Are there any pitchers with good hands? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

jono -> Are there any pitchers with good hands? (8/31/2006 10:21:50 PM)

I'm playing a fictional league with a rating scale of 1-20 and in checking my teams Major and Minor league pitchers I found that none had a hands rating of over 10. I then checked all the free agent pitchers and 2 other teams pitchers and the highest hands rating was 11.
Do pitchers traditionally have bad hands or is it just a fluke in my league?

Amaroq -> RE: Are there any pitchers with good hands? (9/1/2006 12:04:54 AM)

Traditionally.

Personally, I'd like to see pitchers who really can help themselves with their defense, as well as pitchers who are competent hitters - the 'Do I pinch hit' question gets a lot more interesting if your pitcher is 40/20/60 than if you know he's something like 6/3/9.

robpost3 -> RE: Are there any pitchers with good hands? (9/1/2006 4:10:08 AM)

I agree most pitchers do not field/hit.  In my fictional league I have three pitchers who really do help with offense and D....In reality...Babe Ruth, Doc Gooden, Bob Gibson, Tom Glavin all were adept at D and Gooden had a few HRs to boot!

KG Erwin -> RE: Are there any pitchers with good hands? (9/1/2006 4:13:31 AM)

Hmm --haven't thought about this too much -- to my mind, a pitcher with good defensive capabilities can break up a sac bunt attempt, or snag a grounder hit in his area.   

Yeah, breaking up a sac bunt is a good one -- the play goes 1-5, taking out the lead runner, and the pitcher (IF he's the bunter), is perched on 1st.   

Amaroq -> RE: Are there any pitchers with good hands? (9/1/2006 8:19:16 PM)

Plus there's the 'reflex save' - the shot back through the box that some pitchers always seem to snag, while others get out of the way, letting it through to centerfield for a single.

I just want the defensive stats for pitchers to range across the same range as normal fielders - even if its on the 'pitcher' scale, I want to see some guys with hands '90', some with hands '20', and an equal variation in range.

Likewise, I want a few hitters - there have been some pitchers who were good enough at the plate to get used as pinch-hitters, and there are others whom I would almost want to order 'just take every pitch' as a reasonable way to keep them from hitting into a double play! There doesn't feel like there's that much variation (currently). Though I do see some pitchers who routinely bat over .200 and get 1 or 2 HR's each season, I can't tell that from looking at their batting ratings.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI