Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to use to play MWIF?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to use to play MWIF? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/9/2006 9:11:54 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

To be honest with you I prefer to play my wargames on my laptop/notebook. Part of the reason is because I can sit in the recliner and still see the t.v. and the other is to keep the missus happy. Something about being in the same room appeases her? The problem is that most wargames work fine such as all 3 Hearts of Irons,War in the Pacific/Uncommon Valor,BiN,Korson Pocket, and most recently Conquest of the Agean but, as stated in the Forge of Freedom forum, some don't run as well. i.e.GG's World at War Demo(never purchased the game though) and the revolutionary war game Birth of America. I am not sure why W@W doesn't run good because the maps in UV/WitP are far superior and detailed when compared to it. My specs are????

AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile
Technology ML-30
800 MHz, 960 MB of RAM

Shall it work?

Mo Reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to MPHopcroft1)
Post #: 91
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/9/2006 11:05:46 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

To be honest with you I prefer to play my wargames on my laptop/notebook. Part of the reason is because I can sit in the recliner and still see the t.v. and the other is to keep the missus happy. Something about being in the same room appeases her? The problem is that most wargames work fine such as all 3 Hearts of Irons,War in the Pacific/Uncommon Valor,BiN,Korson Pocket, and most recently Conquest of the Agean but, as stated in the Forge of Freedom forum, some don't run as well. i.e.GG's World at War Demo(never purchased the game though) and the revolutionary war game Birth of America. I am not sure why W@W doesn't run good because the maps in UV/WitP are far superior and detailed when compared to it. My specs are????

AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile
Technology ML-30
800 MHz, 960 MB of RAM

Shall it work?

Mo Reb

Ram should be fine. What operating system? Your CPU speed is slower than most but I do not know if that will be a problem or not.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 92
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/9/2006 4:03:30 PM   
lordzyplon

well, to finally answer, ive got a 3GHz processor and 700MB of RAM. im running WINXP and somehow my viedo card is pulling 256MB.... i think its taking some of my RAM and some VM.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 93
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/10/2006 12:44:40 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

I am using WinXP

AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile
***(1MB L2 cache, 1.6 GHz)*****
Technology ML-30
800 MHz, 960 MB of RAM

Updated with all the specs

Post #: 94
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/10/2006 2:03:38 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

I am using WinXP

AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile
***(1MB L2 cache, 1.6 GHz)*****
Technology ML-30
800 MHz, 960 MB of RAM

Updated with all the specs

1.6 GHz sounds better.

Steve

Post #: 95
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/10/2006 2:21:32 AM   
wfzimmerman

In beta versions so far, startup is a bit of a snooze but performance is fine on my Centrino laptop.

Post #: 96
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/10/2006 6:15:41 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: wfzimmerman

In beta versions so far, startup is a bit of a snooze but performance is fine on my Centrino laptop.

That is encouraging. We'll just have to wait and see. Either way this baby will be mine, even if it means getting an upgrade on the ole rig.

Mo Reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 97
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/11/2006 8:18:51 AM   
scott64

WinXP Professional
Pentium4   2.80mhz
512 RAM
Radeon 9600

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

Post #: 98
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/11/2006 8:19:20 PM   
OgrePA

Lenovo ThinkPad T60 - Core Duo T2500 2 GHz - 15" TFT
Intel Core Duo 2 GHz processor; 1 GB DDR II SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 - 128mb
100GB HD
WinXP Pro

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 99
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/10/2006 4:11:54 PM   
lugosi

Hopefully the requirements will not be real high. I only have a 733 MHZ WINXP machine. I have 512 meg of memory, though.

Post #: 100
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/10/2006 8:25:59 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: lugosi
Hopefully the requirements will not be real high. I only have a 733 MHZ WINXP machine. I have 512 meg of memory, though.

Thanks for the information. One of the reasons I have this thread going is so I have it clear in my mind for whom I am creating this game. As part of the beta testing we are exploring how well the program runs on difference configurations of hardware and operating systems.

The big hurdle will be once all 5000+ coastal bitmaps are part of the game. Right now we have 762 (~15%), which cover the European and Scandinavian maps.

It's going to require some programming skullduggery on my part to make the game run smoothly with all of 5100 of them.

Steve

(in reply to lugosi)
Post #: 101
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/11/2006 12:53:54 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: lugosi

Ther current beta MWiF is running fine on my 800mhz PC with 384mb ram and Win2000 plus 128mb graphics card. Mind you, there's still a fair bit of graphics plus AI code to be plugged in but I think my PC will still run the game adequately.
Nothing in this post should be taken as a statement of intent to support any particular PC configuration and does not bind Matrix, its heirs and assigns, in any way shape or form to do, say or think anything that may give rise to any legal obligation etc etc.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to lugosi)
Post #: 102
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/15/2006 9:16:55 AM   
bkg1007

Home built:

Athlon 64 X2 3800
2GB DDR Memory
2 120 GB PATA HDD
2 GeForce 6600 GT (SLI) (128MB ea)
Soundblaster Live!
Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2)
Windows Vista RC1 (5600)
5mb Down/256kb up cable modem
Widescreen LCD (1680 X 1050)

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 103
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/16/2006 7:27:09 AM   
rtamesis

Will it run on Vista? I have the default installation of Vista RC1 running on the Parallels Desktop virtual machine on my Intel MacBook Pro, and when the final version is released, I'll be dumping the virtual machine running XP and will try to run all my Windows games on Vista.

(in reply to bkg1007)
Post #: 104
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/16/2006 8:59:14 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtamesis
Will it run on Vista? I have the default installation of Vista RC1 running on the Parallels Desktop virtual machine on my Intel MacBook Pro, and when the final version is released, I'll be dumping the virtual machine running XP and will try to run all my Windows games on Vista.

I have not a clue. First, I do not know what Vista is. Windows XP will be supported, though I cannot promise success on virtual machines running Windows XP.

There will be a small market for this game (though I and many others would be ecstatic if that proves to be otherwise), so supporting a wide variety of hardware and operating systems is simply not feasible.

Ergo, perhaps. And I am sorry if it turns out to be 'no'.

Steve

(in reply to rtamesis)
Post #: 105
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/16/2006 9:18:02 AM   
rtamesis

Windows Vista is Microsoft's replacement OS for XP. Some wags call it Windows XP SP3. They are supposed to release it next year. Release Candidate 1 is still available on Microsoft's website, although they released RC2 to a limited number of testers.

Post #: 106
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/16/2006 4:50:52 PM   
stretch

although you can't do much about it right now, it would be critical in my opinion to be sure this game runs correctly on Vista, or the game will immediately alienate anyone wanting to upgrade to the new OS.  It would give the impression of being "old" way too soon.

(in reply to rtamesis)
Post #: 107
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/16/2006 5:12:44 PM   
CBoehm

uhhh FINALLY able to write something again ...(for some reason I couldnt log in for the last 6 mths ...then I went back and checked some old post and realized my login name was not what I thought it was *ups* ...I pretty much ALWAYS use the same everywhere!)

anyway ...configuration (just got a new one!)

duelcore 3800 AMD
2 GB ram
200 BG harddrive
Graphiccard "something" 3d "whatever" 500 mb-ish
Windows XP
cabal modem

Claus

anyway ...nice be able to write something for once ...and not only read!

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 108
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/16/2006 7:01:10 PM   
jesperpehrson

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHZ
1 GB DDR Memory
60 GB HDD
Radeon 9600 AGP
Realtek AC97 audio
Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2)
2 bps wideband
LCD screen

--------

I just copied this at the best of my abilities. Hope it helps.

(in reply to CBoehm)
Post #: 109
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/16/2006 11:37:39 PM   
bkg1007

I would think running on Vista should be a necessity IMHO. It will be the default OS from Microsoft by the time this game is released. Are any of your Beta testers running the Vista RC? I don't imagine there will be any problem, but still, a good idea to be sure.

I, of course, will volunteer to try running it on RC1 (build 5600) should you require that.

Post #: 110
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/17/2006 12:03:39 AM   
stretch

I'm a beta tester who plans to test on vista once it's released... as soon as I can convince my wife I need to reinstall the home computer again (I don't believe in upgrades.... backup, reformat, clean install is the safe way to go)

(in reply to bkg1007)
Post #: 111
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/17/2006 1:13:43 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: stretch
I'm a beta tester who plans to test on vista once it's released... as soon as I can convince my wife I need to reinstall the home computer again (I don't believe in upgrades.... backup, reformat, clean install is the safe way to go)

I agree : backup, reformat, clean install is the safe way to go.
I'll have a computer running Vista too, when RC2 will be available, and clearly when the retail version comes out.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 112
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/17/2006 2:35:39 AM   
stretch

my wife usually wont let me install pre-release stuff at home.... says it causes too much grief.  But I will work on this one.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 113
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/17/2006 3:47:38 AM   
Zorachus99

I'm using XP 64-Bit/2003x64 dual boot.  I have 4 GB's of addressable memory on a AMD dual-core 4800+ (I run 3 virtual servers in a cloud on 2003 which requires gobs of RAM).  Will those bitmaps all load up for a beefier machine running XP when compared to a smaller?

I guess the question is: are you going to design memory management for a certain amount of memory, and those with more memory will see no value in having more memory?

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 114
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/17/2006 4:37:12 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99
I'm using XP 64-Bit/2003x64 dual boot.  I have 4 GB's of addressable memory on a AMD dual-core 4800+ (I run 3 virtual servers in a cloud on 2003 which requires gobs of RAM).  Will those bitmaps all load up for a beefier machine running XP when compared to a smaller?

I guess the question is: are you going to design memory management for a certain amount of memory, and those with more memory will see no value in having more memory?

The constraints on the bitmaps is not RAM but operating system resources. Windows loads bitmaps differently from other uses for memory and has an upper limit on how much can be in memory at once. I have tested this with the MWIF European map and it will permit me to load the map 1.5 times but not twice. Based on that I estimate I can get about 60-70% of the coastal bitmaps in memory at once. Once Rob provides me with too many, I'll work out a bitmap memory management package. Northern Siberia and South America shouldn't need their coastal bitmaps immediately available at all times.

Steve

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 115
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/17/2006 6:45:32 AM   
Zorachus99

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

The constraints on the bitmaps is not RAM but operating system resources. Windows loads bitmaps differently from other uses for memory and has an upper limit on how much can be in memory at once. I have tested this with the MWIF European map and it will permit me to load the map 1.5 times but not twice. Based on that I estimate I can get about 60-70% of the coastal bitmaps in memory at once. Once Rob provides me with too many, I'll work out a bitmap memory management package. Northern Siberia and South America shouldn't need their coastal bitmaps immediately available at all times.

Bizzare. So rather than have a repository in memory, you'll have to pop the bitmaps out of memory and then later have to reload from disk? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to keep your bitmaps in a structure? I'm just curious if you can allocate larger chunks of memory and de-assemble the bitmaps at need. My assumption is the disk thrashing from paging ram to disk from this option woulnd't be much slower than managing the whole thing yourself (I could be way off on this one). I bet there are other issues I'm much less aware of making my questions invalid...

Post #: 116
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/17/2006 7:19:03 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I have only done a tentative design at this point. I hate to plan things in detail until I have an actual problem/data to work with.

So far the concept is to maintain a fixed number of coastal bitmaps in memory (say 60% = 3000) and to know the frequency with which they are accessed. Actually I will maintain frequency counts for all 5000 bitmaps. When one of the "not in memory" bitmaps is needed I will swap out one of the low frequency ones. Bitmaps that have just been loaded will get a bonus so they are not immediately swapped back out (to prevent thrashing).

Maintaining the counts and "if in memory" processing should take effectively zero time, given the speed of today's machines (500 MHz +). Even the swapping in and out of a bitmap is negligible - provided thrashing is avoided.

There is a good chance the players won't even notice this happening unless they decide to go to zoom level 1 (most visible hexes on the screen) and then start scrolling around aggressively. Or save a couple dozen map views that are scattered all over the globe and then click cycle through them all in sequence. By the way, that's how I will stress test the design to determine its speed of processing.

But this design is only theory at this point.

I do not see this as a big deal, just some fairly straightforward memory management stuff. The game I wrote in 1985 where I only had 128KB available as swap space on the disk and 32KB of RAM for the program, on a 1.2 MHz machine (yes those are 2 K's and an M). Now that was a difficult problem, requiring segmenting the program into self-contained pages.

Steve

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 117
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/17/2006 11:40:34 PM   
Zorachus99

Arigato Steve-San.

Post #: 118
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 10/18/2006 12:44:56 AM   
thrud

I have two machines to play MWIF

Dell Inspiron 8600
xp pro sp2
processor 1.7m
512 MB RAM
video: 9600 pro 128MB

Home built Desktop
AMD 3200+ Athalon XP
1 GB RAM
XP pro SP/2
Geforece 6200 256 MB

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 119
RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to... - 9/18/2007 1:27:17 PM   
Darken

Operating system: Windows 2000 SP 4
CPU: AMD Athlon 1500+
Main memory: 1 GB RAM
Hard Disks: 30 GB (3 boot-partitions) + 160 GB (4 data-partitions)
Display Adaptor: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Monitor: 19 inch flat (1280 x 1024)
Internet connection: none at home (DSL in uni and work)

< Message edited by Darken -- 9/18/2007 1:28:44 PM >

(in reply to thrud)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: What hardware and operating system do you expect to use to play MWIF? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI