Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Printed Manual?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Printed Manual? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Printed Manual? - 8/3/2006 7:39:14 AM   
squidkip

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this. I'm simply wondering if the boxed version of TOAW 3 has a printed manual? I sure hope so... I miss the days of chunky manuals:)
Post #: 1
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/3/2006 8:29:28 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: squidkip

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this. I'm simply wondering if the boxed version of TOAW 3 has a printed manual? I sure hope so... I miss the days of chunky manuals:)

The manual is on a PDF file, and can be printed if you so desire. If you've got a printer, then you can have a printed manual...

(in reply to squidkip)
Post #: 2
Printed Manual? - 8/3/2006 8:54:09 AM   
larryfulkerson

I heard one user took the pdf file to kinkos and had them print it and bound it for him for less than $20

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/3/2006 10:00:06 AM   
squidkip

thanks for the info:) I mostly wanted to know if the boxed game had a printed manual vd. a pdf...I think I will opt for the download version and take a trip to kinkos:) No sense in using up all my ink on what must be a whopper of manual:)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/17/2006 2:15:28 PM   
KarlXII

I also miss the days you got real manuals with the boxed versions. It was always a special feeling to own the brick. I also think that would decrease piracy a bit because if the difference between having a copy and the original decreases I think more would choose to get a pirated copy because they feel they don´t get anything other owning the original except from the box and a printed cd. The manual makes it all in my eyes.

(in reply to squidkip)
Post #: 5
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/17/2006 5:04:09 PM   
GreenDestiny

I don't know… But they always say that it would cost them too much to have a printed manual for their games. But then I see games like Hearts of Iron II Doomsday and Civilization IV Warlords come out with a 150 page manual for their games that are 20 to 30 dollars that makes me wonder if they are really telling the truth.

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 6
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/17/2006 6:42:08 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreenDestiny

I don't know… But they always say that it would cost them too much to have a printed manual for their games. But then I see games like Hearts of Iron II Doomsday and Civilization IV Warlords come out with a 150 page manual for their games that are 20 to 30 dollars that makes me wonder if they are really telling the truth.

Economies of scale. Smaller print runs are more expensive on a per unit basis than larger print runs. When you are reasonably assured of shipping (including simply moving product into the retail sector) several hundred thousand units, in a relatively short time, you can get the print costs down far more than you can if you are looking to ship 50,000 over a several year "lifetime" of the product.

It's just one of the ugly economic realities of operating in a long-term, niche market, rather than a short life cycled, mass market.

(in reply to GreenDestiny)
Post #: 7
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/17/2006 9:19:11 PM   
GreenDestiny

What about BattleFront and Shrapnel Games they don't seem to have this problem.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 8
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/17/2006 9:48:38 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreenDestiny

What about BattleFront and Shrapnel Games they don't seem to have this problem.

They have the same "problem". Whether they choose to eat the costs, and provide a printed manual at the expense of greater profitability is a decision they make in accordance with their own particular business model.

Post #: 9
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/18/2006 6:45:58 AM   
GreenDestiny

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
They have the same "problem". Whether they choose to eat the costs, and provide a printed manual at the expense of greater profitability is a decision they make in accordance with their own particular business model.

Yep…Now that's a good honest answer.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 10
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/18/2006 7:49:54 AM   
rich12545

Not all games at Battlefront and Shrapnel come with printed manuals.  I recently bought Tacops from BF and it didn't.  Looked into the two Steel Panther games at SG and they don't.  I think it depends on who makes the game, not who the publisher is.

Post #: 11
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/18/2006 7:59:52 AM   
ravinhood

Lol another MANUAL thread for ME!!! ;) Nah, I've stated it enough. Matrixgames by now knows my stand on printed manuals. ;)

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 12
RE: Printed Manual? - 8/18/2006 11:24:54 AM   
KarlXII

Why aren´t there any sales or discounts on older titles at Matrix. I surely would buy more games like Battles for Normandy/Italy if there would be a price reduction. Those games are a couple of years old. Also, digital download doesn´t bring any costs to the company so why should the prices still be the same as the prices for games in my store which comes with box, printed cd and manual ? I can understand the price level at the new release and for a year forward but I am sure there would be increased sales if they could be a little lower.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
RE: Printed Manual? - 9/1/2006 10:22:07 PM   
Janet Reno

My 2 cents. I can see no printed manual as another source of profit for game makers but the least they could do is do away with full sized, ink intensive, sheets of nothing but their logo or another type of wasted picture. One should have the option of hitting "print all" at a high resolution with nothing but needed text and pictures. especially when print cartrages cost 30.00 or so.

"You can get further with a gun and a kind word than just a kind word alone"-Al Capone

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Printed Manual? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI