Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWIF Game Interface Design

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/20/2006 12:37:10 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

I don't believe I have posted a recent screen shot showing the medium resolution counters. I've added outlines and moved the shadowing to the right/bottom. I will probably make the shadowing a little larger (up from 1 to 2 or 3 pixels). This is zoom level 3, and I think all the numbers are easy to read (except maybe the # of units in a hex).

Great screen shot !
However, the shadowing are not visible, and what is this outline about ? Before, there was a Green outline for units that were available to perform actions during the step that is in play. Is the green outline replaced by this one ?

Selectable units still have the green outline. This screen shot is taken from setting up USSR reserves so no on map units are selectable.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 511
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/20/2006 12:40:30 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't believe I have posted a recent screen shot showing the medium resolution counters. I've added outlines and moved the shadowing to the right/bottom. I will probably make the shadowing a little larger (up from 1 to 2 or 3 pixels). This is zoom level 3, and I think all the numbers are easy to read (except maybe the # of units in a hex).

Great screen shot !
However, the shadowing are not visible, and what is this outline about ? Before, there was a Green outline for units that were available to perform actions during the step that is in play. Is the green outline replaced by this one ?

Also, why are the hexsides that black, especialy those of the hexes bordering the sea ?
It was quite smoother before, wasn't it ?

I just changed the thickness for the shadows from 3 to 5, so they are now more visible.

Good catch on the hex outlines - there are several sections of map rendering code I modified recently that might have caused the (unwanted) change. I'll investigate.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 512
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/20/2006 4:15:54 AM   
Zorachus99

Gorgeous !!!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 513
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/20/2006 7:39:11 AM   
Neilster

quote:

However, the shadowing (is) not visible,...

What about this part of Patrice's question?

I preferred the units without the white outlines, as below (or have I missed something?).

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Neilster -- 9/20/2006 7:41:10 AM >

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 514
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/20/2006 8:20:58 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

However, the shadowing (is) not visible,...

What about this part of Patrice's question?

I preferred the units without the white outlines, as below (or have I missed something?).

Cheers, Neilster

The advice I got from the artist was to use an outline at all times (he calls it 'keylining') and to move the shadows to the right/bottom. He also wanted thinner shadows, which I overdid and today I thickened them up some more.

Also at his suggestion, I am using a little black or white square as background for the status indicators (if you look real close you can see one for the Russian HQ). That solves the problem of the status indicators disappearing against some terrain types. I still want better status indicators instead of bland solid circles and I continue to nag him to create some for me. His first attempt wasn't satisfactory.

I exepct to increase the font size for the # of units in a hex for zoom levels 3 and less - perhaps even for level 4.

Another change that has happened since the screen shot you showed is that I am using Patrice's silhouettes for the air and naval units. There are just a couple more touchups to them I want to make. I also repositioned the NATO symbols and numeric factors for the land units lower in the frame.

Steve

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 515
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/20/2006 8:29:19 AM   
Neilster

Ok. I'm just a bit concerned that after going to the work of adding shadows and rounding the corners to make them look like real counters, we are spoiling the effect with this keylining. Could we see some more new screenshots at different zoom levels?

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 516
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/20/2006 8:49:57 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Ok. I'm just a bit concerned that after going to the work of adding shadows and rounding the corners to make them look like real counters, we are spoiling the effect with this keylining. Could we see some more new screenshots at different zoom levels?

Cheers, Neilster

Yes, but later.

Steve

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 517
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 3:39:10 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I am working my way through all the 100+ forms and coverting the components on each to the new theme. Here's a screen shot of the USA scrap form for Global War

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 518
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 3:40:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is an example of the Units Panel for the Italian player. This shows all the units in taranto.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 9/21/2006 3:41:54 AM >

Steve

Post #: 519
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 3:43:10 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is the simple popup message form. You know, that annoying screen you have to click OK on even when things aren't OK.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 520
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 3:45:45 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is the Communists setting up. That is done by the USSR player, so the colors are for the USSR.

The units can set up in proximity to LanChow and SiAn. Whichever hex they are placed in then becomes Communist Chinese.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 521
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 3:47:21 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Last in the series. Here is the Nationalist Chinese color scheme/theme

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 522
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 4:29:03 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Here is the simple popup message form. You know, that annoying screen you have to click OK on even when things aren't OK.

You don't have to click OK to get rid of it. You can undo each corner with a flat-bladed screwdriver to remove it manually.

These forms look good and there is something strangely satisfying about pushing those metalized buttons.

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 523
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 7:09:29 AM   
composer99

Lookin' good!

~ Composer99

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 524
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 8:17:49 AM   
GJK

FWIW, a simple 3d bevel/shadow effect that I use for my counters that I do for VASSAL modules is a few single pixel width lines arranged like so (enlarged):

Which looks this on the map:

Too heavy on the drop shadow and the counters look like they're levitating above the map (such as in the 'North Sea' screen above. I think you discovered that when you posted that you went a bit heavy on it there.

Just my observation, but the other counters don't look beveled but like little square blocks, which may or may not be the effect that you're looking for.

< Message edited by GJK -- 9/21/2006 8:18:27 AM >

Post #: 525
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 8:41:15 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Interesting. I'll consider it. Scaling for 7 functional levels of zoom is always a problem.

Nice map.

Steve

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 526
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 9:30:14 AM   
rtamesis

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

FWIW, a simple 3d bevel/shadow effect that I use for my counters that I do for VASSAL modules is a few single pixel width lines arranged like so (enlarged):

Which looks this on the map:

Too heavy on the drop shadow and the counters look like they're levitating above the map (such as in the 'North Sea' screen above. I think you discovered that when you posted that you went a bit heavy on it there.

Just my observation, but the other counters don't look beveled but like little square blocks, which may or may not be the effect that you're looking for.

As Sacha Baron Cohen's outrageous Kazakhstani reporter Borat Sagdiyev would say, "NICE!"

Seriously, that's really beautiful graphics work on that map and counters.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 527
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 10:45:53 AM   
Neilster

These shoes is good for chase ladies!!!!

Editted by Moderator

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 9/21/2006 11:43:14 AM >

(in reply to rtamesis)
Post #: 528
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 10:48:03 AM   
Neilster

Check out the glamour on his right (or left, for that matter).

Cheers, Neilster

Edited by Moderator

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 9/21/2006 11:44:16 AM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 529
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 10:54:11 AM   
Neilster

Our capital Almaty now have toilet!

Edited by Moderator

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 9/21/2006 11:45:15 AM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 530
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 12:38:03 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

Edited by Moderator

Neilster... I'm not exactly sure how to put this... I may have missed something here but it seemed that your post had nothing at all to do with MWiF, Matrix, Wargames, good taste or reality. Remind me never to view your attachments ever again.

um...when I say 'attachments' I am, of course, referring to file attachments...

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 531
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 3:53:55 PM   
wfzimmerman

for what it's worth, in all these forms, I keep wishing that the view of the units in the "action panel" was one or two zoom levels higher. They are too small and I do a lot of squinting.

Post #: 532
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 3:55:24 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

quote:

You don't have to click OK to get rid of it. You can undo each corner with a flat-bladed screwdriver to remove it manually.

These forms look good and there is something strangely satisfying about pushing those metalized buttons.

Cheers, Neilster

do we really need to have messages that require "Ok" confirmation but provide no alternative choioce of action? Couldn't we just have a "notifications window" where these informational messages scroll by?

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 533
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 9:00:16 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman
for what it's worth, in all these forms, I keep wishing that the view of the units in the "action panel" was one or two zoom levels higher. They are too small and I do a lot of squinting.

Oh, I agree. And I have thought long and hard about making the unit depictions larger (or to let the player set the size). But larger means fewer units displayed which is really unattractive - especially for the setup screen. My solution is to let the players change to medium resolution which solves the visibilty problem at the expense of fine detail.

I haven't written the code to automate the transition between high, medium, and low resolution as a function of zoom level. But when I do, I intend to let the players also choose a resolution setting to be used for all the forms. This would have the rather strange effect of being able to pick up a medium resolution unit from the setup tray/form and then as you move the unit/stack over the map (which is using high resolution) the unit depiction would magically change to high resoultion.

Steve

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 534
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 9:04:02 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

do we really need to have messages that require "Ok" confirmation but provide no alternative choioce of action? Couldn't we just have a "notifications window" where these informational messages scroll by?

Hmmm. I could give these messages a temporal existence, so without any action by the player they would disappear after a few seconds. The downside is that the player might not have been paying attention and miss the message: "What was that? Was it important?".

Steve

Post #: 535
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 9:12:56 PM   
wfzimmerman

the temporal issue is why the scrolling notifications window. it could just be a view of a subset of the (already heavily designed I know) game log.

I've seen this technique used effectively in Hearts of Iron (which has such an awful proliferation of notifications that there is a whole set of screens to configure how frequently they pop up). MWIF is not as badly off, but still, why pop up a message simply so that I have to bat it down?

Post #: 536
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 9:13:55 PM   
wfzimmerman

quote:

quote:

Oh, I agree. And I have thought long and hard about making the unit depictions larger (or to let the player set the size). But larger means fewer units displayed which is really unattractive - especially for the setup screen. My solution is to let the players change to medium resolution which solves the visibilty problem at the expense of fine detail.

I haven't written the code to automate the transition between high, medium, and low resolution as a function of zoom level. But when I do, I intend to let the players also choose a resolution setting to be used for all the forms. This would have the rather strange effect of being able to pick up a medium resolution unit from the setup tray/form and then as you move the unit/stack over the map (which is using high resolution) the unit depiction would magically change to high resoultion.

I like that. it gives a feel of deploying the unit...

Post #: 537
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/21/2006 10:34:54 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

the temporal issue is why the scrolling notifications window. it could just be a view of a subset of the (already heavily designed I know) game log.

I've seen this technique used effectively in Hearts of Iron (which has such an awful proliferation of notifications that there is a whole set of screens to configure how frequently they pop up). MWIF is not as badly off, but still, why pop up a message simply so that I have to bat it down?

There are 50+ places where "informational messages" appear. A player acknowledgement is warranted inmost cases. The general categories where this occurs are:

1 - the player tried to do something that can't be done (no air missions remaining)
2 - the player asked for something that doesn't exist (no trade agreements exist)
3 - another player (remote location) has done something that is important and is being reported (Rumania Claim rejected)
4 - the program has done something automatically; these are very rare (the remaining air units moving to the air reserve).

I don't think these are especially intrusive. There is no need to maintain a running log of them.

Steve

Post #: 538
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/22/2006 4:20:41 AM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtamesis

As Sacha Baron Cohen's outrageous Kazakhstani reporter Borat Sagdiyev would say, "NICE!"

Seriously, that's really beautiful graphics work on that map and counters.

Thanks! I have a number of VASSAL modules that I've done and on each I redraw the maps and counters, it's fun. At any rate, MWiF is my most anticipated game, I've been following the discussions from afar for a while. I have the 4th (5th?) edition of the game but have never played it. I'm hoping that MWiF will give me a chance to learn the system and enjoy it.

(in reply to rtamesis)
Post #: 539
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 9/22/2006 10:11:47 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

quote:

Edited by Moderator

Neilster... I'm not exactly sure how to put this... I may have missed something here but it seemed that your post had nothing at all to do with MWiF, Matrix, Wargames, good taste or reality. Remind me never to view your attachments ever again.

um...when I say 'attachments' I am, of course, referring to file attachments...

You've never heard of Borat?

He was mentioned in the post before mine. He's got a movie coming out too. The Kazakhstan government hate this character but the more they try to muzzle him the more publicity they generate for him.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI