Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are there any pitchers with good hands?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Are there any pitchers with good hands? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are there any pitchers with good hands? - 8/31/2006 10:21:50 PM   
jono

I'm playing a fictional league with a rating scale of 1-20 and in checking my teams Major and Minor league pitchers I found that none had a hands rating of over 10. I then checked all the free agent pitchers and 2 other teams pitchers and the highest hands rating was 11.
Do pitchers traditionally have bad hands or is it just a fluke in my league?
Post #: 1
RE: Are there any pitchers with good hands? - 9/1/2006 12:04:54 AM   
Amaroq

Traditionally.

Personally, I'd like to see pitchers who really can help themselves with their defense, as well as pitchers who are competent hitters - the 'Do I pinch hit' question gets a lot more interesting if your pitcher is 40/20/60 than if you know he's something like 6/3/9.

(in reply to jono)
Post #: 2
RE: Are there any pitchers with good hands? - 9/1/2006 4:10:08 AM   
robpost3

I agree most pitchers do not field/hit.  In my fictional league I have three pitchers who really do help with offense and D....In reality...Babe Ruth, Doc Gooden, Bob Gibson, Tom Glavin all were adept at D and Gooden had a few HRs to boot!

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 3
RE: Are there any pitchers with good hands? - 9/1/2006 4:13:31 AM   
KG Erwin

Hmm --haven't thought about this too much -- to my mind, a pitcher with good defensive capabilities can break up a sac bunt attempt, or snag a grounder hit in his area.   

Yeah, breaking up a sac bunt is a good one -- the play goes 1-5, taking out the lead runner, and the pitcher (IF he's the bunter), is perched on 1st.   

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 9/1/2006 4:18:32 AM >

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 4
RE: Are there any pitchers with good hands? - 9/1/2006 8:19:16 PM   
Amaroq

Plus there's the 'reflex save' - the shot back through the box that some pitchers always seem to snag, while others get out of the way, letting it through to centerfield for a single.

I just want the defensive stats for pitchers to range across the same range as normal fielders - even if its on the 'pitcher' scale, I want to see some guys with hands '90', some with hands '20', and an equal variation in range.

Likewise, I want a few hitters - there have been some pitchers who were good enough at the plate to get used as pinch-hitters, and there are others whom I would almost want to order 'just take every pitch' as a reasonable way to keep them from hitting into a double play! There doesn't feel like there's that much variation (currently). Though I do see some pitchers who routinely bat over .200 and get 1 or 2 HR's each season, I can't tell that from looking at their batting ratings.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Are there any pitchers with good hands? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI