Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allow myself to introduce myself

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Allow myself to introduce myself Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/2/2006 1:23:29 AM   
Huggy87

Hi all,
New here. I'm thinking of buying War in the Pacific, but I don't want to spend 70 clams and then not like it.

I loved Risk the board game, and Axis and Allies both on the board and on the PC. Harpoon (the original) on the PC probably cost me some grades my freshman year. I played the hell out of the Close Combat and Combat mission series. I've enjoyed a lot of fantasy strategy series like heroes of might and magic and Age of wonders. World at War from matrix has a permanent spot on my hard drive - but I never played with advanced supply. I didn't really care for that level of micromanagement. I never purchased the heart of iron series for the same reason. I'm a big WW2 history nerd and have a book case full of just WW2.

I love this subject matter, but with three kids and a busy job, this might be too much game. How is the game if you automate many features? I wish there was a demo for this game. Input would be appreciated.

Huggy
Post #: 1
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/2/2006 1:53:24 AM   
FeurerKrieg

The automation is pretty crappy. If you REALLY (who says you have to actually talk to the wife?) don't have any free time, don't buy it. It will consume your life.

There is a thread around here that deals with good things to say to the wife when you here her voice going and you are watching a turn run. 'Catch all' phrases if you will that cover about 90% of the things that wife might say/ask.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Huggy87)
Post #: 2
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/2/2006 3:08:31 AM   
dtravel

If you think Hearts of Iron was too detailed, then this is definitely not the game for you.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 3
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/2/2006 3:22:11 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Huggy87

I didn't really care for that level of micromanagement. I never purchased the heart of iron series for the same reason.

Huggy

Then you won't like this game...Although hands down it is the best around with this scope...

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Huggy87)
Post #: 4
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/2/2006 8:02:36 PM   
scott64

What they said 

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 5
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/2/2006 8:23:12 PM   
33Vyper

Some have called this game Quartermaster in the Pacific.....yes there is micromanaging....you will need a notepad and a good memory...cause it only takes one...opps forgot I had the BB task force without air cover there to make you soooooooooooooooo angry....

that being said....still the best grognard level wargame I have ever played.

oh yea....forgot one thing...you might be overwhelmed by WITP...but UV is a good alternative...it is WITP Lite™ and well worth the investment. It would give you a great idea of what WITP would be like...just imagine having 10,000 times more stuff to move around.

< Message edited by 33Vyper -- 7/2/2006 8:26:00 PM >

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 6
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/2/2006 11:26:57 PM   
Mart777

Everybody is right in what they say it is rather complex but heres a thought you could consider, if you like the pbem in games the time issue can be less off putting. Play against someone who plays just a few turns a week and fit your game around your lifestyle.

(in reply to Huggy87)
Post #: 7
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/3/2006 4:04:33 PM   
Mighty Atomu

Don´t worry about the micromanagement complexity.

Just take a dive and fight your way through the game, and leave the rest to the artificial intelligence. It will be fun and - as you develop skills just by having fun - you will naturally start to feel the urge to micromanage everything yourself to improve performance.

You will catch the "micromanagement disease" - there´s no doubt about it!

The bigger issue is how to fit your life around the game. You know, all those annoying little things like wife/girlfried, family, work, various to-do's, social obligations - also know as "real life"...  Being a nerd helps, but you have to be very creative

MK

(in reply to Mart777)
Post #: 8
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/3/2006 4:15:16 PM   
supermarina

usually I don't like computer games on strategical level. I prefer boardgames with high difficult rating.
Usually on computer games the AI isn't smart enough, the game is too and boringly complex, tha map is too large and you can't have a right level of wiew,.. and so on.

This is the only computer game that can challenge a boardgame. Complex enough but not overwhelming if you have played a bordgame like World in Flames acting as the British Empire, very good historical accuracy and flavour etc.
It's a game that focus on air and naval combats obviously, the land combat is much sacrificated to sake of simplicity, but..

simply the best on its genre

(in reply to Mart777)
Post #: 9
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/4/2006 1:32:25 AM   
ny59giants

Since I am a professional counselor by trade, I would suggest you talk with your wife about how much time she feels is appropriate to spend on the computer. This game is addictive.  
Once you get it and start playing the tutorial and then a small scenario against the AI you will want to play either a PBEM or a full length against a pretty good AI. A PBEM can be taylor made to the number of games you want (I have three ) and you can say only a limited number of turns per week. However, you say that when you start, but as the "game" gets interesting, you WILL spend more time playing it.
I have played board games and now computer games for almost 40 years and this is the best I have player.

(in reply to supermarina)
Post #: 10
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/4/2006 11:15:36 AM   
jeffs

Definitely start with UV. It is a great game on its own...Play PBEM (do AI for 1 to 2 weeks to get the basic idea)
then get slaughtered once or twice at PBEM and you will turn into a monster...

If then after a while you find UV a bit limited (or more likely, unable to get new PBEM partners as many UVers have gone to the dark side that is sometimes called WITP) then welcome.

To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 11
RE: Allow myself to introduce myself - 7/4/2006 9:03:47 PM   
Huggy87

Thanks for the input all.  I ended up paying 30 for aUV download.  30 seems like a lot for a four year old game, but it is such a niche game.  I can see how this sucks you in -  reminds me of Harpoon, only better.  Amazing detail with a steep learning curve, I've already managed to lose my carriers in the coral sea.    The user interface is as bad as all of the reviews claimed.  Anyway, If this goes well (or badly), I may be seeing you soon with WITP. 

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Allow myself to introduce myself Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI