Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tearing down a stone wall...?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 3:49:29 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Right, you purchase an attribut, simulating training?

Sure, plus the purchase of appropriate equipment (and uniforms, in the case of Zouaves).

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 12/7/2006 3:56:57 AM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 31
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 4:37:35 AM   
moose1999

Well, it's me again.
I've got another problem with Stonewall. He started moving - stopped being a wall and became a steamroller instead.
And he brought artillery this time. Two units.
These artillery units have just completely decimated my western army.
I lost 30.000 men in the last battle and at least half of them were from the two artillery units.
I tried charging them from all angles, flanks, back, front (well, I got desperate in the end) but no matter where the charge came from the charging unit was butchered. At one point one of my units were completely destroyed - lost 2900 men in one artillery barrage.
How in the world do I counter artillery...?
These two units seemed invulnerable - they were alone, no infantry support (they were busy elsewhere) and I had them completely surrounded. But they just butchered one unit after the other without taking any significant damage themselves.
I was powerless.
I didn't have any cavalry - I guess that would have helped.
But is using cavalry the only way to counter artillery?

< Message edited by briny_norman -- 12/7/2006 4:46:49 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 32
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 5:07:14 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman

Well, it's me again.
I've got another problem with Stonewall. He started moving - stopped being a wall and became a steamroller instead.

2 Guns ? ohoh

I lost 30.000 men in the last battle and at least half of them were from the two artillery units.
I tried charging them from all angles, flanks, back, front (well, I got desperate in the end) but no matter where the charge came from the charging unit was butchered. At one point one of my units were completely destroyed - lost 2900 men in one artillery barrage.
These two units seemed invulnerable - they were alone, no infantry support (they were busy elsewhere) and I had them completely surrounded. But they just butchered one unit after the other without taking any significant damage themselves.

were they dugin ?

I was powerless.

LOL, I just lost my whole reply !!!!

ahh try again then

get some sharpshooter skills, you need to break the guns morale, if they were dugin, charge is going to be a blood bath and you may not break there morale before they break yours

get a rifle with a range of at least 4 (you can get a 3 range, but you want to be at max range, when you are going to be tradeing shots with Arty)

if you got a unit or two of snipers (you want at least two of these) let them fire from max range and try and break the Guns morale, once the morale gets down to 0, rush them with your other units and try to break them, Guns do not run good, and you got a chance to capture them

over all, it sounds like you got a good game going, enjoy the challenge of having something that plain numbers will not overcome

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 33
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 5:09:25 AM   
Hard Sarge

plus if they on the attack, you got a chance vs the guns, on the defence, they are even nastier

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 34
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 5:15:37 AM   
Gil R.

Also, presumably, having brigade artillery and horse artillery on your side wouldn't hurt... (Hard Sarge, do you find one of these more useful than the other?)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 35
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 5:21:48 AM   
Hard Sarge

well, for me, I would reather have attached Arty for my Inf, then having it for my Cav, I want the speed

I like attached Arty, but not for trading shots with a Arty Bde, I would rather use snipers

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 36
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 6:02:56 AM   
Bungo_Pete

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman

Well, it's me again.
I tried charging them from all angles, flanks, back, front (well, I got desperate in the end) but no matter where the charge came from the charging unit was butchered. At one point one of my units were completely destroyed - lost 2900 men in one artillery barrage.
I was powerless.

Why is stonewall a steam roller?.He was an average general at best,and a dam CONTEMPTOUS ONE AT THAT.

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 37
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 3:20:05 PM   
moose1999

Sharpshooters , eh? Sounds like a good idea.
Gotta get me some long range rifles too, obviously.
Stonewall was on the attack, so the guns were not dug in - the thought of dug in artillery is pretty scary, now.
But does this mean that cavalry is not especially suitable for attacking artillery - it would be nice to know as it would spare me another catastrophic mistake...!

And yes, you can be certain that I am enjoying getting my ass handed to me like this.
It is really great gameplay when the AI, after having beaten me back a few times, calls in reinforcements from the Mississippi and goes on the offensive to capitalize on my weakness, instead of just waiting for me to rebuild my forces and attack again as a stronger and wiser general.
I feel I'm really getting something for my my money, here

Bungo_Pete: I think Stonewall being a steam roller in this phase has a lot to do with my being a wall-to-wall carpet...

(in reply to Bungo_Pete)
Post #: 38
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 6:26:06 PM   
Hard Sarge

hmmm if the CSA was on the move, I do not see why you had trouble with the guns (I mean, they still going to be HARD to take, but they should of been takable)

Cav would help, but use them for there speed and to keep moving and getting on there flanks or rear, and if you have Dragoon Tactics, you can move in, fire and move out

are you firing or chargeing the guns ?, charges are dangerous

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 39
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 7:57:33 PM   
moose1999

I was charging a lot - and later I've found out that I was charging a socalled 'Richmond Howitzer'. At least that's what I think it was called, and the unit description called it the most devastating close-range artillery available.
So charging that was definately a risky strategy.

I've had better results since then, though.
In another battle I used Yate's Sharpshooters to rout an artillery unit (having just chosen 'telescopic sights' as an upgrade in the same round - so that was good timing...!). I lost the battle anyway - by in my latest battle I not only won but managed to capture two artillery units - among them the Richmond Howitzers that had given me such a headache. The battle was long and bloody and I won by a very slight margin, but it felt really good watching Lee run in the end.
We lost about 20.000 men each, but I won't miss mine as much as he'll miss his.

I took the guns by surrounding them and shooting them to pieces and though I got lucky with one them who got caught in some swampy terrain which hampered him alot, I still lost an incredible amount of men. I tried charging too, a few times, but as earlier the results were catastrophic - the artillery would loose 50-100 men while my infantry would take losses at around 1.500. So I'm not doing that anymore.

But as I said, now I've got his guns. So next time he comes at me he'll get a taste of his own medicine...!

Great game, this is!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 40
RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? - 12/7/2006 8:12:08 PM   
Hard Sarge

Kewl, glad it is enjoyable

ahh, Yates is a good one, you will learn to hate them when they are on the other side, along with Bredan

IIRC those should be 24 pound hows, and yes, they are nasty up close

ahhh, if you can, stay away from Arty !, don't close in on them, you need to get as close as you can to do damage, while keeping the damage you take as low as you can

(hassle being, most guns do much more damage at range 3 then any rifle, so terrain, or digging in (if you can) are great)

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Tearing down a stone wall...? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI