What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design

Der Oberst -> What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 1:45:12 AM)

Folks,

There have been a huge number of WW2 scenarios built for this game. Some very good ones!

My question to the community is: What other WW2 scenarios would you like to see? I've got some time and interest to begin building something, and would like to work on something the community sees as having value.

Any ideas or thoughts?

geozero -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 2:51:56 AM)

(well pre-ww2, but still).

Italian campaign in Ethiopia.

Manchuria.

Spanish Civil War

Silvanski -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 2:54:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geozero

(well pre-ww2, but still).

Italian campaign in Ethiopia.

Manchuria.

Spanish Civil War

There is a Spanish civil war scenario for COW on Rugged Defense but... the briefing is in Spanish [:(]

Deathtreader -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 3:27:10 AM)

Hi,

Debrecan 44
Manchuria 45
Kharkov 43
Syria 41
Brevity/Battleaxe 40/41

Rob.

Bloodybucket28th -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 4:39:25 AM)

Believe it or not, a Bulge game.  What I'd like to see is something on a regimental scale with very few battalions, and a scale of about two miles a hex, and set up for the player interested in a managable scenario, about on par with the "Korea '51" scenario in unit density and complexity, something a new player could digest.

There are a lot of Bulge scenarios out there, but the all seem to be aimed at more detail and longer play time.  I'm looking for more of a  AH "Bulge '81" or "Bitter Woods", but the current crop seems more like SPI's "Wacht am Rein".

Der Oberst -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 4:43:04 AM)

What about smaller subsets of the Bulge focusing on sectors... like maybe Piepers gruppe etc. or maybe relief of Bastogne... or something along that scale??

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 5:12:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

There is a Spanish civil war scenario for COW on Rugged Defense but... the briefing is in Spanish [:(]

A fun scenario that, but not fantastically accurate, and unbalanced in favour of the Nationalists.

A more realistic appraisal is JMS' Agonia y Victoria, which skips over the faffing around at the start and cuts straight to the more conventional phase of the war. Also doesn't have some of the shortcomings of the above scenario (such as there being no engineers, no HQs, no artillery etc.).

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 5:17:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Der Oberst

What about smaller subsets of the Bulge focusing on sectors... like maybe Piepers gruppe etc. or maybe relief of Bastogne... or something along that scale??

What would be particularly interesting is a scenario which began with the Allied counterattack, about which there is actually some debate, I believe. Obviously a lot more difficult to design a scenario which starts halfway through a campaign, but there isn't any such scenario now, as compared to seven covering the entireity of the German attack.

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 5:23:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

Manchuria 45

I believe Steven Stevens is working on a scenario on this subject.

quote:

Kharkov 43

There are three scenarios on this subject at Rugged Defence.

quote:

Syria 41

There's a TOAW Volume I scenario on this subject at Rugged Defence. I could convert it to COW for you if you like, then you could try it out.

There's also an excellent article on the battle written by a TOAW scenario designer, here;
http://www.tdg.nu/OOBs/1939-1945/oob_operation_exporter_1941.htm

Perhaps you'd care to try your own hand at design?

Chuck2 -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 5:35:18 AM)

Some late-war ideas for you:

Anzio 1944
Cassino 1944
Hurtgen Forest 1944-45
Operation Grapeshot 1945
Operation Konrad 1945
Seelow Heights 1945
Battle of Berlin 1945

Der Oberst -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 6:49:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

What would be particularly interesting is a scenario which began with the Allied counterattack, about which there is actually some debate, I believe. Obviously a lot more difficult to design a scenario which starts halfway through a campaign, but there isn't any such scenario now, as compared to seven covering the entireity of the German attack.

This would be interesting as I've never seen it gamed before, and you're right there is dispute as to when that point in time begins. Would it be Bradley's counteroffensive along the northern flank? Or might it be when Pattons 4th and 6th Armored relieve Bastogne and continue marching?

Thoughts?

quote:

Anzio 1944
Cassino 1944

These along with maybe Salerno might be good as well as I don't think they've been designed.

Chuck2 -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 7:06:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Der Oberst

These along with maybe Salerno might be good as well as I don't think they've been designed.

There is a scenario covering Salerno/Naples at 5km/hex with 68 daily turns. It could be done with different parameters, though.

GreenDestiny -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 7:39:38 AM)

Bustard Hunt (Trappenjagd), German offensive against the Kerch Peninsula May 1942
Bridge-Building (Bruckenschlag), German proposed offensive against the Toropets salient in the spring of 1942
Rumiantsev (Polkovodets Rumiantsev) Soviet counter-offensive south of the Kursk salient August 1943
Manstein’s Kiev counterattacks November 1943
Konrad I II III German attempt to relieve Budapest 1945

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 4:42:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreenDestiny

Bustard Hunt (Trappenjagd), German offensive against the Kerch Peninsula May 1942

I've seen a Trappenjagd scenario, but I recall it being very faulty. There's also "Storming Heaven" which l think covers the same battle. Haven't looked at it, though.

quote:

Rumiantsev (Polkovodets Rumiantsev) Soviet counter-offensive south of the Kursk salient August 1943

Yeah. This in the same light as the post-Bulge counteroffensive. Many, many scenarios covering the German attack at Kursk. None covering the Russian response.

quote:

Manstein’s Kiev counterattacks November 1943

There is a Ukraine November 1943 scenario, but I don't think it focuses particularly on this.

r6kunz -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/13/2006 8:41:45 PM)

quote:

Believe it or not, a Bulge game. What I'd like to see is something on a regimental scale with very few battalions, and a scale of about two miles a hex, and set up for the player interested in a managable scenario

Re: Ardennes 1944
I can understand your recommendation. Bulge 44 at 6 hour turns and over a 1000 units per side, is a bit too unwieldy for my tastes. Daniel McBride's Rundstedt's Plan Martin is great, but is a hypothetical (incidentally anyone interested in the Bulge should read his Briefing file in the scenario folder).
I am doing the final play balancing on Ardennes 1944 designed with TOAW III with 2.5 km, half-day turns 16 Dec to 15 Jan, with 300 units per side, mostly regimental, but some battalions. I plan to post version 0.9 in the next week or so...
Rob Kunz

Deathtreader -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/14/2006 4:26:59 AM)

Hi golden delicious,

Thanks for the offer! Please convert it at your convenience.

As for design, I spent countless hours modifying existing scenarios (for my own use) usually concentrating on the cooperation levels & command/supply squads aspects of a design and then found at the end I'd kind of lost interest in playing it. Go figure.... [:D]TOAW III is reviving my interest though, so maybe I'll give it a go again. [:)]

Rob.

quote:

Syria 41

quote:

There's a TOAW Volume I scenario on this subject at Rugged Defence. I could convert it to COW for you if you like, then you could try it out.

There's also an excellent article on the battle written by a TOAW scenario designer, here;
http://www.tdg.nu/OOBs/1939-1945/oob_operation_exporter_1941.htm

Perhaps you'd care to try your own hand at design?

Bloodybucket28th -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/14/2006 7:30:45 AM)

Wow, ask, and ye shall recieve. I'm looking forward to the "simplified" bulge scenario that HPT KUNZ is creating.

Looking forward to it! [:D]

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/14/2006 4:38:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

As for design, I spent countless hours modifying existing scenarios (for my own use) usually concentrating on the cooperation levels & command/supply squads aspects of a design and then found at the end I'd kind of lost interest in playing it. Go figure.... [:D]TOAW III is reviving my interest though, so maybe I'll give it a go again. [:)]

Sent.

It looks like a pretty good scenario but the way transport works has changed since Volume I so you will want to tone down the amount assigned to units. Reducing the total amount of motor transport by half would have the desired effect (for the British, start by removing the trucks and leave tracked carriers as they are).

Actually this is one of the better Volume I scenarios I've seen. A hidden gem...

Der Oberst -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/14/2006 4:49:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HPT KUNZ

quote:

Believe it or not, a Bulge game. What I'd like to see is something on a regimental scale with very few battalions, and a scale of about two miles a hex, and set up for the player interested in a managable scenario

Re: Ardennes 1944
I can understand your recommendation. Bulge 44 at 6 hour turns and over a 1000 units per side, is a bit too unwieldy for my tastes. Daniel McBride's Rundstedt's Plan Martin is great, but is a hypothetical (incidentally anyone interested in the Bulge should read his Briefing file in the scenario folder).
I am doing the final play balancing on Ardennes 1944 designed with TOAW III with 2.5 km, half-day turns 16 Dec to 15 Jan, with 300 units per side, mostly regimental, but some battalions. I plan to post version 0.9 in the next week or so...
Rob Kunz

If you're going with 600 units or so, are you limiting the front?

Bloodybucket28th -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/15/2006 2:52:47 AM)

My guess is that it can be done by using regiments as the basic unit size, instead of BNs and companies.

MPHopcroft1 -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/27/2006 1:43:56 AM)

Dunkirk 1940 (the Allied goal is to evacuate as muich of the BEF as they can, while the Germans must capture or destroy as much of the BEF as possible)
Arnhem 1944 (operational commanders must salvage an ill-advsied strategic operation)
Patton's Backhand Blow 1945 (theoretical): (After the defeat of Germany, the Allies turn on each other in a dispute over the spoils as the Russians and Americans try to drive each other outs of the remains of Germany)

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/27/2006 2:21:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MPHopcroft

Arnhem 1944 (operational commanders must salvage an ill-advsied strategic operation)
Patton's Backhand Blow 1945 (theoretical): (After the defeat of Germany, the Allies turn on each other in a dispute over the spoils as the Russians and Americans try to drive each other outs of the remains of Germany)

There are scenarios on both of these. The disk Patton scenario has a lot of problems- but there's a Belgian gentleman who is currently working on an improved version.

Peever -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/29/2006 5:31:55 PM)

I would love to see a WWI (or WWII) scenario of North America using the Harry Turtledlove 191-Timeline ( click here for details.  I'm only halfway through the series but it seems like it could make a fun scenario).  In general though I would love to see more hypothetical/alternate history scenarios.  

Silvanski -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (7/29/2006 6:35:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peever

I would love to see a WWI (or WWII) scenario of North America using the Harry Turtledlove 191-Timeline ( click here for details.  I'm only halfway through the series but it seems like it could make a fun scenario).  In general though I would love to see more hypothetical/alternate history scenarios.  

There is one for COW... look here American Front 1914

TOCarroll -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (8/4/2006 7:50:41 PM)

Is there a scenario out on Manstein's (theoretical) "Backhand Blow" at Kursk. The scenario postulates that the Germans wait for a Russian Offensive in 1943, and smash it with a counter offensive. Also, a Kursk scenario that begins as soon as the thaw ends (rather than being postponed to wait for more tanks) would be worth a look.[:)]

Okimaw -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (8/4/2006 10:57:13 PM)

How's about a hypothetical Warsaw Uprising with Red Army intervention?

ec2285 -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (8/14/2006 7:36:39 PM)

I would like to see something regarding Operation Downfall/Olympic/Coronet about the proposed invasion of mainland Japan. If something like this already exists please feel free to point me in the right direction because I haven't seen it, although I am sure there must be something..

a white rabbit -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (8/14/2006 8:25:30 PM)

..Invasion Australia..

..and historical, Invasion of Dutch East Indies

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (8/14/2006 8:29:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ec2285

I would like to see something regarding Operation Downfall/Olympic/Coronet about the proposed invasion of mainland Japan. If something like this already exists please feel free to point me in the right direction because I haven't seen it, although I am sure there must be something..

There's "Olympic 45" by John Boomershine which looks pretty good. I've known John a while and he's a decent designer. This is a COW scenario so you can load it right up in TOAW III. There's also "Operation Olympic" for Volume I. I think I player this one and as I recall it's not so good. Stick with the above.

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (8/14/2006 8:33:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..Invasion Australia..

Be more specific. I don't think an invasion of the entire continent was even remotely practical. So do you envisage the Japanese just seizing Darwin, or making a more ambitious assault on Perth or even Queensland? I started to look into the former a while back, as it would probably be the most realistic, but didn't get very far.

quote:

..and historical, Invasion of Dutch East Indies

There's a Java '42 scenario of which I have a copy. Also, a while back I was working on a scenario covering the entire Centrifugal Offensive. I finished the map and most of the Allied OOB as I recall. Whether this is really a practical project for TOAW I'm not sure. Perhaps I'll return to it in the future. It would have to be very event-driven.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI