Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Easy movement/combat question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Easy movement/combat question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Easy movement/combat question - 10/9/2006 7:28:06 PM   
Error in 0

Midway in my invasion of France I discovered that some attack are carried out immediately, and can be repeated by following the unit. I recon this is some sort of shock effect. I am about to play the Barbarossa, and this kind of surge would be vital there. Since I did not find the entry describing this feature in the manual, maybe you point me to the correct chapter. Also tip of how to spot such opportunities would be helpful.

I also noted that the "war in europe" scenario is only PBEM. Is there anywhere I might find huge scenarios WW2 era vs computer? And tutorials?

Regard
JT
Post #: 1
RE: Easy movement/combat question - 10/9/2006 7:39:30 PM   
golden delicious

The effect you're describing is a retreat-before-combat. It happens when the effective active defender and reconaissance values of the selected unit is significantly higher than those of the target unit (including bonuses for entrenchment level). Shock affects these strengths but does not have any other affect on the likelihood of an RBC. N.B. that Active Defenders are the main combat elements of your unit- tanks and squads and so on. The other equipment contributes to the defensive number you see on the counter, but does not affect RBCs. Of course the two values will tend to be more or less proportional so you can use the number on the counter as a guide.

Whenever you see a particularly weak unit, especially if it is not entrenched or fortified, it is good practice to find a large (and ideally recon-heavy) unit to attempt to cause an RBC.

Due to the way to the PO works, it is impossible for a multi-front scenario like War in Europe to be played against the PO, no matter how carefully it is programmed. Large scenarios in general are very difficult for the PO to cope with, as it does not have any kind of strategic overview- it can only see one formation and one set of objectives at a time.

Some of the larger scenarios do have objectives programmed for the PO. If you have your heart set on playing a large scenario against the PO, pick one where the PO's force has overwhelming superiority. It is in these that its shortcomings will be least obvious.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/9/2006 7:48:31 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Error in 0)
Post #: 2
RE: Easy movement/combat question - 10/9/2006 10:14:00 PM   
PirateJock

Hi All

Any suggestions on the 'largest' WWII scenario you could play against the PO and be able to get a challenging game?

Cheers

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: Easy movement/combat question - 10/10/2006 11:56:52 AM   
MarcA

quote:

ORIGINAL: PirateJock

Hi All

Any suggestions on the 'largest' WWII scenario you could play against the PO and be able to get a challenging game?

Cheers

The western front scenario claims to be playable against an axis PO.

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 4
RE: Easy movement/combat question - 10/10/2006 10:52:28 PM   
Veers

Western Front that shipped with TOAW III had many event errors. An upgrade has been preformed by the lads over at SZO, though they have yet to reprogram the PO. Please refer to http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1258 for the upgraded scenario, and http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42867 for information regarding the upgrade.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Easy movement/combat question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI