Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Barbarossa: Moscati v. Hopcroft

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Barbarossa: Moscati v. Hopcroft Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Barbarossa: Moscati v. Hopcroft - 7/5/2006 5:05:38 AM   
MPHopcroft1

The scenario: Barbarossa 1941
OKW: Michael Moscati
Stavka; Michael Hopcroft

My perspective: The Axis Turn 1 was exactly the hammer blow I have come to mexpect in any wargame playing out this scenario. The Societs are unlikely to get any real success uin the early turns in any event.

although I didn't end up using my entire turn, and probably didn't get the chance to move all the units i could, I did shore up some basic lines well behind the front for my next stand.

No screenshots from me, because none of them looked particularly interesting.

I am hoping to play a somewhat more intelligent game than a "throw everything at the front, and then send everything else". But then again I'm not a paranoiac with delusions of godhood either.
Post #: 1
RE: Barbarossa: Moscati v. Hopcroft - 7/5/2006 6:21:41 AM   
MPHopcroft1

Turn 2 now complete.

Even though I know I can't hold the Baltics, I am surprised that thre Axis advance has slowed somewhat. The finns have been quiet too -- Foo must know something about them I don't.

The Soviets have two advantages in this scenario: Land and Time. The Axis needs to go a very long way to a short time to win.

< Message edited by MPHopcroft -- 7/5/2006 6:26:48 AM >

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin

(in reply to MPHopcroft1)
Post #: 2
RE: Barbarossa: Moscati v. Hopcroft - 7/5/2006 8:38:15 AM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

ORIGINAL: MPHopcroft

Turn 2 now complete.
The finns have been quiet too -- Foo must know something about them I don't.

Turn Three:

Yes, the Finns and the South were static until turn 3.

Army Group North moving along smoothly with the Finns now in the war Leningrad is threatened.

Army Group Center is pressing toward Minsk

Army Group South has broke through the main lines and is pushing toward Odessa.

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

Post #: 3
RE: Barbarossa: Moscati v. Hopcroft - 7/5/2006 1:28:58 PM   
MPHopcroft1

Turn Four completed.

Riga has fallen, but I didn't expect to hold it. It's getting kind of hard for me to tell whether the line I set up in Latvia has really slowed dr. foo down at all. The Finns have been murder as well, and I haven't been able yet to reinforce Leningrad. That worries me.

I also think I made a crucial mistake in the center by not froming my line east of the marshes rather than west of them. A good chunk of Army Group Center is about to emerge from that damn swamp and I don't have nearly enough to place in their path.

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 4
RE: Barbarossa: Moscati v. Hopcroft - 7/5/2006 11:42:30 PM   
MPHopcroft1

Turn Five done.

The northern frnt has taken a heck of a pounding, but the germans haven't gotten very much farther in terms of territory. it's the center that worries me; as i was watching the playback of Foo's turn I found myself asking "Where the bloody heck did all those Germans come from?" (The obvious and snarky answer: Germany.) Of course, I knew a lot of troops had disappeared into thre Pripiat marshes where I couldn't see them, but still they hit the center hard.

Odessa was finally taken by the Germans. The worrisome thing about the southern front is that my reinforcements will have to get all the way there from Moscow -- which is the same problem i have reinforcing the north, only much, much worse.

All the while Dr. Foo assures me I'm doing fine, and that I might actually be winning. And the Germans have such touch victory conditions that he may be right -- that simply slowing down and stopping the assault is enough for a Soviet win in this scenario.

Post #: 5
Pictures, where's the pictures? - 7/6/2006 1:49:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

How about a picture of the front lines every once in a while?

Post #: 6
RE: Pictures, where's the pictures? - 7/6/2006 4:17:37 AM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

How about a picture of the front lines every once in a while?

I will try on the next turn but I have not had any luck in the past so I cannot promise anything.

Anyway, the Finns have annihilated the Soviets along the border and have advanced as far as the game will allow. As there is a Finnish Stop Line I must honor that line, if not, I would walk into Leningrad!

Army Group North is meeting unorganized resistance but is slowed by effective delaying actions. This has not pleased Der Fuhrer and he had arrested several battalion commanders and had them shot!

Army Group Center has taken Kiev and is regrouping for a push into the heart of Russia.

Army Group South has taken Odessa and has the situation stabilized. Mop up operations will ensue as the lead elements push forward.

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Barbarossa: Moscati v. Hopcroft Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI