Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When? - 7/27/2006 11:01:53 PM   
Jimm

Hi Shannon

Not posted before, just joined and only really read through these threads in any depth today. Very surprised and impressed (relieved?) at level of progress on MWif I confess I thought it had hit the buffers with Matrix. Particularly impressed the level of consultation/interaction with "Wiffers" you have had and continue to encourage. All too often project management tends to encourage a very single minded attitude where even with the best of initial intentions the project becomes "owned" by the manager and interested parties become at best a tiresome distraction to the overall holy goal of COMPLETION- I speak from a different field but I'm sure the rule holds.

I wont post again unless I have something interesting to say but I figured a supporting message to start is worthwhile to be added into the balance just in case your employers are monitoring numbers on this forum as an indication of potential market and after weighing the sheer number of posts will hopefully will continue to support this product- and further developments... (a DOD add on would certainly get my vote!)

Keep up the good work and best of luck - we're on the home straight now- right?

cheers
Jimm

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 151
RE: When? - 8/1/2006 4:33:22 AM   
Jeff Gilbert

Awaiting Steve's next installment ... I love these updates!

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 152
RE: When? - 8/1/2006 4:33:34 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

August 1, 2006 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of July

Project Management
December 2006 as a release date is too optimistic now. I basically lost most of the month of July as far as making progress against my schedule. See below for details.

Communications
Rob Armstrong made a good start on the skins for the player interface.

Erik Rutkins of Matrix Games reported that there was interest in MWIF expressed at Origins.

I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily. Members of the forum continue to be very helpful.

Beta testers were mostly quiet because I owe them a new version to fix existing bugs.

Dan Hatchen is waiting on me to install what he has already sent me for NetPlay.

Patrice did a ton of work on the maps both in hosting forum discussions and in making changes to MWIF data files.

No word from Terje on changes to the naval unit descriptions recommended by Greyshaft. Greyshaft himself has been occupied with family matters.

Ian Wilson and Richard Dazeley continued our discussion on the design of the language for the AI opponent rules.

Mziln finished culling the optional rules from RAW and assembling them into packets that correspond to the 80 optional rules in MWIF. He sent me the complete set at the beginning of the month.

Light communication with Chris Marinacci over the past month.

Beta Testing
There are some new bugs in version 2.00 related to saving and restoring screen layouts. I haven’t found time to track them down and correct them yet.

Map and Units
I installed all the medium resolution unit bitmaps that Rob gave me. They were copied from the back of the WIF FE counter sheets. But then Patrice sent me improvements on all of them that he had crafted. Today I finished replacing all the medium resolution bitmaps with those provided by Patrice.

As part of this process, I modified the player interface so the players can change between medium and high resolution with a single mouse click. My next task for this aspect of the interface will be adding an automatic change feature so the unit resolution depiction changes when the zoom level changes. Which resolutions go with which zoom levels will be up to the player to set (with a default in place, of course).

I finished the work started by Claes on revising the map data for Scandinavia. Patrice then offered to do the rest of the map data changes he had accumulated and I instantly agreed. So far he has touched up Scandinavia, and made the changes agreed to in the forum for the Caucasus and China. Patrice has also gathered final versions of changes for most of the island chains in the Pacific and will do those too. As I write this, there is an on-going discussion in the MWIF forum to finalize the additional cities in the USSR east of the Urals. Once that is agreed upon, Patrice will put them into the map data files.

The changes to the weather overlays and fortifications are waiting on Rob. He had to put in extra time for his primary customer and MWIF lost his services for about half of the month of July.

CWIF Conversion
Most of this past month I spent making changes to the program to accommodate the upgrade from Delphi 2005 to Delphi 2006. In particular, the ‘packages’ I inherited from CWIF contained numerous dependencies on elements of game play - the map and units in particular. To transform them into true self-contained packages, without any dependencies on other code, required about 3 weeks of hard work. These routines are used in over a hundred places so discarding them was not a viable option. But getting them to function under Delphi 2006 was labor intensive. I had to try several different approaches before I found one that actually worked.

My first attempt was to break apart the cross references. That involved extensive expansion of the separate modules I had created earlier which contain type definitions, constants, and variables. I now have over 2600 lines of code in those modules (up from 200). This code only defines values and very simple record structures. Previously, these had been dispersed over 40 different Pascal units - hence the interdependencies. This new central clearing house for type statements, constants, and common variables make the code much easier to work with. Of course, that attempt ultimately failed in making the packages self-contained and more drastic measures were required.

This was all aggravated by the normal weirdnesses when upgrading software. And then my upstairs neighbor flooded 15 floors of apartments by cutting through a hot water line with a power saw. For days I had workmen wandering in and out doing repairs and 4 or more large industrial fans blowing 24 hours a day to dry things out. It took them almost exactly 1 week to get things back to normal. Still, I had the aroma of latex paint floating in the air for several more days and my hearing took another week to get back to normal. The idiot above me continues to bang on the floor every day. I have come to the conclusion that his hammer is vastly more intelligent than he is. His intellect is more like that of a 10 penny common nail.

Game Interface
The CWIF packages I revised were exclusively for the game interface. They display: a single unit on a form, a list of units, details on a single unit or stack of units, and a map snapshot. For example, the combat forms show which units are involved, summary and/or detailed statistics about them, and a little map view of where the combat is taking place. In making all the modifications, I am now intimately familiar with their details. I also am extraordinarily more knowledgeable about the 104 different forms the program uses to communicate with the player.

Since I was messing around with them everyday anyway, I made a lot of changes to those form layouts. Mainly I increased the size of: the forms, the fonts, the map snapshots, and the unit depictions.

Rob came up with a design for the MWIF skin. A skin is a set of modifications to standard Windows components that causes them to appear much more interesting that Microsoft’s normal design. For MWIF, Rob is using color, shape, and texture elements based on a WW II airplane cockpit. We have decided to have 8 skin variations, one for each major power. When the major power you are playing changes (e.g., from Germany to Japan) then the color scheme for the forms will change too. Progress is pretty good on this and it should be complete in the first half of August.

For designing the skins the tool we are using is Theme Engine, which is a commercially available product. Since this is my first time working with something like this, I am exploring the range of its capabilities. I probably will have to make a lot of changes to other CWIF interface components. That’s because CWIF has unique interface elements that Theme Engine doesn’t know about. I will replace the CWIF-unique components with standard Windows ones so the skins designed by Rob can be applied throughout the program.

Rob also redid all the flags for the major powers. They are vastly improved.

MWIF Game Engine
I did actually manage to write some new code, instead of spending all my time revising existing code. In the last 4 days I wrote 11,000 lines of code for transforming game record log (GRL) entries from a set of fields into a text string and back again. There are 462 GRL record definitions with an average of 8 fields per record. That’s a lot of fields to convert into and out of text strings.

Now that this code is complete, I can use it for turning game events into strings and: (1) writing the strings to the GRL disk file, (2) sending them over the Internet as part of NetPlay, and (3) enclosing them in email for PBEM. I still have to locate the 462 places in the program where game events occur and insert code to call the routines I just wrote. Nonetheless, the conversion from record layouts to strings is crucial for testing NetPlay, since that is the form NetPlay uses to pass game events over the Internet.

Internet - NetPlay
I commented out all the calls to DirectX, so I did not have to recompile the DirectX package for Delphi 2006. Rather than remove them outright, I left them in as comments, so they can serve as reference points for inserting the NetPlay equivalents. As a point of note, I had previously reduced the DirectX calls so they only appeared in a half a dozen places.

My plan is to take what Dan has sent me so far and use that to integrate his routines into MWIF as much as possible. I believe I can get pretty deep by my lonesome. Once I push that as hard as I can, I’ll give Dan a call. My logic is that I will then have an improved understanding of both his code and what more I need to finish up NetPlay. I still think this is all relatively easy to do. I just haven’t been giving it enough time.

Saved Games
I fixed one small bug so the text descriptions for all the units get loaded when a game is restored.

Player’s Manual
I took the Optional Rules writeups that Mziln put together and formatted them so they can be read by the program. I still have to edit the contents so they make sense to someone who has never played WIF. So far I have done 2 edited nicely, thank you very much, but I have 78 remaining.

Scenario Information
Nothing new here.

Help System, Tutorials, and AI Assistant
Nothing new here.

Artificial Intelligence (AI)
I wrote up very detailed rules for scrapping units and started looking into doing the same for deciding where to make land attacks. My goal here is to have some actual rules in hand to pass along to Richard and Ian for evaluating how the AIO language should be defined.

Other
I wasn’t a happy camper in July, but my wife is confident that my genetic background as an irrationally stubborn Swede will see me through.
====================================================================
July summary: Time spent rewriting existing code just so it continues to function, seems like time wasted to me. Hopefully all future revisions to CWIF code will be to add features.

Tasks for August

Communications
Continue monitoring the forum threads.

Beta Testing
Fix more bugs, both old ones and the new ones caused by the addition of the code for dynamic screen layouts. I expect to be able to get version 3.00 out in August which will contain al the map revisions that Patrice has made (is making) and the medium resolution units.

Map and Units
Incorporate Patrice map data revisions into the functioning program.

CWIF Conversion
Thoroughly test the new random number generator (this task is still collecting dust at the bottom of the pile of things to do). Start inserting the Game Record Log calls into the game play code so that entries are written to the GRL disk file as the game is played.

Game Interface
Finalize the theme and color scheme for the player interface including the definition of the skins. Add the bidding capability to the Start of Game Form so the beta testers can play one-on-one over the Internet.

Redesign of MWIF Game Engine
Review and add detail to the overview of the MWIF game engine.

Software Development Tools
Install the ThemeEngine 6.06 upgrade.

Multiplayer Internet
Incorporate the Indy10 code for the new design for the multiplayer system into MWIF.

AI Opponent
Work out detailed rules for several more decision points so the language for the Aio can be finalized.

Player’s Manual
Finish the table of contents and transfer all the various write ups I have done for different portions of MWIF into the Player’s Manual (e.g., PBEM design).

Historical Detail, Animations, and Sound
Start listing all the places the program will use historical video footage, sound, and music. Begin fleshing out the content for the first half dozen tutorials.

Set up forms dedicated to viewing the sequence of play, so they can be used later as an index/table of contents into the context sensitive help files.

Other
40 minute walk and an apple every day.

================================================================
August summary: Make the system for playing over the Internet work. Put in the map data changes. Finalize the player interface design and apply it to the full set of 104 existing forms. Give the beta testers something new to test.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 153
RE: When? - 8/1/2006 5:52:09 AM   
Arnir

Thanks for the update.

Post #: 154
RE: When? - 8/2/2006 2:58:43 AM   
macgregor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
I wasn’t a happy camper in July, but my wife is confident that my genetic background as an irrationally stubborn Swede will see me through.

I remember when neither were your Soviets. You moved a couple of isolated 4-5 cav units, yatta yatta, over a million Germans are out of supply. Niagara Falls...slowly I turn...

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 155
RE: When? - 8/3/2006 6:32:45 PM   
trees trees

ten penny nails

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 156
RE: When? - 8/10/2006 1:44:42 AM   
thrud

1st time posting. Been reading the forums for this game since the announcement that Matrix was going to be developing it. (have the Beta version from ADG). Just want to say I am looking forward to this game being released. My wargaming group who I used to play WIF boardgame with has been scattered all over the US. It will be nice to play via e-mail, or internet with the guys again. Just won't be as much beer drinking involved.

Eric

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 157
RE: When? - 8/10/2006 2:12:48 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: thrud

1st time posting. Been reading the forums for this game since the announcement that Matrix was going to be developing it. (have the Beta version from ADG). Just want to say I am looking forward to this game being released. My wargaming group who I used to play WIF boardgame with has been scattered all over the US. It will be nice to play via e-mail, or internet with the guys again. Just won't be as much beer drinking involved.

Eric

Why not?

Steve

(in reply to thrud)
Post #: 158
RE: When? - 8/10/2006 9:44:33 PM   
coregames

quote:

Just won't be as much beer drinking involved.

I see Steve's point; arguably, more consumption will be possible, and less co-dependently!

"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson

(in reply to thrud)
Post #: 159
RE: When? - 8/10/2006 10:37:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: coregames

quote:

Just won't be as much beer drinking involved.

I see Steve's point; arguably, more consumption will be possible, and less co-dependently!

No need for a designated driver either!

Steve

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 160
RE: When? - 8/10/2006 10:49:44 PM   
mlees

quote:

No need for a designated driver either!

Except for when you run out...

Post #: 161
RE: When? - 8/11/2006 4:47:39 AM   
stretch

<sacrasm> And I'm not drunk right now. </sarcasm>

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 162
RE: When? - 8/17/2006 9:55:13 PM   
thrud

no one to hold up the beer bong

Eric

Post #: 163
RE: When? - 8/29/2006 1:09:23 AM   
Zorachus99

It's almost time

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to thrud)
Post #: 164
RE: When? - 8/29/2006 11:22:39 PM   
Jeff Gilbert

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.
Soon, very soon for my monthly fix.
-----
I am especially interested in anything new from the paytest side of the house.
It is amazing, even with the length of time for development MWif needs, how my interest and desire level has not waned a bit. I must attribute most of this to the timely updates given, mapping detail being paid attention to and the in-depth discussions by so many different points of view ...

< Message edited by Jeff Gilbert -- 8/29/2006 11:32:33 PM >

Jeff Gilbert
US Army [Ret]
Palm Harbor, Florida, USA

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 165
RE: When? - 8/31/2006 10:21:39 AM   
Norden_slith

Isnt it a tad early for paytests yet?

Norden

Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged

(in reply to Jeff Gilbert)
Post #: 166
RE: When? - 9/1/2006 1:24:02 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

September 1, 2006 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of August

Project Management
I am looking at 1st quarter 2007 as a release date, without the ability to be any more specific than that,

Communications
Rob Armstrong was on vacation for half of August so things were slow in the graphics area.

Erik Rutkins of Matrix Games has taken a month off to be with his wife and 1st born.

I exchanged several emails with Rob Crandall (author of Flashpoint Germany) about 3rd party software tools. More on that below.

I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily. Members of the forum continue to be very helpful.

Beta testers were quiet because I owe them a new version to fix existing bugs.

Dan Hatchen is waiting on me to install what he has already done on NetPlay.

Patrice did a ton of work on the maps, which is discussed in more detail below.

No word from Terje on changes to the naval unit descriptions. Greyshaft has been occupied with family matters.

Ian Wilson and Richard Dazeley are waiting on me to provide more examples of what the AI rules will look like.

No communication with Chris Marinacci over the past month.

Beta Testing
Revising the player interface has rendered the version of the program I am working on (Version 3.0) unplayable from the beta testing point of view. I need to get the code stable before I can upload 3.0 as the new beta test version.

Units
The units are done except for the low level resolution depictions and I plan on designing those in conjunction with redesigning the player interface forms for naval movement and combat. That’s because I expect the low resolution depictions to only be of any great value when planning naval operations over a large expanse of ocean. Adding the automatic change feature so the unit resolution changes when the zoom level changes will be added after the low resolution depictions are done.

The other item related to units still hanging fire is completing writeups for individual units. For that task there are 4 groups of units: (1) Greyshaft’s original air unit writeups did not include the lend lease aircraft, which should be fairly easy to complete by simply referencing existing writeups for the base aircraft types, (2) Greyshaft’s writeups on the HQs were reviewed in detail by Peter Kanjowski and need some edits in accordance with Peter’s comments, (3) the naval unit writeups have been mostly completed by Terje and Fred Zimmerman but need edits to add some numeric information about each ship, and (4) nothing has been done on the non-HQ land units - I am still looking for someone to volunteer to do a few of them (perhaps the most famous units for each major power?).

Map
Patrice completed making the edits to the map data for all the portions of the world map that have been examined in detail by the forum members - with Patrice spearheading that work. In particular, the map of Scandinavia received close inspection by and detailed commentary from the forum members who live there. Hopefully the map we now have for Scandinavia is the best achievable with the (sometimes conflicting) goals of matching WIF FE, being realistic, and simulating WW II within the WIF system.

Graphics for the fortifications were completed by Rob and we are closing in on the final renderings of the weather overlays. Another loose end here is adding more blue tint to the ice terrain so it doesn’t look so much like there is no terrain at all in the hex. This problem appeared when depicting a Norwegian glacier as ice terrain surrounded by mountain hexes. Other than that, the basic graphic elements for the map are done. Once the whole world map has been completed I expect to do another review of all the terrain types for minor buffing and polishing - though that shouldn’t result in any major changes.

The last big item for map graphics is doing the individual coastal bitmaps and river/lake bitmap overlays for the non-European map (i.e., 90% of the world). We have started work on that in the last week and have devised a production line as follows:
(1) Patrice creates a blank grid bitmap for a section of the map (e.g., Scandinavia) using a little program I wrote that makes each hex the exact size that MWIF needs (24 bit color, 136 by 152 pixels per hex).
(2) Patrice transfers to a blank grid the rough coastlines and lake outlines he has drawn for a section of the map and adds the MWIF generated rivers as an overlay. These MWIF rivers follow the hexsides rigidly - quite ugly.
(3) Rob takes the draft that Patrice has created (as a PSD file) and transforms it into two beautiful bitmaps with nice coast lines, lakes, and wavy river lines. The last two are combined on a separate bitmap.
(4) Patrice runs another little program I have written that cuts the large bitmaps into individual coastal hexes (BMP files) and heavily encoded tiny files for the river and lake bitmap overlay (RVR files - a file type of my own invention). The resultant files can be used immediately by the program and Patrice can evaluate if everything has turned out as expected.
(5) As each section is done, we’ll post screen shots of the results to the forum for review by the forum members.

So far Patrice has completed two sections (Scandinavia and USSR east of the Urals) through step 2. Once Rob has processed the first one and we are sure everything is functioning correctly, we’ll start on the rest. As you can tell, I have taken myself out of this process for the most part, so I can focus on other tasks.

CWIF Conversion
I had to go back into the CWIF components and make substantial changes, replacing most of the CWIF unique components with plain vanilla ones to accommodate the needs of Theme Engine.

I also started work on extracting into their own modules the Player Interface Control routines, and Game Control routines. In combination with the Message Control, Simulation Control, and Phase Control modules I have already created, I am getting closer to the architecture I want for the program as a whole. PIC deals with the mouse, keyboard, and screen display. GC starts, saves, and restores games. MC handles NetPlay and PBEM. SC enforces the MWIF rules and, lastly, Phase Control advances the game through the sequence of play (e.g., phases). Internal to SC are all the changes that happen to the map, units, et al during a game, and writing the game events to the Game Record Log.

Game Interface
Rob has provided separate skins for each of the 10 major powers (Communist China and Vichy France are the 9th and 10th). The differences are zero in terms of functionality - they are purely cosmetic. And Theme Engine lets me trivially change from one skin to another as a function of which player is making decisions. I like this a lot. Frequently, who has to make decisions changes as each phase ends and the next one starts. By having the screen appearance change in sync with the changing phases, you get a better sense of the simulation progressing.

However, to get MWIF code to work in conjunction with Theme Engine code took a ton of effort. I spent about 90% of my time working on this the past month and there are still a few wrinkles I have yet to iron out. After about 1 week of effort I was able to get the Theme Engine scroll bars to appear on all 40 or so of the little maps that pop up on the different MWIF forms. For instance, each combat form has a little map of the area where the combat occurs.

Here is one example, taken from many, of the reason this takes so much time and effort. I ran a recompile of all the MWIF modules. This is known as a ‘Build’ in the world of programming and it is a fairly standard practice to do this from time to time just to make sure that everything is recompiled fresh with the latest and greatest changes that have been made. The response I got from the Theme Engine software was that it generated an IO Error 105 every time I tried to use one of its elements - during program design and during program execution. This was even true for a brand new program containing only 10 lines of code. Fault isolating this wasn’t easy and the only remedy that worked was to uninstall Theme Engine in its entirety from the computer, then reload and reinstall it from zipped files. On my second try at doing that the problem disappeared. Poof, there went 2 days. By the way, the Microsoft documentation on fixing IO Error 105 is totally focused on transforming the program into a DOS console application. Sort of a classic example of how helpful their documentation is.

Theme Engine for all intents and purposes is an undocumented program where you learn what it is capable of doing, and how it does it, through trial and error. When really desperate, you read the source code listings to try to figure things out. This is a rough way to work, but the alternatives aren’t any better. After talking things over with Rob Crandall I have decided to limit Theme Engine to enhancing Form basics (borders, header, minimize/maximize, background), scroll bars, buttons, and menus. What I am leaving out are all the text renderings: labels, edit fields, prompts, large text messages, etcetera.

For text fields I will use one of 3 other packages that Rob Crandall uses and recommends. Which one remains to be determined. My objective in all this is to enhance the visual appearance of the screen, and the forms in particular. Once I get the tools I will be using sorted out, making the actual changes will be easy, since all these packages work within Borland’s Delphi Interactive Development Environment.

I made a bunch of changes to the Map Views and Screen Layouts while revising the components they used for Theme Engine. This code is cleaner now and it should be easier to correct any remaining bugs (assuming this tidying up didn’t fix them already).

MWIF Game Engine
I coded the first dozen routines that write out to the Game Record Log. These work nicely and every time I run a test of the player interface, I get another Game Record Log file on the disk. Every other day I delete the 100 or so files that have accumulated. The code structure is in place to do the remaining 450 of these routines but other tasks have higher priority at the present.

Internet - NetPlay
No changes here. I need the player interface stable before I can work on this.

Saved Games
No changes here.

Player’s Manual
I took the Optional Rules writeups that Mziln extracted from RAW and turned them into something more intelligible to WIF newcomers. With a lot of advice from forum members, I completed all 81 of these during the past month. The next step for these is to display them on the screen when a player starts a new game.

The concept is that a player can click on an optional rule and a description will pop up that explains it. This should enable a player to decide whether he wants to include the optional rule or not. I am holding off on coding this until after I decide on the 3rd party software I will be using for displaying large text messages.

Scenario Information
Nothing new here.

Nothing new here.

Nothing new here.

Other
One of my wife’s coworkers describes what I have been doing as “Software Battles”, where the user tries to defeat the hordes of defects in the software through brute force, perseverance, cunning, luck, prayer, and cursing.
August summary: Time spent rewriting existing code still seems like time wasted to me. While the slowness of player interface inching closer to completion is annoying, the light at the end of the tunnel for finishing the map can now be seen as a beacon of hope.

Tasks for September

Communications

Beta Testing
Fix more bugs, so I can get version 3.00 out to the beta testers. It will contain all the map data revisions that Patrice has made, the medium resolution units, and some of the new interface design.

Map and Units
Start generating coastal bitmaps and river/lake overlays for other sections of the world map.

CWIF Conversion
Thoroughly test the new random number generator (this task maintains its death grip on the bottom of the pile of things to do).

Game Interface
Decide on which 3rd party software to used for text. Add the bidding capability to the Start of Game Form so the beta testers can play one-on-one over the Internet.

Continue refining the superstructure of the MWIF game engine.

Finish correcting bugs caused by the changes to accommodate Theme Engine and other 3rd party software.

Multiplayer Internet
Incorporate the Indy10 code for the new design for the multiplayer system into MWIF.

AI Opponent
Work out detailed rules for several more decision points so the language for the AIO can be finalized.

Player’s Manual
Finish the table of contents and transfer all the various write ups I have done for different portions of MWIF into the Player’s Manual (e.g., Optional Rules, PBEM design).

Start listing all the places the program will use historical video footage, sound, and music. Begin fleshing out the content for the first half dozen tutorials.

Set up forms dedicated to viewing the sequence of play, so they can be used later as an index/table of contents into the context sensitive help files.

Other
Finish the scrip & dialogue for our barbershop chorus Christmas show. The plot line is that Mrs. Claus takes Santa’s sleigh to a shopping mall in Nome, Alaska in late November where an SUV smashes into it while it is parked. To deliver Xmas presents Santa needs a sleigh, which involves having him deal with repairmen, an insurance claims adjuster, his master accountant elf (no cash on hand), new & used sleigh salespeople, and, finally, buying one over the Internet.
September summary: Finalize the player interface design and apply it to the full set of 104 existing forms. Give the beta testers something new to test. Start mass production of the rest of the coastal bitmaps. Get the system for playing over the Internet to work.

Steve

(in reply to Norden_slith)
Post #: 167
RE: When? - 9/1/2006 1:52:52 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Theme Engine for all intents and purposes is an undocumented program where you learn what it is capable of doing, and how it does it, through trial and error. When really desperate, you read the source code listings to try to figure things out. This is a rough way to work, but the alternatives aren’t any better. After talking things over with Rob Crandall I have decided to limit Theme Engine to enhancing Form basics (borders, header, minimize/maximize, background), scroll bars, buttons, and menus. What I am leaving out are all the text renderings: labels, edit fields, prompts, large text messages, etcetera.

Is Rob also using this Theme Engine software for his "Flashpoint Germany" Game too or other games ?
I'm wondering what led you to use this software. It is not critizism, it is wondering.

Thanks for the report anyway :-)

quote:

So far Patrice has completed two sections (Scandinavia and USSR east of the Urals) through step 2. Once Rob has processed the first one and we are sure everything is functioning correctly, we’ll start on the rest. As you can tell, I have taken myself out of this process for the most part, so I can focus on other tasks.

Well, in fact I only uploaded two, but I have 6 others that are ready for gridline adding and who would allow to finish the coastlines, lakes & rivers from Cairo to Nikolayev, plus 3 more for the Pacific Islands from the Bonin to the Solomons & from the NEI to the Hawaiian islands, but I'm waiting for the feedback from Rob to see if the process is alright.

Post #: 168
RE: When? - 9/1/2006 2:29:42 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
quote:

Is Rob also using this Theme Engine software for his "Flashpoint Germany" Game too or other games ?
I'm wondering what led you to use this software. It is not critizism, it is wondering.

Thanks for the report anyway :-)

quote:

Well, in fact I only uploaded two, but I have 6 others that are ready for gridline adding and who would allow to finish the coastlines, lakes & rivers from Cairo to Nikolayev, plus 3 more for the Pacific Islands from the Bonin to the Solomons & from the NEI to the Hawaiian islands, but I'm waiting for the feedback from Rob to see if the process is alright.

Yes, Rob Crandall used Theme Engine for Flashpoint Germany - and the themes for that game were developed by Rob Armstrong.

Software tools are notoriously poorly documented; programmers who write code for other programmers rarely document their software, other than some in-line comments. Obtaining an overview of a software package is virtually unheard of, aside from advertising splash which contains nothing of substance ("Hundreds of great new routines that do wonderful stuff!"). As you well know, there is a sub-industry in the world of software that exists solely of writing books that explain how software works and how to best use it. For most software tools the market is usually too small to justify writing a book - hence the yawning abyss that faces the programmer whenever he starts working with a new software package.

The alternative is to write your own routines from scratch but that requires delving into a similar abyss in trying to understand the inner workings of Microsoft's code and/or Borland's Delphi code. Lastly, you can choose to build everything from ones and zeroes (binary), which, - you knew this was coming - requires understanding the hardware platform's poorly doumented underlying BIOS etc.. At no point in this process is the phrase Blissful Ignorance appropriate. Ignorance produces many wasted days of frustration. Knowing/learning just a few small things can make a task extremely simple to do in minutes. But that's just the way things are - and have been for all the years I have programmed (38).

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 169
RE: When? - 9/1/2006 9:53:28 AM   
npilgaard

Thanks for the update.

Regards
Nikolaj

Post #: 170
RE: When? - 9/3/2006 8:13:21 PM   
Jeff Gilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norden
Norden

Play ... Beta ... OK, got my terms screwed up.
I just like the info and updates.

Jeff Gilbert
US Army [Ret]
Palm Harbor, Florida, USA

Post #: 171
RE: When? - 9/4/2006 10:02:04 AM   
Norden_slith

Hi Steve,
thx for the monthly.
Im not much of a programmer and someone much wiser in these ways noticed that the coding of the AI will be the really, really hard part in making this thing work, especially with all the testing that undoubtedly will involve. Now I notice that the AI coding hasnt even begun yet, obviously you need a solid foundation (final map, units setups etc) before building the house and all, but still. Wont this take much longer than you anticipate in your september update?

best regards,

Norden
Hexagonally challenged

Post #: 172
RE: When? - 9/4/2006 12:33:16 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Hi Steve,
thx for the monthly.
Im not much of a programmer and someone much wiser in these ways noticed that the coding of the AI will be the really, really hard part in making this thing work, especially with all the testing that undoubtedly will involve. Now I notice that the AI coding hasnt even begun yet, obviously you need a solid foundation (final map, units setups etc) before building the house and all, but still. Wont this take much longer than you anticipate in your september update?

best regards,

Perhaps. Perhaps not. It is more a question of getting tools to work correctly than straight coding time. For example, I've written a lot of code for the program that took very little time (redoing the map, automating the rail lines, adding the coastal bitmaps, adding the air and naval unit bitmaps). At other times I have spent days working on solving one small problem. New code is much easier to write than debugging changes to existing code (that I didn't write). The Map View code worked correctly rather quickly (a couple of days) but the Screen Layout code took weeks. These were very similar but the latter had to replace some existing code, which required understanding numerous interactions and assumptions (undocumented).

As another example, I was able to write about 11,000 lines of code in 2 weeks for generating the game record log. That was possible because I had done the detailed design work earlier. The specifications for that design had taken me about 1 month to complete. In regards to the AI, I have done a lot of preliminary work on the design (80 pages). Once I have all the tools in place, writing the actual code should go very quickly.

For the PBEM, no code has been written, but I have the complete design document of over 100 pages done.

One of my favorites sayings is "time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing". Installing Delphi 2006, upgrading the CWIF component library to work with that upgrade, and learning how to get the most out of Theme Engine 6.06 has cost me about 2 months. I was worknig on other things concurrently so that isn't a complete waste of 2 months, but it did take a lot of my working hours during that period.

So, if the tools work the way I expect, I should be able to grind out functioning code consistently. But small, inexplicable glitches can add days to the schedule. I can't really plan for those specifically, just add in extra time as a contingency.

I do not see writing the AI Opponent as "really, really hard". Non-programmers view the AIO as mysterious, but think of the screen depiction of the map and units as routine/straightforward, even boring stuff to do. The presentation of the game to the player is not easy to do. That's because (in addition to working with Microsoft/Windows tools) for WIF there is a ton of information to communicate, numerous phases/decision points in the sequence of play, and a very high level of expectations in the player community as to how a game should work. The players demand a smooth interface with nice looking screens or else they say nasty things about the game. I am not complaining about the player community here, simply noting the reality of the marketplace.

The AIO is much less troublesome to me than many of the other things I am dealing with. And actually, I look forward to coding the AIO most of all. The rest of the work is merely a means to that end.

Steve

Post #: 173
RE: When? - 9/6/2006 2:39:27 AM   
composer99

quote:

Other
Finish the script & dialogue for our barbershop chorus Christmas show. The plot line is that Mrs. Claus takes Santa’s sleigh to a shopping mall in Nome, Alaska in late November where an SUV smashes into it while it is parked. To deliver Xmas presents Santa needs a sleigh, which involves having him deal with repairmen, an insurance claims adjuster, his master accountant elf (no cash on hand), new & used sleigh salespeople, and, finally, buying one over the Internet.

Good to see you're keeping up with things outside of this project, like eating, sleeping, breathing, and the barbershop chorus even if only marginally.

~ Composer99

Post #: 174
RE: When? - 9/6/2006 3:06:57 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99
quote:

Other
Finish the script & dialogue for our barbershop chorus Christmas show. The plot line is that Mrs. Claus takes Santa’s sleigh to a shopping mall in Nome, Alaska in late November where an SUV smashes into it while it is parked. To deliver Xmas presents Santa needs a sleigh, which involves having him deal with repairmen, an insurance claims adjuster, his master accountant elf (no cash on hand), new & used sleigh salespeople, and, finally, buying one over the Internet.

Good to see you're keeping up with things outside of this project, like eating, sleeping, breathing, and the barbershop chorus even if only marginally.

Here is part of the dialogue I wrote for Mrs. Claus on why she has to go to Nome (apologies to John Masefield):

I must down to the stores again, for the mall of the discount sale,
Is a wild mall, with a clear call, I resist, to no avail.

I must down to the stores again, to the lovely shoes, some beaded,
And all I ask is a credit card whose limit’s not exceeded.
And the high heeled pumps, and the satin gowns, and the rooms made just for dressing,
And a string of pearls, so very long, against my skin caressing.

Steve

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 175
RE: When? - 9/6/2006 4:33:25 PM   
Neilster

Bravo!

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 176
RE: When? - 9/22/2006 11:07:51 AM   
Norden_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Gilbert

quote:

Norden

Play ... Beta ... OK, got my terms screwed up.
I just like the info and updates.

Geez, I just saw the screens in the other thread. They are maginificent. Im ready for paytests now!

Norden

Norden
Hexagonally challenged

Post #: 177
RE: When? - 9/27/2006 8:40:49 PM   
Zorachus99

Ooh ooh!

It's nearly that time again!

Where Steve  and passes  to make you go  and wish you could .

Nuff said

Post #: 178
RE: When? - 10/1/2006 12:37:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

October 1, 2006 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of September

Project Management
I am looking at 1st or 2nd quarter 2007 as a release date. I will revise the detailed project plan in the first week of October and have a somewhat improved estimate then.

Communications
Rob Armstrong had family health troubles during September (his wife was in hospital), so very little new was done on creating new graphics.

Beta testers were quiet because I owe them a new version to fix existing bugs.

Dan Hatchen is waiting on me to install what he has already done on NetPlay.

Patrice continues to do a ton of work on the maps, which is discussed in more detail below.

Terje finished his portion of the naval unit descriptions and is posting queries to the forum to fill in some holes. The holes are mostly for fictional naval units that ADG added to the game so players could build more units of each type than was done historically (e.g., more battleships and carriers for the Japanese). Nobly, he has continued on, past his original allotment, in his documentation of naval units. For instance, he notified me that he finished all the German units today.

No activity with the AI Opponent team, mostly because they are waiting on me for more specifics.

No communication with Chris Marinacci over the past month.

Beta Testing
Revising the player interface has rendered the version of the program I am working on (Version 3.01) unplayable from the beta testing point of view. I need to get the code stable before I can upload 3.01 as the new beta test version. With a little luck that should happen in the first 2 weeks of October. As of my last count, I have 70 bugs/suggestions from the testing of version 2.00 and 50 new bugs/remaining interface tasks that I have created/identified over the past 3 months. The latter are due to changes I have made to accommodate Delphi 2006, Theme Engine 6.06, and the replacement of virtually every component on the 100+ forms. In aggregate those required roughly 10,000 edits to existing code, described some more below.

Units
Terje has given me writeups for about half of the naval units. Which is all that he had originally planned on doing. Picking up the slack though, he is now continuing on through more of them. I am extremely grateful, and thankful for every extra one he gets done.

I’ll finish the little routine to process formatted writeups today and then I will go back over all the text writeups that have accumulated and start editing them so they look nice on the screen. More on this below.

Map
I processed the Qattara Depression bitmap and integrated it into the program.

Patrice has now completed a review of the world map with the exception of the western hemisphere. Even there he has the northern half well under way with the forum members critiquing the USA and Canadian map segments. All that remains is the Carribean, Mexico, and Central and South America.

Patrice has also done draft coastlines for all of the world map except the western hemisphere. Those drafts are waiting for Rob to process them into final versions. I tested my little program that cuts large bitmaps into: (1) individual coastal hexes (BMP files) and (2) heavily encoded files for the river and lake bitmap overlays (RVR files). So, the final processing of Rob’s work into files that can be used immediately by the program is ready now. Patrice and the forum members will then be able to evaluate if everything has turned out as expected.

Just to enumerate, Patrice has headed up review and modification of: Scandinavia, China, the USSR from the Urals to the Pacific, Siberia, India, the rest of the Asian mainland, Africa, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, all the islands in the Pacific, and all the islands in the Atlantic, including Iceland and Greenland. He then did draft coastlines for them all. Perhaps the zero meridian should be moved from Greenwich to Marseilles in honor of this feat?

CWIF Conversion
I methodically reviewed all 100+ forms, adding 6 new ones. In so doing, I replaced almost every graphical element (i.e., component) with a new version either from the Theme Engine library or the JEDI library. It took me about half the month simply to nail down which replacements to standardize on and figure out how to set the parameters each component uses. On average, each component has about 50 parameters/variables that can be set. I modify about 4-6 of them from the defaults for each occurrence of the component in the player interface. For example, I set the font type, size, and color for every little box that displays text. And give every component a unique name.

As part of the fall out from this activity, I removed a couple dozen components I inherited from CWIF that were circa the late 1990's.

Game Interface
I had expected to simply run a Theme Engine utility program to convert all the components from old to new. Because Theme Engine could only do about 1/4 of what I wanted it to, I ended up doing almost all the conversions by hand. Now Rob Crandall was very helpful here, by telling me about GExperts, which simplified the conversion process. Still, a lot of individual decisions needed to be made and carefully performed using mouse and keyboard. Because of the change in font to Verdana size 10, all the components had to be repositioned on each form.

There are 5 components that I haven’t replaced yet. These occur rarely and in total appear only 10 times in the program. I’ll decide on which replacements to use for them next week.

I did use a new component I found in the libraries to display progress bars. They let you know that the program is working as it loads in the data and bitmaps when starting a new game or loading a saved game.

I have gone with transparency whenever possible to permit the theme backgrounds of textured colors to show through. For each of the major powers I defined complementary solid colors that were as close to matching the theme backgrounds as I could achieve. I also defined font colors to be used against the backgrounds and solid colors. In combination that lets me create forms that have a consistent appearance for each major power. To make these work correctly, each form checks for the current major power in order to set the color scheme prior to displaying the form. While the Theme Engine components are automated and require no extra code, the use of the other colors (e.g., for radio buttons and check boxes) have small preprocessing routines.

The most extensive use of the new player interface design is for the Opening Screen and Start New Game form. There I preview all 8 major powers for the players, displaying the backgrounds, colors and flags the players will see later throughout the program. Both of those forms received numerous adjustments and refinements during the month as I tried out various solutions. The latest piece of the puzzle for the Start New Game form has been the addition of contextual help text for each optional rule. That I got to work successfully just yesterday.

The contextual help text for optional rules is the prototype for contextual help text for the rest of the program. I am still somewhat undecided whether to use the standard Windows help system. Its benefits are that it is an existing standard and everyone is familiar with it. On the downside, it is awkward, at best, to create content for the system. So far I have only found some commercial packages whose sole purpose is to simplify creating content. It galls me to no end that a format standard requires purchasing extra software just to reformat text files. And then there is always the concern that a purchased software package doesn’t perform as expected. Another negative is that I have almost universally found other Windows help files to be worthless and a waste of time. When you try to find an answer to a question you tend to get one of three types of answers: (1) drivel - Question: “File I/O error”, Answer: “An error occurred during file I/O”, (2) huh? - “No information found, try rephrasing your query”, or (3) fire hydrant - “Here are 20,000 pages of text, enjoy!”

So I will definitely write specific responses for each contextual help message. Whenever possible, those will be extracts from the player’s manual. Indeed, every contextual help message should appear somewhere in the player’s manual. What I am undecided about it the aggregate help system. I would like to have a superstructure that holds everything together. At the present I have several ideas for that, but nothing definitive. There’s no rush though.

In keeping with my philosophy of simplicity, the text descriptions that appear on the screen are based on TXT files included as part of the product. These include, at a minimum, the unit descriptions (air, naval, and HQ), optional rule writeups, tutorial content, and contextual help. Formatting for these files uses combinations of symbols. Currently I am only processing 3 symbols combinations: .P for paragraph, .N for new line, and .T for tab.

MWIF Game Engine
For the first time ever, the call sequence for the program’s starting 70 routines is now documented. That takes the program up to where the players are about to scrap units. This week I’ll extend the call sequence documentation past that and through to completion of scenario setup. At that point, a better structure for the documentation than “call sequence” will be WIF’s “sequence of play”. Very little documentation presently exists on how that is implemented in MWIF.

What the program call sequence documentation has enabled me to do, is intelligently insert the initialization routines for the player interface themes, the tutorial content, and the help system content. I’ll also use it to properly place the initialization routines for PBEM, Internet, and solitaire play. CWIF only initialized the Internet process and that was using DirectX calls, which I am replacing with Indy10 routines.

More work remains on relocating code into modules based on the new game engine design: player interface control, game control, message control, simulation control, etcetera.

Internet - NetPlay
No changes here. But I am close to having the player interface stable so I can start working on this again. Oh, I did some small modifications to the bidding system code here.

Saved Games
I added some new city names for China to the data files which had the indirect effect of rendering all previously saved games unusable. So it goes.

Player’s Manual
The Optional Rules writeups are now read into the program and presented on the screen as contextual help. They still need formatting symbols added (e.g., .P) but that is mindless editing. I want to get back to integrating all the bits and pieces of documentation into the player’s manual, but it keeps sliding down the priority list.

Scenario Information
Nothing new here.

Besides the preliminary work on contextual help described above, I also did some detailed mockups for the Introductory tutorials. I have an Introductory Tutorial form defined and functioning with navigation controls. It displays a bitmapped graphic with accompanying descriptive text. The graphic will almost always be a screen shot and I have determined the process for taking screen shots and preparing them for the tutorial form. The software I am using for that is HyperSnap which has worked extremely well for me over the past 6 months. I’ll do a few more tutorial pages next month to build my understanding and confidence in the process of creating the tutorials.

Nothing new here.

Other
New refrigerator purchased this month, which definitely improves the quality of life. My wife wants a whole new kitchen (est. - $25,000), but that won’t happen until MWIF product 1 is released. As one of my side interests, I have done the layout for the new kitchen with measurements and dimensions for everything. That was needed so we could be sure the new refrigerator would fit into the new floor plan.
September summary: Well the player interface is defined and mostly implemented - as far as converting the existing game system to the new graphics. It still needs to be reviewed and revised with respect to functionality. The map graphics received tremendous work by Patrice but virtually none by Rob. Standardization on processing and presenting text is done.

Tasks for October

Communications

Beta Testing
Fix more bugs, so I can get version 3.01 out to the beta testers. It will contain all the map data revisions that Patrice has made, the medium resolution units, and the new interface design.

Map and Units
Start generating coastal bitmaps and river/lake overlays for other sections of the world map.

CWIF Conversion
Thoroughly test the new random number generator (this task smirks at me every time I look at it).

Game Interface
Get the bidding capability to function cleanly so the beta testers can someday play one-on-one over the Internet.

Continue refining the superstructure of the MWIF game engine.

Finish replacing all the old components with new ones from JEDI.

Multiplayer Internet

AI Opponent
Work out detailed rules for several more decision points so the language for the AIO can be finalized.

Player’s Manual
Finish the table of contents and transfer all the various write ups I have done for different portions of MWIF into the Player’s Manual (e.g., Optional Rules, PBEM design).

Start listing all the places the program will use historical video footage, sound, and music.

Continue fleshing out the content for the Introductory Tutorials. Set up forms dedicated to viewing the sequence of play, so they can be used later as an index/table of contents into the context sensitive help files.

Other
Update the mailing list for the chorus so the flyers for the Xmas show can be mailed out in late October. I have been maintaining the database for the chorus for almost 10 years now. It contains over 11,000 names and addresses.
October summary: Debug the changes to the player interface design and release version 3.01 to the beta testers. Start mass production of the rest of the coastal bitmaps. Get the system for playing over the Internet to work.

Steve

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 179
RE: When? - 10/1/2006 1:07:15 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I methodically reviewed all 100+ forms, adding 6 new ones. In so doing, I replaced almost every graphical element (i.e., component) with a new version either from the Theme Engine library or the JEDI library.

May the force be with you Luke

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI