Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 2:37:53 AM   
PadresFan104

An option to load in a saved game log and have the game replay it in some fashion.  Would be great for MP leagues.

(in reply to verizon32)
Post #: 61
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 2:53:37 AM   
Amaroq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymore Cut
40 Man Active rosters and Roster expansion in September

This will hopefully make it into next years version, as it is one of the "big 2" reasons why you don't have as much of the marketplace as you should (the other being being players developing during the season).

Please put this feature in!

I agree with these two - I think the 40-man roster and September call-ups would be a huge feature add.

Likewise, I think players developing and aging over the course of a season - at all levels, majors and minors - would really help to make the game feel like real life. Its one of the best 'differentiating' features in OOTP, in my opinion.

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 62
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 2:57:05 AM   
Amaroq

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck
A truly well-developed trading AI that allows the AI to improve, protect itself, and not destroy itself.

I will totally be willing to help and test in this regard. I feel it is absolutely imperative to take the game where others have not gone. Not perfect, but good.

Seconded. Specifically, I want to see
- better evaluation of 'N for 1' trades
- better evaluation of 'need', 'opportunity cost', and 'immediate impact'
- better evaluation of 'long-term impact', in terms of contract lengths, ages, etc.

I'd like to (eventually) see the AI making 'N for M' trades, for example, a 3-for-2 deal, that sort of thing, perhaps reserved for 'close but no cigar' 1-for-1 trades, allowing one side to 'sweeten the pot' with another player, etc.

I'd also like to see the 'call-ups' issues outlined in a different thread addressed.

< Message edited by Amaroq -- 7/29/2006 3:14:48 AM >

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 63
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 3:03:28 AM   
SittingDuck

Schedule Generator??

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 64
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 3:05:16 AM   
Amaroq

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynchjm24
Blow up the financial model and start over - attempting to replicate something more like 'real life'.

If we're thinking about re-working a specific area of the game, this makes good sense to target, to me.

Three things bother me in this area: the player's "take it or leave it" salary demands; the total payrolls when playing with a full minor-league system; and the way the AI does its contract negotiations after the season ends.

I'd like to see:

Back-and-forth negotiations *which consume time*: player makes a demand, I make an offer, player makes a counter-offer, I make a second counter-offer, player accepts, that sort of thing.

June contract negotiations, followed by trades involving the players who couldn't agree to new deals. (This is what I always do, but it feels that the AI does not.)

Realistic minor-league contracts, so that we wind up with total payrolls more in the $100M - $120M range, not the $300M range.

6-year minor-league free agency: basically, no player will sign a deal to stay in your farm system for a seventh year (but if you've promoted them to the bigs, they're willing to stay on).

The combination of those last two almost imply a difference between a 'major league' contract and a 'minor league' contract - which might make it a perfect dovetail with the 40-man roster. A 'minor league' contract might be one that doesn't consume space on the 40-man roster, while a 'major league' contract *does* require space on the 40-man roster - though the player could be assigned to the minors. Free agents who receive a 'minor league' offer from one team and a 'major league' offer from another would always take the 'major league' offer.

That would prevent you from locking up minor-leaguers for ten years with long minor-league contracts.

(Rule 5 might follow pretty naturally, at that juncture.)

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 65
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 3:13:52 AM   
Amaroq

Managers.

I've defined the germ of this idea before, but essentially I'd like to see "Manager Personalities" replace most of the "Manager / GM Options" screen. If you want a manager who doesn't intentionally walk, ever, and calls lots of 'hit and run', you need to hire a Manager who does. We could read manager names from Lahman.

The old implementation of 'managers' had them have 'skill', which was not an 'interesting decision': you always hired the best manager available. This *would* be an interesting decision - finding a manager whose tendencies will actually suit the type of club you've built, as a GM, would be a challenge. It would also give some real sense of personality to the AI teams, especially if the AI GM's tried to build teams to match their manager's personalities.

You could also have 'GM personalities' - defining different constants for the various eval-weights functions, at different times of the season.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 66
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 3:17:41 AM   
Amaroq

Shaun, you might re-read the similar thread which was a wish-list for 2006 - you'll see a lot of the same ideas:

PureSim 2006

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 67
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 3:20:22 AM   
SittingDuck

Following on Amaroq's points on finances, no surplus of good players staying in the FA pool because they can't be afforded.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 68
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 3:29:19 AM   
KG Erwin

Sound triggers -- for the 7th inning stretch, and for Cubs fans, I got the legendary Harry Caray in an mp3 of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".   We need instructions on how to introduce sound triggers, so we can add customized sounds for the in-game manager experience.  

More generic background sounds need to be added. The present ones are good, but we need more variety.  A "sound profile" for a specific park would be ideal.   Hints on how to user-construct such a profile would suffice, IF it could be made part of the user-editable features. 

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 69
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 4:46:47 AM   
Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

If we're thinking about re-working a specific area of the game, this makes good sense to target, to me.

Three things bother me in this area: the player's "take it or leave it" salary demands; the total payrolls when playing with a full minor-league system; and the way the AI does its contract negotiations after the season ends.

I'd like to see:

Back-and-forth negotiations *which consume time*: player makes a demand, I make an offer, player makes a counter-offer, I make a second counter-offer, player accepts, that sort of thing.

June contract negotiations, followed by trades involving the players who couldn't agree to new deals. (This is what I always do, but it feels that the AI does not.)

Realistic minor-league contracts, so that we wind up with total payrolls more in the $100M - $120M range, not the $300M range.

6-year minor-league free agency: basically, no player will sign a deal to stay in your farm system for a seventh year (but if you've promoted them to the bigs, they're willing to stay on).

The combination of those last two almost imply a difference between a 'major league' contract and a 'minor league' contract - which might make it a perfect dovetail with the 40-man roster. A 'minor league' contract might be one that doesn't consume space on the 40-man roster, while a 'major league' contract *does* require space on the 40-man roster - though the player could be assigned to the minors. Free agents who receive a 'minor league' offer from one team and a 'major league' offer from another would always take the 'major league' offer.

That would prevent you from locking up minor-leaguers for ten years with long minor-league contracts.

(Rule 5 might follow pretty naturally, at that juncture.)

LOVE all of it. I kind of stated some of that partially early in the thread. Rule 5 would be amazing. Waiver wire and Arbitration would be nice too.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 70
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 4:48:26 AM   
Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Sound triggers -- for the 7th inning stretch, and for Cubs fans, I got the legendary Harry Caray in an mp3 of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".   We need instructions on how to introduce sound triggers, so we can add customized sounds for the in-game manager experience.  

More generic background sounds need to be added. The present ones are good, but we need more variety.  A "sound profile" for a specific park would be ideal.   Hints on how to user-construct such a profile would suffice, IF it could be made part of the user-editable features. 

Really really like that idea. A option page full of "trigger types" eg "7th inning stretch" and a text box to point to the mp3 sound.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 71
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 4:59:03 AM   
SittingDuck

In regards to sounds, I would absolutely love if we could have random sounds for various things.  For example, bb1, bb2, bb3, etc for base-on-balls and allow us to add as many as we choose.  And the program randomly chooses from those sounds.  This all might be something for PS2008, but however it can be allowed that we can add in extra files by a default filename (such as 'out', 'strikeout', 'doubleplay', etc) and add a number after it, then the program will choose from one.

If that makes sense.

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 72
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 5:06:08 AM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

In game box scores!!  Another key piece of information to have in order to manage effectively.

An absolute must!

BTW, please go back to the "old player card look". I've never said this (because I hate to be negative toward PS), but I've detested the scrolling "player cards" from day one.

I came around on the "animated ball flight" -- but I refuse to budge on this player card thing. I just much preferred the old style.

< Message edited by Beach23BoyP -- 7/29/2006 8:31:38 AM >

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 73
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 5:09:24 AM   
VanScoy

I do not like how free agent amateurs generated by the game have some pretty hefty ratings. I always thought these players should be a little above scrubs but certainly not much better than guys you have in your farm systems.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 74
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 5:56:05 AM   
SittingDuck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beach23Boy

BTW, please go back to the "old player card look". I've never said this (because I hate to be negative toward PS), but I've detested the scrolling "player cards" from day one.

I came around on the "animated ball flight" -- but I refuse to budge on this player card thing. I just much preferred the old style.

How on earth are you going to get 20+ years of a guy's career stats on a non-scrolling card?

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 75
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 6:23:59 AM   
pbot

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I would like to see the amateur draft guys signed to "minor league" value contracts right out of the draft.  Drives me nuts to see my first round pick sign for several million despite the fact that he is 19 and has no big league experience.  I would rather see something along the lines of the minor league and/or minimum salary while players develop in the minors, and then have them go for the big deals once they are free agent eligible in the big leagues.  Along those lines instead of an option to sign amateur draftees to varying length and value contracts, perhaps assign all draftees a standard "x" years minor league deal.  Once promoted to the majors then the minimum salary kicks in.

Post #: 76
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 6:25:27 AM   
JimboJ

Please stop asking me if I want the runner to tag up and go to second on a fly ball.  If the ball is hit into the corner, and the fielder falls down after making the catch, then go ahead and send the runner and I'll take my chances.  Otherwise, NO I do not want the runner to tag up.

< Message edited by JimboJ -- 7/29/2006 6:26:14 AM >

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 77
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 7:01:04 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: JimboJ

Please stop asking me if I want the runner to tag up and go to second on a fly ball.  If the ball is hit into the corner, and the fielder falls down after making the catch, then go ahead and send the runner and I'll take my chances.  Otherwise, NO I do not want the runner to tag up.

Jimbo, sorry, but I like that feature, and I believe most of us want it to stay in. I'm pretty sure this feature is a lock -in. In this game, as a manager, I'm also the base coaches.

Your decision-making should affect the behavior of your team when it comes to judging when to run aggressively or play it safe. To expect the AI routine to make decisions like this is expecting too much, IMHO. This feature is a keeper.

Now, you may accuse me of micromanaging, BUT, I can't do anything about pitch selection. I can set the outfield to play shallow, but if that guy on the mound serves up a fastball over the plate and the batter slams it over the left-fielder's head for a game-winning double, who's fault is it? Mine, of course.

It isn't micromanaging -- it's accepting responsibility.

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 78
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 7:10:49 AM   
JimboJ

quote:

quote:

Jimbo, sorry, but I like that feature, and I believe most of us want it to stay in. I'm pretty sure this feature is a lock -in. In this game, as a manager, I'm also the base coaches.

Your decision-making should affect the behavior of your team when it comes to judging when to run aggressively or play it safe. To expect the AI routine to make decisions like this is expecting too much, IMHO. This feature is a keeper.

Now, you may accuse me of micromanaging, BUT, I can't do anything about pitch selection. I can set the outfield to play shallow, but if that guy on the mound serves up a fastball over the plate and the batter slams it over the left-fielder's head for a game-winning double, who's fault is it? Mine, of course.

KG - I like the feature too, but why does it ask me if I want to tag up at first base, but not third base? That is a bug as far as I'm concerned. I'm all for playing the role of the base coach, but when was the last time you saw a runner tag up at first base?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 79
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 8:19:44 AM   
CrashDavis

#1 - Ability to turn on/off financials, AI trades, injuries, after an association as been started. Even if it means only being able to do so during the off season (in-between seasons).
#2 - Including "special occurences" in the Almanac: No-Hitters/Perfect Games, Batter/Pitcher Triple Crown Winners, 40HR/40SB achievers.
#3 - Inclusion of Individual Fielding stats (Best/Worst by position) in the Statistics section.
#4 - A re-write/update of the Sample-Addins source.

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 80
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 8:26:58 AM   
rwd59

An option to allow rookies to be placed on their original team in place of the amateur draft.

(in reply to CrashDavis)
Post #: 81
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 8:29:58 AM   
motnahp

With PS 2007, it seems as if there has been an explosion of simmers using actual players, doing replays, etc. September expansion to 40-man rosters is essential for maintaining statistical accuracy. Also: During season replays, I would love to see the AI recognize ACTUAL Innings Pitches & At-Bats and adjust rosters and lineups accordingly. This would allow that 5-point scrub to get his handful of at-bats.

(in reply to CrashDavis)
Post #: 82
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 8:32:59 AM   
PadresFan104

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please stop asking me if I want the runner to tag up and go to second on a fly ball. If the ball is hit into the corner, and the fielder falls down after making the catch, then go ahead and send the runner and I'll take my chances. Otherwise, NO I do not want the runner to tag up.

KG - I like the feature too, but why does it ask me if I want to tag up at first base, but not third base? That is a bug as far as I'm concerned. I'm all for playing the role of the base coach, but when was the last time you saw a runner tag up at first base?

I could have sworn that the game asks you if you want to tag up at third too... I'll have to watch for it...

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 83
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 8:35:44 AM   
Beach23BoyP

The player card just kept on going. No scrolling. Sure the player photo and the ratings, etc disappeared at the top of the screen. But you didn't have the headers disappear -- unless the guy had a 30 year career. You could get a feel for a guy's entire career, not just 5 years or so. Now you have to go to the almanac.

I just much preferred the old player card myself. I might be the only one that feels that way. But that is the way it was for two (maybe three) years or more.

< Message edited by Beach23BoyP -- 7/29/2006 8:37:56 AM >

Post #: 84
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 9:38:30 AM   
jono

Initials of the league teams are in when they make trades (i.e. AL, NL), or the city name and the team nickname.  I'm playing a 1948 Fictional Season using the Major League team names that played that year and 5 cities have teams in both leagues.  It's very confusing to read the PSPN when it tells you that New York and Chicago made a pretty big trade.  You're trying to figure out if it was the Yankees or the Giants trading with the White Sox or the Cubs.  You click on the link to the player and it just tells you the city name on top of the card not the league so I end up going to the players game log to see what league he was in to figure out the team. 

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 85
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 3:16:30 PM   
henry296

My team names are New York (A) for the Yankees.  if needed, I think you can edit them on the team screen.

(in reply to jono)
Post #: 86
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 4:24:44 PM   
Abev

quote:

quote:

All due respect KG, at no time should a first base coach be telling *anyone* to tag up. MAYBE in little league. But certainly not beyond that, and definately not in the major leagues. Every ball hit to the outfield is in front of the runner on first, he can see it all just like the coach can. This is like the fielders yelling "lefty" when a left handed batter steps to the plate.

The third base coach should not be telling anyone to tag. It is the runner on thirds responsibilty to tag on everything hit in the outfield; line drive, fly ball, even home run. Now whether or not the third base coach stops the runner is something different all together.

At most this feature should be set as a manager style; "aggressive or conservative tag ups." I dont think this question should be asked during game play. If the "manager style" option is not available, An option to shut off the "ask on tag ups" would be nice, and the runners would advance at their own discretion.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 87
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 4:31:35 PM   
renojedi

Ok, my top five, in five different posts.

#5 Allow a team to relocate.

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 88
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 4:33:18 PM   
renojedi

My #4 suggestion

Being able to print from any screen so we can print team statistics, depth charts, or even a player card. Sending to a spreadsheet is just not the same. Maybe we could even have those team reports I mentioned have the team logo on it to add authenticity.

< Message edited by renojedi -- 7/29/2006 4:42:32 PM >

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 89
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/29/2006 4:34:43 PM   
renojedi

#3: Options and the waiver process. I know there was a problem before but we need some solution to the stocking Triple A with superstars problem. Someone also mentioned Rule 5 draft. That could also be part of this.

(in reply to renojedi)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI