Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/15/2006 12:57:52 AM   
Okimaw

How about an all out war between the USSR and the allies. On a scale like DNO or something of that order, none of this Patton 45 stuff

I have returned

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 31
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/16/2006 11:43:12 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..Invasion Australia..

Be more specific. I don't think an invasion of the entire continent was even remotely practical. So do you envisage the Japanese just seizing Darwin, or making a more ambitious assault on Perth or even Queensland? I started to look into the former a while back, as it would probably be the most realistic, but didn't get very far.

..just the usable bits..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Post #: 32
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/16/2006 4:48:42 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

Be more specific. I don't think an invasion of the entire continent was even remotely practical. So do you envisage the Japanese just seizing Darwin, or making a more ambitious assault on Perth or even Queensland? I started to look into the former a while back, as it would probably be the most realistic, but didn't get very far.

..just the usable bits..

That's really not "more specific", Richard.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 33
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/16/2006 7:16:31 PM   
Panama Red

A New Guinea Campaign using the PO (versus PBEM).

Post #: 34
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/16/2006 8:09:20 PM   
JAMiAM

I'd like to see a semi-historical "Sedan to Abbeville" scenario that would start with, or immediately following, the breakthrough at Sedan. Use 6 hour turns, at 2.5 Km per hex, battalion level (for a huge monster grand tactical version) or half day turns at 5 Km per hex, regimental level for a more "standard" operational level game.

Basic assumptions driving the hypothetical aspects would be:
Dutch offer more resistance, and bad weather (or luck) spoil the airborne ops in the Netherlands and at Eben Emal. Bridges over the Meuse are blown early, which along with the above, slows the Wehrmacht's progress in the north, allowing the Allies a better chance at disengaging their forces along the Dyle Line to try to break back through. Gamelin suffers a debilitating stroke, and DeGaulle takes over. CW forces choose to fight back toward Paris, and to pinch off the schwerpunkt, instead of retreating toward the Channel ports.

The map needs to be big enough to cover the rough rectangle of London - Cologne - Nancy - Paris. This way there is still some operational flexibility as the Germans can maintain a threat against Paris, and not be hamstrung by being forced to follow the historical path to the sea.

Post #: 35
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/16/2006 8:24:02 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

Gamelin suffers a debilitating stroke, and DeGaulle takes over.

Sorry, but this really is wild fantasy. De Gaulle was a divisional commander in 1940 and only came to prominence through the political rather than the military route. Weygand was an obvious and good choice to replace Gamelin, but frankly the confusion produced by replacing Gamelin was a disaster in itself. Finally, I suspect De Gaulle's vigour as a divisional commander would not translate well to higher levels. See Rommel's performance in high command.

quote:

allowing the Allies a better chance at disengaging their forces along the Dyle Line to try to break back through.

If the Germans haven't dashed across the Meuse, then the Allies aren't going to disengage from the Dyle. One can't have the retreat without the breakthrough which caused it, and once the breakthrough has happened, whether the bridges are intact or not isn't really important. The Germans aren't going to wait for follow up forces or resupply.

quote:

CW forces choose to fight back toward Paris, and to pinch off the schwerpunkt, instead of retreating toward the Channel ports.

The British (no Commonwealth troops at this time, though 1st Canadian was slated to ship over in June) forces were attempting to pinch off the schwerepunkt for several days. When the French counterattacks failed to materialise, they cut their losses and got away with the only trained personnel the British army had available. Of course, with your other suggestions this is moot anyway since the Germans won't get to the sea quite so soon. It will probably take them another week or two.

I'm not entirely keen on the sort of scenario which calls up half a dozen "what-ifs" tenuous all at once. It is much more interesting to come up with one single change which has a marked effect on the battlefield; one could have the Germans deployed for their original Schlieffen Plan redux, for example. That's something that nearly happened. A believable hypothetical will make the game much more compelling.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 8/16/2006 8:28:05 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 36
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/16/2006 9:01:50 PM   
hank

my 2 cents

Kursk South (only the southern sector) - regiment/companies; 2.5 Km scale; 1/2 day turns
Guadalcanal (include everything possible to model the naval aspect - one of the greatest naval/land/air battle of WWII IMHO - especially the naval engagements)
Huertgen Forest (I think Aachen was already mentioned)

Is there a Lorraine campaign for ToaW?  If not, include it on my list.

Rauss' battles along the Aksay River (west of Stalingrad)

... just a few on my list of battles  ... if some of these are already created, let me know where?

hank

Post #: 37
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/16/2006 9:11:01 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank

Guadalcanal (include everything possible to model the naval aspect - one of the greatest naval/land/air battle of WWII IMHO - especially the naval engagements)

There's a couple of Guadalcanal scenarios. I think you'll be disappointed if you want to play out the naval aspect in TOAW, though. This is best modelled with events.

quote:

Is there a Lorraine campaign for ToaW?

There are several small to medium sized scenarios.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 38
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/18/2006 1:18:25 AM   
TOCarroll

I'd like some small scenarios. Something like SPI's (boardgame) 4 Battles in North Afrika, or the Waterloo 4 Pack. There are a set of Easter Front scenarion (Road to Moscow), that are kind of like that. Or Ardennes, 40 & 44. Some scenarions, not too big a map, or too many turns, but a related theme. (North Afrika had Crudaser, Cauldiron, 1st Alimen and Kasserine, all at regimental scale.

Basically a WW2 battle that can be played in an evening.''

Tom OC

"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).

(in reply to Der Oberst)
Post #: 39
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/18/2006 1:46:19 AM   
PaladinSix

quote:

quote:

Gamelin suffers a debilitating stroke, and DeGaulle takes over.

Sorry, but this really is wild fantasy. De Gaulle was a divisional commander in 1940 and only came to prominence through the political rather than the military route. Weygand was an obvious and good choice to replace Gamelin, but frankly the confusion produced by replacing Gamelin was a disaster in itself. Finally, I suspect De Gaulle's vigour as a divisional commander would not translate well to higher levels. See Rommel's performance in high command.

quote:

allowing the Allies a better chance at disengaging their forces along the Dyle Line to try to break back through.

If the Germans haven't dashed across the Meuse, then the Allies aren't going to disengage from the Dyle. One can't have the retreat without the breakthrough which caused it, and once the breakthrough has happened, whether the bridges are intact or not isn't really important. The Germans aren't going to wait for follow up forces or resupply.

quote:

CW forces choose to fight back toward Paris, and to pinch off the schwerpunkt, instead of retreating toward the Channel ports.

The British (no Commonwealth troops at this time, though 1st Canadian was slated to ship over in June) forces were attempting to pinch off the schwerepunkt for several days. When the French counterattacks failed to materialise, they cut their losses and got away with the only trained personnel the British army had available. Of course, with your other suggestions this is moot anyway since the Germans won't get to the sea quite so soon. It will probably take them another week or two.

I'm not entirely keen on the sort of scenario which calls up half a dozen "what-ifs" tenuous all at once. It is much more interesting to come up with one single change which has a marked effect on the battlefield; one could have the Germans deployed for their original Schlieffen Plan redux, for example. That's something that nearly happened. A believable hypothetical will make the game much more compelling.

One can't help but feel that GD is not a fan of "alternative history." Neither am I really, but I think most of the interesting battles (that are viable for TOAW), seem to have been done. Its now become a question of either throwing some bizarre situations into the mix, or taking the old scenarios and making them better.

PaladinSix

Post #: 40
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/18/2006 5:24:48 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaladinSix

One can't help but feel that GD is not a fan of "alternative history."

You'd be mistaken. I'm a fan of believable alternate history. Colin Wright's Seelowe, for example, is one of the most enjoyable scenarios I've played. Too bad the old so-and-so won't get off his arse and finish the thing.

quote:

Neither am I really, but I think most of the interesting battles (that are viable for TOAW), seem to have been done. Its now become a question of either throwing some bizarre situations into the mix, or taking the old scenarios and making them better.

Well, there's quite a range of battles which haven't yet been done- just take a look at this thread for some examples. On top of that, a great many battles that have been done haven't really been done very well.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 41
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/18/2006 10:06:59 PM   
JMS2

quote:

I'd like to see a semi-historical "Sedan to Abbeville" scenario that would start with, or immediately following, the breakthrough at Sedan. Use 6 hour turns, at 2.5 Km per hex, battalion level (for a huge monster grand tactical version) or half day turns at 5 Km per hex, regimental level for a more "standard" operational level game.

Basic assumptions driving the hypothetical aspects would be:
Dutch offer more resistance, and bad weather (or luck) spoil the airborne ops in the Netherlands and at Eben Emal. Bridges over the Meuse are blown early, which along with the above, slows the Wehrmacht's progress in the north, allowing the Allies a better chance at disengaging their forces along the Dyle Line to try to break back through. Gamelin suffers a debilitating stroke, and DeGaulle takes over. CW forces choose to fight back toward Paris, and to pinch off the schwerpunkt, instead of retreating toward the Channel ports.

The map needs to be big enough to cover the rough rectangle of London - Cologne - Nancy - Paris. This way there is still some operational flexibility as the Germans can maintain a threat against Paris, and not be hamstrung by being forced to follow the historical path to the sea.

I have been studying this scenario for some time, but after reading "The Blitzkrieg Legend" (Highly recommendable BTW) I have concluded that such an scenario could only be made at regimental level and needs to be set up to start at May 10 with a free deployment. Otherwise, the nuances of the French system of command and discontrol would mean an easy win for the Germans.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 42
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/19/2006 4:02:20 AM   
TOCarroll

While we're at it....and this IS a monster. How about a scenario (corps level) exploring if the Raeder plan was feasable? Or at least if 4 panzer divisions could take the middle east in late 40 - early 41, as suggeuested by Ritter von Thoma (OKH Study). OR, assume Russia is flanked from the south by an Italo-German Panzer Army(s), with Turkey a wobbly neutral, and start Barbarossa from there? (This would assume a TO for starting 15 May, with Greece & Italy still at war, or Starting 22 June, with Greece & Yugoslovakia overrun). Pipe dream  but as the Admiral said, "The Russian situation would appear in an entirely different context. Perhaps implausable, but it did scare the hell outof Uncle Joe for a few months.

"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).

(in reply to JMS2)
Post #: 43
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/19/2006 10:20:06 AM   
JMS2

Well, for case 2 you can pick up Campaign for North Africa and just add the Panzer divisions, but you will have to cut down Axis supply by a significant amount.

(in reply to TOCarroll)
Post #: 44
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/19/2006 2:59:35 PM   
TOCarroll

I may well to that, just to see. The problem is, the optimal supply situation would be ahistorical: Leave the Italian unmotorized infantry at home, or greatly reduce their numbers. The armour and motorized troops generally fought with a much higher level of proficiency, even though they had aful equipment, and uninspired leadership (in general). Look at the performance of the Arterie Division, the Bersargli Units, ect. Unfortunately, with no Italians (or almost none) there was no real reason for Hitler (not the most logical person) to want to send troops to Africa. It would be an interesting study, but a Very BIG "What IF?".

Also, the supply situation can be radically improved (e.g. reduced sinkings) by using Tunis and Bizertia as the main port of entry. Costs a LOT more gas to send stuff to the front, but the sea route is MUCH shorter. I just finished winning a (COW) scenario called War in Eurpe by wiping out the French (in the Fall of 39) and running the Brits of of Africa and the Middle East in 1940, followed by Barbarossa in the Spring of 1941.  Shows you the level of the PO in THAT scenario, hunh?   Still, it was fun, and could be tweeked to make it a little (ok a lot) more realistic. The main problem was the lack of supply constraint. 

(in reply to JMS2)
Post #: 45
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/19/2006 4:40:53 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOCarroll

While we're at it....and this IS a monster. How about a scenario (corps level) exploring if the Raeder plan was feasable? Or at least if 4 panzer divisions could take the middle east in late 40 - early 41, as suggeuested by Ritter von Thoma (OKH Study). OR, assume Russia is flanked from the south by an Italo-German Panzer Army(s), with Turkey a wobbly neutral, and start Barbarossa from there? (This would assume a TO for starting 15 May, with Greece & Italy still at war, or Starting 22 June, with Greece & Yugoslovakia overrun). Pipe dream  but as the Admiral said, "The Russian situation would appear in an entirely different context. Perhaps implausable, but it did scare the hell outof Uncle Joe for a few months.

Colin Wright was working on an Operation Orient scenario but this is not even at playtest stage yet. He'd filled in a lot of stuff but this sort of thing would need masses of events. The scenario runs from April 1941 through I think late 1942. His map's 10km/hex as I recall, basically regiment scale, with Russia off-map. The focus of the scenario would be figuring out whether or not it would be possible for the Axis to win the war in the Mediterranean, with any consequences for Russia (probably minimal, supplying a force through Anatolia would be a nightmare) left to the imagination.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to TOCarroll)
Post #: 46
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/19/2006 4:48:57 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: JMS2

Well, for case 2 you can pick up Campaign for North Africa and just add the Panzer divisions, but you will have to cut down Axis supply by a significant amount.

Well, I get the impression that if the Luftwaffe had kept up constant air pressure on Malta that the place could have been made to surrender (an invasion would have been impractical if not suicidal). This would be the obvious first step in a Mediterranean gambit, and would lead to a substantially improved supply situation, though the poor Libyan infrastructure would be a problem. Alternatively, as TOCarroll notes, there was the possibility of using the excellent facilities at Bizerte, which would ammeliorate the need to knock out Malta and also improve the ports bottleneck. The rail line as far as Gabes means the additional road distance is only about 300 miles, as compared to more like 1200 from Tripoli to El Alamein. The only reason this didn't happen as I understand it was that Hitler wasn't interested in cutting any sort of deal with the French.

Colin wanted to cover all this in Orient. Someone needs to kick-start his designing again.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to JMS2)
Post #: 47
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 8/19/2006 4:49:42 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Still, it was fun, and could be tweeked to make it a little (ok a lot) more realistic.

You should try Europe Aflame. Better yet, try my version of Europe Aflame- though that's COW only.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to TOCarroll)
Post #: 48
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 9/6/2006 1:27:45 AM   
Janet Reno

How about a "what if"?. As in what if Hitler stayed out of it and let the generals do their thing. 1) Sealion happens and succeds. 2) Russia falls because no troops are sent to help the Italians in Greece and the invasion happens months earlier, thus no winter problems.Which then puts them with nothing left to do except for Japan. With Russia now a part of the fatherland Germany is now in their backyard. Japan is busy with America, Germany strikes and can get their hands on the Jap navy and turn it's eyes on the grand prize....AMERICA!!... Can do??

"You can get further with a gun and a kind word than just a kind word alone"-Al Capone

(in reply to Der Oberst)
Post #: 49
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 9/6/2006 1:39:45 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Janet Reno

How about a "what if"?. As in what if Hitler stayed out of it and let the generals do their thing.

1) Guderian's ideas are sidelined. The concept of the Panzer Division never gains the prominence it historically did.
2) The Schlieffen Plan-redux goes ahead. France is still fighting at the end of 1940.

Anyway, Sealion wouldn't have worked as things stood, and the generals knew better than to try, and Greece delayed Barbarossa by weeks not months.

quote:

the grand prize....AMERICA!!... Can do??

Oh, you wanted a Germany-invades-America scenario? You should have said so. There are already two or three out there.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Janet Reno)
Post #: 50
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 9/6/2006 2:08:12 AM   
Szilard

quote:

Anyway, Sealion wouldn't have worked as things stood, and the generals knew better than to try ...

Well, not Manstein, for one. He says in his memoirs he thought they should have tried it. God knows how he came to that conclusion, though.

Post #: 51
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 11/9/2006 9:11:17 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Szilard

quote:

Anyway, Sealion wouldn't have worked as things stood, and the generals knew better than to try ...

Well, not Manstein, for one. He says in his memoirs he thought they should have tried it. God knows how he came to that conclusion, though.

Well, Manstein wasn't talking completely through his hat. He was in command of a corps assigned to the first wave, so he must have gained some experience with the various practical problems that arose.

On the other hand, it doesn't follow that the operation would have worked just because Manstein said it would have, nor did Manstein speak for the German senior commanders as a whole. Rundstedt (who was theoretically in command of the whole operation) simply ignored it, dismissing every attempt to bring it up for discussion, and Raeder took largely the same attitude from the Navy's point of view. Ditto for the Luftwaffe.

So it wasn't a matter of everyone else pushing and Hitler ruining the party. It was more a matter of the more junior ranks automatically assuming that if France had been dinner, England must be dessert, but the doubts growing as one went up the chain of command. When Brauchitsch had a look at what the Navy proposed for a first wave, he announced he 'might just as well feed his troops into a sausage machine.' Overweening confidence and the recent discovery that war was fun notwithstanding, the big picture (Royal Navy, no landing craft, no air supremacy) just wasn't that appealling.

If Hitler had been actively pushing Seelowe, it would have been attempted. However, since he was doing more or less the opposite, it wasn't.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 52
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 11/9/2006 9:26:01 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: geozero

(well pre-ww2, but still).

Italian campaign in Ethiopia...

I've looked at it, and I don't think the original Italian invasion of Ethiopia would work as a scenario. The main problem is the thoroughly pre-modern nature of the Ethiopian armed forces. They just didn't behave -- couldn't have behaved -- in the militarily orthodox way that the OPART model implies. Try reading Anthony Mockler's Haile Selassie's War.

On the other hand, it would be difficult, but I think one could make a good scenario out of the Commonwealth conquest of Ethiopia from June 1940 through about June 1941. This becomes even truer if one doesn't try to slavishly copy history but allows the Italians to adopt a more aggressive attitude in the opening months. As some preliminary notes, one wants (a)the various points vital to the British in the neighborhood of Ethiopia, (b) very low Italian supply, (c) very low Italian formation proficiency, and (d) Ethiopian 'Patriot' units that will instantly appear if the Italians weaken their garrisons anywhere. Here, Mockler's book is again a good (if not perfect) source, and so are volumes one and two of Playfair's The Mediterranean and the Middle East.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 53
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 11/9/2006 5:35:37 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Well, Manstein wasn't talking completely through his hat. He was in command of a corps assigned to the first wave, so he must have gained some experience with the various practical problems that arose.

On the other hand, it doesn't follow that the operation would have worked just because Manstein said it would have, nor did Manstein speak for the German senior commanders as a whole. Rundstedt (who was theoretically in command of the whole operation) simply ignored it, dismissing every attempt to bring it up for discussion, and Raeder took largely the same attitude from the Navy's point of view. Ditto for the Luftwaffe.

Once one is armed with the 20:20 hindsight knowledge that the alternative to Seelowe was Barbarossa, etc. and a two front war, the objections raised from the viewpoint of 1940 probably would have seemed far less significant.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 54
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 11/9/2006 6:35:08 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Once one is armed with the 20:20 hindsight knowledge that the alternative to Seelowe was Barbarossa, etc. and a two front war, the objections raised from the viewpoint of 1940 probably would have seemed far less significant.

I'd argue- and in due course so too would Colin- that the reasons why Barbarossa failed are far more trivial than the reasons why Seelowe was never attempted.

Barbarossa played to Germany's strengths, more or less. Seelowe would have seen her relying most heavily on her weakest suit.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 55
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 11/9/2006 8:01:06 PM   
TOCarroll

quote:

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 56
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 11/9/2006 8:14:10 PM   
TOCarroll

Well, so much for qoutes. Manstein was Germany's most accomplished strategist (say most military historians), and he certainly was capable. HOWEVER, upon his appointment to Army Group Don (Stalingrad releif force), he stated that he could relieve Stalingrad, and the garrison should NOT try to break out before his troops arrived. He did change his tune quickly, once he had a few dats to think about it. Another blunder was his insistence that The Wermacht continue the Kursk offensive, after Hitler ordered it called off. Finally, and most telling (to me), the Lost Battles (Manstein's memoirs) adequitely that the man was a complete liar, or suffering from Altzheimers. Manstien was a great strategist, but severly handicapped by always wanting to be on the winning side. His opinion on Sea Lion, of course, can never be proved. However...I would not want to be the German General in charge, particularly giving that co-operation with the Luftwaffe (which suffered considerable losses in the pre-invasion battle, even assuming they won) would mean having to depend on Herman Goering, not usually described as a military genius.

That said, I like Sea Lion games, but they are What IF.

(in reply to TOCarroll)
Post #: 57
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 11/9/2006 8:21:31 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

I'd argue- and in due course so too would Colin- that the reasons why Barbarossa failed are far more trivial than the reasons why Seelowe was never attempted.

Barbarossa played to Germany's strengths, more or less. Seelowe would have seen her relying most heavily on her weakest suit.

That is true. However, if we are to grant Germany hindsight, immediately starting to plan on invading Britain once the Battle of France had been decided would have provided Germany with one of her best chances to definitively win World War Two.

...I suppose the other would have been to begin conscienciously pursuing a blockade/peripheral strategy against Britain while awaiting a Russian onslaught. Then Britain is progressively isolated and asphaxiated. When Russia attacks Finland or something in 1941, Germany takes leadership of the forces of 'Western Civilization' against the Asiatic Jewish-Communist menace. Britain (and the United States) is left in a morally dubious position as Hitler leads the German-dominated forces of Western Europe eastward to win the war against that era's 'terrorism'. It all ends with Germany in Europe as a power analogous to the United States in the New World. The Nazi model of the ideal society becomes what 'secular democracy' is to the West of today.

This latter strategy might actually be better for Germany in the long run than even a successful Seelowe. Seelowe tends to open the door to a Europe ruled by Germany simply through force. The relatively passive strategy of the second approach leads to Germany taking up her new position with the consent of much of the governed. France, Spain, Italy, Rumania, Hungary, Finland, Sweden, Bulgaria have all more or less voluntarily been co-opted into a new German-dominated order -- and Holland, Denmark, and Norway would probably be allowed to join their ranks. This is a system much more likely to last. One could even visualize a Britain eventually occupying a position vaguely analogous to that occupied by Russia with respect to the West today.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 58
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 11/9/2006 8:50:17 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Well, so much for qoutes. Manstein was Germany's most accomplished strategist (say most military historians), and he certainly was capable. HOWEVER, upon his appointment to Army Group Don (Stalingrad releif force), he stated that he could relieve Stalingrad, and the garrison should NOT try to break out before his troops arrived.

That whole chapter is interesting. One writer (I forget who) argues that Manstein knew, but could not openly admit (even to himself), that the Stalingrad garrison had to be sacrificed. That is to say, if it tried to break out, even if it succeeded, it would be temporarily useless as a military force (200,000 half-disarmed and half-starved refugees) while the entirety of the Red Army would be free to pour westwards against the frail German defences. On the other hand, if it simply stayed put, it would be destroyed in the end, but it would tie down a large part of the Red Army long enough for the Germans to construct a defensible line to the West. So Stalingrad had to be held -- and hard cheese for those who happened to be the ones who had to do it.
quote:

He did change his tune quickly, once he had a few dats to think about it. Another blunder was his insistence that The Wermacht continue the Kursk offensive, after Hitler ordered it called off.

Others have argued that is what should have been done. I believe Manstein's position was that had the Germans persevered, they could have destroyed much of the Soviet offensive potential and thus gained a chance to recover themselves. As it was, once the Germans suspended their attack, the Russians were able to immediately go over to the offensive themselves. So while I don't really know all that much about the situation at the time, I'm not convinced Manstein's argument didn't have merit.
quote:

Finally, and most telling (to me), the Lost Battles (Manstein's memoirs) adequitely that the man was a complete liar, or suffering from Altzheimers. Manstien was a great strategist, but severly handicapped by always wanting to be on the winning side. His opinion on Sea Lion, of course, can never be proved.

I wouldn't call Lost Battles evidence that Manstein was a 'complete liar.' It is, however, hard not to notice that he seems to have invariably been sure that the situation called for all available forces to be put under his command. Wherever Manstein happened to be, that's where the schwerepunkt belonged, that seems to have been the gist of it. Had he been assigned to Finland, no doubt Lost Battles would contain an excellent argument to the effect that if only twenty German divisions had been sent there, the war could have been won.
quote:

However...I would not want to be the German General in charge, particularly giving that co-operation with the Luftwaffe (which suffered considerable losses in the pre-invasion battle, even assuming they won) would mean having to depend on Herman Goering, not usually described as a military genius.

That said, I like Sea Lion games, but they are What IF.

It's all very interesting. One factor that is hard to evaluate is the effect of German confidence and elan, which after France were sky-high. Take a look at Crete -- and at the German position there at the close of the first day. At the time, they really were capable of overcoming such piffling obstacles as complete failure.

The German army of the time was a revolutionary army in the sense that most of the men were imdued with the goals of the whole, and able to keep working towards those goals even without any direction and in spite of setbacks that would utterly demoralize most forces. German forces could have been thrown ashore in Southern Britain in almost any state of disorder and even with the most severe losses and still bid fair to establish a defensible beachhead.

Now of course not all the troops of a German first wave could have been trained up to the standard of the Fallschirmjager at Crete, and of course even the most committed Nazi can't do much if he's been drowned out in the Channel, but the factor of morale in all this cannot be simply dismissed. Churchill was being foolish when he wrote that he had hoped the Germans would try an invasion; he would have been running a very grave risk if they had.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 11/9/2006 8:58:11 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to TOCarroll)
Post #: 59
RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? - 11/9/2006 9:03:23 PM   
Szilard

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

That is true. However, if we are to grant Germany hindsight, immediately starting to plan on invading Britain once the Battle of France had been decided would have provided Germany with one of her best chances to definitively win World War Two.

...I suppose the other would have been to begin conscienciously pursuing a blockade/peripheral strategy against Britain while awaiting a Russian onslaught. Then Britain is progressively isolated and asphaxiated. When Russia attacks Finland or something in 1941, Germany takes leadership of the forces of 'Western Civilization' against the Asiatic Jewish-Communist menace. Britain (and the United States) is left in a morally dubious position as Hitler leads the German-dominated forces of Western Europe eastward to win the war against that era's 'terrorism'. It all ends with Germany in Europe as a power analogous to the United States in the New World. The Nazi model of the ideal society becomes what 'secular democracy' is to the West of today.

This latter strategy might actually be better for Germany in the long run than even a successful Seelowe. Seelowe tends to open the door to a Europe ruled by Germany simply through force. The relatively passive strategy of the second approach leads to Germany taking up her new position with the consent of much of the governed. France, Spain, Italy, Rumania, Hungary, Finland, Sweden, Bulgaria have all more or less voluntarily been co-opted into a new German-dominated order -- and Holland, Denmark, and Norway would probably be allowed to join their ranks. This is a system much more likely to last. One could even visualize a Britain eventually occupying a position vaguely analogous to that occupied by Russia with respect to the West today.

This would have worked even better if Hitler hadn't attacked Poland and started WWII either.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI