RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (2/1/2007 5:26:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Graymane

I really believe Sealion is at most a pipe dream. I really don't see Hitler ever allowing it to come off given his own understanding, beliefs and feelings about the English in an abstract sense (yes, he did bombing and rockets till the end of the war). Also given his strategic aims, I don't believe he ever thought of the west as anything more than a distraction as his eyes lay always on the east, the decisive theatre.

Yeah. The interesting hypothetical is one where Hitler really has it in for the English. Then stuff starts getting set aside as early as May.

This is the basis for Colin Wright's Seelowe. One of the finest scenarios I've ever played. Getting towards completion, too.

Graymane -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (2/2/2007 3:18:15 PM)

Hmmm...I might have to try that one. v. Manstein certainly thought it was possible.

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (2/5/2007 3:11:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Graymane

Hmmm...I might have to try that one. v. Manstein certainly thought it was possible.

Well Manstein was wrong- as things stood. But in the hypothetical, matters have changed.

KoenigMKII -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/6/2007 8:11:57 AM)

For Sealowe, does anyone know if the Germans considered making the evening of S-1 a day when there is maximium moonlight.

If it is a crystal clear night (fine weather) its more dangerous for a Royal Navy pre-emptive raid on french ports stacked with invasion barges.

Was there even such a night falling in the possible launch window when at least the basic sealowe preparations have been done? The tides have to be taken into account of course - but the Germans did have a small number of tanks converted to "snorkel." Frankly, a P-III could do quite a bit of damage if it made it ashore.

I am not at all sure a small force of destroyers and light cruisers could have eliminated the whole Invasion threat. A single large HE bomb hit from a stuka can criple a WWII destroyer, and Me110 cannon shells would have been a threat to the secondary gun crews. Also, the Germans planned to sow mines on the outside of the invasion corridor(s) - that automatically introduces an element of luck into the battle.

The biggest problem for the Luftwaffe, short fighter range, could be reduced by rebasing some of the squadrons closer to the invasion ports. 

I honestly think if the first lighter ship attack was stopped short, then even the Battleships would have been committed, even though the book says it is dangerous.

If the invasion beaches are in range of Luftwaffe fighters, there is a danger of successfull invasion. The problem for the British army is that if the Germans gain local air superiority over a small beachhead it could grow. It also pins the RAF to trying to fight over a fixed location in Luftwaffe Fighter range. In crete, the decisive moment occured when an airstrip was captured, what if the first target of a para drop in sealowe is a fixed airfield? With local German air superiority over a beachhead, can the British army counter attack?

Manstein probably had similar ideas. But the Rhine barges really are a terrible idea for invasion transport if the weather is not perfect in open sea in the channel. A stuka HE bomb won't stop a battleship, torpedos and mines are another matter. The number of U-Boats was painfully small, but again, there is that element of random luck involved.

The British plan for a light weight attack on the invasion is logical, if you assume it has the cover of darkness. But the Germans read moonlight tables as well as we do. As soon as they attempt sealowe all previous bets are off. In perfectly calm weather is it possible to fire an 88 from an invasion barge? Difficult at best I would say, but just a small force of destroyers and light Cruisers to stop sealowe? Thats asking for it.

Telumar -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/6/2007 2:55:42 PM)

Maybe you go to http://www.tdg.nu and ask there - there is an expert on Seelöwe, Colin Wright is his name.. [:)] He also has done a Seelöwe scenario that is said to be soon released.

ColinWright -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/16/2007 9:42:45 AM)

I think that the thing about Seelowe is that while one can plausibly rearrange history to give it a fair chance of success, it remains a hair-raisingly risky proposition from the German point of view almost no matter how one stacks the deck.

This was in fact more or less Hitler's take on it. It would be an operation to be undertaken if Germany was in a desperate situation, and Germany was not in a desperate situation. That was the gist of what he had to say on the subject.

Rationally, the thing to do upon the fall of France was not to attempt Seelowe, but to methodically isolate England and render her position untenable. Bring Spain in, eliminate Gibraltar, and use Ferrol to increase the threat to her sea routes. Make concessions to the French to gain the use of Dakar and Syria. Encourage Japan to attack her holdings in the Far East. All these powers were quite willing to cooperate with Germany in the early summer of 1940 -- Hitler all but ignored them. The most extreme example would be his reply to Japan's overtures along these lines: 'harvest help not needed.'

Hitler didn't need or even want to conquer Britain -- just to force her to acquiesce in his plans. I think a solid case can be made that all the steps I have mentioned above were eminently achievable -- and I think the pressure on Britain could have been racheted up to the point where it would have been unbearable. Moreover, note that the actual resources Germany needs to commit to follow the above course are minimal.

However, Hitler didn't even do this much. Rather, he halted in puzzlement when Britain failed to agree he had won the war, hemmed and hawed, tried to scare her with the threat of invasion, and then turned to the more congenial task of plotting the destruction of Russia. Largely, he thereafter simply ignored Britain as much as possible -- never pursued a coherent policy with regards to her at all.

Of course, none of this means Seelowe is an operation that never could have happened. Hitler was not famously rational, and given a different attitude on his part towards Britain, simply invading her would have been very appealling. After all, if successful, an invasion would certainly deliver quick results, and there'd be no nonsense about negotiating a settlement. Moreover, after the fall of France, German morale and self-confidence was sky-high. They might have had a go.

Karri -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/16/2007 4:25:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KoenigMKII
The tides have to be taken into account of course - but the Germans did have a small number of tanks converted to "snorkel." Frankly, a P-III could do quite a bit of damage if it made it ashore.

Dunno how that would have worked, quite a few of the allied tanks during d-day sank before they reached the beaches.

quote:

I am not at all sure a small force of destroyers and light cruisers could have eliminated the whole Invasion threat. A single large HE bomb hit from a stuka can criple a WWII destroyer, and Me110 cannon shells would have been a threat to the secondary gun crews. Also, the Germans planned to sow mines on the outside of the invasion corridor(s) - that automatically introduces an element of luck into the battle.

If a bomb can cripple a destroyer, then what could the RAF do to unarmed and unprotected targets? Furhtermore, if the germans sow mines thus making a corridor, what stops the british from sealing off this corridor with their mines.

Also that would make supplying the forces impossible.

nelmsm1 -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/17/2007 3:56:15 AM)

I'd like to see a hypothetical where by some miracle the Germans achieve their goals during the Bulge and the Americans/Brits/French sign a separate peace agreement and the Germans redeploy most of their forces to face the Russians alone.

Silvanski -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/17/2007 10:05:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nelmsm

I'd like to see a hypothetical where by some miracle the Germans achieve their goals during the Bulge and the Americans/Brits/French sign a separate peace agreement and the Germans redeploy most of their forces to face the Russians alone.

The "Gotterdammerung" scenario comes to mind... it could be revised for this what-if? situation... a lot of work but not impossible...

If the Germans could have been able to redeploy their forces used for Wacht Am Rhein to the East it might have prolongued the war against the Soviets.

ColinWright -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/17/2007 11:52:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

quote:

The tides have to be taken into account of course - but the Germans did have a small number of tanks converted to "snorkel." Frankly, a P-III could do quite a bit of damage if it made it ashore.

Dunno how that would have worked, quite a few of the allied tanks during d-day sank before they reached the beaches...

Yeah, I thought about that. However, the German systems (there were two) seem to have worked quite well. Only one tank was lost in trials, and the next Spring the same tanks were used to cross the river Bug at the opening of Barbarossa -- as far as I know they worked just fine.

As far as the play of the scenario goes, what's of at least equal concern is that these four amphibious tank battalions not only assist in the initial assault, but continue to form a fairly significant component of the German forces ashore. This is somewhat questionable, as tanks don't just run forever: they need fuel, ammo, and maintenance. While a full-fledged panzer division has all the components to meet these needs, it's questionable if four independent battalions wandering around in the logistical chaos that would have existed in a German beachhead in the aftermath of a successful landing would have access to the same sort of support.

golden delicious -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/21/2007 4:02:12 AM)

quote:

I think that's very unlikely. The German goal was to reach Antwerp- and the Allies were aware of this. Ignoring the immense difficulty the Germans would have had in attaining this goal in the prevailing conditions, Roosevelt historically stated that if the Germans took Antwerp, the United States would raise 200 divisions.

A more reasonable possibility is one in which the July plot is successful and, with Normandy still looking fairly indecisive, the Germans offer some deal which is very generous in the west but is unacceptable to Russia.

nelmsm1 -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/21/2007 6:55:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

I think that's very unlikely. The German goal was to reach Antwerp- and the Allies were aware of this. Ignoring the immense difficulty the Germans would have had in attaining this goal in the prevailing conditions, Roosevelt historically stated that if the Germans took Antwerp, the United States would raise 200 divisions.

A more reasonable possibility is one in which the July plot is successful and, with Normandy still looking fairly indecisive, the Germans offer some deal which is very generous in the west but is unacceptable to Russia.

I've got to agree that this might be a more plausible scenario base, or even making it that that the Germans drove the Allies back into the sea, giving them a year's breathing space to pull troops from France to send to Russia. Something along these lines would be what I would like to see.

ColinWright -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/21/2007 9:46:34 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

I've got to agree that this might be a more plausible scenario base, or even making it that that the Germans drove the Allies back into the sea, giving them a year's breathing space to pull troops from France to send to Russia. Something along these lines would be what I would like to see.

I think a more reasonable way to get to where I assume you want to go is to figure a 1943 D-Day that is smashed back into the sea. Hitler calls off Kursk, trades space for time in the East, deals a death blow to the invasion, and then races back to face the advancing Russians on more equal terms than he did historically.

Ironically, a June 1943 D-Day might have forced Hitler to implement what was in fact a promising 'backhand' strategy in the East: let the Russians advance, then catch them disorganized and out of supply with a powerful counterattack.

If he can then deal a crushing blow to the Russians, he might be able to force them to accept a negotiated peace -- in which case the Western Allies have really got a challenge on their hands. It probably goes to nukes in 1945 -- and in turn to a much less subdued modern Germany that sees itself as having lost the war solely because the Allies 'cheated.' Also, presumably a non-Communist Eastern Europe -- but then, we got there eventually anyway. Poland certainly would have a different shape.

KoenigMKII -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/22/2007 5:43:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

I think that the thing about Seelowe is that while one can plausibly rearrange history to give it a fair chance of success, it remains a hair-raisingly risky proposition from the German point of view almost no matter how one stacks the deck.

This was in fact more or less Hitler's take on it. It would be an operation to be undertaken if Germany was in a desperate situation, and Germany was not in a desperate situation. That was the gist of what he had to say on the subject.

Rationally, the thing to do upon the fall of France was not to attempt Seelowe, but to methodically isolate England and render her position untenable. Bring Spain in, eliminate Gibraltar, and use Ferrol to increase the threat to her sea routes. Make concessions to the French to gain the use of Dakar and Syria. Encourage Japan to attack her holdings in the Far East. All these powers were quite willing to cooperate with Germany in the early summer of 1940 -- Hitler all but ignored them. The most extreme example would be his reply to Japan's overtures along these lines: 'harvest help not needed.'

Hitler didn't need or even want to conquer Britain -- just to force her to acquiesce in his plans. I think a solid case can be made that all the steps I have mentioned above were eminently achievable -- and I think the pressure on Britain could have been racheted up to the point where it would have been unbearable. Moreover, note that the actual resources Germany needs to commit to follow the above course are minimal.

However, Hitler didn't even do this much. Rather, he halted in puzzlement when Britain failed to agree he had won the war, hemmed and hawed, tried to scare her with the threat of invasion, and then turned to the more congenial task of plotting the destruction of Russia. Largely, he thereafter simply ignored Britain as much as possible -- never pursued a coherent policy with regards to her at all.

Of course, none of this means Seelowe is an operation that never could have happened. Hitler was not famously rational, and given a different attitude on his part towards Britain, simply invading her would have been very appealling. After all, if successful, an invasion would certainly deliver quick results, and there'd be no nonsense about negotiating a settlement. Moreover, after the fall of France, German morale and self-confidence was sky-high. They might have had a go.

Colin, I agree with your post above. A question for you, if I may, one thing that bothered me is that the Luftwaffe air bases in the Historical battle of Britain seemed to be deployed quite far back, to make surprise counter-air attack impossible for the RAF.

If Seelowe had been launched, possibly pinning the RAF above the channel to defend the RN, that makes the two sides more equal in combat endurance/range. The Luftwaffe had more experienced pilots, thats going to hurt the RAF. If the RAF loses air superiority to the Luftwaffe over the channel, then its down to the RN to go on alone, is there a period of days of moonlight in early september that could have been used to uncloak the RN?

In Bright moonlight with perfectly clear skies its even possible to hit ships. The Dambusters raid was conducted in strong moonlight at low level, making it a double surprise. I don't have the moonlight tables for that period - do you know where such information could be found?

Manstein really was a clever and highly skilled commander he must of considered these factors, thats the only reason I can think of for him to say "we should have tried it."

ColinWright -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/22/2007 11:51:21 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

Colin, I agree with your post above. A question for you, if I may, one thing that bothered me is that the Luftwaffe air bases in the Historical battle of Britain seemed to be deployed quite far back, to make surprise counter-air attack impossible for the RAF.

Well, by the height of the Battle of Britain, most of the Luftwaffe's Bf-109's were jammed into the Pas de Calais. The bombers had sufficent range so that they could just use the various major airfields already in existence in France and the Low Countries.

The British did try some night bombing of German airfields during the Battle of Britain. These raids had little effect. The results of their attempts at daylight bombing were so uniformly disastrous in 1940-41 that I'm not sure the Luftwaffe would have exactly objected to a more serious effort. One strike lost all eleven of eleven bombers sent out.
quote:

If Seelowe had been launched, possibly pinning the RAF above the channel to defend the RN, that makes the two sides more equal in combat endurance/range. The Luftwaffe had more experienced pilots, thats going to hurt the RAF. If the RAF loses air superiority to the Luftwaffe over the channel, then its down to the RN to go on alone, is there a period of days of moonlight in early september that could have been used to uncloak the RN?

In Bright moonlight with perfectly clear skies its even possible to hit ships. The Dambusters raid was conducted in strong moonlight at low level, making it a double surprise. I don't have the moonlight tables for that period - do you know where such information could be found?

Manstein really was a clever and highly skilled commander he must of considered these factors, thats the only reason I can think of for him to say "we should have tried it."

First, I'm not sure a full moon would be a guarantee of much of anything: even at the height of Summer, about half of all days were cloudy, and so, presumably, would be the nights.

Then there are the demands that high tide fall at the right time for a dawn attack, and of course, that the Germans have completed their preparations, gained the requisite air superiority, etc. As it was, you're talking about two-three conceivable five-day windows in the period August-September. Add a requirement for a full moon and you may have just talked yourself out of making the attack at all.

Manstein did indeed say Seelowe should have been attempted: but it's important to realize that he never conducted an amphibious operation in his life. I'm not sure he qualifies as an expert. The army in general had a nasty habit of approaching the whole operation with the attiude that their responsibility began only once all the troops were safely ashore in Britain: getting them there was the navy's problem. Given that, of course Seelowe should have been attempted. The navy does its job, and it's all a snap.

KoenigMKII -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/23/2007 8:41:53 AM)

Colin, thank you for the correction about the Forward Luftwaffe bases in the Pas de calais.

Found the moon table for 1940. May need to correct times for UK as these may be US times, unless universal time= Zulu time=GMT??

1940 Phases of the Moon
Universal Time

New Moon-----First Quarter-------Full Moon------Last Quarter

---------d h m -----------d h m------------d h m------------d h m

---Jul --5 11:28---Jul 12 06:35-----Jul 19 9:55----Jul 27 11:29
---Aug--3 20:09--Aug 10 12:00---Aug 17 23:02---Aug 26 03:33
---Sep--2 04:15--Sept 8 19:32----Sep 16 14:41---Sep 24 17:47
---Oct--1 12:41---Oct 8 06:18----Oct 16 08:15---Oct 24 06:04

As for air superiority, I say it can't be achieved unless and untilSeelowe begins, in fact if the moonlight were matched by fair skys [big if, but if forcast was favorable...] telegraphing the invasion 24hrs before might induce British RAF attacks because of political pressure. Anyway, as soon as the Kriegsmarine begins loading troops and towing barges all hell will brake loose.

I am playing devils advocate here, but the germans planned to beach barges at high tide and let the falling tide make it possible to unload the men and equipment in shallow water. Those barges need flat sea to make it across - so clear skies with low wind - thats asking for a hell of a lot.

I think the crossing has to be attempted in daylight, but the barges are slow. 6-8 hours to cross, midday is 8 hours from dawn in the summer. The real Hitler would never have risked it, but it is curious to take his place as CIC and give the order. Is there a high tide on the south coast just before miday on any of the day following August 17, for example, ?

Did the Germans even have enough air-sowable sea mines to form even one side of the protective minefields required to allow the follow up waves and supplies? Not enough surely, so it would have to be a patchy barrier.

I think all ships up to battleships are vulnerable to the stuka HE bombs. The only part of a battleship that would be vulnerable is the Parallax gun director - that is a very lucky hit indeed though, and it is essential to the accuracy of the main guns only - secondary/tertiary could use adhoc meens to lay the guns. The only hope to stop the British battlewagons are torpedos (not many U-boats this early in the war.) and mines.

ColinWright -> RE: What WW2 Scenario Would We Like? (4/23/2007 11:22:35 PM)

quote:

Colin, thank you for the correction about the Forward Luftwaffe bases in the Pas de calais.

Found the moon table for 1940. May need to correct times for UK as these may be US times, unless universal time= Zulu time=GMT??

1940 Phases of the Moon
Universal Time

New Moon-----First Quarter-------Full Moon------Last Quarter

---------d h m -----------d h m------------d h m------------d h m

---Jul --5 11:28---Jul 12 06:35-----Jul 19 9:55----Jul 27 11:29
---Aug--3 20:09--Aug 10 12:00---Aug 17 23:02---Aug 26 03:33
---Sep--2 04:15--Sept 8 19:32----Sep 16 14:41---Sep 24 17:47
---Oct--1 12:41---Oct 8 06:18----Oct 16 08:15---Oct 24 06:04

As for air superiority, I say it can't be achieved unless and untilSeelowe begins,

It could be argued that the Luftwaffe did obtain air superiority -- briefly, and of only the most limited kind -- over Southeast England in the first week of September.

In any case, wether they historically did or not or could or not, in my view, the Germans have to gain air superiority prior to Seelowe. They need to drive the British Navy far enough away so that it cannot interfere with the crossing. That boils down to making it prohibitively expensive for the British to continue basing destroyers and light cruisers at Portsmouth, Sheerness, and Harwich. This in turn pretty much demands substantially greater success in the Battle of Britain than was historically achieved.
quote:

in fact if the moonlight were matched by fair skys [big if, but if forcast was favorable...] telegraphing the invasion 24hrs before might induce British RAF attacks because of political pressure.

Anyway, as soon as the Kriegsmarine begins loading troops and towing barges all hell will brake loose.

The RAF was bombing the invasion ports already. I'm not sure what they would have started doing that they weren't already engaged in.
quote:

I am playing devils advocate here, but the germans planned to beach barges at high tide and let the falling tide make it possible to unload the men and equipment in shallow water. Those barges need flat sea to make it across - so clear skies with low wind - thats asking for a hell of a lot.

I think the crossing has to be attempted in daylight, but the barges are slow. 6-8 hours to cross, midday is 8 hours from dawn in the summer.

What with loading up, clearing the ports, marshalling the tow formations, etc, it was going to be more like a 36 hour operation.
quote:

The real Hitler would never have risked it, but it is curious to take his place as CIC and give the order. Is there a high tide on the south coast just before miday on any of the day following August 17, for example, ?

I forget the exact dates, but the Germans wanted to land around dawn, about two hours after high tide (the barges have to be refloated -- you don't want to land at high tide). That pretty much put them into two five day windows: August 20-25 or something and September 17-22 or something.
quote:

Did the Germans even have enough air-sowable sea mines to form even one side of the protective minefields required to allow the follow up waves and supplies? Not enough surely, so it would have to be a patchy barrier.

No minefield forms an absolute barrier. They merely impose risk and delay. That is all they were expected to do.
quote:

I think all ships up to battleships are vulnerable to the stuka HE bombs. The only part of a battleship that would be vulnerable is the Parallax gun director - that is a very lucky hit indeed though, and it is essential to the accuracy of the main guns only - secondary/tertiary could use adhoc meens to lay the guns. The only hope to stop the British battlewagons are torpedos (not many U-boats this early in the war.) and mines.

The battleships only have to be stopped if they come, and in fact, the British were unwilling to risk their battleships in the Channel -- at least in their initial response. They'd had a nasty experience off the Norwegian coast when HMS Barham was hit by a bomb from an HE 111. While the damage was minor, it made them averse to employing battleships in areas where the enemy enjoyed air superiority.

Later on of course, if it began to look like the Germans were going to hold their beach head, the British might well have sent the battleships in. However, at that point their intervention wouldn't have been decisive. They could briefly interrupt the flow of supplies and reinforcements, but they couldn't just anchor in the Channel, and once they've left, the Germans can resume crossing.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI