Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PO enabled

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> PO enabled Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PO enabled - 9/7/2006 5:30:47 AM   
ulysisgrunt

Exacrly what does "PO enabled" mean???
Post #: 1
RE: PO enabled - 9/7/2006 6:32:15 AM   
Silvanski

"Programmed Opponent", in other words the computer.

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to ulysisgrunt)
Post #: 2
RE: PO enabled - 9/7/2006 9:51:35 AM   
Silvanski

From what I understand it seems difficult to enable the PO in the so-called monster scenarios like FitE due to the scale and large amount of formations.

But I believe it must be possible in mid- to huge scaled scenarios.
I looked at two scenarios (converted from ACOW) which don't have the PO enabled:

-Ben Turner's "Alternative World War" which sees the Soviets against almost all the rest of Europe in 1939-1946.
I'm gonna have a go at this one and try to set the Soviet PO. From the scenario notes I know which key cities' capture will cause surrender of Allied armies. That will be my guide in setting final objectives for the Communist formations. It will be necessary to set intermediate objectives in order to streamline the offensive.

-Another interesting one is Tane Woodley's "American Front", an American Civil War scenario in 1914-1918 based on Harry Turtledove's alternate history novels, which I'd like to read first...

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 3
RE: PO enabled - 3/12/2007 1:36:44 AM   
Silvanski

Diggin' up an old thread which started me off modifying scenarios for human vs PO play.

quote:

From what I understand it seems difficult to enable the PO in the so-called monster scenarios like FitE due to the scale and large amount of formations.
But I believe it must be possible in mid- to huge scaled scenarios.

I looked at two scenarios (converted from ACOW) which don't have the PO enabled:

-Ben Turner's "Alternative World War"

This one now lives on as "Trotsky's War" of which the latest version is waiting in the wings for a TOAWIII updated patch to speed up the improved PO so I can run more tests.

In the mean time I'm gonna look into this one...
quote:

-Another interesting one is Tane Woodley's "American Front", an American Civil War scenario in 1914-1918 based on Harry Turtledove's alternate history novels, which I'd like to read first...

Long scenario that has its own particularities to be dealt with in order to make it suitable for human vs PO play.
Objective tracks for the long list of formations is #1. Another thing is setting up events to enable automatic disbanding of reinforcement units which represent recruits. "class of 1914", "class of 1915" etc formations.

I believe it can be done. The extensive scenario notes are very helpful but I have some questions though, which I'll ask directly to the designer.

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 4
RE: PO enabled - 3/12/2007 1:39:28 AM   
Veers

That American Front acutually looks like a sweet scenario. Good luck with it.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 5
RE: PO enabled - 3/12/2007 2:00:24 AM   
Silvanski

Thanks Wyatt. There's alot to be done i.e. theater options... these will have to be turned into events (preferably with various range) in order for the enemy PO to gain certain reinforcements and for other stuff to happen.

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 6
RE: PO enabled - 3/12/2007 2:17:46 AM   
Veers

Good point. Do you plan on doing two different scenario revisions? One for Confederate/Commonwealth PO and one for Union PO?

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 7
RE: PO enabled - 3/12/2007 2:43:45 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers
Good point. Do you plan on doing two different scenario revisions? One for Confederate/Commonwealth PO and one for Union PO?

That might be the best way to go...

The human player will have the theater options available, for the PO they need to be replaced with variable turn events based on other events, which are subject to certain events etc etc
What happens in the trenches in Europe plays a part as I have seen.

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 8
Enabling the PO in American Front - 3/12/2007 6:51:44 AM   
Silvanski

Already checked some things in the Evil Ed: not too many theater options, that's good.
The theater options to increase supply for summer offensives can be turned into variable turn events for the PO.

Another one may be more complicated: entry of the Japanese on the Entente's side... maybe something with variable values or linked to other events...

The scenario has a long list of house rules. To make the PO follow all of them will be near impossible, but some like the restriction of Confederate state militias to operate outside their home state can be set in their objective tracks and deployment mode...

This thread will be continued in the scenario design forum...

< Message edited by Silvanski -- 3/12/2007 9:32:11 AM >

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> PO enabled Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI