Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 5:58:28 AM   
Hard Sarge

RB

I think some of what you are seeing is the level of the game you are playing, the AI changes what it wants and will do, based on how good the troops are, the better the morale, the more it will try to do

the July campaign was a Mod and add on, it was not tested for balance, part of the idea of the late war start for the game is get in a major early battle and then the winter rebuild period, which the July start leaves the Union in a very poor state, and a good player can ruin the Union Army before 62 rolls around

I got some ideas, will see what the "boys" think

(in reply to regularbird)
Post #: 451
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 6:33:24 AM   
regularbird

HS,

I play on the major general level.  Don't get me wrong because I find the Tactical AI rather challenging which is nice.  I understand about the july scenario, I am holding out hope that Eric addresses it with this next patch.  I am currently in a standard scenario so far not impressed with the Union AI I will hold any other comments until I destroy them.

< Message edited by regularbird -- 1/1/2007 6:43:47 AM >

Post #: 452
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 10:10:44 AM   
Berkut

Some technical wishes:

Find someone to tighten up the code. Loading the game takes forever. Exiting the game taxkes forever. It takes everal seconds just to bring up the standard Windows File Selection dialogue when loading a PBEM game!

And definitely get the resolution thing sorted out. Kind of silly that the game cannot run in my desktop resolution.

Post #: 453
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 10:12:58 AM   
Berkut

Game play wishes:

1. A turn/QB replay. I play exclusively PBEM, and the lack of this is really kind of alarming. Frankly, I would not have purchased the game had I known it was missing such a core piece of functionality.

2. More information. Related to above, but right now when I lose a fight, I have no idea why. Do my generals stink? Their staffs? Bad luck? Lack of supplies? Low quality troops? Poor weapons? Who knows? And there doesn't seem to be any way to find out.

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 454
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 9:21:19 PM   
ericbabe

There's not much in the loading or exiting code that can be tightened, unfortunately.  The delay in loading occurs in a series of calls to standard Windows routines that load graphics and other data from the harddrive; it's longer on systems which need to use some virtual memory.  Exiting delay is also related to virtual memory caching during memory deallocation, and there's not a lot we can do about that.

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 455
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 10:39:14 PM   
General Quarters

Gosh, eric, shouldn't you be watching football? I'm not a fan myself, but every wargamer I know is.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 456
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 10:51:25 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

Stats
Maybe somebody has already pointed this out but, in case they haven't, sometimes one of the stat lines for USA or CSU is at the very top or bottom border and is very hard to see. In general, I find those very thin, pale lines hard to see.

I'm not sure what you're describing. Perhaps post a screenshot, so we can judge what's going on.

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 457
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 10:52:13 PM   
General Quarters

There has been considerable discussion of the possible consequences of British or French intervention other than their sending troops, which seems implausible. I don't know how the game currently models foreign intervention, other than sending troops, but one consequence surely would have been a strengthening of National Will and political support for the administration in the South, and a corresponding weakening of both in the North.

Post #: 458
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 10:56:01 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

Hopefully the promised "Historical Scenarios" will correct this anomaly and make the raids and rail cutting a more realistic Southern ploy. Have to agree in the current scenarios it's overkill.....

Mike, please elaborate. I'm not sure what you're hoping to see done.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 459
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 11:10:05 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: spruce

I whish general skills could be rebalanced - somewhat lesser stats for a large bulk of confederate generals.

As the bios project progresses, the random ratings for 9-percenters are being replaced with historical ratings, so this will change over time.

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 460
RE: Wish List - 1/1/2007 11:19:39 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thresh

Unless I have missed it somehweres, a "Go To" command would be nice.

I cannot say how many minutes I have spent after clicking on a container to march it, only to have to micromanage my mouse in weird ways (without clicking on something else in the area and thus ending my proposed move) in order to get said container to where I want it to go.

It would be nice to click on a container in say, Paducah, click on goto, choose Memphis (I can't remember the district Memphis is in, sorry) click yes and be done with it.

Thresh

This idea, if implemented, would hurt the player: you need to see those arrows to get a sense of how far your units can get, and how likely they are to get there.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 461
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 12:11:03 AM   
Paper Tiger

Playing USA on highest level vs computer.
The AI is not good enough I am winning.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 462
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 12:18:07 AM   
Paper Tiger

The computer leaves Divisions and Corps out on a limb easy to cut off and then destroy, it attacks and seiges cities which are far too heavily defended and just allows itself to be destroyed.
Program it to switch to encircle if it is taking far too many casualties in a seige, program it to try and retreat back to it's own lines if it gets cut off.

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 463
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 1:47:51 AM   
General Quarters

It would make sense if units in a city or fort under siege were be at higher risk of disease.

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 464
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 1:52:35 AM   
General Quarters

An un-wish:

Many of us keep suggesting various additions and complexifications that would add a further historical touch or just be cool.  But I remember ericbabe saying that he assumed that most people who play a civil war game want it to focus on armies and battles.  That is right on target.  Don't add so many gadgets that the game loses that focus.  

Post #: 465
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 5:08:14 AM   
christof139

Hi GQ,

Good point. I don't use disease because I don't like disease, either in the game or in the RW. It is OK for those that want it, but with pursuit losses and etc. I feel I don't need it.

Simplicity and ease of operatioan iis generally the best route to follow.

Post #: 466
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 2:12:43 PM   
Jonathan Palfrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139
Simplicity and ease of operation is generally the best route to follow.

Amen to that.

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 467
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 3:32:59 PM   
Ironclad

A way to check terrain type on screen would be helpful.

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 468
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 7:46:18 PM   
Berkut

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

There's not much in the loading or exiting code that can be tightened, unfortunately. The delay in loading occurs in a series of calls to standard Windows routines that load graphics and other data from the harddrive; it's longer on systems which need to use some virtual memory. Exiting delay is also related to virtual memory caching during memory deallocation, and there's not a lot we can do about that.

Not to belabor the point, but I play a lot of games. And I have a rather serious system to do so.

And I have *never* seen a game take several seconds to load the standard Windows file dialogue screen. FoF takes considerably longer to load than the vasy majority of games I play.

I guess if you say there is no optimization to be done, then there isn't much point in bringing it up. As a professional software engineer (albeit NOT a game coder), I am skeptical that the game is as tight as it should be.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 469
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 10:03:52 PM   
General Quarters

It would be nice if there were tool-tips as you pass over buildings on the City Screen. Theoretically, you could recognize all the buildings but I do not. A tool-tip would be a nicer way to access that info than having to scroll down the list on the right -- and give some relief to my tired index finger.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 470
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 10:08:30 PM   
General Quarters

Governor's requests

Right now information you need to evaluate whether to respond to the request (such as governor's temper) is nowhere on the same screen as the ability to give the build order, so one has to go back and forth to perform a single action. It would be great if both info and orders were present on the same screen, probably the City Screen.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 471
RE: Wish List - 1/2/2007 10:54:41 PM   
Thresh

Gil,

If I am in Paducah, and want to go to the area to where Memphis and the four forts are, I don't care about how far I "might be able to move", I care that I am spending more than a minute trying to get my mouse posistioned in such a way that the mover order will actually go through without clicking on another item within the area and nulling what I want to do. It should not be that hard to move a stack.

Besides, whats the difference between setting a "Go To" order, and having a newly mustered Infantry unit in Topeka sent to "Join" the Army of Potomac in Annapolis?

If Players want a stack of conatiners to move a long distance, I don't think they are to worried about how far it goes each turn, as long as it gets there they will be happy.

Theres enough micromanagemen in the game already, my mouse should not be one of them.

YMMV,

Thresh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thresh

Unless I have missed it somehweres, a "Go To" command would be nice.

I cannot say how many minutes I have spent after clicking on a container to march it, only to have to micromanage my mouse in weird ways (without clicking on something else in the area and thus ending my proposed move) in order to get said container to where I want it to go.

It would be nice to click on a container in say, Paducah, click on goto, choose Memphis (I can't remember the district Memphis is in, sorry) click yes and be done with it.

Thresh

This idea, if implemented, would hurt the player: you need to see those arrows to get a sense of how far your units can get, and how likely they are to get there.

< Message edited by Thresh -- 1/3/2007 5:05:04 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 472
RE: Wish List - 1/3/2007 5:10:44 AM   
DrewGator

I would like to second a vote for windowed mode. I have my computer dual headed and when playing FoF the primary monitor is full screen but the secondary monitor while visible is not accessible unless I Alt-Tab to another program.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 473
RE: Wish List - 1/3/2007 6:17:02 AM   
General Quarters

Playing my first fog of war game, I find that, on the Overview map, I can see enemy troops I am not supposed to see.

(in reply to DrewGator)
Post #: 474
RE: Wish List - 1/3/2007 7:15:52 AM   
Twotribes

I would like it if I could modify the number of Generals one can promote per Academies. I do not see this in any of the files.

I read somewhere that the standard was as follows.... 1.25 4 star per 5 acadamies, 2.5 3 Star per 5 academies and 5 2 Star per 5 academies. Is this correct? I know in my current game at 20 acadamies I can promote 6 4 star , 12 3 star and 23 2 star. This doesnt jive with the above list.

Post #: 475
RE: Wish List - 1/3/2007 7:37:32 PM   
Twotribes

Can the allowed numbers of weapon types be changed? I havent looked closely at that. If not add that to a file that can be modified. As in change the musket from only allowing 100 brigades to some other number. And yes I am aware you can exceed the number, but it gets progessively MORE expensive as you do.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 476
RE: Wish List - 1/3/2007 9:51:20 PM   
Berkut

I would suggest some kind of tweaking of the number of generals available under "normal" and "more".

Under "normal" it felt like I had nowhere near enough generals for my units. Not even close.

So we set it to "more" for our next PBEM game, and now I have them coming out of my ears! There are dozens of them! I wish I could just demote the stacks sitting in Washington to private and form another brigade out of them!

Something in between "not enough to come clsoe to commanding your armies" and enough to use them to build a bridge across the Potomac would be nice.

The large numbers would not be so bad if there was some way to turn off their display in the army list, btw. Maybe a toggle to hide 1-star generals?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 477
RE: Wish List - 1/3/2007 10:37:29 PM   
General Quarters

I agree that there are a bit two few generals on Normal, and somewhat more than I want on More.

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 478
RE: Wish List - 1/3/2007 11:56:33 PM   
Ironclad

My view too. Even despatching packs of generals westwards still leaves too many around Washington. We need a happy medium.

Post #: 479
RE: Wish List - 1/4/2007 12:15:32 AM   
Roger Neilson II

The expression 'famine or feast' sunms up the current situation. On Few setting I end up with large areas of the Union forces with no commanders for a long time, on lots setting I have more generals than troops to command...... to the point where i toy with putting them in their own division!

Roger

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Wish List Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI