Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CC-CoI remake of CC III?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> CC-CoI remake of CC III? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/25/2006 12:07:07 AM   
Lysus

I was confused after reading the interview which CC they were making.
Post #: 1
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/25/2006 2:35:36 AM   
David Heath

Yes it a remake and then some.

(in reply to Lysus)
Post #: 2
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/25/2006 11:38:45 PM   
pad152

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Yes it a remake and then some.

So, this will be a remake and not a re-release!

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 3
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/26/2006 1:18:22 AM   
David Heath

Cross of Iron has improvements over the original CC3 game including new maps and units.  The game has updated units and ratings.  You will find units never available in the first release.  There will also be a new campaign as well.

David

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 4
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/26/2006 3:04:38 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Cross of Iron has improvements over the original CC3 game including new maps and units. The game has updated units and ratings. You will find units never available in the first release. There will also be a new campaign as well.

David

FANTASTIC NEWS!

Tell me there will be a much improved AI and I may never stop smiling.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 5
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/26/2006 3:08:58 AM   
Shaun Wallace

quote:

FANTASTIC NEWS!

The AI and vehicle pathing etc has been worked on ;)

Shaun - aka Sulla

Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
----------------------
http://www.closecombat.org/csoforums/portal.php

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 6
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/26/2006 4:12:00 AM   
TheHellPatrol

So...it's an updated/re-worked CC3 with an extra campaign? Sounds great "unit never before seen" Oooo! I love CC3 and it's best feature at the time was introducing the changeable "arc/facing" as it greatly enhanced ease of play.

< Message edited by TheHellPatrol -- 10/26/2006 4:17:05 AM >

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Shaun Wallace)
Post #: 7
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/26/2006 7:28:05 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

Just wondering if any of the great user-made campaigns will be bundled in with the new CCIII?

Sure would be a nice "extra"!

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 8
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/27/2006 2:59:54 AM   
loyalcitizen

Just saw the announcement scroll by and, as a long-time CC'er, I am very excited! This may beat Theatre of War to market...

Please make sure that trenches actually provide actual hard physical protection for infantry. Lost too many entrenched infantry due to tanks firing their MGs into trenches. 

Thanks!

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 9
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/27/2006 6:10:03 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaun Wallace

quote:

FANTASTIC NEWS!

The AI and vehicle pathing etc has been worked on ;)

Shaun - aka Sulla

Good, but make sure that infantry survivability is also worked on... cc3 was particularly bad in that respect.

Post #: 10
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/27/2006 11:32:18 AM   
morvael

I hope there will finally be the sound of moving vehicles added as this is the one and only feature I missed since CCII to CCV. How come it could not be added?

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 11
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/27/2006 12:38:31 PM   
Trigger Happy

Why didn't you take the CC invasion normandy as a basic engine, may I ask? It was made one-two years after so I guess it had some basic improvements, no?

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 12
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/27/2006 2:00:00 PM   
moose1999

"The AI and vehicle pathing etc has been worked on ;)"

Does this mean all the AI improvements gained through the work you've done for the US and British armed forces?

And another question: Will there be a separate remake of every CC game (2, 3, 4, 5) or will they be released in bundles?

< Message edited by briny_norman -- 10/27/2006 2:05:12 PM >

regards,

Briny

Post #: 13
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/27/2006 9:11:46 PM   
Beeblebrox

There is a brand new from the ground up Grand Campaign for CoI.  12 Ops, 30 odd Maps, and a 12 month timeline ('43'~44).  All the original Campaigns and Operations will still be included.

We have made some changes to the AI, more focused on trying to reduce the stupidities than expanding the capabilities.  It's a very complex thing.  A tiny change could result in a knock on effect who knows where it will end up, but so far, test reports are positive.  There is one particular difference between the original CC3 and CoI, and that involves Command influence.  You could take liberties with that in the original, but you had better not do it in CoI! ;)

Pathing is also a very complex issue.  I think the best we will be able to say is that it is better.  Perfect is arguably impossible anyway...

Interesting point about Infantry Survivability.  It is something we are looking at as we speak.  I don't think we can do more than tweak something a bit, but I agree that CC3 (or derivative) is too weighted to Armour (if you want to win more easily), and Infantry are minced by them too easily.  We are trying to balance that better.  X fingers...

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 14
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/28/2006 4:34:01 PM   
HannoMeier

Do you also consider to increase the unit slots from 15 squads / verhicles to more? This would be great. Then we could better simulate quantity vs. quality. Also to add the missing vehicle movement sounds would be nice.

Regards, Hanno

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 15
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/28/2006 10:38:04 PM   
Williamb

Ugggh a CC3 remake ?

I loved the Russian front but the AI was terrible in that it love to purchase tanks tanks tanks !

I swear I increased the cost of tanks in CC3 via and editor and made tanks very expensive.
Then I watched the AI purchase ONE (1) ! tank and 1 infantry squad with all the force pool points it had.

CC3 sucked in that it was far and away too tank heavy and the AI too stupid to prevent it from turning into just the battle of kursk fought for 4 straight years.

(in reply to HannoMeier)
Post #: 16
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/30/2006 10:32:15 PM   
Randall Grubb

Hi guys! I thought I'd point out a few things and clarify what has been said in this and some of the other threads.

First off, COI will not have new features like mountable vehicles, coop play, medics, mine dogs, increased team slots or things like that. We aren't going to make COI a clone of CC4, CC5, RtB, CCM or CCRAF.

The original intent was to just fix the problems with Win XP compatability, h2h conectivity and in-game problems. It has snowballed somewhat to add the new campaign, new maps and new data. We could take the time to add features, but each one would add weeks or months to finally getting COI out to ya'll. But what you will get is an outstandingly improved classic CC3 game, one that still has the original Grand Campaign plus the new COI campaign, not a "new" game. Note David H's cryptic comment about "in this version". The history of the future ain't written yet!

The data files and the map elements file has been updated to help increase infantry survivability, but using bad tactics will still get your teams quickly killed. A new Mod Swap manager for mod plugins has been developed and most of the popular mods for CC3 have already been converted to work with it, and work continues on the rest. Mod makers will find that modding is now encouraged unlike in the past. You programmer out there will be helped to update the modding tools! (Hey, we're only four or five crazy guys with other projects to work on, so help out if you can!)

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. - Pierre Bosquet, 1854

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 17
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/30/2006 11:12:04 PM   
Bradley62

Could someone address what graphical alterations will be done, as far as game play, if any?

Better put, what are the graphics changes.

(in reply to Randall Grubb)
Post #: 18
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/31/2006 3:34:55 PM   
sapper_astro

Awesome stuff.

Theatre of war has just been ****canned by me.

Are any of the original CC guys working on this game?

(in reply to Bradley62)
Post #: 19
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 10/31/2006 5:13:27 PM   
Beeblebrox

quote:

Are any of the original CC guys working on this game?
If you mean the original Atomic Team, the short answer is no.  The long answer is something we are not in a position to explain or discuss.  Just be thankful (if you like CC) that the series continues and will continue :).  I am!

(in reply to sapper_astro)
Post #: 20
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/2/2006 4:44:08 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Senior Drill

Hi guys! I thought I'd point out a few things and clarify what has been said in this and some of the other threads.

First off, COI will not have new features like mountable vehicles, coop play, medics, mine dogs, increased team slots or things like that. We aren't going to make COI a clone of CC4, CC5, RtB, CCM or CCRAF.

The original intent was to just fix the problems with Win XP compatability, h2h conectivity and in-game problems. It has snowballed somewhat to add the new campaign, new maps and new data. We could take the time to add features, but each one would add weeks or months to finally getting COI out to ya'll. But what you will get is an outstandingly improved classic CC3 game, one that still has the original Grand Campaign plus the new COI campaign, not a "new" game. Note David H's cryptic comment about "in this version". The history of the future ain't written yet!

The data files and the map elements file has been updated to help increase infantry survivability, but using bad tactics will still get your teams quickly killed. A new Mod Swap manager for mod plugins has been developed and most of the popular mods for CC3 have already been converted to work with it, and work continues on the rest. Mod makers will find that modding is now encouraged unlike in the past. You programmer out there will be helped to update the modding tools! (Hey, we're only four or five crazy guys with other projects to work on, so help out if you can!)

What, no mine dogs? Wth?

Post #: 21
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/3/2006 7:09:50 AM   
Randall Grubb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

What, no mine dogs? Wth?

Nope. No Slob 87's either, with or without a 3 man turret, much to Walter's ultimate dismay.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. - Pierre Bosquet, 1854

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 22
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/6/2006 1:38:00 AM   
Lysus

Thanks for the replys! I'm all giddy now, and can't wait to buy this game.

Post #: 23
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/6/2006 5:14:49 AM   
Guz

Bump for all those that want to know...

The Guz

(in reply to Lysus)
Post #: 24
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/6/2006 3:23:49 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Senior Drill

{snip}

{snip}

Whats the rush

Why not work on and add new features.

< Message edited by Sarge -- 11/6/2006 3:27:26 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/6/2006 4:19:46 PM   
Beeblebrox

quote:

Why not work on and add new features.
We are, but not so much on the re-release(s).  Not that there will be no new features in CoI, but the focus for this is on new productions...

You cannot buy CC2 and CC3 Retail anymore (and have not been able to for some time).  For myself, I would have been happy to see them just re-released so a new generation of players can find out about and experience the great qualities of these games.  However, CoI *will* provide new material and there have been changes made to such things as the AI so even Grogs we hope will find something to re-inspire them.  For those that do try it, they will find that you cannot play CoI in quite the same way as you can with CC3 and get the same results.  Pathing I believe is much better, and you will need to control your battle group more cohesively than before otherwise you will find things may not work out quite so well for you.

Good players will always prevail as ever, but I am sure that even they will have to adjust their style a bit to accomodate the changes.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 26
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/9/2006 10:36:00 PM   
Frank McNally

In the AI work will there be any improvement with hive brain?  One thing that contributed to infantry having poor survivability was that a well timed amush by infantry could be supressed too quickly other tanks opened up instantaeously from long distance when one of their brothers close in was plinked.

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 27
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/10/2006 12:45:06 AM   
Beeblebrox

I don't want to overplay expectations.  We have not made *extensive* changes to the AI.  That was not on this agenda.  COI is derivative of CCIII, and will still be a tank/heavy weapon loaded game, and I am sure will dissapoint some.  There will also be Mods (as ever) which allow players to moderate game play for example to remove the preponderance of tanks so infantry become more important, and we will be trying to make this as easy and seamless as possible for CoI players.  However, tanks are still infantry mincers, but that works for both sides....

(in reply to Frank McNally)
Post #: 28
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/13/2006 7:46:45 AM   
GrimboldMX

CC 3 turned me off. Long - long- slogs across boring landscapes. Sorry that thats the one Matrix chose to redo. Still, great to have the series back.

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 29
RE: CC-CoI remake of CC III? - 11/13/2006 8:00:19 AM   
Guz

I Agree with Grimbold. IMO This should be a complete new release, with all new content, etc. Still, I'm interested to see the outcome and hope its great.

The Guz

(in reply to GrimboldMX)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> CC-CoI remake of CC III? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI