post #: 57
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/25/2006 8:31:16 PM   
Speedysteve

LOL Prez. I assume it was pure vodka?

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Post #: 58
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/25/2006 9:17:46 PM   
Nikademus

yikes...didn't think it was possible for a man to live under such conditions.

Post #: 59
RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain - 6/25/2006 9:29:01 PM   
tsimmonds

...mmm, Duvel...

8.5%, beware!

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Spitfire Ale - The Bottle of Britain Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI