Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 4:17:29 PM   
Manic Inertia

• Hi Ullern.

Let me start by stating that;

• I have no idea how to create or edit maps, so my thoughts and comments should be viewed with that in mind, and the maps above are fantastic, awesome, brilliant, and have fired my enthusiasm for MWiF beyond where it already was, which is some acheivement, let me tell you!
  • However, with respect, I wonder whether all that superb detail is going to be potentially confusing, particularly all the tiny islands off the norwegian coast: the straits hexsides seem somehow lost amidst all that detail, and where I have no doubt that the changes to the rail lines are extremely well informed (and consequently a very good idea), the fine detailing of the coasts might be better if it remains a little more simplified.

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 91
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 4:54:44 PM   
c92nichj

To add a lake to the map it should atleast be big enough to cover a hexside otherwise it does not have any impact on gameplay, Hjälmaren probably is big enough for that but I doubt that Siljan, Mjösa or Femunden is big enough.
See below a picture of the lakes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 92
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 5:02:05 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: c92nichj

To add a lake to the map it should atleast be big enough to cover a hexside otherwise it does not have any impact on gameplay, Hjälmaren probably is big enough for that but I doubt that Siljan, Mjösa or Femunden is big enough.

That is true, but look at the number of lakes in Finland and northern Sweden. I think they are oversized and maybe too many. But I know they may be placed there for game purposes. Hampering those 4MP inf units etc. Mjøsa can easily prevent movement east-west along 1 hex side. It's about 120 km long and definitely wide enough that you can't place a bridge (during WW2) to cross.

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 93
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 6:15:00 PM   
JagdFlanker

had these in my 'map collection' so i figured i'd post them just in case they can be of any help to the discussion. great job!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Peter Stauffenberg)
Post #: 94
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 6:16:20 PM   
JagdFlanker

and...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 95
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 6:24:05 PM   
Froonp

quote:

had these in my 'map collection' so i figured i'd post them just in case they can be of any help to the discussion. great job!

I have these maps too (post #94) in my own 'map collection' too
I used the one to the right to draw the coastlines that Nills (ullern) showed here to you (post #88).
My opinion is that those new coastlines I drew are far far far more right than the first ones.

Also, Manic Inertia wrote :
quote:

However, with respect, I wonder whether all that superb detail is going to be potentially confusing, particularly all the tiny islands off the norwegian coast: the straits hexsides seem somehow lost amidst all that detail, and where I have no doubt that the changes to the rail lines are extremely well informed (and consequently a very good idea), the fine detailing of the coasts might be better if it remains a little more simplified.

I did this this way for my pleasure only. The graphic artist will do it the way he sees fit. I suppose he will use inspiration from my coastlines to save times, but I think he'll redrawn them completely.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 8/6/2006 6:35:40 PM >

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 96
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 6:35:54 PM   
Froonp

quote:

An hex is between 70 to 100 km from side to side, depending on the place. In Scandinavia, it is closer to 70 km per hex. So, a lake to be placed on the map should be as long as the lengh of an hexside of an hexagon measuring about 75-80 km across. I did not calculate how long this makes, but I think that a 50-60 km long lake (Femunden as I seem to measure in on Google Earth) can be on the map to cover 1 hexside.
I don't known where Hjälmaren or Siljan are, but I'm ready to make them to the map if they are long enough and if it is possible given the rest of the things that are on their place on the map.

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 97
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 7:15:30 PM   
Ullern

I completetly agree with everything said about lakes above, also Nicklas' comments really. Because it's just so easy for a Norwegian to want to have both Mjøsa and Femunden on the map.

I vont cast any vote. But Patrice comments made me think of another way to measure size of lakes, that are maybe just as relevant:
How long are the lakes? (Ie. what chance that they block an axis of advance.)

Here is what I found:
Femunden 55 km
Mjøsa 90 km
Vättern 130 km
Hjälmaren 70 km
Siljan 40 km

Vänern I didn't measure beacuse it so unbelivably big

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 98
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 8:57:57 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: ullern
I completetly agree with everything said about lakes above, also Nicklas' comments really. Because it's just so easy for a Norwegian to want to have both Mjøsa and Femunden on the map.

I vont cast any vote. But Patrice comments made me think of another way to measure size of lakes, that are maybe just as relevant:
How long are the lakes? (Ie. what chance that they block an axis of advance.)

Here is what I found:
Femunden 55 km
Mjøsa 90 km
Vättern 130 km
Hjälmaren 70 km
Siljan 40 km

Vänern I didn't measure beacuse it so unbelivably big

I agree the the length of the lake is more important than its surface area. Also the shape and placement. If you look at the map posted earlier showing German troop movements, it is clear they went around Mjøsa to the east and west. Lakes are really only on the map for 2 purposes: (1) to make it pretty, and (2) to affect game play. For the latter, it is a question of for which hexsides is movement prevented, or for very large lakes, an entire hex becoming a lake hex.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 99
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 9:04:02 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Hjälmaren 70 km
Siljan 40 km

Where are those lakes ?

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 100
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 9:26:24 PM   
Toed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Hjälmaren 70 km
Siljan 40 km

Where are those lakes ?

Borrowed one of the maps and put the names in hope it helps.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 101
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 9:28:10 PM   
Froonp

Here is what the map looks like, with the modification unanimously adopted (well, I also changed Karlsrona, even if it is not at 100% YES), and the latest proposal of ullern (with the railway to Bergen & Alpine hexsides slightly modified), and with the proposal for the Sea Area Boundary between the North Sea and the Norwegian Sea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 102
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 9:30:56 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toed
Borrowed one of the maps and put the names in hope it helps.

Yes, it helps.
Unfortunately, Hjälmaren cannot be placed, because either it will connect to the Vättern, or the the lake / water area south of Stockholm. On the 3rd hexside there is the railway.

Siljan is too small. But I'm ok to add it if you all want it.

(in reply to Toed)
Post #: 103
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 9:43:18 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

Yes, it helps.
Unfortunately, Hjälmaren cannot be placed, because either it will connect to the Vättern, or the the lake / water area south of Stockholm. On the 3rd hexside there is the railway.

How about moving the rail one hex west and put Hjalmaren on the hexside between the coase and lake there?

Can Siljan be a river hexside with a lake graphic? The effect would be close to what you want...

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 104
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 9:48:03 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99
quote:

Yes, it helps.

How about moving the rail one hex west and put Hjalmaren on the hexside between the coase and lake there?

Great idea !! I don't understand what the "coase" is, but I suppose you meant to put the Hjälmaren on the hexside where the rail was before being moved to the hex to the west.
What do others think ?

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 105
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 9:59:20 PM   
Froonp

Here is the status of the votes, having removed those who are added to the map above already.

Tampere (35,47) (Borger) : Add. Third largest city.
6 Voters : 50 % YES, 50 % NO.
City / Finland

Finnish Borderlands 1a (33,52) (Borger) : Become Finnish. No more Finnish borderlands.
5 Voters : 20 % YES, 80 % NO.
Country / Finland

Finnish Borderlands 1b (34,52) (Borger) : Become Finnish. No more Finnish borderlands.
Country / Finland

Finnish Borderlands 1c (33,54) (Borger) : Become Russian. No more Finnish borderlands.
5 Voters : 60 % YES, 40 % NO.
Country / Finland

Lake Femunden (34,38 E) (Borger) : Remove.
5 Voters : 40 % YES, 60 % NO.
Lake / Norway

Lake Mjøsa (Mjosa) (36,38 E, NE) (Borger) : Add.
4 Voters : 75 % YES, 25 % NO.
Lake / Norway

NEW Lake Hjälmaren (39,41 NW) (c92nichj) : Add.
1 Voters : 100 % YES, 0 % NO.
Lake /

Boden Fortified (27,46) (Toed) : Fortify hex all directions
5 Voters : 80 % YES, 20 % NO.
Fortification / Sweden

Boden (27,46) (Borger) : Renamme Luleå (Lulea).
6 Voters : 83 % YES, 17 % NO.
Minor Port / Sweden

Bodø (Bodo) (26,41) (Borger) : Add. For supply reasons.
6 Voters : 50 % YES, 50 % NO.
Minor Port / Norway

Kirkenes (21,51) (ullern) : Add. For supply reasons.
4 Voters : 0 % YES, 100 % NO.
Minor Port / Norway

Tromsø (Tromso) (21,46) (Borger) : Add. For supply reasons.
6 Voters : 83 % YES, 17 % NO.
Minor Port / Norway

Turku (37,46) (Borger) : Add. Second largest Finnish city.
6 Voters : 67 % YES, 33 % NO.
Minor Port / Finland

Iron ore of Gällivare & Kiruna 2 (24,45) (c92nichj) : Move 1 hex SE.
Resource / Sweden

Clear hex (Resource) (40,35) (ullern) : Change to Mountain.
4 Voters : 50 % YES, 50 % NO.
Terrain / Norway

Glacier Svartisen (26,41) (Borger) : Move the ice 1 hex SE. This glacier should be placed close to Swedish border.
Terrain / Norway

The mods who were made are :

Gothenburg
Vänern
Vättern
Karlskrona
Railroad Gothenburg-Stockholm
Iron ore of Gällivare & Kiruna 1
Strait from Copenhagen to Malmo
Strait from Helsingor (NW Copenhagen) to Helsingborg (NW Malmo)
Clear hex (Røros, east of lake) 2
Clear hex (Finnmark)
Coast south of Vaasa 2
Mountain hex 35,37 Changed to Forest.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 106
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 10:11:22 PM   
Toed

quote:

Lake /
I would have to vote No. Seems to me that Mälaren (the lake west of Stockholm) and Hjälmaren are already represented as one lake on current map. Not perfect but better than this movement in my opinion.

I have one more suggestion. How about naming Gothenburg by its Swedish name of Göteborg. Seems to fit in with the usage of åäö in other Nordic names.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 107
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 10:29:16 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I would have to vote No. Seems to me that Mälaren (the lake west of Stockholm) and Hjälmaren are already represented as one lake on current map. Not perfect but better than this movement in my opinion.

Humm, you may be right, and adding Hjälmaren in the place where the railway was if moved west is not as good as I thought initialy.

(in reply to Toed)
Post #: 108
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/6/2006 11:01:19 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Removing those with 100% No is worth doing too.

On renaming Boden, this is only text, with no effect on game play. So let's call it "Luleå (Boden)" putting both names on the map. There's nothing else happening up there so it doesn't create clutter.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 109
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 11:31:08 AM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

I have one more suggestion. How about naming Gothenburg by its Swedish name of Göteborg. Seems to fit in with the usage of åäö in other Nordic names.

If we do this the we have to change the spelling to native language for a lot of cities. To name a few:
* Copenhagen => København
* Munich => München
* Nuremberg => Nürnberg
* Cologne => Köln
* Moscow => Moskva
* Warsaw => Warszawa
* Vienna => Wien
* Prague => Praha

I guess you get my point. So I think we can use the English spelling of the city if such a name exists. For many of the
smaller Nordic cities there simply are no English spelling. What they simply do is to make the ø (ö) become o, æ (ä)
become a or e and å become a. For example Malmo instead of Malmö, Tromso instead of Tromsø, Bodo instead of Bodø,
Alesund instead of Ålesund.

I think we can live with those minor "mistakes". I don't know if all people can read Scandinavian letters with the Windows
Western European (ISO encoding or some of the other encodings. If the answer is yes then we can easily write Tromsø,
but if some players see the ? sign or some other strange letter instead of the ø then we should write Tromso so we ensure
the name is readable to everybody. I can't answer this question because I use an encoding showing the Scandinavian letters
correctly. Our main focus should be to make those cities readable for every player and make every player have a feeling of
where this city is located. I think a lot of people know Copenhagen, but then maybe don't know the local København. So if they
see a local city they have never heard about before they may start wondering if it's the same as the city they know in the
area.

So I feel we can easily use the English spelling for the cities on the MWIF map. I'm so used to them from every wargame I've
played so won't mind.

(in reply to Toed)
Post #: 110
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 11:37:57 AM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

quote:

Lake /

Maybe we can try an alternative way.

* We remove the NW hexside of lake Mälaren in the hex 1xNE of the port Norrköping. We also remove the strait arrows.
* Now lake Hjälmaren can be placed in the NE hexside in the hex 1xNW of the port Norrköping.

I think lake Mälaren is maybe too long and by doing this we have room to add lake Hjälmaren. Is this a good idea?

Here is some interesting information about lake Mälaren:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1494949

It was earlier a salt water fjord and only turned into a lake during the 12th century.

< Message edited by Borger Borgersen -- 8/7/2006 11:42:32 AM >

(in reply to Toed)
Post #: 111
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 11:47:58 AM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

Lake /

I vote YES to this if we make lake Mälaren 1 hexside smaller.

quote:

Boden Fortified (27,46) (Toed) : Fortify hex all directions
5 Voters : 80 % YES, 20 % NO.
Fortification / Sweden

I vote YES to this. Will the hex then be called Luleå / Boden? I fort here could
help Sweden defend against an attack from Finnish territory.

Post #: 112
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 11:52:43 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Borger Borgersen
quote:

quote:

Lake /

Maybe we can try an alternative way.

* We remove the NW hexside of lake Mälaren in the hex 1xNE of the port Norrköping. We also remove the strait arrows.
* Now lake Hjälmaren can be placed in the NE hexside in the hex 1xNW of the port Norrköping.

I think lake Mälaren is maybe too long and by doing this we have room to add lake Hjälmaren. Is this a good idea?

Here is some interesting information about lake Mälaren:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1494949

It was earlier a salt water fjord and only turned into a lake during the 12th century.

I think the best is to leave it as it is .

Post #: 113
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 11:53:12 AM   
Peter Stauffenberg

I also vote YES to move Bergen and the rail line to Bergen the way it's shown on the latest MWIF map of Scandinavia. Now the
coast lines look really nice. Some of the tiny islands could maybe be removed, but besides that I think the look of the fjords there are very good.

It's so good I hope a similar great job could be done to the look of the coast lines further north in Norway (without changing the terrain in the hexes). I think particularly about the area from Trondheim to Narvik and the Lofoten and Vesterålen area north west of Narvik. It is possible to have a try and post the new coast lines here for us to enjoy?

Post #: 114
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 11:55:58 AM   
Froonp

In the sum up of votes yesterdays I forgot one :

NEW Sea Zone Boundary North Sea - Norwegian Sea () (ullern) : Go to hex (33,34), halfway between Trondheim & Bergen.
2 Voters : 100 % YES, 0 % NO.
Sea Zone /

Post #: 115
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 12:01:55 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I also vote YES to move Bergen and the rail line to Bergen the way it's shown on the latest MWIF map of Scandinavia. Now the coast lines look really nice. Some of the tiny islands could maybe be removed, but besides that I think the look of the fjords there are very good.

Thanks for the comment.
I agree for the tiny islands, I used too much the copy paste feature .

quote:

It's so good I hope a similar great job could be done to the look of the coast lines further north in Norway (without changing the terrain in the hexes). I think particularly about the area from Trondheim to Narvik and the Lofoten and Vesterålen area north west of Narvik. It is possible to have a try and post the new coast lines here for us to enjoy?

I would love too.
But I have troubles finding a map simple enough to re-draw in onthe MWiF map. A map simple enough for me is for example the one posted on post #94. I used the one on the right to make the Kristiansand to Trondheim coasts.

Would the one of post #94 on the left would be good enough for the coastlines ?

Post #: 116
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 12:05:52 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

I also wonder if the lake in northern Sweden (just south of the resources) is maybe too big. Lake Hornavan? It covers 4 hexsides and seems to be bigger than even lake Vänern and lake Vättern. That can't be true.

Look at this link for a map of these lakes in northern Sweden:
http://www.map-of-sweden.co.uk/map-of-norrbotten.htm

I know the Mercator distortion is bigger here and therefore it can look bigger than it is. But I propose to make the lake look thinner similar to the other lakes in the north of Sweden and maybe remove north-westernmost hexside that crosses the Norwegian border. Then you have a 3 hexside lake that is still quite big. If it's drawn a bit thinner then it doesn't look so dominant.

What do you think?

Is it just my eyes deceiving me or has the hexgrid disappeared inside the Russian lake Onega and in the NW corner of lake Ladoga?

Post #: 117
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 12:16:22 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I also wonder if the lake in northern Sweden (just south of the resources) is maybe too big. Lake Hornavan? It covers 4 hexsides and seems to be bigger than even lake Vänern and lake Vättern. That can't be true.

Look at this link for a map of these lakes in northern Sweden:
http://www.map-of-sweden.co.uk/map-of-norrbotten.htm

I know the Mercator distortion is bigger here and therefore it can look bigger than it is. But I propose to make the lake look thinner similar to the other lakes in the north of Sweden and maybe remove north-westernmost hexside that crosses the Norwegian border. Then you have a 3 hexside lake that is still quite big. If it's drawn a bit thinner then it doesn't look so dominant.

I may have drew the lakes of Sweden and Finland a bit too wide, but this is partly because I wanted to cover the underlying Lake hexside graphic. also, if I drew if slimer, I would have benn obliged to follow more closely the hexsides, and the lake would look too angular. I hope the graphic artist will come up with something better.

quote:

Is it just my eyes deceiving me or has the hexgrid disappeared inside the Russian lake Onega and in the NW corner of lake Ladoga?

Yes, I do not bother to try to put an hexagonal grid on the lake I paint. They will be there on the MWiF final map, but on my drew maps I do not take the time to do this. Drawing the coastlines from Trondheim to Kristiansand took mea nearly 2 hours of drawing erasing drawing erasing. But I'm very happy of te result.

Post #: 118
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 12:19:41 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

If we do this the we have to change the spelling to native language for a lot of cities. To name a few:
* Copenhagen => København
* Munich => München
* Nuremberg => Nürnberg
* Cologne => Köln
* Moscow => Moskva
* Warsaw => Warszawa
* Vienna => Wien
* Prague => Praha

I guess you get my point. So I think we can use the English spelling of the city if such a name exists. For many of the
smaller Nordic cities there simply are no English spelling. What they simply do is to make the ø (ö) become o, æ (ä)
become a or e and å become a. For example Malmo instead of Malmö, Tromso instead of Tromsø, Bodo instead of Bodø,
Alesund instead of Ålesund.

I think we can live with those minor "mistakes". I don't know if all people can read Scandinavian letters with the Windows
Western European (ISO encoding or some of the other encodings. If the answer is yes then we can easily write Tromsø,
but if some players see the ? sign or some other strange letter instead of the ø then we should write Tromso so we ensure
the name is readable to everybody. I can't answer this question because I use an encoding showing the Scandinavian letters
correctly. Our main focus should be to make those cities readable for every player and make every player have a feeling of
where this city is located. I think a lot of people know Copenhagen, but then maybe don't know the local København. So if they
see a local city they have never heard about before they may start wondering if it's the same as the city they know in the
area.

So I feel we can easily use the English spelling for the cities on the MWIF map. I'm so used to them from every wargame I've
played so won't mind.

Thereby explaining why my last name is spelled Hokanson.

Steve

Post #: 119
RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion - 8/7/2006 12:41:18 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

I would love too.
But I have troubles finding a map simple enough to re-draw in onthe MWiF map. A map simple enough for me is for example the one posted on post #94. I used the one on the right to make the Kristiansand to Trondheim coasts.

Would the one of post #94 on the left would be good enough for the coastlines ?

The eastern map of post #94 is definitely good enough to draw the terrain up to Trondheim and little bit further.

I found another map of Norway you may use to draw the coast lines further north. It's embedded into this message. Here is the link if you want the original map:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/europe/norway_pol96.jpg

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Modifications to MWiF Scandinavia Map portion Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI