Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Old options

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Old options Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old options - 7/23/2006 1:13:27 AM   
Jammer Six

In Steel Panthers III, (I think) there were two options that I can't find in World at War.

One was to fire everything- to click fire once, and the selected unit would continue to fire until it was out of shots for that turn or it had an effect on the target.

The other was to continue to rally- click rally once, and it would keep trying until it was down to one, or couldn't rally anymore for that turn.

Are they in WaW? If so, where?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Old options - 7/23/2006 3:00:18 AM   
FlashfyreSP

The first is not; it was considered too "gamey" for the updated combat routines. The second is, but you must use the 'right mouse click' on the Rally button for it to 'rally until unable to'.

(in reply to Jammer Six)
Post #: 2
RE: Old options - 7/26/2006 6:58:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jammer Six

In Steel Panthers III, (I think) there were two options that I can't find in World at War.

One was to fire everything- to click fire once, and the selected unit would continue to fire until it was out of shots for that turn or it had an effect on the target.

That was ONE of the worst features in SP III

< Message edited by Alby -- 7/28/2006 1:54:30 AM >

(in reply to Jammer Six)
Post #: 3
RE: Old options - 8/30/2006 4:54:05 AM   
Svennemir

I suppose your request for automatization of the firing routine stems from tiredness of waiting for a long time while continuously pressing the f button to fire at the same target. You may want to know that the game can be run with the "impatient" command-line parameter, like this (using mech.exe instead of spwaw.exe):
mech.exe impatient

and this will make secondary weapon fire implicit (i.e. you won't have to watch several animations of machine guns that are not likely to produce any result).

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
RE: Old options - 12/13/2006 8:58:40 AM   
__Creeper__

Haveing to wait through fire animations is without a doubt the #1 biggest weakness of this game, and probably accounts for 30-40% of the time it takes to finish a turn, and the "impatient" tag doesnt do nearly enough.

Ideally, I would like to be able to cycle through my fire opportunities as fast as I want to press the button, and if it sounds funny haveing the sound bite restart 6 times before playing through because I pressed the button 7 times fast, thats ok, and its also ok that I fired 5 shells from my sherman and only got to watch the last reach the target.

Nothing saps my will to continue playing this game more than haveing 10 half tracks, with 7 fire ops each, and needing to sit there clicking the F key through 70 animations, at approximately 1 second per animation.... and thats just the beginning of the turn , I still have hordes of infantry that need to fire.

Iv come to love those moments when my tanks are out of HE shells, and I need them to fire on enemy guns, because no fire animation gets played, and I can fire off 6 machine gun bursts from each panther as fast as I can click the F key

dont get me wrong, I want the animation and sound bite, but if I have to wait through 200 of it in one turn, gggrrrr.

And then there is the "All formation" key (A), I cant even figure out how it works, half my formations wont move when its toggled on and so I have to keep testing and toggling back and forth so much I just gave up useing it. Moveing infantry formations 1 unit at a time actually turns out to be faster.

< Message edited by __Creeper__ -- 12/13/2006 9:08:02 AM >

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 5
RE: Old options - 12/13/2006 5:57:19 PM   
Alby

are you playing with OP fire on or off??
also you can adjust your message delay down so things happen much much faster.

(in reply to __Creeper__)
Post #: 6
RE: Old options - 12/13/2006 6:30:02 PM   
FlashfyreSP

Do you use all of your shots every turn? If so, why? The more shots you use during your turn, the less OpFire shots your units will have during the enemy's turn, and mostly you will be getting Special Op Fire or Return Fire shots, which are not as accurate.

I hardly ever fire all my shots in my turn; I usually leave about a third of the full shot level unfired, in case I get lots of Op Fire chances.

(in reply to __Creeper__)
Post #: 7
RE: Old options - 12/13/2006 8:35:25 PM   
__Creeper__

I play with op fire confirm "off", I turned that option off a long time ago when I first played the game, I didnt like the constant pauseing to get my consent to fire, Id rather just set their range and let them fire.

Delays are at 0, I cant imagine playing with any more Delays than already exist.

Against a defensive enemy I rarely save more than 1 shot in any unit. Unless I expect an enemy tank to roll into my LOS my units are probably not going to have anything to fire at. Its dureing my own turn that my men are moveing, so thats when I need to inflict the most suppression/casualties, and dislodge as many enemy units as I can.

When your attacking and youve got 30 units with LOS to enemy targets, and you have to fire for them all every turn, its an extreamly tedious process even if you are only fireing 2/3s of their shots.

Just think of the corners that could be cut, and time that could be saved if the developers had done the following

1)Allow players to cycle through the fire opportunities as fast as they want to hit the F key, sound bite and fire animation could simply restart each time you hit the key.

2)A one click button to skip through individual artillery barrages, instead of the current "Fast Artillery on/off" wich doesnt get used.

3)An "All formation" button that works on All formations all the time, and maintains unit spaceing instead of bringing them together. This would be a godsend when your army is moveing unopposed.

4)More Color Coding on the minimap to allow you to distinguish units that you havent moved yet this turn. This would shave time off of that phase where you recheck your work obsessivly looking to make sure that everyone that needs to be moved, has been.

None of these things would have required a Thousand coders to work for Thousand days to implement. And combined they could have shaved several of the most mind numbing minutes off of every turn, Taking the work out of it and leaveing you with a higher percentage of fun and strategy, and giveing you some of your life back. (wich inturn youll use to play more Steel Panthers )

------

Just thought of another one

5) You know how the Screen shifts when you cycle N or P, or when you move a vehicle some distance. Well a button to Hold or Toggle in order to prevent the screen from shifting would also make moveing vehicles long distances much quicker, and alot less disorientating.

< Message edited by __Creeper__ -- 12/13/2006 8:54:49 PM >

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Old options Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI