Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategies in the Pacific

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Strategies in the Pacific Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategies in the Pacific - 9/6/2006 4:35:36 PM   
Kapten Q

Found this excellent website.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-P-Strategy/

This is good

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/

Actually start here!

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/

Enjoy

Q

< Message edited by Kapten Q -- 9/6/2006 4:49:58 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/6/2006 8:12:12 PM   
AmiralLaurent

What I find interesting in this book (it is a copy of one of the 'Green Books' of the History Branch of US Army) is that it shows Pacific logistics were far more complicated (and so allowed much less operations) than in WITP.

For example, the 'shipping crisis' described in fall 1942. By this date, I suspect most Allied players have hundred of AP/AK just doing nothing in port. Of course (before fanboys tell it) it's exactly the same with Japan, shipping capacity is not a problem. Japan has in the game enough ships to carry at the same time the whole Southern Area Army, supplies and fuel to supply it, and bring resources/oil to Japan.

So, while the book is interesting to read, the world he describes has not much to do with WITP.

(in reply to Kapten Q)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/6/2006 8:16:09 PM   
KDonovan

quote:

For example, the 'shipping crisis' described in fall 1942. By this date, I suspect most Allied players have hundred of AP/AK just doing nothing in port.

thats the truth.....as the allies...i've had 100 AKs sitting around in various ports for about 6 months now

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/6/2006 8:18:28 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Too bad the "Beans, Bullets, and Black Oil - The Story of Fleet Logistics Afloat in the Pacific During World War II" is still "under development"

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/BBBO/index.html

"This volume is 'under development' and will be completed as time allows..."

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 9/6/2006 8:20:44 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/6/2006 8:54:32 PM   
BrucePowers

I agree with all. I still find that WiTP is a fun game to play.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/6/2006 9:11:01 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I agree with all. I still find that WiTP is a fun game to play.

But wouldn't it be more fun if you got to struggle with the same restrictions as your historical counterparts instead of getting a "free ride" logistically?

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/7/2006 5:28:45 AM   
jolly_pillager

quote:

ORIGINAL: KDonovan

quote:

For example, the 'shipping crisis' described in fall 1942. By this date, I suspect most Allied players have hundred of AP/AK just doing nothing in port.

thats the truth.....as the allies...i've had 100 AKs sitting around in various ports for about 6 months now

Why?

The US has enough supplies that you cannot possibly drain it dry no matter how many AK's you station there.

There is no excuse for you not to be hauling forward everything you can...all major supply hubs should have >500k of fuel and supplies...even minor hubs should be >100k, and key bases like Pearl, Brisbane, etc. should be pushing the 1 million mark. Having a flexible and large logistics base close to the front is very useful.

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 7
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/7/2006 5:32:40 AM   
jolly_pillager

As another issue...the problem isn't an overabundance of AK's...the problem is that ships caqn load/ unload in ridiculously short times and in ridiculously large numbers from little sand spits in the middle of nowhere.

IRL I recall stories of AK's waiting for over a month at some places just sitting in line to unload...

It also doesn't help that WitP (stock) only gives a few sizes of AK...which certainly overstates lifting capacity in total while understating total numbers of vessels (since smaller traders are not represented).

(in reply to jolly_pillager)
Post #: 8
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/8/2006 5:42:45 AM   
KDonovan

quote:

There is no excuse for you not to be hauling forward everything you can...all major supply hubs should have >500k of fuel and supplies...even minor hubs should be >100k, and key bases like Pearl, Brisbane, etc. should be pushing the 1 million mark. Having a flexible and large logistics base close to the front is very useful

key base's are packed to the rim already. Stacking minor hubs with that much loot is just asking for the japanese to take and steal all that precious supply. Don't like to have easily taken base's over 7000 supply points

(in reply to jolly_pillager)
Post #: 9
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/8/2006 6:28:17 AM   
mogami

Hi, The AP the Allies have in 1942 are not really suited for an Island hopping campaign. They are fine for moving units between freindly bases but not for conducting opposed landings. As for AK well I do not load infantry onto AK except for turn 1 as Japan when I am forced to do so because they begin already loaded.

If players do not mind craming assault troops onto Ak then I guess they have lots of transports.  If they don't mind sending large liners to conduct landings then I quess they have plenty. I wait till I have "assault" ships before conducting opposed landings.  So I do have the historical crisis and am limited in my operational options.

(game fine, players broke)

< Message edited by Mogami -- 9/8/2006 6:29:32 AM >

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 10
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/8/2006 8:44:19 AM   
bradfordkay

" (game fine, players broke) "

No I'm not... I've saved so much money by not purchasing games since WITP came out that I'm way ahead of normal.

I used to buy 10-20 games a year. I have purchased exactly four new computer games since WITP (and one was WPO, which I won't play until ABs map is adopted for it!).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 11
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/8/2006 9:52:01 AM   
mogami

Hi, Send me some Pilsner Urquell and I'll send you my Japanese turn 1.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 12
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/8/2006 3:58:57 PM   
Hoplosternum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, The AP the Allies have in 1942 are not really suited for an Island hopping campaign. They are fine for moving units between freindly bases but not for conducting opposed landings. As for AK well I do not load infantry onto AK except for turn 1 as Japan when I am forced to do so because they begin already loaded.

If players do not mind craming assault troops onto Ak then I guess they have lots of transports.  If they don't mind sending large liners to conduct landings then I quess they have plenty. I wait till I have "assault" ships before conducting opposed landings.  So I do have the historical crisis and am limited in my operational options.

(game fine, players broke)

I have found that the allies are short of APs when it comes to counter attack in '43. The assualt shipping carries little stuff and even by mid '43 you don't have that many. So you need to use APs if you are going to invade at that stage.

I dare say this is fairly realistic but it's tough to pull off multi divisional landings at this stage unless you are going to use lots of AKs. And you need to land with multiple divisions (plus support stuff) if you are going up against an even moderately defended island.

Troop transports are one of the allies items in shortest supply IME. In my May '43 game my Pacific and Oz bases, while not short of fuel and supply, certainly are not full. My AKs work around the clock. It's tough to find the transport capacity to keep everything stocked and the reinforcements flowing.

< Message edited by Hoplosternum -- 9/8/2006 4:00:58 PM >

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 13
RE: Strategies in the Pacific - 9/8/2006 6:42:48 PM   
Mike Scholl

If you check out history, you'll find that it wasn't until November of 1943 that the Allies mounted their first "long distance" amphibious assults. Guadalcanal was a "landing", but thay had pretty good intelligence that the opposition would be small and limited. Even then, Japanese reaction forced them to leave the Marines "half supplied" because they couldn't unload fast enough to get everything ashore. 1943 was primarily a year of "shore to shore hops" up the Solomans and in New Guinea done as much with landing craft as real ships. The Gilberts were the first "big hop" attempted in the Pacific, and it wasn't just the lack of CV's that made it so....

(in reply to Hoplosternum)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Strategies in the Pacific Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI