Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/19/2006 12:31:15 PM   
Scout32

I have just downloaded SPWAW but have not yet played it.I also have WinSPMBT & WinSPWW2.I really enjoy these games. They remind me of the Squad Leader series from yhe old Avalon Hill.I began playing wargames in 1973 when I learned Red Star/White Star while serving on the former East German border.I was an 19D(Cavalry Scout) and an 11B/M(Infantry).I served in the 1st Armored Div.,2nd Armored Div.,3rd Infantry Div. and 39th Infantry Bde(Sep)ARANG.

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 241
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/28/2006 7:06:23 AM   
m1a1carbine

name:m1a1carbine
In south korea.... there is full of badly Online games.......
some games plagiarzied some of american games.....(it makes me crazy....)
so SPWAW is so fun.....
but.... it's too difficult
so I came here for get some helps.....

< Message edited by m1a1carbine -- 7/28/2006 7:13:44 AM >

(in reply to Scout32)
Post #: 242
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 7/28/2006 8:01:43 AM   
Korpraali V

Welcome both Scout and Carbine! 

(in reply to m1a1carbine)
Post #: 243
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/23/2006 6:07:06 PM   
Patton301

I started playing SPWAW many years ago and spent 79 bucks to get the SPWAW generals edition, as I upgraded my computer , I have tried to download senarios however they never showup on the senario menu when I look for them. I know I must be doing something wrong , however I haven't a clue as to what. I also used to have the Steel Panthers arsonal game and enjoyed it very much as it had more recent conflicts such as Vietnam (I'm a Vietnam vet), and Iraq. My "new " computer does not accept the old games. Am I to languish in wargamers purgatory until someday someone publishes an updated game . OR! Am I missing the boat altogether. Also I would like to know if SPWAW is online and can be played interactily. What site do I go to and how do I get in. Tankuberrymuch.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 244
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/24/2006 6:11:19 AM   
Korpraali V

Welcome Patton301!

When you download a scenario, it'll probably be zipped. Check the number of the three/four files you got. Then go to your SPWAW folder and there you'll find SCEN folder. There are all scenarios you've got. See that there are no same number than the scenario you have downloaded and then extract the files to that folder. If there is already a scenario with the same number extract the files for example to desktop and renumber them, and after that move them to SCEN folder. That way they should be playable ingame.

SPWAW can be played online or PBEM (Play By EMail). Here you can see the Opponents Wanted area, and more you can find from www.spwaw.com

In www.spwaw.com there's also an academy where you can improve your skills... for free!

(in reply to Patton301)
Post #: 245
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 8/25/2006 12:24:43 AM   
Goblin

Welcome aboard Scout, Carbine, and Patton301!

Goblin

Post #: 246
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/6/2006 5:38:57 AM   
Gurguvungunit

I'm John, from Seattle, Washington. I'm going into my Junior year of high school, and as my later posts will no doubt attest, this is my first foray into tactical wargaming of any kind, much less the Steel Panthers series. I got into it via a recomendation off of another forum, and I've spent two or three months learning by trial and error how the game works, and I probably don't know the half of it. The manual was helpful, to an extent. On the other hand, I didn't especially want to read all of it.

I've also started making my own scenarios, although most of them are crap so far. But hey, whatever.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 247
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/6/2006 7:32:29 AM   
chief

Gurgu........go spwaw.com and checkout the Academy and the forums also, you'll get a lot from both.

Welcome to the greatest game ever....is there another ?

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Gurguvungunit)
Post #: 248
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/7/2006 8:33:54 AM   
Fossiili

quote:

ORIGINAL: chief
Welcome to the greatest game ever....is there another ?

What do you think about SPWW2 or the new WinSPWW2?
I like them but recently play even SPWAW.

My first war game was Combat Mission. I designed a scenario the fight happening in the place were I live and then I transformed it to SPWAW and have a plan to do that for SPWW2 too. The scenarios are unfortunately unfinished, may be some day they are ready. The maps are usufull.

I served 11 months in Finnish Army on the year 1954 and then have the pleasure to get hand on experiencies with the arms "used" in for ex SPWAW. Recently I play SPMBT PBEM against a primary school principal. We have consentrated on the war between Israel and Iran happening on October 2006 (next month) - good to know what will happen!

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 249
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 9/7/2006 7:41:21 PM   
Korpraali V

Welcome Gurgu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fossiili
I served 11 months in Finnish Army on the year 1954 and then have the pleasure to get hand on experiencies with the arms "used" in for ex SPWAW.

Not that it would feel the same, but in Enhanced Final Version Finnish infantry has not only Mosin-Nagant m91 rifles, but also m27 Pystykorva, m27 cavalry rifle and m39 Ukko-Pekka.

(in reply to Fossiili)
Post #: 250
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/13/2006 6:08:49 PM   
Init

Greetings!

I was looking for a tactical level game and poking around trying to find Panzer General II but found SPWaW instead.

Not a lot of experience on my part. As a kid, many life-times ago, I was very interested in Avalon Hill games and had several but don't even have any of the little cardboard unit counters anymore. Very tough to play those games by yourself........especially "Origins". Never was able to create an alliance with myself....go figure.

Last year I bought Matrix Games War in the Pacific and have dabbled in it a bit but not a lot. Enough to know that I would never make a good captain or admiral. Somehow my command always ends up at the bottom of the Coral Sea.

I have had better success thus far with SPWaW. At least I consider it success since I have come out the winner in the few tutorials I have tried.

Like Gurgu I browsed the manual (only after trying to sort out how things work without reading word one). It helped a lot. Here's something I learned, and I'm sure the infantry is happy about this part. I couldn't figure out how to motivate the infantry guys to keep up with the armour....imagine my chagrine when I read that they had to be 'loaded' onto the tracks.......they sure do cover more ground that way......

Another thing I have learned, or should say "am learning" is that patience can be a good thing. Rushing headlong into the hostile country side does not promote long life.

I'm looking forward to getting deeper into SPWaW. Oh, and I'm still reading the manual. But it is kinda like asking for directions.......don't let your wife know........

< Message edited by Init -- 10/13/2006 6:11:59 PM >

Post #: 251
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/13/2006 8:06:25 PM   
chief

Init: PLUG PLUG....if you desire to learn more about SPWAW go to www.spwaw.com/ and check out the Academy.  Plus a lot of goodies there also.

PS I'm also a PG II fan. (till I got here)

Good hunting

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Init)
Post #: 252
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/13/2006 8:30:26 PM   
Init

Hi Chief,

Nice plug! Thanks.

Went to SPWaW.com and created an account.

Even enrolled as an Academy student. Now I guess I'm gonna have to study......

< Message edited by Init -- 10/13/2006 8:32:23 PM >

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 253
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/15/2006 5:33:01 AM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: chief

Init: PLUG PLUG....if you desire to learn more about SPWAW go to www.spwaw.com/ and check out the Academy. Plus a lot of goodies there also.

New recruits... excellent...

Welcome also here, Init!

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 254
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/20/2006 4:54:33 PM   
Init

Thanks Korpraali.

I'll say I'm "new" and I am getting my butt kicked by some of the "lessons"!  Can't even imagine how ugly it would be (for me that is) to attempt a PBEM (would need to learn how to do that too) game against someone who knows what the hell they are doing.

I gotta admit it's a pretty steep learn curve for me.

Init

Post #: 255
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/20/2006 8:13:56 PM   
chief

Init: Take your lumps, after a few battles and the academy, you'll be handing them out and you'll look back on this (your) message as ......Wha ?????....did I write this.

(in reply to Init)
Post #: 256
RE: to new forum members: check in here - 10/22/2006 4:14:20 AM   
Tommy Ryan

New Member here but am having some problems downloading game.  Recently re-discovered SPWaW and would love to introduce it to my son, but I'm not as computer literate as I need to be.  I downloaded free version 8.2 but after unzipping and installing, when I click game-start icon, I get "zip file read error" box (dyna zip unzip error) which tells me there was a failure to get archive directory listing. Can I get some basic computer help please?  What am I not doing?

Tom Ellis

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 257
RE: to new forum members: check in here - 10/22/2006 5:58:30 AM   
Alby

try launching the game directly from the Mech.exe....

(in reply to Tommy Ryan)
Post #: 258
RE: to new forum members: check in here - 10/24/2006 6:15:37 AM   
Tommy Ryan

Thanks, Found the problem before I had to do that. It was a folder name problem. Game works good now but I still get the dreaded black screen on occasion. Is there a patch for that?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 259
RE: to new forum members: check in here - 10/24/2006 11:17:15 AM   
Init

Sometimes the screen on my laptop goes completely black in SPWAW although I never have the problem with my desktop PC.

It appears to be a refresh/redraw problem because if I just right-click it all comes back.

Can't say for sure but I'll bet it's a vid driver issue.

Init

(in reply to Tommy Ryan)
Post #: 260
RE: to new forum members: check in here - 10/25/2006 1:26:52 AM   
Alby

I got the black screen thing when I updated a video driver, so I rolled back to an older one and it went away.

(in reply to Init)
Post #: 261
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/26/2006 10:29:00 PM   
jason.ferguson3

Hello. I am new to the forum and thought I would take a moment to give my introductions. I have played Steel Panthers since its release and continue to play it to this day. I am not a big poster of topics, but I moght chime in from time to time. From what I have read so far it seems that I will be surrounfed by a group of people here.

ferg

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 262
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/26/2006 11:58:31 PM   
KG Erwin

Welcome aboard, Jason, and all of the newer forumers.  Some of us older vets just can't get enough of the "grand old lady".  (No offense intended to my young spouse  ).

Anyway, I think you understand what I meant.  

(in reply to jason.ferguson3)
Post #: 263
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/27/2006 1:26:33 AM   
milo1047

Hi all! Pretty much a newbie to SP and all, even though I've had the game for a year at least now... I still have no clue hwo to asign formations, get my formations to move as whole....but I do have the hang of most of the other game elements. Looking forward to learning some and getting to know all of you.

Oh yeah! I'm 18 and live the Sacramento Valley of California.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 264
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/27/2006 2:07:05 AM   
Alby

welcome

(in reply to milo1047)
Post #: 265
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/27/2006 2:16:40 AM   
KG Erwin

Hello, Milo. Check out http://spwaw.com  , an independent SPWaW support group, and these guys can give you some in-depth insights into game-play. 

Welcome to the community.  You're just 18 years old?  Warning -- hanging with some of these old guys can age you quickly.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 266
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/27/2006 6:09:56 AM   
Korpraali V

Welcome Tommy, Jason and Milo

It's good to see new members here!

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Hello, Milo. Check out http://spwaw.com , an independent SPWaW support group, and these guys can give you some in-depth insights into game-play.

As he said

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 267
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/27/2006 6:59:52 AM   
milo1047

I tried to sign up there, but it says my email address is banned.

quote:

Welcome to the community. You're just 18 years old? Warning -- hanging with some of these old guys can age you quickly.

Ha! I've been hanging out with olde guys since I got into history and wargaming.

< Message edited by milo1047 -- 10/27/2006 7:02:23 AM >

Post #: 268
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/27/2006 4:31:03 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: milo1047

I tried to sign up there, but it says my email address is banned.

quote:

Welcome to the community. You're just 18 years old? Warning -- hanging with some of these old guys can age you quickly.

Ha! I've been hanging out with olde guys since I got into history and wargaming.

We are looking into the email thing

(in reply to milo1047)
Post #: 269
RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here - 10/28/2006 2:53:13 PM   
Gunter_Viezenz

Wooo I am back one more, WOOOOOO!!!!!!  

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI