Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Importing OOTP Schedule

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Importing OOTP Schedule Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/21/2006 4:39:01 PM   
BIAAARR

I'm trying to switch from OOTP 6.5 to Puresim and continue to use an 84 game schedule I developed for a Universal Baseball Association type league. Everytime I bring the schedule file out of my ootp league I get a message that it is not a valid ootp file. Yet I have run fifty-two seasons with this schedule with no problems. This is a make or break issue for me any suggestions?
Post #: 1
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/21/2006 5:15:12 PM   
akw4572

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1199315

See if any of these suggestions might help.

(in reply to BIAAARR)
Post #: 2
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/21/2006 6:43:49 PM   
Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: BIAAARR

I'm trying to switch from OOTP 6.5 to Puresim and continue to use an 84 game schedule I developed for a Universal Baseball Association type league. Everytime I bring the schedule file out of my ootp league I get a message that it is not a valid ootp file. Yet I have run fifty-two seasons with this schedule with no problems. This is a make or break issue for me any suggestions?

It can be done BIAAARR. Maybe give us access to the schedule file and someone can take a look at it?

(in reply to BIAAARR)
Post #: 3
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/22/2006 1:38:38 AM   
risk_doc

If you are using a csv format, make sure there is a comment (starting with "#' character) in the first line and also make sure that the game time field is filled at the end of each game record (even through Puresim does not use the time field).  Also, make sure team 1 is the first team in the first division in the first league and so forth.  So, if you have a 28 team league, you will have a schedule for teams 1 through 28 in the order that they appear on the standings page.  So, your csv file should look like (with sample four team league schedule):

#(comment text here)
......and so forth.

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 4
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/22/2006 4:23:52 AM   
Scorekeeper

Be forewarned BIAAARR, even when you get the OOTP file to import in, Puresim will use incorrect teams for the scheduled games. I found this out after wanting to replay the 2005 season...I imported the OOTP schedule in, but it uses different team ID's in the schedule file than what Puresim uses. So everytime the imported OOTP schedule calls for, say, Oakland...Puresim will use Seattle instead!! For me, this is a show-stopper...

(in reply to risk_doc)
Post #: 5
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/22/2006 7:41:37 AM   
motnahp

I wanted to enjoy the realism of a completely historical sked, as well. I used a "test" assn to see which team numbers went with which teams.

Once I had the team numbers, it was just a matter of copying an actual schedule from retrosheet. I went through and physically wrote the team numbers for each day onto monthly calendars. I then took my calendars and edited an OOTP .txt document to match the calendars (using the day,team,team,time format in the previous post).

I did this for the 1979 and 1980 AL seasons. Just for fun, I did one for the 1981 AL season (strike year). I wanted to see if PS would accept the shortened schedule. Alas, it would not. I decided that my next little project will be to plug in those "lost games" to make it a full 162 game season.

(in reply to Scorekeeper)
Post #: 6
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/22/2006 2:43:52 PM   
puresimmer

Note, PureSim can also correctly import schedules from retrosheet.org, there are a bunch available here:

http://www.retrosheet.org/schedule/index.html

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 7
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/22/2006 7:35:28 PM   
SittingDuck

I'd also like to mention that a several new season schedules are available at Retrosheet (that didn't ship with PSBB), including a few 60's and about 3-4 80's schedules (of which there were none originally).  So update your PSBB/Mods/Retrosheet directory.

And thanks to Shaun for using this retrosheet system.  I am interested to see how my team (and the system) handles a doubleheader.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 8
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/22/2006 7:41:26 PM   
DandricSturm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scorekeeper

Be forewarned BIAAARR, even when you get the OOTP file to import in, Puresim will use incorrect teams for the scheduled games. I found this out after wanting to replay the 2005 season...I imported the OOTP schedule in, but it uses different team ID's in the schedule file than what Puresim uses. So everytime the imported OOTP schedule calls for, say, Oakland...Puresim will use Seattle instead!! For me, this is a show-stopper...

It isn't so much that PureSim uses incorrect teams as it is that they are numbered differently. For a 16 team 4 division league the numbers (I believe) go like this:

Why, I don't know.

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/

(in reply to Scorekeeper)
Post #: 9
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/22/2006 10:09:31 PM   
Deltadog

In this thread, it has been said that in order to import an OOTP schedule, the PS league must be set up to match the team codes used by OOTP.  It stands to reason, that if one can determine the order that PS IDs the teams, the OOTP schedule can be changed.  This could be done relatively easily using Excel.  The files in the OOTP schedules show how it numbers the teams.  How can one determine how PS arranges the teams.  DandricSturm has listed how he thinks that is done for a 16 team 4 division league.  My questions are as follows:

1.  You have a league set up in PS how can you determine how the id numbers are associated with teams?
2.  Does anyone have a list for a 30 team 6 division league?

Thanks

(in reply to DandricSturm)
Post #: 10
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/23/2006 8:11:31 AM   
CrashDavis

quote:

1. You have a league set up in PS how can you determine how the id numbers are associated with teams?

*If* you mean, how can you find out what the TeamID numbers are, you can:
Goto Options, then click on your assn tab at the top. Then choose to 'Export' your assn's schedule. The exported file will have a file extension *.psc.
You can open this file with notepad and therein will be your assn's teams with their associated TeamID's.

Hope this is what you were looking for,

CrashDavis

< Message edited by CrashDavis -- 7/23/2006 8:12:23 AM >

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 11
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/23/2006 8:22:56 AM   
Deltadog

That is exactly what I was looking for. Looked at every screen except apparently the right one to locate something that would do this.

Thanks for the help.

(in reply to CrashDavis)
Post #: 12
RE: Importing OOTP Schedule - 7/23/2006 9:42:36 AM   
Schedule King

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

Note, PureSim can also correctly import schedules from retrosheet.org, there are a bunch available here:

http://www.retrosheet.org/schedule/index.html

Problems with this suggestion though:

1) The Retrosheet schedule files are missing some seasons from the 1901-2006 timeframe.

2) Some of the Retrosheet schedule files contains errors as a result of either typos or printing errors slipping through the proofing process or because of garbled conversion from the original source files into the file format used by Retrosheet.

I know this firsthand, because the Retrosheet schedule files are derived from my handiwork.

And before anyone asks, yes, I know there hasn't been any updates of the schedule files on Retrosheet in a long, long time. Lots of reasons for that, not the least of which has been me getting involved in researching minor league schedules and becoming so engrossed in them that I can't tear myself away to go back to getting the major league schedule files updated.

I do have the full set of MLB schedule files, from 1878-2006, in text file form sitting on my hard drive. Some day I'm going to get back in touch with Retrosheet and get the schedule process moving again. The best best for anyone wanting the most up-to-date historical MLB schedule files is to check out the OOTP6 Mods forum over on the OOTP boards. There's a historical schedule thread there that contains OOTP-format schedule files for 1901-2005. These files supercede those on Retrosheet.

Just a heads-up for those wanting to know about the happenings on the schedule front...

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Importing OOTP Schedule Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI