Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 2:46:09 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Micah Goodman

The problem with the way that the Navy names its ships is that it has changed from honoring ideas, Independence, ect. Or institutions, President, Congress, ect. Or even geographic areas of the county. Now it centers on appeasing US politicians. Now we have air craft carriers named John C Stennis! Suck up to the Navy and get a ship named after you. How pathetic. I would amend naming ships to not only dead people but if they are politicians they should be dead for at least 50 years. Look at how much animas this thread has kicked up over naming certain ships after recent politicians. It turns my stomach that the worst US President in History (IMHO anyway) has a submarine named after him. Submarines are now named after states. The USS Texas should always be at least a cruiser or something bigger, not a submarine. But I digress; the only way the current policy will go back to the way it was is if Congress makes it a law and not a policy. But politicians are too busy patting themselves on back at how wonderful they are and how they need to be honored by having their name put on a ship that will be around for fifty years. Give me a break.

Well, naming a Trident or Seawolf class after a state is not too bad considering how powerful they are. What bugs me is the three Seawolfs are Seawolf, Jimmy Carter and Connecticut! C'mon, what the heck is going on? Highest bidder gets the name or what? Perhaps companies will start paying for ship names as well as statium names.

USS Fonda Workout, Turner Home Movies, Fox Network etc.

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 10/10/2006 2:49:58 AM >

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Micah Goodman)
Post #: 61
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 3:44:49 AM   
RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

How about naming a CV after a womnan? CVN Monica Levinsky perhaps?

A sub would be better. They are fat and they go down

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 62
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 3:47:43 AM   
RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Note: When Cananda builds a CVN then maybe they will name it the "Molsen" but I doubt it.

Flipper

They would more likley name it "HMCS Hockey"

It is a frightening though..Canucks with a CVN throwing their weight around.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 63
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 4:10:31 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

quote:

Note: When Cananda builds a CVN then maybe they will name it the "Molsen" but I doubt it.

Flipper

They would more likley name it "HMCS Hockey"

It is a frightening though..Canucks with a CVN throwing their weight around.

What would we use as ordinance? Letters of intent? Apology? We are not deliberate enough as a nation...too wishy washy these days.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 64
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 5:11:14 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

What would we use as ordinance? Letters of intent? Apology? We are not deliberate enough as a nation...too wishy washy these days.

Main ordinance = Three (3) French armies and a partridge in a pear tree...

Flipper

< Message edited by flipperwasirish -- 10/10/2006 5:12:04 AM >

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 65
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 5:43:52 AM   
grraven2004

Why does it not surprise me that most of the people critical of the name are NOT Americans.
Once again they don't understand or even try to comprehend what it is we stand for or why we do what we do.

Where would the world be without the United States? I think it would be a much more dangerous place to live.
But then again most of those people would rather cower in their closets then actually meet a threat head on.
Me thinks maybe we should go back to isolationism. Let others deal with their own problems and laugh our butts off when they come begging us to help them.

Just my $.02 worth.

Human by birth

Klingon By choice!

Sig changed per Erik's request

Post #: 66
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 7:47:42 AM   
Brady

I am not to thrilled with the Carrier Namming Either, Some of the Nimitz Class Names are cool by me though. The down side is howeaver realy that were going to be stuck with these Names for a good long time, Given that these Ships I beleave are expected to have service lives of 50 or more years each! I recall also that they dont nead to be refueled (Necular) for like Half that time either.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to grraven2004)
Post #: 67
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 8:57:12 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: grraven2004

Why does it not surprise me that most of the people critical of the name are NOT Americans.
Once again they don't understand or even try to comprehend what it is we stand for or why we do what we do.

Where would the world be without the United States? I think it would be a much more dangerous place to live.
But then again most of those people would rather cower in their closets then actually meet a threat head on.
Me thinks maybe we should go back to isolationism. Let others deal with their own problems and laugh our butts off when they come begging us to help them.

Just my $.02 worth.

I have no idea what naming ships has to do with what you posted. Where is the connection?

Post #: 68
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 10:00:23 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel
Because carriers can operate anywhere there is deep water. They are not dependent on having some friendly country in the vicinity where the US has already built a military base. They are usable against just about any target, not just naval forces. A lot of the aircraft flying ground support in Afganistan and Iraq were carrier based.

The USN carrier battlegroup is the current pinnacle of gunboat diplomacy and power projection. If someone does something we really really don't like, we park one nearby. They tend to improve the hearing and friendliness of whoever we want to talk to just by being there.

I think the fleet carrier has been largely obsolete since 1950. The carrier is the peak development of the capital ship navy. At the turn of the last century, the European powers were trying to one up each other building bigger and better battleships. WW II showed that the battleship was obsolete and carriers/air power trumped battleships. The carrier was the top naval ship in that war.

Today, the carrier is as obsolete as the battleship was in 1941. Aerial refueling and longer range aircraft have made strike missions from extreme long range possible. And island bases can't be sunk (though they can be nuked). New development in anti shipping weapons make the US carriers more and mor vulnerable. The Russians have developed a cruise missile that is virtually impossible to shoot down. The Iranians and Chinese have developed a torpedo capable of 400 mph under water. There are rumors that the torpedo could carry tactical nukes.

Iran has built a vast fleet (hundreds) of small, wooden ships armed with anti shipping and anti aircraft missiles. They also have a number of diesel electric submarines. In the event of a war with Iran, the US Navy would be faced with a navy with the capability of shutting down the Persian Gulf. To open it again, they would have to sink all those subs and wooden ships. In the process, they will lose ships and planes. Possibly even a carrier or two.

Hitler wouldn't let the surface navy go to sea after the loss of the Bismark because the ships were too valuable. The Royal Navy guaranteed that any sortie by the Kreigsmarine would be a costly one. The threat environment for US Navy carriers is getting bad enough that the US may be faced with the same problem. If the carriers become too valuable to risk against an anti shipping threat, then their job will be filled with long range land based air.

Submarines and anti shipping missiles have become good enough and common enough that a 2 bit power with some anti shipping assets can put the US Navy's big ships in check. The day of the carrier is over. Just as the day of the battleship ended when carrier based air became effective and the iron clads ended the days of the ships of the line.

Unfortunately, in a future war, I believe the big deck US carriers are going to be the hunted more than the hunters. A country like Iran knows they can lose 100 ships and it's no big deal if they trade that loss for a Nimitz. The psychological blow to US morale losing a big carrier would be significant. Plus they are virtually irreplaceable. The US today doesn't have the heavy industry it had in 1941. Ironically, it's moved to Asia.

From a mechanical and aestetic point of view, carriers are cool. They are also very expensive and very vulnerable. They have some limited use against enemies with no anti shipping assets, but most potential future enemies have been developing carrier killer technolgies.

Bill

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 69
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 10:10:41 AM   
wdolson

quote:

I was observing just the opposite. I've noticed quite a few Americans having a problem naming carriers after politicians. I live just down I-5 from you (in Clark County) and I've thought the idea was ludicrus from the beginning.

Bill

Post #: 70
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 11:44:39 AM   
Ursa MAior

quote:

If the whole world does not understand what you stand for maybe you should start thinking why is it so.

< Message edited by Ursa MAior -- 10/10/2006 11:47:27 AM >

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 71
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 11:50:07 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior
If the whole world does not understand what you stand for maybe you should start thinking why is it so.

Dont even try. Its not worth the effort. It takes a very special mode of thinking to get into a mentality like that. I'd wager that nothing short of a global cataclism would cause them to snap out of it....and even then its far from certain.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 72
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 11:55:57 AM   
Ursa MAior

No, I am really curious. Until recently I was full with flames when someone denied the paralels of the USSR and current state of the US (at least under Bush Jr.). Now I am more relaxed and really curious.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 73
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 12:16:08 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Personally, I cant give you an answer. I tried to understand it myself in the past and gave up. This mentality strikes me as being based entirely on emotion rather than rational argument.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 74
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 2:20:55 PM   
Ron Saueracker

I see this thread being sewn up and dropped overboard very soon.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 75
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 2:33:50 PM   
Onime No Kyo

I wont miss it.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 76
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 3:24:33 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Today, the carrier is as obsolete as the battleship was in 1941. Aerial refueling and longer range aircraft have made strike missions from extreme long range possible.

Tell that to the guys who have to fly the missions. And this is simply impractical if missions need to be flown day in, day out. Only carriers can hit and stay. That has not changed, and is not going to change.

quote:

And island bases can't be sunk (though they can be nuked). New development in anti shipping weapons make the US carriers more and mor vulnerable. The Russians have developed a cruise missile that is virtually impossible to shoot down.

If it is in the air, it can be shot down. Maybe not easily, but if an offensive weapon proves effective, a counter to it will be found.

quote:

The Iranians and Chinese have developed a torpedo capable of 400 mph under water. There are rumors that the torpedo could carry tactical nukes.

Weapons untested in battle do not render other weapons obsolete.

quote:

Iran has built a vast fleet (hundreds) of small, wooden ships armed with anti shipping and anti aircraft missiles. They also have a number of diesel electric submarines. In the event of a war with Iran, the US Navy would be faced with a navy with the capability of shutting down the Persian Gulf. To open it again, they would have to sink all those subs and wooden ships. In the process, they will lose ships and planes. Possibly even a carrier or two.

You are essentially describing the situation facing the USN as they closed in on the Home Islands in WWII. It was indeed very expensive. But while coast defense weapons are very useful for poor powers with no navy of their own, any maritime nation must have a blue-water fleet that includes capital ships. A maritime nation without such a navy can continue to exist as a maritime nation only at the pleasure of a nation that does possess such a navy. Read up on your Mahan.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 10/10/2006 5:18:21 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 77
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 5:39:54 PM   
Rainerle

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Weapons untested in battle do not render other weapons obsolete.

Uhh... just for the record (I'm not taking sides here), but in WW II the aircraft carrier was not proven as well and by the time WW II started the BB was already outdated (only most admirals didn't know/wouldn't believe). Doesn't the nuclear bomb make everything obsolete ???

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 78
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 6:29:22 PM   
tsimmonds

There's this little problem with nukes: you can't use them. You can only threaten to use them. And if the other guy calls your bluff, then what?

BBs were not obsolete until CVs demonstrated that they were. And even then, BBs were not strictly obsolete. They were still useful. They were merely displaced from their position as the most important capital ship.

There will always be capital ships as long as there is a need for sea power. As long as there is a need for air power at sea, CVs will be the most important capital ships. Until aircraft are no longer useful in sea control, CVs will be indispensible.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 10/10/2006 6:31:26 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 79
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 6:55:02 PM   
Laxplayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
The Russians have developed a cruise missile that is virtually impossible to shoot down. The Iranians and Chinese have developed a torpedo capable of 400 mph under water. There are rumors that the torpedo could carry tactical nukes.
Bill

It's called the Shkval torpedo (Russian for 'Squall'), not because it was developed by Russian-speaking chinese and iranians, but because it was developed in the late 90's by the Russians. It was then sold to the Chinese in 2001, and at that time it was only capable of 230mph underwater. In fact, some theorize that testing it was what possibly sank the Kursk.

Though most think that with the technology, they should quickly advance to supersonic speed. Thoughts are that they could apply the bubble screen technology to manned submersibles and that sub-to-sub warfare would start to resemble current air-to-air combat with subs travelling at supersonic speed, and firing supersonic underwater missles at each other.

The technology is likely still years away from battlefield deployment. This is still Groom Lake and skunk-works kind of stuff, not 'a few Iranians in a canoe' kind of technology.

< Message edited by Laxplayer -- 10/10/2006 6:58:20 PM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 80
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 7:31:46 PM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Laxplayer

<snip super torpedo stuff>

The technology is likely still years away from battlefield deployment. This is still Groom Lake and skunk-works kind of stuff, not 'a few Iranians in a canoe' kind of technology.

Are you sure? 'Cause I'd really, really like to see some video of some Iranians in a canoe trying to launch this thing.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to Laxplayer)
Post #: 81
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 7:50:08 PM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Laxplayer

<snip super torpedo stuff>

Are you sure? 'Cause I'd really, really like to see some video of some Iranians in a canoe trying to launch this thing.

dtravel, your video comment you made me spill my coffee.....LOL

Flipper

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 82
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 8:33:12 PM   
Micah Goodman

Well, I am an American. I think that most of the people who are critical of the USN's naming policy are critical of how politics have entered into the policy and not merit. Insdtead of naming aircraft carriers after an individual US President why not just name it the USS President? It revives an historic US ship name and keeps politics out of how we name our ships.

Post #: 83
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 8:45:16 PM   
Ursa MAior

Micah

Politics have entered spaces that were thought impenetrable before and not only in your country. So sad is the state of things in the western culture.

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 84
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 8:58:20 PM   
wworld7

quote:

Well, I am an American. I think that most of the people who are critical of the USN's naming policy are critical of how politics have entered into the policy and not merit. Insdtead of naming aircraft carriers after an individual US President why not just name it the USS President? It revives an historic US ship name and keeps politics out of how we name our ships.

Micah,

The naming policy has not changed. Politics have ALWAYS been involved with naming United States warships, parks, trees etc...

And if it takes naming a CV "USS Daffy Duck" to get it approved, well that is a tradeoff made very often in Congress. And the DOD and Navy can live easily with such things.

Flipper

P.S. Note: I would be glad to serve on the USS Daffy Duck.

Post #: 85
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 9:19:01 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

Yup, USS President would be very appropriate.

Still think the navies which have christened capitol ships with names like Invincible, Thunderer, Devastation, Hero, Warspite, Glorious etc have it right. Italy, France, England, Japan...all seem to have a preference for this.

Post #: 86
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 9:57:26 PM   
Thilo

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

How about naming a CV after a womnan? CVN Monica Levinsky perhaps?

A sub would be better. They are fat and they go down

Two new subs: USS Levinsky and USS Clinton?
Seems to be appropriate as both are eternally connected with wet cigars.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 87
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 10:40:42 PM   
Akos Gergely

Well I would say the best names would be to bring back the good old ladies from WWII like Lex, Sara etc...

As for wdolson's and irrelevant's points both of them have some right. In fact this whole blue water navy vs smaller weapons (let's say brown water navy) dates back for ages and it started about in the Napoleonic ages, basically from those times when some ships greatly exceeded others in combat value. And of course with the advent powerful and relatively small/cheap/easy to build weapons which can be produced in large quantites these things become more and more complicated for the blue water navy. Still without a true blue-water navy it is extremely difficult to project power in any serious means and let me note that so far in history (at least to the best of my knowledge) there were no real examples for a blue water navy to be defeated by a brown one.

(in reply to Thilo)
Post #: 88
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 11:05:55 PM   
RUPD3658

quote:

P.S. Note: I would be glad to serve on the USS Daffy Duck.

You know that if it got blown up all you would have to do is pull the bridge back into place, dust it off, and it would be good as new.

Now the USS Wile E. Coyote I would be afraid to serve on.

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 89
RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened - 10/10/2006 11:08:00 PM   
Williamb

The problem has been that the US navy really hasnt had a strong naval foe since WWII.

So no Naval leaders have had the chance to distinguish themselves.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Slightly OT: Last of the Nimitz class CVs Christened Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI