Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starting a Multiplayer League

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Multi-player Leagues >> Starting a Multiplayer League Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starting a Multiplayer League - 7/25/2006 3:20:56 AM   
SittingDuck

SIX PLAYERS INTERESTED SO FAR - SIGN UP!

I haven't done multiplayer with PSBB yet. I was considering putting together a small league for play so a few of us could experience it and give some feedback. If no one ever does this, this aspect of the game won't be used.

So I thought I'd start this thread so people who have considered a MP league might discuss it. Nothing too serious - just an attempt to become familiar with the ability to run MP. Keep the league small, like 6-8 teams.

Well, discuss....

Interested Owners

Padresfan104
akcranker
Sitting Duck - 1970 Bawl'more Orioles
Nukester - 1937 New Yawk Yankees
Deltadog
Dneely
tbear2b

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 8/21/2006 8:54:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 3:40:51 AM   
PadresFan104

Not sure how fun it will be, not being able to watch the games play out, but I'm willing to give it a shot.  Put me down for a San Diego franchise!

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 2
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 3:46:14 AM   
rowech

I could be interested depending on how the whole process works.  Would like to get a Cincy franchise. 

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 3
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 3:58:22 AM   
verizon32

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

Not sure how fun it will be, not being able to watch the games play out, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Put me down for a San Diego franchise!

That will be cool if there was a way we can watch the games that was sim by the commish. I hope Shaun can add that.

No baseball sim has that feature right now.

Only thing we can do is look at the boxscores and play by play text of the sim games we get back from the commish.

Post #: 4
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 4:18:53 AM   
SittingDuck

Well, a lot of this is primarily about doing a test run for those of us who haven't ever done a MP league in PSBB.  About how to trade, how a commish needs to operate with the program, what to expect and all that.  Very much a research, learn and adapt kind of thing.  It's much less focused on is this the team you want and all that.  It's getting your feet wet so that people can figure if they want to play in a MP league in the future and what aspects need to be addressed in regards to running a MP league.

(in reply to verizon32)
Post #: 5
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 4:18:54 AM   
akcranker

Depending on if you still have to download like 20-30 meg files each time the commish posts a new file I'll play.  If the files are still way too big like that then I won't play.  My connection is too slow to be uploading and downloading files that big.  Plus I remember hosting a multiplayer league for awhile and your monthly bandwidth with your ISP can get used up real quick.

(in reply to verizon32)
Post #: 6
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 4:35:01 AM   
SittingDuck

No doubt.  See, I wasn't even aware of that kind of file size.  This is a learning process, I guess.

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 7
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 6:49:12 AM   
dneely

If this works out put me down for the DiamondBacks!

DNeely

Post #: 8
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 8:34:58 AM   
Claymore Cut

I'm in, sign me up for a New York National League Franchise! Don't know if it will be historical or fictional, using real teams or made up ones, but I am in!!!

(in reply to dneely)
Post #: 9
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 8:48:03 AM   
akcranker

Like I said if it involves smaller files this time.... I'm in for the St. Louis Cardinals.

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 10
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 8:54:13 AM   
Claymore Cut

I think we are up to 5....

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 11
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 9:04:39 AM   
akcranker

6 if you count sittingduck

I'm hoping Shaun will comment on how big the files will be that we will be uploading and downloading.

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 12
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 5:17:58 PM   
Deltadog

What files have to be transmitted? PSA & or PSX or a differant file that is only generated if a multiplayer league is set up?

While I am not wild about a multiparty league where the commish sims all games, I will be willing to take part in a test league as proposed. Any team no one else want.

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 13
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 5:24:13 PM   
akw4572

I'd be in.......let me know, I'll be out of town this weekend, so I couldn't start until next monday.  I'll take the Twinkies since my Reds are spoken for.

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 14
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/25/2006 7:09:57 PM   
Nukester

I dont have time for a hardcore online league (and quite frankly have no desire to be in one), but Id love to help out your cause, for testing purposes. Ill have the Yankees if possible, or if not, Ill take anyone

(in reply to akw4572)
Post #: 15
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/26/2006 3:04:51 AM   
SittingDuck

OK, I'll get something set up this weekend when I have time.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 16
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/26/2006 4:11:20 AM   
rowech

akw...feel free to take the Reds...I really don't have too much time for an all encompassing league...probably best that I bow out now. 

Post #: 17
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 7/26/2006 9:44:19 AM   
rmayer32

If you need anymore count me in..  I've been wanting to see this part of the game work for some time.

Rick

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 18
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/10/2006 9:07:42 PM   
XCom

quote:

ORIGINAL: akcranker

Depending on if you still have to download like 20-30 meg files each time the commish posts a new file I'll play. If the files are still way too big like that then I won't play. My connection is too slow to be uploading and downloading files that big. Plus I remember hosting a multiplayer league for awhile and your monthly bandwidth with your ISP can get used up real quick.

Was this ever addressed? Is there any way to limit the size of the regular file transfers? It is very difficult for an owner with dialup to be able to participate in an online multiplayer league the way things are currently setup.

Is there a different compression method out there that could make the file transfers smaller?

Is there any chance of this being reworked to make it easier for the multitudes of people still on dialup to be able to play online? Also, the bandwidth issue is real as well. If there are 20 or so owners downloading a 20-30 meg file a couple times a week from a web server you can reach the bandwidth limit quickly.

Unfortuantely, I see this as a pretty big stumbling block when it comes to online multiplayer leagues.

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 19
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/10/2006 9:19:27 PM   
SittingDuck

True dat (file).

Only way around the bandwidth that I could see would be to post to those storage file sites.  A bit of a hassle, but whatever method is there?

Truthfully, there is nothing as cool as participating in a league for a challenge in these types of games.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 20
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/10/2006 10:27:22 PM   
XCom

Well, I did a quick experiment.

The psa.zip file for an 18 team multiplayer league that I just created and uploaded to my server was 20.3mb. After it was decompressed, the .psa file was 68.2mb and the .psx file was 1.6mb. Using the 7z compression format that same archive (now called psa.7z) is only 5.3mb. Much easier to handle for dialup users!

The 7z compression format is open source and free to all.

http://www.7-zip.org

I think it could be easily incorporated into the multiplayer mode in place of whichever zip program is being used now. The owners never see the compression/de-compression take place when updating their league file in Puresim. This could make it much easier for multiplayer leagues to exist. This issue could be one of the reasons why you don't see many online multiplayer leagues popping up.

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

True dat (file).

Only way around the bandwidth that I could see would be to post to those storage file sites.  A bit of a hassle, but whatever method is there?

Truthfully, there is nothing as cool as participating in a league for a challenge in these types of games.

Post #: 21
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/10/2006 10:34:10 PM   
SittingDuck

Thanks for that link.  Wasn't even away of the technology, to be honest.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 22
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/10/2006 10:50:43 PM   
akcranker

If that compression utility works that's great but one thing to note is as the league goes on the file gets bigger and bigger with all the data it has to store.

I say we go ahead and start a league anyways and test it out and keep track of the file sizes and what the difference is in file size from the beginning of the league and after a few seasons.  Then we can report all of our findings to Shaun.

Post #: 23
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/10/2006 11:28:45 PM   
XCom

quote:

If that compression utility works that's great but one thing to note is as the league goes on the file gets bigger and bigger with all the data it has to store.

That is true, but if the archive size is about 4 times smaller, then even as time goes on this would at least be a much better option than the .zip files. I'm sure as the stats build over time the file will get larger. The test I did was on a Classic league which had not drafted yet.

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 24
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/10/2006 11:34:33 PM   
akcranker

It's been awhile since I did a multiplayer league but I don't remember zip files.  Was puresim zipping up the files automatically and sending them and then unpacking them without the user noticing or having to interact with the zip file?  With this tool you mention do we have to zip the file ourselves each time we send it or does puresim automatically use it?

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 25
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/10/2006 11:53:24 PM   
XCom

quote:

It's been awhile since I did a multiplayer league but I don't remember zip files.  Was puresim zipping up the files automatically and sending them and then unpacking them without the user noticing or having to interact with the zip file?  With this tool you mention do we have to zip the file ourselves each time we send it or does puresim automatically use it?

Yes, I believe so. What I think goes on is that Puresim zips up the league files and then uploads them via FTP to the server when the commissioner wants to send a new file to the league. The team owners then click inside Puresim to update their league file, which prompts Puresim to download the zip file from the server, decompress it, and place the league files into the /psa folder on the local computer.

I am hoping that we can replace the zip format inside Puresim with the 7z format. So, Puresim would just use a different compression utility to compress/de-compress the league file when the transfers take place. It would be (hopefully) behind the scenes and the user wouldn't have to do anything different.

Otherwise, I do think that the compression and FTP steps could be done manually by the commissioner, placing the .7z file on his server and having a link for all the owners to download the file. Then each owner could have their own local copy of 7-zip to decompress the files to their /psa folder. I don't think roster and tactics changes submitted to the server from the owners use the compression sequence, so that would stay the same. Just the sending/updating of the league files would have to be done manually outside of Puresim.

Some of this is just speculation on my part. I'm hoping Shaun will take a look at this possibility and comment on whether it is possible or not...either to change the compression format inside Puresim, or whether manually compressing and uploading/downloading would work.

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 26
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/10/2006 11:58:06 PM   
SittingDuck

Well, I am on the 'DL' for the near future, so I'll be off tomorrow and can whip something up.

What era do people want to play?

Deadball
Golden
60-80's
'Garbage', errr 'Steroid', errr 'Current'

One other thing - this is primarily an experiment. If we all really enjoy it, we can keep it going. If the majority want to can it, then fine, too. This isn't an 'all or nothing' kind of league.

< Message edited by SittingDuck -- 8/11/2006 12:00:01 AM >

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 27
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/11/2006 12:37:10 AM   
akcranker

I'd prefer something from mid 80's on because that's the era I know best.. I know players from that era.  But whatever everyone chooses I'm fine with it.  If we do 80's era I'd prefer to be the Oakland Athletics.  If we do current I'd like to be St. Louis

Post #: 28
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/11/2006 1:55:08 AM   
PadresFan104

no preference

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 29
RE: Any interest in a practice run small Multiplayer le... - 8/12/2006 3:11:19 AM   
dneely

Does not matter to me! However I did ask to take over the Diamondbacks, based on an assumption that we were going to do current players.

DNeely

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Multi-player Leagues >> Starting a Multiplayer League Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI