Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Baserunning

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Baserunning Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Baserunning - 8/3/2006 6:32:43 AM   
guigsy

I am enjoying Puresim very much, but I am becoming frustrated by the poor baserunning when managing my team. Here are my examples:

- Runners (with high speed ratings) rarely score from second base on a single to the OF with 2 outs.
- Runners on first not scoring on a hit and run double.
- Runners with speed not going from first base to third base on a single to right field.

I have tried tweaking the baserunning settings in the xml file, but to no avail. Unfortunately this poor baserunning affects the overall stats. I played a game the other day where I scored 1 run on 12 hits.

Again I really like this game, so if anyone knows how to fix the baserunning please let me know.

John
Post #: 1
RE: Baserunning - 8/3/2006 7:50:01 AM   
PadresFan104

I've seen the baseunning improve a lot since version 1.20, what version are you using?

(in reply to guigsy)
Post #: 2
RE: Baserunning - 8/3/2006 5:05:43 PM   
guigsy

John

(in reply to guigsy)
Post #: 3
RE: Baserunning - 8/3/2006 6:35:40 PM   
PadresFan104

Well, I consider myself both a power user and a baseball guy, and in the last 30 or so games I've managed I can't say that I've had a problem with the baserunning, except for one bug Shaun fixed (runners not advancing correctly on an error with 2 outs.)

I'm scoring lots of runs by advancing my 6,7,8 (out of 10) rated runners to second and then getting a single to the OF. (It's better to have the hit be to center or right).  And my runners with speed almost always make it to third on a single to right.

Like I said, I think Shaun has really dialed this in, so I'm not sure why our opinions are different.

(in reply to guigsy)
Post #: 4
RE: Baserunning - 8/3/2006 7:08:23 PM   
scott32671

I am fairly new, but have been managing a ton of games, and have not had a problem with the baserunning either. I however, just follow situational rules, kind of like what PadresFan said, i will move the runner from 1st to 3rd on hits to right or in the gap, and with sp's of 6-9 have had moderate success. I am rather aggresive and WILL test some arms to get ahead in the game, and do sometimes get gunned down. I don't know if this helps at all or not. If it doesn't just tell me to hush and i will

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 5
RE: Baserunning - 8/3/2006 7:26:10 PM   
PadresFan104

ANY feedback is always welcome Scott.  We need more involvement around here, not less!  

(in reply to scott32671)
Post #: 6
RE: Baserunning - 8/3/2006 7:57:47 PM   
scott32671

Thanks P I really enjoy these forums, and when i can offer up some banter, i jump in. I really appreciate how everyone is MORE than generious on help and how much input is welcome. I really seems to ADD to the game itself. I hope this is the case indefinitely.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 7
RE: Baserunning - 8/3/2006 8:51:54 PM   
Amaroq

Yeah, I'd like to encourage people to jump in more frequently - there are certainly some of us who have been around a lot, but often questions fall in the gaps like a bloop single. Scott, you're articulate and smart, don't back off from posting if you're the first one to the plate!

guigsy, I'm not particularly frustrated with the baserunning, either - I do see runners scoring from second on a 2-out single, or going from first to third on a single (especially with 2 outs).

It sounds like your expectation is different from mine - maybe that's because I watch the decrepit Giants, so any extra-base advance is a rarity.

What's your mental cutoff for 'with speed?'

I think of guys below '50' as being 'slow', and even guys in the mid-to-high '60's as being fairly average, not a speed candidate. Its only the '70' and above characters that I expect to routinely perform better than station-to-station. Guys above '80' are the only ones whom I expect to see stealing bases regularly, and breaking the game with their blinding speed.

That sort of follows from my map of the ratings T-scale - 0-25 = A, 26-50 = AA, 51-70 = AAA, 71+ = big leaguer. 50 doesn't equal 'big league average', its well below the average big leaguer.

With that in mind, and knowing that speed (or the fielding stats) doesn't improve with potential, I typically draft *for speed*: I think I have only one or two sluggers who are below 50 speed, with a some of my club in the 51-65 range, the majority of my day-to-day players in the 65-75 range, and a couple bench speedsters beyond that. With that breakdown, I see plenty of two-base advances - maybe my team is significantly faster than yours on average?

I'd try changing your team composition first.

If that doesn't work - or you're already a fast team - you can play with the .XML file. You can find the section entitled BASE_RUNNING, and change the values of "Value" and "SpeedMult" according to the comment above - I think lowering the 'Value' increases the chance that a runner will try for extra bases, and raising the 'SpeedMult' makes it more likely for the attempt to succeed.

quote:

- Runners on first not scoring on a hit and run double.

That I'm not seeing, either - I wonder if its a minor oversight in the sim engine?

< Message edited by Amaroq -- 8/3/2006 8:52:34 PM >

(in reply to scott32671)
Post #: 8
RE: Baserunning - 8/3/2006 10:21:33 PM   
rcr1969

Hello,

I am kinda new to PS and mostly look on the forums.  I personally have not had any issues either but did want to find out if everyone is using the standard xml file distributed with the game.  Could tweaks in the xml file make a difference on the outcomes of baserunning?

Thanks!

rob.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 9
RE: Baserunning - 8/3/2006 11:15:47 PM   
Amaroq

Definitely - if you make tweaks to the section I described, it would impact the outcome.

Modifying other sections can have knock-on-effects - unintended consequences. For example, SittingDuck's trade AI modifications put less emphasis on fielding for the AI teams - which might make errors and unearned runs more common, or increase batting averages due to more hits falling in which would have been caught with the default .XML file. That's why, any .XML changes, you want to 'test' on an unattended auto-play league, giving them a good 20 seasons if you can.

Also, as PadresFan indicates, the version of the game impacts it as well - if you're using the latest beta patches, your baserunning should be in better shape than somebody with the unpatched 1.00.

(in reply to rcr1969)
Post #: 10
RE: Baserunning - 8/4/2006 12:12:21 AM   
verizon32

Maybe he is seeing this in games you sim out from the gamelog?

Maybe he is not managing the games. 

Hopefully games you sim and games you manage are the same engine that give the same result in baserunning.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 11
RE: Baserunning - 8/4/2006 3:40:02 PM   
rcr1969

Amaraq,

Thank you for the reply.

I also wanted to mention how much I LOVE THIS GAME! I am another one of those people that came from OOTP.  During all the issues with the OOTP release I heard about PS and thought I would give it a try.  Before this I tried Baseball Mogul and was not very impressed.  PureSim is perfect for me.  Sometimes I feel that OOTP is too involved and designed more for Baseball simulation experts.  I am by no means an expert and just want a game that is not too involved but has enough detail to make it fun.  Puresim is that game for me.  I am enjoying playing my current season/league and will continue, waiting for the next version to arrive.

Thanks to all involved for a wonderful game.

Sincerely,

Rob.

(in reply to verizon32)
Post #: 12
RE: Baserunning - 8/4/2006 5:04:08 PM   
Deltadog

quote:

ORIGINAL: verizon32

Hopefully games you sim and games you manage are the same engine that give the same result in baserunning.

Before I purchased this game, I specifically asked if the game uses the same engine when it sims a game as it does when a game is managed or watched. I was concerned with this issue as Maximum Football does not. Fbpro did not either and in both cases the results are/were vastly differant depending on the mode used to run the game. Shaun answered my question saying that the same engine is used regardless how the game is run, sim or watch/managed.

(in reply to verizon32)
Post #: 13
RE: Baserunning - 8/5/2006 9:29:11 PM   
guigsy

Thanks for all the info. I have changed the settings in the XML file and it does help quite a bit. But am I wrong in thinking a runner with a speed rating of 42 should score from second on a single to right field with 2 outs?

Shaun could this be an option on the next version where the user has control of the runner trying for an extra base?

Thanks
John

(in reply to guigsy)
Post #: 14
RE: Baserunning - 8/5/2006 9:35:46 PM   
akcranker

quote:

ORIGINAL: guigsy

Thanks for all the info. I have changed the settings in the XML file and it does help quite a bit. But am I wrong in thinking a runner with a speed rating of 42 should score from second on a single to right field with 2 outs?

Shaun could this be an option on the next version where the user has control of the runner trying for an extra base?

Thanks
John

I personally wouldn't think a runner with a speed of 42 would always make it from second to home in that situation. A speed of 42 is pretty slow in my book. Now a guy with speed around 60 and above should.

(in reply to guigsy)
Post #: 15
RE: Baserunning - 8/5/2006 9:47:06 PM   
SittingDuck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

Modifying other sections can have knock-on-effects - unintended consequences. For example, SittingDuck's trade AI modifications put less emphasis on fielding for the AI teams - which might make errors and unearned runs more common, or increase batting averages due to more hits falling in which would have been caught with the default .XML file. That's why, any .XML changes, you want to 'test' on an unattended auto-play league, giving them a good 20 seasons if you can.

Actually, I've increased the value of fielding. I think I had made it ZERO at one point? But can't recall.

Anyhow, it is now actually a good bit higher than default. Maybe 300% increased (to match the hitting and pitching bumps).

But I do understand your 'knock-on' principle. I like that phrase.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 16
RE: Baserunning - 8/5/2006 11:23:09 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: guigsy

Thanks
John

I'll add it to the list of possible things to add, thanks.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to guigsy)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Baserunning Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI